Author Topic: The Occasional Cozmo Recommendation Thread  (Read 104921 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: The Occasional Cozmo Recommendation Thread
« Reply #490 on: December 06, 2013, 08:15:37 AM »
Good stuff.  I'd heard of Tyketto and actually HAVE that album.  I think I listened to it once, but I think I need to go dig that CD back out and give it another chance.  Never heard of the other three, but Harnell DOES have a damn good voice.  And the singe rin American Angel appears to have been going for a bit of a Jeff Keith kinda look in the live shots.  :lol

Here's a classic.  Tonight It's You, from Cheap Trick's 1985 album Standing on the Edge.  Written by then bassist Jon Brant and songwriter Mark Radice, this song is everything that's great about Cheap Trick.  Restrained verses with little vocal quirks from Rick Nielsen that give way to a powerful pre-chorus as the band lets loose.  Then a near anthemic chorus that showcases one of the (in my opinion) greatest sounding vocal harmonies ever recorded.  The whole song just builds.  RZ in the lower register for the first verse, then cranks it up an octave for the second verse, then he's ALL over the bridge.  Then ending the entire song with that eargasm vocal harmony lingering?  It doesn't get much better.  God, I love this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL251usi-K8

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #491 on: December 06, 2013, 08:35:53 AM »
Awesome thread - like a who's who of my CD collection and you started it with Talisman - impeccable taste  :hefdaddy

Did you ever do a Top 50 Sir GuitarCozmo??   
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #492 on: December 06, 2013, 08:41:01 AM »
Thanks.  That whole first Talisman album is amazing.  JSS is a ridiculous singer.  Listen to the solo in "Just Between Us" and tell me it doesn't remind you of Whitesnake's "Is This Love".

Actually, I've thought about it, but man would I ever have a hard time with it.  I really should sit down and try to figure one out.  It would take a long time for me to really be honest with myself and map it out, but in the end, I think it would be worth it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #493 on: December 06, 2013, 08:50:23 AM »
Thanks.  That whole first Talisman album is amazing.  JSS is a ridiculous singer.  Listen to the solo in "Just Between Us" and tell me it doesn't remind you of Whitesnake's "Is This Love".

Actually, I've thought about it, but man would I ever have a hard time with it.  I really should sit down and try to figure one out.  It would take a long time for me to really be honest with myself and map it out, but in the end, I think it would be worth it.

You're darn right it would!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #494 on: December 06, 2013, 09:03:52 AM »
It would probably be the most followed Top 50.  Don't disappoint your fans.   ;)

Yeah, I think American Angel's singer had the Jeff Keith image for a while.   I forgot to mention that Morning Wood also featured Al Pitrelli and Danny Miranda. Now I think Tony Harnell is working with Bumblefoot.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #495 on: December 06, 2013, 09:06:11 AM »
I really do think I'm going to have to do this now.  :lol

Interestingly, there would be songs on where people would be like "Never would've expected that, but it makes sense."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: December 06, 2013, 09:08:10 AM »
Now I think Tony Harnell is working with Bumblefoot.

........and back with TNT
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #497 on: December 06, 2013, 09:09:38 AM »
Eddie Trunk's 30th Anniversary Show:

Tony Harnell
Billy Sheehan
Ron Thal
Mike Portnoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auntaVfNSZI

Now I think Tony Harnell is working with Bumblefoot.

........and back with TNT

Again?  I must have missed that news. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #498 on: December 06, 2013, 10:13:04 AM »
I see that people are doing a lot of Top 50 albums threads, but are there a lot of top 50 songs threads?  I'd have a much harder time coming up with my 50 favorite albums, I think.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #499 on: December 06, 2013, 12:54:36 PM »
I would go crazy trying to do one of those.  Not sure what criteria I would use.  If I were strictly going by what albums I think are "best" and that I like the most, it would be a boring list because there would be a TON of Dream Theater, Neal Morse, and Transatlantic dominating too many spots.  But then there are older albums that are hard to fit in where I feel like they are influential, and I loved them awhile back, but they haven't stood the test of time with me and I don't like them much anymore.  And then there are also some where I wouldn't normally consider them as good as anything else in my top 50, but just feel like a top 50 list doesn't feel right without including something by certain bands.  So, yeah, I have no idea how I would go about that either.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #500 on: December 06, 2013, 12:57:59 PM »
For mine, my main criteria was that in some point in my life, an album had a serious impact or some long term playtime. For example, I had the Plimsouls on my list, though I maybe listened to them just a few times since I was in my teens, but for a few years, they were a constant.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #501 on: December 06, 2013, 12:58:46 PM »
I mean, there are way more songs that mean something to me than there are albums.  That said, I could muster up a top 50 albums, if I really sat and thought about it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #502 on: December 06, 2013, 01:50:03 PM »
I mean, there are way more songs that mean something to me than there are albums.  That said, I could muster up a top 50 albums, if I really sat and thought about it.

Done yet?    ;D     :hat

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #503 on: December 06, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
Nah, not today.  Plus, it'd be a long time til I could post one.  The waiting list is already long, and people like to tease a handful of albums every few days and it takes forever, it seems.  I wouldn't even be up til lke March.  :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #504 on: December 06, 2013, 01:59:17 PM »
I would go crazy trying to do one of those.  Not sure what criteria I would use.  If I were strictly going by what albums I think are "best" and that I like the most, it would be a boring list because there would be a TON of Dream Theater, Neal Morse, and Transatlantic dominating too many spots.  But then there are older albums that are hard to fit in where I feel like they are influential, and I loved them awhile back, but they haven't stood the test of time with me and I don't like them much anymore.  And then there are also some where I wouldn't normally consider them as good as anything else in my top 50, but just feel like a top 50 list doesn't feel right without including something by certain bands. So, yeah, I have no idea how I would go about that either.

that sounds like a plan to me  :biggrin: Just limit each band to 2 entries. That's what I did- makes it easier but also harder too.
I want to see that top 50, Sir Guitar Cozmos' too.

Oh, and those first 2 Tyketto albums are awesome. Danny Vaughan is a great singer.
That Valentine album is great.
Didn't really like the Morning Wood but it was fine for what it was. TNT's Tell No Tales is up there but after that not much of their stuff did it for me. Harnell was excellent with Starbreaker and Westworld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWPEuGDGw74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiZndRpe7J0
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:05:56 PM by Lowdz »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #505 on: December 06, 2013, 06:24:40 PM »
I would go crazy trying to do one of those.  Not sure what criteria I would use.  If I were strictly going by what albums I think are "best" and that I like the most, it would be a boring list because there would be a TON of Dream Theater, Neal Morse, and Transatlantic dominating too many spots.  But then there are older albums that are hard to fit in where I feel like they are influential, and I loved them awhile back, but they haven't stood the test of time with me and I don't like them much anymore.  And then there are also some where I wouldn't normally consider them as good as anything else in my top 50, but just feel like a top 50 list doesn't feel right without including something by certain bands. So, yeah, I have no idea how I would go about that either.

that sounds like a plan to me  :biggrin: Just limit each band to 2 entries. That's what I did- makes it easier but also harder too.
I want to see that top 50, Sir Guitar Cozmos' too.

Oh, and those first 2 Tyketto albums are awesome. Danny Vaughan is a great singer.
That Valentine album is great.
Didn't really like the Morning Wood but it was fine for what it was. TNT's Tell No Tales is up there but after that not much of their stuff did it for me. Harnell was excellent with Starbreaker and Westworld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWPEuGDGw74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiZndRpe7J0

Westworld were really good.  I saw them live in Brooklyn a few years back.  Tony's voice was still so powerful.  You posted a link to one of my favorite Westworld songs.  When I first heard that track, it reminded me of TNT big time.  Tell No Tales and Realized Fantasies were my two favorite TNT releases.

I was a huge fan of Valentine when they first released that CD.  It was disappointing that they didn't last so long though I know a few years back they released a new CD.  I was glad to see that Hugo kept putting out music. I have the first two which are really good.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #506 on: December 06, 2013, 06:27:23 PM »

So are you telling me *I* need to do one now?  :lol

And that 2 entries per band rule makes it REALLY tough.  That means a BUNCH of Poison albums I'm going to have to leave off...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:46:53 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: December 07, 2013, 06:02:41 AM »

And that 2 entries per band rule makes it REALLY tough.  That means a BUNCH of Poison albums I'm going to have to leave off...

I'd be all over this like a pack of hyena's on flesh and blood.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #508 on: December 07, 2013, 06:29:41 AM »
*groan*

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #509 on: December 07, 2013, 01:56:22 PM »

As long as the Winger stays in...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #510 on: December 07, 2013, 07:47:43 PM »
You know that's gonna be in TAC's top 10.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #511 on: February 14, 2014, 07:41:03 AM »
So I saw Biff Byford on That Metal Show the other day and after seeing Paul Gilbert's page on his website about musicians with similar first and last names (Robbie Robertson, Kris Kristofferson, Vinnie Vincent, Steve Stevens, etc.), celebrating Biff Byford, I thought I'd look into them a little.  I haven't gotten far.  I just checked out the video for Sacrifice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d_6BkhKPAk

And WHOA, holy shit!  That was awesome!  Now I recognize that's their latest stuff, so it's gonna be very well produced, compared to their older stuff.  Which is where I'm going.  There's a lot of back catalog Saxon stuff, and I have no idea where to start.  I know there's some Saxon fans on the forum, so some suggestions would be excellent.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: February 14, 2014, 07:54:24 AM »
I think TAC and/or Lowdz were the two bozo's that got me to buy into a killer Saxon (early years) box-set, and their Live DVD from a couple of their Wacken appearances.  Yeah, they put on a great show.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #513 on: February 14, 2014, 01:05:40 PM »
OK, Bozo reporting!

