Author Topic: Ongoing and Upcoming Survivors *PLEASE READ*  (Read 227349 times)

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
Re: Ongoing and Upcoming Survivors *PLEASE READ*
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2010, 10:21:31 PM »
I doubt there will be :P
Sounds good though :tup
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2010, 10:50:25 PM »
When there's an opening, I wouldn't mind starting up a Megadeth survivor if there's enough interest.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2010, 10:57:47 PM »
When there's an opening, I wouldn't mind starting up a Megadeth survivor if there's enough interest.

It's been a while since we've had a Megadeth one.
Once Devin Townsend finishes up, you can commence. Ill shoot you a reminder as well.

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2010, 11:05:57 PM »

It's been a while since we've had a Megadeth one.
Once Devin Townsend finishes up, you can commence. Ill shoot you a reminder as well.

Please do, thanks.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2010, 11:24:33 PM »
Just an update on my Spock's Beard Survivor, the final round of the Morse-Era albums is coming to a close, so I will begin my Post-Morse Beard Albums survivors soon, starting with Feel Euphoria.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2010, 11:34:53 PM »
Just an update on my Spock's Beard Survivor, the final round of the Morse-Era albums is coming to a close, so I will begin my Post-Morse Beard Albums survivors soon, starting with Feel Euphoria.

-Marc.

Thanks for the heads up bro :)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2010, 09:58:11 AM »
The Alice In Chains survivor is in the finals rounds now, so you can change the OP

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2010, 10:23:06 AM »
Have there been Gabriel era Genesis survivors yet? If not, may I start one?   :D

Ignore this post.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 10:30:35 AM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2010, 04:39:46 PM »
Coolest Ways To Die *revamp* :)
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2010, 09:11:53 PM »
I will start a Sigur Ros survivor once I familiarize myself more with their discography.  I know ( ) well but not much else.  Expect it to start sometime around the end of this year/beginning of next year.
www.bedeceived.com

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2010, 11:55:23 PM »
I will start a Sigur Ros survivor once I familiarize myself more with their discography.  I know ( ) well but not much else.  Expect it to start sometime around the end of this year/beginning of next year.

Sounds good.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2010, 10:56:56 PM »
Has anyone ever done Survivors for DT songs that have movements ("A Change Of Seasons", "Trial Of Tears", "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence", "Octavarium", and "In The Presence Of Enemies")?

Looking back at my Survivor for the Twelve Steps Suite, I was wondering of doing a series of Mini-Survivors that decide which movements of these multi-movement songs were the best.

If it hasn't been done before, I'd love to start the "Dream Theater Multi-Movement Song Survivor" series! Of course, after my DT Longest Song Survivor is done.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2010, 11:30:32 PM »
Has anyone ever done Survivors for DT songs that have movements ("A Change Of Seasons", "Trial Of Tears", "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence", "Octavarium", and "In The Presence Of Enemies")?

Looking back at my Survivor for the Twelve Steps Suite, I was wondering of doing a series of Mini-Survivors that decide which movements of these multi-movement songs were the best.

If it hasn't been done before, I'd love to start the "Dream Theater Multi-Movement Song Survivor" series! Of course, after my DT Longest Song Survivor is done.

-Marc.

I don't believe we've had a survivor for that. I know we had a poll on the DT side, but it didn't really last too long.
Yeah, this could be pretty cool. I'l mark you down for Late September, but basically you can start when your Longest Song Survivor is finished.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
I don't believe we've had a survivor for that. I know we had a poll on the DT side, but it didn't really last too long.
Yeah, this could be pretty cool. I'l mark you down for Late September, but basically you can start when your Longest Song Survivor is finished.

Sweet! Thanks! :tup

I think I'll just go chronologically - "A Change Of Seasons", "The Killing Hand" (forgot this one earlier! :facepalm:), "Trial Of Tears", "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence", "Octavarium", and "In The Presence Of Enemies".

Two questions though - should I include "A Mind Beside Itself"? It'd only be a two-round Survivor (as would "Trial Of Tears"). And for the SDOIT one, should "Losing Time" still be paired with "Grand Finale"? Or should they be separated? There's reasons to have them either way.

Also, I suppose at the end of it all (after ITPOE finishes), I could do a Survivor for the Best Movement among these 6 songs (7 if I decide to include AMBI).

-Marc.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2010, 11:43:35 PM »
First off, The Killing Hand comes before A Change of Seasons, so if you're doing them chronologically then you should remember that.

Don't do A Mind Beside Itself. It's 3 different songs, and it's inclusion will
a) Start a whole debate about why it's included, and
b) If you do do a "Best Movement Finals"-dealy, it's going to be heavily skewed towards Voices.

Also, Losing Time/Grand Finale should be kept as one track. I don't know of anyone really who separates it.

Yeah, these are really just suggestions to make it more "proper". Follow them how you wish, but keep in mind these are really just to make it more accurate so the discussions are more about the survivor than the odd inclusions of songs.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #120 on: September 12, 2010, 11:54:39 PM »
First off, The Killing Hand comes before A Change of Seasons, so if you're doing them chronologically then you should remember that.

