Author Topic: The Occasional Cozmo Recommendation Thread  (Read 104897 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Occasional Cozmo Recommendation Thread
« Reply #455 on: April 16, 2012, 04:54:56 PM »
Wow, she has a killer voice.  Never heard that band before.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #456 on: April 17, 2012, 03:00:58 PM »
Wow, she has a killer voice.  Never heard that band before.

yeah, one great album then nothing.

Another favourite female singer was Joanna Dean. More straight forward rock but a great bluesy voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAa4cpvZkXg

And this one. Saraya had two great albums, the 2nd being quite Queensryche- Empire ish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uojjS6ESAHk&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9wW5ahkygg&feature=related

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #457 on: April 18, 2012, 12:23:56 AM »
Here is a pair from some of our Canadian friends (thanks for making me take a trip down memory lane, lonestar!):

Heavy Metal Shuffle

Alive and Kickin'

EDIT:  And for all those '80s metal fans who are also Transformers fans (i.e., Blob), I have to submit one under their "fake" name of Spectre General:  Hunger (from the 1986 Transformers movie)

:mtmte:

hehe :metal Coincidentally, you have no idea how many times I listened to that song yesterday (plus the rest of the soundtrack, plus the King Kobra version).
I have Vices, but never much got into it. Maybe I should give it another chance, given how much I love their Transformers contribution.

:mtmte:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #458 on: April 18, 2012, 07:01:55 AM »
I have Vices

I don't.  :(  It's pretty high up on my "out of print obscure '80s metal albums to eventually acquire if I can someday find them" list (along with Stairway To Heaven/Highway To Hell (Make A Difference Foundation) and Sahara (House Of Lords)). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #459 on: April 18, 2012, 08:00:13 AM »
I have Vices

I don't.  :(  It's pretty high up on my "out of print obscure '80s metal albums to eventually acquire if I can someday find them" list (along with Stairway To Heaven/Highway To Hell (Make A Difference Foundation) and Sahara (House Of Lords)).

See Ytse's title.

Im on it.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #460 on: May 24, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »
For those of you who may not have seen it in my M3 review, here's a newer track from Night Ranger, called Growin' up in California, from 2011's "Somewhere in California" album.  This is the kinda thing you'd want to crank in the convertible, while doing 80 down the highway.  Preferably the PCH.  Awesome.  Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6CfEKIubSY

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: May 24, 2012, 10:38:37 AM »
It has that 80's fun lovin' Night Ranger sound of the 80's.  Like The Secret Of My Success.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #462 on: May 24, 2012, 10:40:34 AM »
And You Can Still (Rock in America).  It's songs like these that are what I love most about 80's music.  The way that you can't help but feel in a good, fun mood from listening to it.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #463 on: May 24, 2012, 10:50:44 AM »
Damn fine Coz.  Damn fine.  lyrics aren't all that deep (they aren't too cheesy though).  Good hooks, good guitar licks, nice vocals... me likey.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #464 on: May 24, 2012, 10:55:15 AM »
Glad you like it.  The lyrics DO strike the perfect balance of lack of depth and a touch of cheese (not to be confused with "the cheese touch").  If I grew up in California, I would love this song even more than I do now.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: May 24, 2012, 11:15:54 AM »
At first, I was thinking it was incredibly cheesy, but then it dawned on me, and just gave me the same sense as Rock 'n' Roll Band.  They're just telling a story about one part of their life.  Nothing wrong with that at all.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: May 24, 2012, 11:54:22 AM »
Alright Coz.  In your honor I'm playing the 7 Wishes album in my office right now!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #467 on: May 24, 2012, 12:27:36 PM »
Excellent.  Good album.  I was pleasantly surprised that they did Four in the Morning at M3.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #468 on: May 24, 2012, 01:34:43 PM »
For those of you who may not have seen it in my M3 review, here's a newer track from Night Ranger, called Growin' up in California, from 2011's "Somewhere in California" album.  This is the kinda thing you'd want to crank in the convertible, while doing 80 down the highway.  Preferably the PCH.  Awesome.  Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6CfEKIubSY

That NR album is awesome... my second favourite album of last year.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #469 on: May 24, 2012, 01:55:55 PM »
Lay it On Me was the only other one they played from SIC, but based on those two, I really need to get this album.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #470 on: September 11, 2012, 03:39:46 PM »
Zombie thread bump.  Found my old Paul Gilbert "Raw Blues Power" disc with his uncle Jimi Kidd and was reminded what an excellent tune 12 Days of the Blues is.  Upbeat, great guitar, and some pretty humorous lyrics in some parts.  Fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiqsH-UTZNk

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #471 on: September 12, 2012, 01:03:25 PM »
Another excellent one I'd forgotten about.  Jason Becker covers Dylan's "Meet Me in the Morning".  A FAR better version than the original, IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mihzWUhBf6g

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: September 12, 2012, 03:23:17 PM »
Damn it's been a long time since I heard that cover.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #473 on: October 12, 2012, 11:21:55 AM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #474 on: December 06, 2012, 11:13:13 AM »
Okay, I know I throw the Y&T name around a lot, but just have to mention them again.  Background:  It has become a tradition over the last decade or so that in November, they play a weekend of shows at the Mystic Theater in Petaluma, California, and it has really turned into a giant fan appreciation night where a lot of cool things happen.  This year, they recorded and released a 2-disk collection of songs from the show.  A lot of times, they will extend the show a bit by taking fan requests and deviating from the set list just to have a little fun and play some stuff people want to hear that they don't normally play as often.  It's really cool when they do it.  And obviously, having 14 studio albums worth of material, they can't possibly remember every song.  But this time was pretty cool.  Here are a pair of fan requested songs.  Lipstick & Leather isn't that big a surprise, since it was more or less a B-tier single for them in the '80s, and finds its way into the set lists regularly enough.  But Sail On By is a pretty deep cut on a pretty obscure album, and they haven't played it in awhile, so it was cool that they not only played it, but played it so well.  REALLY nice performance of both songs, as well as Dave just having fun with the crowd:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ji9JwFFUuE&list=PL73uwrdmu_M6iZVBbxpoxU1RMilktfZgY&playnext=9&feature=autoplay

Cozmo, I highly recommend for your viewing pleasure.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #475 on: December 06, 2012, 11:15:52 AM »
I thought for sure you were going to say they DID do War Pigs this time.  :lol  I'll give it a listen shortly.  Have to bring it up via phone since Youtube is now no longer properly accessible here.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #476 on: December 06, 2012, 11:28:18 AM »
I thought for sure you were going to say they DID do War Pigs this time.  :lol 

:rollin

I just posted on the Y&T/Meniketti forum:  "Dave, if there ever ends up being a "next time," can we do War Pigs?"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #477 on: December 06, 2012, 11:35:42 AM »
Okay, here are a couple of non-Y&T recommendations:

Kick Axe - Dreamin' About You (live):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_9f3PEU6fs

House of Lords - Someday When (new official video):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va6gk6GYgfs

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #478 on: December 06, 2012, 11:42:35 AM »
Another new one: 

Doro - Raise Your Fist In The Air (official video):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCOGy0CvR9Y

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: December 07, 2012, 03:58:20 AM »
House of Lords - Someday When (new official video):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va6gk6GYgfs

The latest album (which this song comes from) is absolutely killer.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #480 on: December 07, 2012, 06:17:11 AM »
Good tunes.  I thought Sail on By was an excellent song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #481 on: January 18, 2013, 12:06:53 PM »
This song came up jokingly in a discussion with one of my frieds a few minutes ago, and I immediately thought of this thread:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfxel7IgXSk

Not sure I'd consider it a "recommendation," per se.  Overly sappy ballad that is somewhat hard to take seriously.  But it's also not bad, and Britney Fox were a good, but unfortunately underrated band that didn't quite get the break they deserved due to (1) coming on the scene just a bit late and (2) people mistaking them for a mere "Cinderella rip-off" band and not realizing that they were half of the founding members of Cinderella in the first place (or knowing, but just not caring). 

