Author Topic: Ongoing and Upcoming Survivors *PLEASE READ*  (Read 227384 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Ongoing and Upcoming Survivors *PLEASE READ*
« Reply #560 on: February 04, 2016, 09:33:45 AM »
Depends on the country, I guess McD and BK are the only worldwide ones?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #561 on: February 04, 2016, 10:46:09 AM »
Subway too :P

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
  • Take me far away, to the ends of this earth.
« Reply #562 on: February 04, 2016, 10:51:10 AM »
Haha, it's not a burger place!  :smiley:
But if you insist.
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #563 on: February 04, 2016, 06:17:51 PM »
Is there a rule of how many survivors I can run?
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #564 on: February 04, 2016, 10:33:58 PM »
As many as you can update regularly :P

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: February 05, 2016, 06:23:54 AM »
Still, I think it's better to run one or two simultaneously at best so the Polls / Survivors section doesn't become too clogged.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #566 on: February 05, 2016, 07:56:43 AM »
Still, I think it's better to run one or two simultaneously at best so the Polls / Survivors section doesn't become too clogged.
Yeah, no kiddin'. There was a time where this place was pretty much deserted, but I think since the Periphery survivor stopped, we've gotten Spock's Beard, Kamelot, Megadeth, Avenged Sevenfold, Iron Maiden, Coheed and Cambria (for a couple days :neverusethis:), Haken, King Crimson, all on top of the DT league. Also the Hurt or Heal polls, so yea there is no real limit but keep in mind we have a stickied thread to keep track of survivors for a reason. (Admittedly, not a very active one, I think the user who started it is no longer active on the forums.)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #567 on: February 05, 2016, 08:54:05 AM »
What about Carl's jr or in n out?
In n Out should be pretty famous

Never even hear about either of these. But I'm from sweden, so it's not so weird.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #568 on: February 05, 2016, 09:46:35 AM »
Kk thanks guys.
and ink, yeah in America it's very famous. I can understand.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #569 on: February 05, 2016, 11:35:57 AM »
And oopsies.
XD
Sorry bout that Sacul.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: February 05, 2016, 11:36:12 AM »
Yeah, no kiddin'. There was a time where this place was pretty much deserted, but I think since the Periphery survivor stopped, we've gotten Spock's Beard, Kamelot, Megadeth, Avenged Sevenfold, Iron Maiden, Coheed and Cambria (for a couple days :neverusethis:), Haken, King Crimson, all on top of the DT league. Also the Hurt or Heal polls, so yea there is no real limit but keep in mind we have a stickied thread to keep track of survivors for a reason. (Admittedly, not a very active one, I think the user who started it is no longer active on the forums.)

Well I've been saying Kamelot Survivor was my intention pretty much since early 2015 when I started Nightwish. I don't have anything against people who are spontaneously deciding they want to run a Survivor, because well, why would I? It's fun and unexpected and it breathes life in this forum section, but I just wanted to point out I'm planning my Survivors in advance so it's always no surprise what I'm going to host next.

So overall, I'm aiming at running one huge Survivor a year, and I've got a good idea for 2017 already... as long as I'm not cockblocked on it during this year.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #571 on: March 06, 2016, 03:57:18 AM »
Out of curiosity, how much interest would there be in an Anthrax survivor (considering the new album & everything)?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: March 07, 2016, 05:55:45 AM »
I would be interested in an Anthrax survivor for sure

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #573 on: March 08, 2016, 04:30:00 AM »

So... like now?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: March 08, 2016, 05:11:06 AM »

So... like now?

Yeah, the rating polls have taken over. But easy enough to scroll around them to find the survivors.

Offline 425

« Reply #575 on: March 10, 2016, 10:00:03 AM »
True, but it can be frustrating when rounds of a survivor that are still open for voting are getting pushed more than halfway down the page. As I look at it now, there are active Iron Maiden, Spock's Beard and Redemption rounds that are on the bottom third of the page, buried almost exclusively by rating threads.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: March 10, 2016, 10:07:28 AM »
True, but it can be frustrating when rounds of a survivor that are still open for voting are getting pushed more than halfway down the page. As I look at it now, there are active Iron Maiden, Spock's Beard and Redemption rounds that are on the bottom third of the page, buried almost exclusively by rating threads.

When I started the ratings, I encouraged people to post in the ratings thread on the DT Forum with the intention that these polls would sink. But a lot of people have been replying with their ratings. If I could, I would lock the rating polls from comments.

Perhaps another solution would be for all the main threads for the survivors to be stickied, and have the survivor runner link to the current round as a reply.

Me not being a moderator, I can't explore either option.

But I will say that in the survivors that I am taking part in (DT/Kamelot/Redemption), participation hasn't seemed to drop off since the decent of the ratings.

Offline 425

« Reply #577 on: March 10, 2016, 11:51:12 AM »
I'm not necessarily suggesting that "something has to be done about this!" I don't think that there's a deeply serious problem here, but there is a reason for people to be somewhat frustrated (and I've seen people express frustration about this in survivor threads). I'm just commenting on the state of affairs, which is that, yes, the Polls/Survivors is pretty full right now, and that the reason for that largely has to do with the rating threads.

