Author Topic: Ihsahn - Eremita  (Read 12510 times)

Offline NoseofNicko

Re: Ihsahn - Eremita
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2016, 03:46:34 PM »
Really like the new album.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2016, 06:35:59 PM »
Yeah, Arktis is pretty great. Some really fantastic songs and an interesting range of influences.

It doesn't quite measure up to After, but I think I'll end up liking it a bit more than Eremita.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2016, 08:07:06 PM »
It doesn't quite measure up to After

Can anything, though? It's such a masterclass in avant-garde black metal. Concise, a real whirlwind at times, but so clear and melodic, with some truly incredible sax and bass playing. Just untouchable top to bottom.

Eremita is pretty damn good though.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2016, 11:57:52 PM »
First time I've ever heard any of his solo stuff, the new album really surprised me on how good it it and how much I enjoyed it.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2016, 02:03:09 PM »
On my first listen, and I'm really liking Arktis. Less experimental than Das Seelenbrechen, so I find it hard to compare the too, but it's definitely better than Eremita if it keeps up this quality all the way through (currently on In the Vaul).

EDIT: OK, this is even better in the second half. Honestly, this is probably my AotY right now, and I've only listened to it once. It's THAT good. Then again, I only have, like, eight albums from 2016 so far. But still.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:59:56 AM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2016, 01:55:45 AM »
That's great news :tup I'm going to listen to it in full today, I've already heard like 5 songs and it sounds way more accessible than his other stuff. When I'm done I'll see if I want to try 'After' cause I'm really intrigued, it seems to be the favorite here.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2016, 08:09:59 AM »
Definitely try After. Not a wasted moment on it.

I'm really loving Arktis. I'd say it's as experimental as Das Seelenbrechen, just in a different way – it incorporates way more synth focus, and several songs use more of a hard rock approach than metal (the opening song being a great example). Einar Solberg is all over this record, much more than he has been before, and he has some of the best moments on the record. What a talented vocalist.

Is there a story behind the bonus track? It sounds like a soundtrack to a short film.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2016, 02:45:43 AM »
Had a real urge to listen to Ihsahn yesterday, not sure exactly where it came from??

I only have After and angL but I love them both. Really cool albums. I've got a few Emperor albums but they don't scratch that itch like Ihsahn's solo output does.

I really need to get around to listening to his latest as it seems to be very well received  :metal not sure why I haven't already to be honest!!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2016, 05:19:53 AM »
Attended Ihsahn gig yesterday. I like some of After and most of Arktis and not familiar with the rest of the albums, so it's not like I'm a big fan of him or anything, just decided to see a gig a bit outside of my comfort zone. That said, I pretty much liked it.

The venue was pretty small and not packed, just as I suspected it would be. There were probably 400 people total. The setlist was Arktis-heavy—Pressure, Mass Darkness, MHiotN, Until I Too Dissolve and Celestial Violence with Ihsahn on all vocals—the last two songs being the highlights for me. Ihsahn said that Until I Too Dissolve is his attempt to write a 80s happy metal song and the audience received it very well (it is a great song, after all); and while Celestial Violence without Einar doesn't work that well (no harmonies in the ending), Ihsahn did a good job covering Einar's clean vocal parts. He also did a shrill scream on the last word in "The still anticipation of the scream" line, which was pretty damn great. The other highlights of the set were Hiber (an opener), A Grave Inversed and The Grave.

Ihsahn went to approach the crowd after the gig, which was nice of him, too. I didn't have anything to sign—the CDs at merch stand were damn expensive, starting from $25 and higher (they had After, Das Seelenbreechen, some other stuff and, curiously, some Leprous CDs)—so I just sat there and watched.

All in all, I doubt I will go see him again if he returns to Moscow one day, but it definitely was a nice experience. I'm glad that I went.

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2016, 06:41:06 AM »
Cool, thanks for the review :tup
If he came to my country I'd go only because of the newest album, I think it's that good. I should check his other album out, but my list is too big :/
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2018, 06:04:17 PM »
I'm on a bit of a Ihsahn kick at the moment. I recently got Das Seelenbrechen and Eremita and I really love both of them. I went on someone's recommendation, when choosing which of his solo albums to start with, and got After and angL. I do like both of those albums but I'm finding I like Das Seelenbrechen and Eremita more. Arktis is easily my favourite still and I'm proper hyped about his upcoming album.

I know he is well respected here on DTF and that Arktis was generally well received. Just interested as to how everyone else would rank his albums now that Arktis has been out nearly 2 years. I'd say that my album ranking is as follows:

• Arktis.
  • Das Seelenbrechen
  • Eremita
  • After
  • angL
  • The Adversary (but only because I haven't listened to it yet)

As you can see I actually rank them with every new release being better than the last  :lol If he keeps this trajectory then the next will be his best yet. May the 4th is going to be a great day as there are 3 other albums that I'm massively looking forward to.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2018, 07:46:34 AM »
After
angL
Arktis.
Eremita
Das Seelenbrechen

Haven't listened to the first album in full but from the bit I listened to it just sounds like a worse version of angL
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2018, 07:53:47 AM »
They'll probably never top After for me, and judging by the new single it seems like they're gonna release something similar to Arktis, which is fine but probably not gonna blow me away.

Das Seelenbrechen and Arktis are about equal in my rankings, Seelenbrechen has the better songs (Regen has got to be one of the single most epic songs I've ever heard) but Arktis is more consistent. Actually haven't heard the other albums, I should though
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2018, 11:55:29 AM »
Definitely check out angL. It's a bit rawer than After (and has no saxophone) but it's almost as good.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2018, 02:54:46 AM »
Damn, Das Seelenbrechen is quickly becoming my favourite album of his. Regan is just  :hefdaddy

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2018, 03:26:54 AM »
Yep, Regen is one of the most epic songs I have ever heard, doubt anything will change that anytime soon. I love songs that are basically just one huge buildup.

Gonna check out angL for sure Buddy, I just find myself constantly checking out other new stuff ahead of it :lol I can't help myself, I'm addicted to discovering music

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2018, 04:30:26 AM »
I can't help myself, I'm addicted to discovering music

We all feel you bro, it's the constant struggle

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2018, 03:38:23 AM »
Heard tons of great things about the new album, heard the first song and it's amaaaazing. Gonna listen to it in full soon cause I'm traveling for an hour :metal

The new Thy Catafalque is also good, very little metal compared to most of his albums though

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2018, 04:24:38 AM »
Heard tons of great things about the new album, heard the first song and it's amaaaazing. Gonna listen to it in full soon cause I'm traveling for an hour :metal

The new Thy Catafalque is also good, very little metal compared to most of his albums though

Yep, Samr (track 3) was probably my fave on first listen but definitely a contender for album of the year. I'm about half way through the new Thy Catafalque and you're right about the lack of metal. I'm absolutely fine with that. Hajnali Csillag is easily the standout track so far.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2018, 04:35:38 AM »
Favourite so far is In Rites of Passage, but the 3rd track is also really good. I kind of overrated the first track in my initial post revisiting it now :lol its still very good, but kind of samey.

Dont remember the name of my initial favourite of Geometria, but it was one of the singles, I believe track #3?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2018, 04:47:48 AM »
Wait, what? There's a new album?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2018, 04:54:01 AM »
There most certainly is! Today is a good day, new Ihsahn and Thy Catafalque. I've listened to both if them and now I'm into the new Dimmu Borgir and Frank Turner albums, I think my album ranking will change a fair bit within the next week.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2018, 07:11:56 AM »
I've listened to the new album a couple of times, I'm really liking it, I still can't point my favorite tracks. Great album for sure!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2019, 08:35:45 PM »
I mentioned over in the Blind Guardian thread that I recently stumbled onto Ihsahn and bought his whole solo catalog. I've listened to 4 of the 7 so far and am loving him but it's too early for any kind of opinion on each. gazinwales mentioned he was interested in hearing my opinions on this stuff.

I was going to wait until I had some more time but I am listening to After right now for the first time and, holy crap! I am loving this album. This album has really stuck out for me so far upon first listen. I am on Undercurrent right now and this album is just blowing me away. I am also amazed that the sax isn't bothering me at all. It just seems to fit. Wow, just loving this thing.

I'll come back here with some more opinions on the other albums when I get more time with them but I can already see After being very close to the top spot, if not in the top spot, when all is said and done.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2019, 11:23:48 PM »
I love the sax on After, it really stands out and is definitely something not often heard in this genre of metal.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2019, 10:39:40 PM »
I think I am pretty safe in giving a ranking on the albums. Das was difficult. It started great and then went off the rails for me.

These are grouped into sections. Consider them just about equal in their respective groupings.

I am actually revisiting Eremita right now and really digging it. It is right on After's toes.

After
Eremita

Artktis.
angL (love Unhealer with Akerfeldt)
Ámr

The Adversary (Not bad, just not as good as the rest. Can tell he was figuring out his solo identity.)

Das Seelenbrechen (can only tolerate about the first 4 tracks)

All in all, Ihsahn was a very satisfying find for me. I look forward to his future works.

EDIT: Side note, I really hope he maintains Tobias as his drummer. The difference was noticeable to me starting with Eremita.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2019, 07:40:16 AM »
After
angL
Arktis.
Eremita
Das Seelenbrechen

Haven't listened to the first album in full but from the bit I listened to it just sounds like a worse version of angL

This has stayed the same, except I'd put Ámr at the bottom. That album was a pretty big disappointment for me.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2019, 09:34:04 PM »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2019, 09:45:26 PM »
I saw that too. A bit worried about the Norwegian lyrics statement. If all the lyrics are that way I might skip. I have never been able to get into foreign language lyrics for some reason.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2019, 11:32:41 PM »
Non-English lyrics do not bother me at all.
If the music is good and has great vocal melodies I am all over it.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2019, 10:34:12 PM »
He dropped a new track a few days ago. I LOVE the music. He is singing in his native tongue. I still might have to pick this up, regardless of the language barrier.

https://youtu.be/xL0ZHYcuDe0

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2019, 07:43:36 AM »
sax is back baybee

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2020, 11:14:34 PM »
Telemark comes out Friday, but the price at Amazon for a physical copy is ridiculous. It's a 5 song EP and they want $12.59 right now. The mp3 version is $5. I really hope I can snag the physical for a better price.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2020, 09:14:43 AM »
Not sure how I feel about the new EP, I'm not really a fan of Stridig or the two covers but Nord and Telemark sounded a bit better.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2020, 07:31:06 PM »
Telemark comes out Friday, but the price at Amazon for a physical copy is ridiculous. It's a 5 song EP and they want $12.59 right now. The mp3 version is $5. I really hope I can snag the physical for a better price.

That's actually a pretty good price for the physical version.