Some stronger entries from them:

Long Way To Love:  One of the stronger tracks from their debut album, and IMO better than the more familiar Girl School.  Really cool and deceptively simple riff.  (Man, to think what DeMartini and Crosby from Ratt or someone like Jake E. Lee could have done with this riff!)  This song also shows off Michael Kelly Smith's ability to craft incredibly melodic solos with plenty of hook and just the right amount of flash to impress without distracting from the melodic aspects.

Six Guns Loaded:  TERRIFIC song off their third album.  This album as a whole was outstanding.  They really made a great move by dumping Dizzy Dean on lead guitar and vox, and replacing him with Tommy Paris.  He was not only a better player and singer, but helped them move away from the "Cinderella clone" image and form their own identity.  Unfortunately, the timing was all wrong for them.  It was 1991.  Not hard to figure out why hardly anyone noticed this album.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #482 on: January 18, 2013, 12:11:05 PM »
Long Way to Love is excellent.  I'll check out the others.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: January 18, 2013, 12:30:16 PM »
Damn... I vaguely recall this act.  Couple of good tunes there bosky (the latter 2 - that power ballad was unimpressive ... most unimpressive :bosky:)

Thought I'd leave this here.  Not sure if these guys got any exposure south of the border.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sLvsQbvHog

Everything that was glorious about glam/hair metal.   :hefdaddy

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #484 on: January 28, 2013, 09:09:08 AM »
Breaking with tradition just a bit since this isn't really a "band" recommendation, but I have to recommend a recent live video of two bands that are definitely relevant to this thread.  This is Todd LaTorre of Queensryche performing with Stryper.  Todd absolutely tears it up here on Stryper's Surrender and Iron Maiden's The Trooper.  Check it out:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DO0Z9HxC0Rw

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #485 on: January 30, 2013, 11:17:09 AM »
I saw this the other day and forgot to check out the video.  So extremely badass.  I'm still pretty blown away by how awesome Stryper was at M3 last year.  I'm looking forward to hearing some proper recordings of Todd, as all I've heard are live videos.  But, since I haven't been paying much attention, maybe there are already some studio recordings of the new QR that I missed?  I don't know.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #486 on: January 30, 2013, 11:20:01 AM »
I'm looking forward to hearing some proper recordings of Todd, as all I've heard are live videos.  But, since I haven't been paying much attention, maybe there are already some studio recordings of the new QR that I missed?  I don't know.

Not really.  There was a video "trailer" or sorts for when they went in the studio that had a mashup of some of the demo stuff they've done, but while it sounded good, it was all clips and hard to sort out.  There aren't any real studio recordings of him yet.  But soon...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #487 on: January 30, 2013, 11:23:08 AM »
What I HAVE heard of him has been outstanding, so I'm definitely looking forward to getting to hear him in something other than a live video.  Should be killer.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #488 on: June 17, 2013, 10:48:29 AM »
You know what's awesome?  The Ventures' extended version of Santo and Johnny's "Sleepwalk".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZHBg6Y3vyc
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:20:52 AM by Sir GuitarCozmo »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #489 on: November 07, 2013, 09:36:52 AM »
American Angel - How Can I Miss You  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6gF7TUhyRo
A local band that never quite made it but put out some really great songs. 

Valentine - Never Said It Was Gonna Be Easy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcGLf1QBHgc
One CD, One great CD!

Morning Wood - Not Scared Anymore https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYRbEupohMA
Featuring the great Tony Harnell who in my opinion is one of rocks greatest singers.

Tyketto - Wings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THwaMBFlhjk
Damn good band.  I had the pleasure of seeing them live quite a few times.