Don't do A Mind Beside Itself. It's 3 different songs, and it's inclusion will
a) Start a whole debate about why it's included, and
b) If you do do a "Best Movement Finals"-dealy, it's going to be heavily skewed towards Voices.

Also, Losing Time/Grand Finale should be kept as one track. I don't know of anyone really who separates it.

Yeah, these are really just suggestions to make it more "proper". Follow them how you wish, but keep in mind these are really just to make it more accurate so the discussions are more about the survivor than the odd inclusions of songs.

Gotcha! As for doing ACOS first, I was just thinking more in lines of when it was written, as sections (if not the whole thing) of ACOS were written before WDADU was released. That and I think it would gain more attention to the Survivor Series if ACOS was done first, but that's just my feelings on it. As for your other suggestions, I agree- AMBI out, and SDOIT as 8 options and not 9.

-Marc.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2010, 03:54:02 PM »
When it's time to do my Sigur Ros survivor, should i leave Von brigði out?
www.bedeceived.com

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: September 13, 2010, 11:22:39 PM »
When it's time to do my Sigur Ros survivor, should i leave Von brigði out?

Yeah, I think so. A remix album is usually not included.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2010, 08:16:24 PM »
Change of plans. 
While I really want to eventually do a Sigur Ros Survivor, it's taking me a while to get used to their songs and remember which are which since there are no lyrics for me to understand.  I think instead I'm going to start a Muse survivor towards the end of this year if that's okay.
www.bedeceived.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2010, 08:34:50 PM »
I just started my Final Round for my Spock's Beard - Spock's Beard survivor, so after Saturday night, I will begin my Spock's Beard Bonus Tracks Survivor, which will run for 6 rounds/12 days.

-Marc.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2010, 11:06:34 PM »
Change of plans. 
While I really want to eventually do a Sigur Ros Survivor, it's taking me a while to get used to their songs and remember which are which since there are no lyrics for me to understand.  I think instead I'm going to start a Muse survivor towards the end of this year if that's okay.
I'll participate. :tup
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2010, 11:08:08 AM »
Change of plans. 

Yep. We haven't had a Muse survivor since before the crash. It's high time another one was started.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2010, 11:41:57 PM »
Within this next week (or day) I'm starting an (obviously short) Frost* survivor.  Should be nice :tup:
www.bedeceived.com

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2010, 11:51:07 PM »
Within this next week (or day) I'm starting an (obviously short) Frost* survivor.  Should be nice :tup:
'

Sure

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2010, 07:56:59 PM »

Hey setra - Just wanted to update that, in two days' time, I will begin my DT Multi-Movement Songs Survivor.

Also, my SB survivor is now in the Nick-Era Bonus Tracks stage, but in a few days (after 2 more rounds), I'll be moving on to the survivor for X, then a short 3-round Consolation (4 songs, 1 winner), then the Nick-Era Finals. Whew!

-Marc.

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2010, 04:56:39 AM »
I don't want to start one, I'm just asking: Is there a regular Porcupine Tree survivor on here, and roughly what time of the year is it conducted?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2010, 07:01:25 AM »
After I finish the Beatles album survivor, I'm thinking of doing one for the latter-era "Lennon" Beatles songs; maybe the 20 or so most revered (A Day in the Life, Revolution, Because, etc) and then continuing with the McCartney songs. Sound cool?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2010, 07:07:24 AM »
Sure, why not? I'd be up for it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2010, 12:26:49 PM »
I don't want to start one, I'm just asking: Is there a regular Porcupine Tree survivor on here, and roughly what time of the year is it conducted?

Yeah, there is a regular one. I can't remember when exactly it begins (sometime in December or January I think), but it'll start up again before too long.

After I finish the Beatles album survivor, I'm thinking of doing one for the latter-era "Lennon" Beatles songs; maybe the 20 or so most revered (A Day in the Life, Revolution, Because, etc) and then continuing with the McCartney songs. Sound cool?

Sounds cool. What do you want me to call it?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #134 on: September 24, 2010, 09:43:08 AM »

Yeah, there is a regular one. I can't remember when exactly it begins (sometime in December or January I think), but it'll start up again before too long.

Sounds cool. What do you want me to call it?

Hmmm . . . let's go with: "Lennon" Beatles Songs; and then "McCartney" Beatles Songs

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2010, 11:09:15 PM »
Alright. That seems fine.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #136 on: September 29, 2010, 07:46:37 AM »

Based on feedback from other members, I'm going to bag the Lennon/McCartney songs survivor and do one for each album instead . . . OK?

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: September 29, 2010, 07:49:45 AM »

Based on feedback from other members, I'm going to bag the Lennon/McCartney songs survivor and do one for each album instead . . . OK?

So, it'll just be a Beatles survivor?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #138 on: September 29, 2010, 10:09:52 AM »

So, it'll just be a Beatles survivor?

Well, for each individual album, so as an example: Beatles Survivor (Abbey Road)

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #139 on: September 29, 2010, 10:40:32 AM »
Based on Beatles discussion in the forum, I started up a Beatles album survivor.  Completely forgot about posting in this thread first!

Sorry to jump the gun.  Is everybody OK with me doing two albums at a time??
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford