Author Topic: The Occasional Cozmo Recommendation Thread  (Read 104946 times)

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: The Occasional Cozmo Recommendation Thread
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2009, 03:48:46 PM »
I have the House of Lords discog...mostly untouched..perhaps its time for a 'referesher'

did someone say Paul Gilbert........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lopEivpvqek

(sorry if this one is in here already)
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2009, 04:23:16 PM »
Bump! I figured I'd bring a classic artist video.  Good ol' Alice Cooper Teenage Frankenstein! :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdXGkrUgMHI&feature=PlayList&p=4BA006EA454D65E2&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=9

I saw this tour twice. One of the best ever..The Nightmare Returns!! Good call King!
Vinnie Vincent opened in Worcester and was very sick but still managed to come out and play 3 songs.

Oh..and for GuitarCozmo:
https://www.bravewords.com/news/129169
 :lol

TAC, I saw Alice at the Worcester Aud with Moterhead opening!  I made a promise never to see Motorhead just as a joke to spite my friend.  I didn't know Motorhead was opening and as I walked in they were playing the Ace of Spade and I went screaming down the hall, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The next day as I was working, my friend was let into my house by my parents and he hung Lemmy pictures over 10 Geddy Lee pictures and it took me a week to figure out what he did. DOH!

My revenge was to put a bumper sticker on his car reading, "Bigger than John Holmes".  He was getting beeped at for 2 weeks & couldn't figure out why.  When he saw it, he knew right away it was me.  He loved it(who wouldn't :D)  Two weeks later somebody stole the bumper sticker off his car! :D  Go figure.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2009, 07:26:25 PM »
Oh..and for GuitarCozmo:
https://www.bravewords.com/news/129169

Hah.  This really shouldn't come as any kind of surprise to anyone, really.  Too funny.

did someone say Paul Gilbert........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lopEivpvqek

NICE!  Tho TAC doesn't like them, I totally love Mr. Big.  I hope that this current reunion bit has them finding their way stateside.  No way I'd miss it.

Here's another of my favorite Mr. Big performances - Baba o' Riley, from the Live in San Francisco home video.

EDIT:  That one is gone apparently.  Here's a good copy from Budokan, with another bit "I Love You Tokyo" at the end, which I don't recognize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTRcvyuaqJA

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2009, 07:54:28 AM »

TAC, I saw Alice at the Worcester Aud with Moterhead opening!  I made a promise never to see Motorhead just as a joke to spite my friend.  I didn't know Motorhead was opening and as I walked in they were playing the Ace of Spade and I went screaming down the hall, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The next day as I was working, my friend was let into my house by my parents and he hung Lemmy pictures over 10 Geddy Lee pictures and it took me a week to figure out what he did. DOH!

My revenge was to put a bumper sticker on his car reading, "Bigger than John Holmes".  He was getting beeped at for 2 weeks & couldn't figure out why.  When he saw it, he knew right away it was me.  He loved it(who wouldn't :D)  Two weeks later somebody stole the bumper sticker off his car! :D  Go figure.

Good stuff.

Yeah, that was the second leg of the Raise Your Fist And Yell tour. I saw the first leg at the GARDEN!! They had Ace Frehley and Faster Pussycat opening. When we got to the show, we found out Ace would not be performing. WTF??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2009, 11:28:09 AM »
I loved Ace and I've seen him a few times.(The old Narrcicus club in Kenmore Square in Boston for one!)  Faster Pussycat wasn'y my thing though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2009, 06:32:58 AM »
I loved Ace and I've seen him a few times.(The old Narrcicus club in Kenmore Square in Boston for one!)  Faster Pussycat wasn'y my thing though.

I saw him at Narcissus!! A killer show. If I get a chance I'll post some pics!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2009, 07:06:14 AM »

If
I remember TAC he was late getting on stage.  Is that correct?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2009, 07:10:10 AM »
Hey Cozmo, finally got some Mr. Big over here!  Back at Budokan '09 has some really good stuff, especially the Baba O'Riley cover where Billy Sheehan has to do the guitar parts.  :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2009, 08:30:03 AM »
Their cover of Baba o' Riley has always been a favorite of mine.  That's a great set list on that recording.  Awesome!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2009, 08:46:48 AM »

If
I remember TAC he was late getting on stage.  Is that correct?

I don't remember, King,. While it was not uncommon for me to drink at concerts, it was very uncommon for me to be DRUNK, and this show was one of 'em.   :lol
This show was in either Nov or Dec of 92.

Here's a couple of pics:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2009, 10:44:47 AM »
Great pics TAC.  I might have to listen to Trouble Walkin'................... :metal "everybody's nightmare"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2009, 10:50:49 AM »
Trouble Walkin' is a great album! Did you get his new one? It's awesome!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2009, 10:54:51 AM »
Despite what the masses may think, I thought all of Ace's solo stuff had a good vibe to it.  Second Sighting was his weakest offering, but still not TOO bad.  Anomaly IS pretty damned awesome.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2009, 11:00:14 AM »
Trouble Walkin' is a great album! Did you get his new one? It's awesome!

Just got it for Christmas, listened to it twice.  I really like it, but I need to soak it in a little more.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2009, 11:01:07 AM »
I agree, it's all good.

Second Sighting isn't that bad. I think you can basically edit out the Todd stuff from the first 2 albums and make one great Ace album.

Loser In The Fight has such a good groove to it, and I freaking love The Acorn Is Spinning.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2010, 01:12:38 PM »
Bumped from the grave, it would appear.

Here's "Anytime" by McAuley Schenker group.  This is one of those songs that you can just totally get lost in and after it's over with, be like "Damn, why couldn't I have written that song?"  Killer.  Admittedly, I'm not very well versed in their work, but Robin McAuley has an awesome voice and we all know Michael Schenker can bring it.  Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-PTOxR_pQ

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2010, 02:17:44 PM »
Bumped from the grave, it would appear.

Here's "Anytime" by McAuley Schenker group.  This is one of those songs that you can just totally get lost in and after it's over with, be like "Damn, why couldn't I have written that song?"  Killer.  Admittedly, I'm not very well versed in their work, but Robin McAuley has an awesome voice and we all know Michael Schenker can bring it.  Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-PTOxR_pQ

Man I forgot about this song.  Great chorus.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2010, 02:19:07 PM »
It really is.  Power ballads are a dime a dozen, but this one really has a chorus that grabs you and stays with you.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2010, 02:21:18 PM »
It really is.  Power ballads are a dime a dozen, but this one really has a chorus that grabs you and stays with you.

McAuley seem so familiar.  What other bands did he sing in?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2010, 02:25:57 PM »
Nothing I'm HUGELY familiar with:

https://www.robinmcauley.com/discography.html

Of note, he is now the singer for Survivor.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2010, 02:31:21 PM »
Nothing I'm HUGELY familiar with:

https://www.robinmcauley.com/discography.html

Of note, he is now the singer for Survivor.

I new I heard that he replaced somebody!  He replaced Jimi Jamerson in 2007.  Thanks GC.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2010, 06:59:25 AM »
Speaking of Jimi Jameson, here's his pre Survivor band..Cobra.
This is a great early 80's tune..
Blood On Your Money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7RwF1oO6Mo&feature=related

From the same MSG album as Anytime, which BTW was to me, the worst of the 3, but it did have a couple good songs. The best McCauley Schenker song was on this album.
It's called Never Ending Nightmare
Here's the promo vid of the edited version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7RwF1oO6Mo&feature=related

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2010, 10:04:22 PM »
PUT SOCKS OVER YOUR EARS, FOR THEY ARE ABOUT TO EARGASM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LF0UdUZsGQ

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2010, 05:39:31 AM »
Interesting SF. It seems like 2 different singers..I checked out Fool's Gold and it was a different singer..no?
How about a little histiry,