My only suggestion would be that maybe the rating threads could come out more slowly. My observation has been that after a few days, few people comment on them and they do sink. But you seem to be posting about 10-15 of them a day, so it just takes up a lot of the front page by sheer volume.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: March 11, 2016, 09:43:45 AM »
I'm not necessarily suggesting that "something has to be done about this!" I don't think that there's a deeply serious problem here, but there is a reason for people to be somewhat frustrated (and I've seen people express frustration about this in survivor threads). I'm just commenting on the state of affairs, which is that, yes, the Polls/Survivors is pretty full right now, and that the reason for that largely has to do with the rating threads.

My only suggestion would be that maybe the rating threads could come out more slowly. My observation has been that after a few days, few people comment on them and they do sink. But you seem to be posting about 10-15 of them a day, so it just takes up a lot of the front page by sheer volume.

I'm taking you up on your suggestion. I only posted 4 today. Let's see if that helps out.

Offline 425

« Reply #579 on: March 11, 2016, 03:29:32 PM »
That is much better, thank you. All active survivors' current rounds plus today's rating polls are all in the top third of the page. :tup
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #580 on: March 18, 2016, 11:44:54 PM »
Out of curiosity, how much interest would there be in an Anthrax survivor (considering the new album & everything)?

Apparently not it seems except jjrock88.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #581 on: April 02, 2016, 03:43:00 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how many people actually view this thread when there's a new post?

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #582 on: April 02, 2016, 03:45:42 PM »
I do. I just don't really care about the current survivors and survivor options.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #583 on: April 02, 2016, 05:05:05 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how many people actually view this thread when there's a new post?

I try to, if only to see which survivors are ending and/or coming up.

As an update to mine, since I'm entering the final studio album for Spock's Beard tomorrow (then B-Sides, then Consolation, then Finals), I wanted to see if anyone was interested in one of the following:
A Genesis Survivor
A Yes Survivor
A Rush Survivor

I'm not sure when the last ones of these were done but I know it has been awhile. I'm pretty sure I did the last Genesis Survivor. I'd be down for Rush, considering that 2112 is now 40 years old, and the band has all but retired from the stage, and possibly the studio, doing one more Survivor for them might be a good send-off.

Then again, doing one for Yes or Genesis might also seem pretty good, especially for the latter since they'll definitely not be making any more albums.

After whichever of those that I might do, I still plan on doing Marillion again since their next album should be out by then. Perhaps even before then, I may do a Frost* Survivor if anyone has interested enough in them for me to do one.

Speaking of bands that may or may not garner enough interest here for a Survivor, what about Big Big Train? They have a new album out in a couple of months so it'd be fun to do one for them, too, if I had enough participants!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #584 on: April 02, 2016, 05:14:33 PM »
As an update to mine, since I'm entering the final studio album for Spock's Beard tomorrow (then B-Sides, then Consolation, then Finals), I wanted to see if anyone was interested in one of the following:
A Genesis Survivor
A Yes Survivor
A Rush Survivor

But I was gonna do a Yes survivor.   :-[

Still have to listen through the rest of their discography though. Currently I'm up to Talk.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #585 on: April 03, 2016, 01:23:30 AM »
A Genesis Survivor
A Yes Survivor
A Rush Survivor

But I was gonna do a Yes survivor.   :-[

Still have to listen through the rest of their discography though. Currently I'm up to Talk.

By all means, go ahead if you'd like! I've just been wanting to for a couple of years now but never found the right time to do it, even having been a fan of them for over a decade now. My version of the survivor would include ABWH and Keystudio in addition to the other 19 Yes studio albums, so it'd be a pretty long one, but totally worth it.

If Yes is taken, then I may do Rush or Genesis, depending on which band will get more participants (probably Rush).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #586 on: April 08, 2016, 01:25:35 PM »
Any interest in a Metallica survivor? I want to try my hand at running one and I figure that doing it with my all time favorite band would be the best way to go.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: April 08, 2016, 02:31:53 PM »
I'm sure there would be enough interest in Metallica

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #588 on: April 09, 2016, 03:35:09 AM »
It would give me reason to listen to Metallica after so many years, so why not.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: April 11, 2016, 07:21:25 AM »
According to this, a Metallica survivor would be very popular!

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=42013.msg1837806#msg1837806

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #590 on: April 11, 2016, 01:00:39 PM »
I'm all for a Metallica survivor! I would just sit out the St. Anger one, since I must have heard that album exactly only one and then recoiled away in horror. But I'm all for the agony of having to pick only 2 songs from Ride and Master, hehe!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #591 on: April 11, 2016, 01:53:21 PM »
I'm glad to see that there's interest. I'll get it started within a couple of days.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #592 on: April 18, 2016, 02:23:41 AM »
I've just thought of something...what happened to the Mega Steven Wilson Survivor? It's just slipped out of existence.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #593 on: April 27, 2016, 05:39:18 PM »
Is anyone willing to participate in a Rush or Kansas survivor?
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #594 on: April 27, 2016, 06:30:57 PM »
Is anyone willing to participate in a Rush or Kansas survivor?

Someone here already does an annual Rush Survivor, but I cannot recall when they last did it.

I also cannot recall if anyone has done Kansas before, but this year would be a good one to do it, but probably for later in the year when the new album comes out.

-Marc.