Author Topic: The Occasional Cozmo Recommendation Thread  (Read 104916 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Occasional Cozmo Recommendation Thread
« Reply #420 on: October 21, 2011, 03:05:32 PM »
So I had my I-Pod on shuffle driving home today and Breaking The Chain by Dokken came on and there I go singing away in my car.  What a great tune.
A great tune!
I remember when Breaking The Chain came out. I got their first album on cassette and I was so disappointed. Only that and the great Paris Is Burning was even listenable.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #421 on: October 21, 2011, 03:07:32 PM »
So I had my I-Pod on shuffle driving home today and Breaking The Chain by Dokken came on and there I go singing away in my car.  What a great tune.
A great tune!
I remember when Breaking The Chain came out. I got their first album on cassette and I was so disappointed. Only that and the great Paris Is Burning was even listenable.

Their second album killed though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #422 on: October 21, 2011, 03:40:05 PM »
I was never crazy about Dokken. What was strange was that they were a band where I liked their singles, but hated their album tracks. Usually it works the other way around.
Plus I saw them twice opening for Priest and Aerosmith, and I thought Don Dokken was a dick, just how he spoke to the crowd. For some reason though, I liked them a lot more on the Monsters Of Rock tour.
BTW, when they opened for Priest, I was watching Judas Priest on stage when I look to my left and who is standing there?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: October 21, 2011, 06:06:02 PM »
Great pick TAC!!  I also saw Dokken with Areosmith.  I'm guessing it was the Permanent Vacation tour.  I also saw Dokken on the Monsters Of Rock Tour in Oxford Me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #424 on: October 21, 2011, 06:07:01 PM »
Great pick TAC!!  I also saw Dokken with Areosmith.  I'm guessing it was the Permanent Vacation tour.  I also saw Dokken on the Monsters Of Rock Tour in Oxford Me.
Saw the Monsters Of Rock at Giants Stadium 6/26/88. :metal

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: October 21, 2011, 07:52:06 PM »
Saw the Monsters Of Rock at Giants Stadium 6/26/88. :metal

Yeah, those picks you showed was awesome.  I don't know how you did so many show dealing with a camera.  My wife wants me to bring a camera to the Pats games and I hate it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #426 on: November 22, 2011, 08:53:54 AM »
Have to post this video.  It has become a tradition for Y&T to play two shows at the Mystic Theater in Petaluma, California, every November.  The shows have become somewhat legendary among the Y&T fanbase, and the weekend usually includes large groups of fans getting together for parties, dinners, and other stuff the entire weekend.  Anyhow, if you are a fan of guitar-driven, blues-based rock, here is an awesome rendition of a Dave Meniketti solo tune from his blues album he released about 10 years ago:  Until The Next Time
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #427 on: November 22, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
Damn.  That was quite excellent.  Even though it's a low quality recording, it sounds like he has an amazing guitar tone.  Really very cool tune and excellent guitar work.  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #428 on: November 22, 2011, 09:03:10 AM »
Yeah, he's always put an emphasis on getting good natural tone without excessive use of effects. 

BTW, sorry for the "double post," so to speak.  After I PM'd you the link, I thought, "that should just go in the OCRT so other people can check it out."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #429 on: November 22, 2011, 09:10:44 AM »
I love that plucky, twangy tone that Strats get.  They're just twangy enough to give solos some personality without crossing over into Telecaster territory and sounding too countryish.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: November 22, 2011, 02:11:37 PM »
Have to post this video.  It has become a tradition for Y&T to play two shows at the Mystic Theater in Petaluma, California, every November.  The shows have become somewhat legendary among the Y&T fanbase, and the weekend usually includes large groups of fans getting together for parties, dinners, and other stuff the entire weekend.  Anyhow, if you are a fan of guitar-driven, blues-based rock, here is an awesome rendition of a Dave Meniketti solo tune from his blues album he released about 10 years ago:  Until The Next Time

Both of Dave's solo records are brilliant.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #431 on: November 22, 2011, 04:19:17 PM »
Indeed.  Some of the best rock to come out since 2000.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: November 22, 2011, 05:29:21 PM »
Indeed.  Some of the best rock to come out since 2000.

Yep, I really can't decide which one I like more.  His blues stuff is really impressive, but his more straight rock stuff on the self titled is just gold.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #433 on: November 22, 2011, 06:09:59 PM »
I've played a bunch from both of those albums at jams and other musical gatherings.  (probably just over half the songs off of each, actually)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #434 on: December 19, 2011, 08:12:35 AM »
Well, thanks to a new thread I saw this morning, had to come in here and throw on some Heavy Metal Shuffle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dis39LcsbCU

EDIT:  Oh, wow.  Live version...from 2010!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7VhGzR8xOM

"Nobody told us it was only a song."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #435 on: February 01, 2012, 10:25:23 AM »
Can't remember whether it's been mentioned in this thread already, but I had the urge to dust off Whitesnake's s/t 1987 album the other day.  The album is solid all the way through, but side 1 (back in the day when this was owned by most on cassette tape) is perhaps the most consistently awesome "side" of music a band has ever put out.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #436 on: February 01, 2012, 10:29:47 AM »
Pound for pound, one of the best hair metal albums in the late 80s.  Coverdale was in his vocal prime.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #437 on: February 01, 2012, 10:31:13 AM »
Agreed.  And so was Sykes in terms of both playing and songwriting.  It's a shame they couldn't find a way to make that relationship continue to work.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #438 on: February 01, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »
Ridiculously awesome.  Cryin' in the Rain is a complete ass-kicking from start to finish.  The solo section in particular is outright punishing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #439 on: February 01, 2012, 10:33:49 AM »
I used to love playing the riff from the verses over and over and over...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #440 on: February 01, 2012, 10:35:05 AM »
Me too.  It's a great riff.  Also, the riff from Bad Boys.