Intereresting. You can definitely hear the 80's influence..Scorpions/Lucifer's Friend/Shy

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2010, 09:02:09 AM »
Every album has a different singer, mostly due to line up changes. Oh, and they are a Finnish band.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2010, 08:40:12 AM »
I see now why I called this the Occasional Cozmo Recommendation Thread.  :lol

Anyway, I heard a song last night I hadn't heard in a long time.  I wanted to share it for all those who are familiar to listen to again and for those who aren't, as you need to hear it.  It's Stevie Ray Vaughan's rendition of Jimi Hendrix' "Little Wing".  Now the Jimi version was unique on its own, but the main differences:  way shorter, xyolophone (which I never cared for), and lyrics.

Now admittedly, I heard the SRV version first and MANY times before ever hearing the Hendrix version, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have mattered.  For me, this is about as close as anybody gets to becoming one with their instrument.  For SRV, the guitar is an extension of his hands.  Like his blood flows through that guitar as a living part of him.  It's that amazing to me.

So there are a few things in particular I like about this version.  First off, the tone.  SRV has always had a guitar tone that could make mere mortal guitar players tremble.  It is at its absolute finest here.  The dynamics.  It starts out quiet and laid back, when the band comes in and has little accents throughout, then at the "chorus" it's like BAM!  Here I am, baby!  It's loud and passionate and amazing.  Then it quiets down again, etc.  Also, it shows what an overall great guitarist he was.  He knew when to lay back and when to lay it all out.  He's got some stunning licks in this one, but some nice lyrical lines also.  To take such a short and to the point song by Hendrix and craft it into a master class in blues guitar is awesome.

Here it is, over a Fender promotional video, mixed with various old SRV footage.  I think it really adds to the song though, given his love of Fender guitars.  Also, at one point they show back and forth footage of him and Hendrix, illustrating the way he paid tribute to his idol in his live performances.  Very cool.  Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdYRzH10L2M

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2010, 08:50:49 AM »
I think the timing is right to recommend Mean Streak, by Y&T.  A classic in every sense of the world.  (and Jeff Scott Soto can't sing it)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2010, 08:54:50 AM »
You raise a good point.  with that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W0iCAa361o

I always pick out the little things about a song that give it that extra oomph.  One of the things I love about this song is that little "Meeeeean Streeeeeak" harmony in the chorus background.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2010, 08:58:12 AM »
Tough song to sing, too, from what I hear.  Notice in this clip that when Jeff Scott Soto attempts it, he has to pass it back to Meniketti halfway though:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMhbowNH6_4
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2010, 09:04:03 AM »
Surprising, because Jeff Scott Soto is a badass singer.  Great voice.  I heard his first album with Talisman and WOW did his vouce ever sound amazing.  I posted a video of theirs as the first post in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ate3PCkraJI

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2010, 09:24:18 AM »
Is that the same Jeff Scott Soto who sang on the first 2 Yngwie albums? It doesn't sound or look like him.
Coz, that video had some gruesome posing going on..
..and Mean Streak kicks all sorts os f##king ass!! :metal :metal

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
Yes, the same guy.  He had much smaller hair previously, especially like on the live versions of "I'll See the Light Tonight".  He does sound a little different, but still, really great voice, whether then or now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2010, 09:33:18 AM »
Yes, the same guy.  He had much smaller hair previously, especially like on the live versions of "I'll See the Light Tonight".  He does sound a little different, but still, really great voice, whether then or now.
I saw Yngwie from the 5th row opening for AC/DC. Soto walked out and I thought..who's this midget?  :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2010, 09:34:32 AM »
Hahahaha.  He certainly isn't Joe Lynn Turner, but the dude is a pretty damn good singer.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2010, 02:13:48 PM »
When I saw SRV live, he did, Life Without You, and all they had was one, white spotlight on him and one white spotlight on a disco ball.  It was truly a goosebump moment.