Coz, Saxon is a great band. I'll make the same recs for you as I did for J-Boy.

The first would a box set of their first 6 albums called Saxon: The Carrere Years (Carrere was their label in those days)
https://www.amazon.com/Carrere-Years-1979-1984-Saxon/dp/B0079043T8/ref=sr_1_1_title_1_aud?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1392407459&sr=1-1&keywords=saxon+the+carrere+years

It contains their first 6 albums plus a Live Album
Saxon
Wheels Of Steel
Denim & Leather
Strong Arm Of The Law
Power And The Glory
Crusader

The first four have a fairly raw production. I liken the jump from Strong Arm to Power And The Glory like going from Highway To Hell to Back In Black, if you follow.

If you can swing the Box set, I'd get that. If not, the two to get would be P&G and Wheels Of Steel.

After Crusader (released in 84), they struggled through the rest of the 80's and I lost touch with them. It wouldn't be until Lionheart was released in the early 00's that I would reconnect with them. In fact their last half dozen albums have been excellent, including Sacrifice, which may be the best of the bunch.

I would also recommend :
Heavy Metal Thunder:Eagles Over Wacken
https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Metal-Thunder-Eagles-Wacken/dp/B007G8SET8/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1392407302&sr=1-7&keywords=Saxon

It is their Wacken performance of a couple years ago, and has a great cross section of their entire career.

I think Saxon would be a great find for you. They are a legendary metal band.

Enjoy, brother!

Oh and BTW, Yuengling will start being distributed up here in March!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #514 on: February 14, 2014, 01:14:29 PM »
  I'd have a much harder time coming up with my 50 favorite albums, I think.

Not sure what criteria I would use.

The criteria I used was basically, if I could only listen to 50 albums for the rest of my life, which ones would they be and why.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #515 on: February 14, 2014, 01:31:31 PM »
Outstanding.  That's a lot of excellent information.  I'll get right on with some listening, ASAP.  Thanks!

And hell yeah!  Good for you.  Yuengling is still my favorite.  However, if you ever manage to visit Rochester - You absolutely have to hit up Rohrbach Brewery.  Try their Scotch Ale.  You won't be sorry.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #516 on: February 14, 2014, 03:37:21 PM »
Outstanding.  That's a lot of excellent information.  I'll get right on with some listening, ASAP.  Thanks!

And hell yeah!  Good for you.  Yuengling is still my favorite.  However, if you ever manage to visit Rochester - You absolutely have to hit up Rohrbach Brewery.  Try their Scotch Ale.  You won't be sorry.

I grew up in the town next door to Rochester...Massachusetts that is! :D

Speaking of Scotch Ale, I recently discovered Innis & Gunn, in Disney World, of all places. Man, that stuff is potent.

Keep me up to date on the Saxon.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: February 14, 2014, 03:40:06 PM »
Lionheart was my first Saxon album and is still my favouriter.  Probably for that reason.  Quality band.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #518 on: February 25, 2014, 08:23:11 AM »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #519 on: February 25, 2014, 08:30:17 AM »
Wow that has 70's written all over it.  Not only in the hair and outfits, but the thick maj/min chords and embellishments on them (in a higher register, as opposed to more lower register power chords), drenched in really shallow phaser, and the abrupt chord stops and such.  Lots of 16th note triplet drum fills.  Wow.

That said, still really cool.  Good stuff.  And a killer solo.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #520 on: February 25, 2014, 08:55:07 AM »
Yeah, that's all pretty spot on.  They are obviously more well-known for their '80s output, but they really got their start in the '70s.  They tried to get back to an updated version of that '70s sound in the mid-90's, with mixed results.  Here is a great example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u679RWMJ2j4

Kind of a spacey intro for about 1:40, followed by extreme wah abuse when the main riff eventually kicks in, and a REALLY fun solo around the 4:00 mark.  I wish there was a good live version of this song out there.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #521 on: April 03, 2014, 06:58:39 AM »
What I'm listening to in the office today:

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #522 on: April 03, 2014, 07:09:17 AM »
The track list:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #523 on: April 03, 2014, 07:15:08 AM »
I would love to hear the original Once Around The Ride.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #524 on: April 03, 2014, 08:55:03 AM »
Is that a bootleg, or is it an official release?