Now go listen to "Black Hearted Woman" from the first Blue Murder album and tell me it isn't a throwaway from Whitesnake '87.

Edit:  Or listen here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Yy6_qttpE

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #441 on: February 01, 2012, 10:38:36 AM »
Oh, I know.  I thought that from the first time I heard it.  Billy, Valley of the Kings, and Ptolemy also each remind me in different ways of Still Of The Night.  The connection isn't quite as strong with those as the Bad Boys/Black Hearted Woman connection, but there is still a similar vibe.

EDIT:  And the first time a truly appreciated what a deceptively high range Sykes has was the first time I tried singing Valley Of The Kings.  I can pull it off, but it's serious work.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #442 on: February 01, 2012, 10:45:15 AM »
Pound for pound, one of the best hair metal albums in the late 80s.  Coverdale was in his vocal prime.
I still cannot refer to this album as a hair metal album. I mean, John Sykes, Ainsley Dunbar, and Neil Murray couldn't be further from hair metal musicians.
Even the touring band of Sarzo, Campbell, Aldridge, and Vandenburg weren't even close to a hair band.
Although I'll give you that their hair was very teased in the videos.
Similarly, I've heard Tesla referred to as a hair metal band, which they clearly were not.

The remake of Crying In The Rain is a Sykes tour de force!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #443 on: February 01, 2012, 10:47:59 AM »
Did you ever see his live solo from Crying in the Rain at Rock in Rio, 1985?  If not, set aside 10 minutes and watch it.  Seriously.  It's unbelievable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnzfE8war2w

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #444 on: February 01, 2012, 10:57:32 AM »
Did you ever see his live solo from Crying in the Rain at Rock in Rio, 1985?  If not, set aside 10 minutes and watch it.  Seriously.  It's unbelievable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnzfE8war2w
Incredible..

..and Cozy Powell :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: February 01, 2012, 11:55:08 AM »
I still cannot refer to this album as a hair metal album. I mean, John Sykes, Ainsley Dunbar, and Neil Murray couldn't be further from hair metal musicians.
Even the touring band of Sarzo, Campbell, Aldridge, and Vandenburg weren't even close to a hair band.
Although I'll give you that their hair was very teased in the videos.
Similarly, I've heard Tesla referred to as a hair metal band, which they clearly were not.

The remake of Crying In The Rain is a Sykes tour de force!

Agreed... I should've put that as "hair metal" (emphasis on the finger quotes).  The album and music itself wasn't that, but the band got lumped in to that genre - for better or worse.

Will have to check out these YT clips later.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: February 01, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
Can't watch Youtube at work. >:(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: February 01, 2012, 01:21:32 PM »
Always loved that 85 version of Crying in the Rain, amazing!!

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #448 on: March 28, 2012, 08:17:20 AM »
Vixen - Edge Of A Broken Heart

that is all
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #449 on: March 28, 2012, 08:50:36 AM »
Vixen - Edge Of A Broken Heart

that is all

Eh.  I'll see your Vixen and raise you...Warlock -- Burning The Witches:metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: March 28, 2012, 09:01:46 AM »
That was awesome.  I have a smile in my pants now.  Might have to watch that 16 more times, so they pass the million mark.  And deserving of two bull horns!  :2metal:

Not quite as metal, but definitely great chick-rock - Chrissy Steele - Love You 'til it Hurts

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #451 on: March 28, 2012, 09:06:18 AM »
Don't forget Phantom Blue!

Never Too Late

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #452 on: March 28, 2012, 09:18:16 PM »
Need me some Lee Aaron now

Hey Coz thanks for fixing my Mahogany Rush screw up in the Rushmore thread.  I typed to fast.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #453 on: April 16, 2012, 01:54:03 PM »
Here is a pair from some of our Canadian friends (thanks for making me take a trip down memory lane, lonestar!):

Heavy Metal Shuffle

Alive and Kickin'

EDIT:  And for all those '80s metal fans who are also Transformers fans (i.e., Blob), I have to submit one under their "fake" name of Spectre General:  Hunger (from the 1986 Transformers movie)

:mtmte:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:01:43 PM by bosk1 »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #454 on: April 16, 2012, 02:39:29 PM »
That was awesome.  I have a smile in my pants now.  Might have to watch that 16 more times, so they pass the million mark.  And deserving of two bull horns!  :2metal:

Not quite as metal, but definitely great chick-rock - Chrissy Steele - Love You 'til it Hurts

Got that album. It is excellent.

I always loved Harlow with theresa Straley. A heavier version of 80s Heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gr0lb5BAgU&feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ7yRa6u0ZU&feature=related