Author Topic: Ongoing and Upcoming Survivors *PLEASE READ*  (Read 227525 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Ongoing and Upcoming Survivors *PLEASE READ*
« Reply #490 on: December 22, 2013, 06:12:01 AM »
I'd definitely be up for a Transatlantic survivor!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #491 on: January 01, 2014, 07:15:11 AM »
Blackfield Survivor is underway! :)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: April 17, 2014, 12:50:34 AM »
I'm going to start Sonata Arctica survivor after the Transatlantic one will end, if everyone is fine with it. There were a few people interested in a band thread in General Music Discussion and I hope a few more will jump on it along the way.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #493 on: June 23, 2014, 12:33:07 AM »
I don't know if anyone reads this thread anymore, but I'd like to start a Liquid Tension/Trio Experiment survivor. I know it might've been done before, but I haven't seen one here for as long as I've been on the forum, and other bands get survivors every so often, even if no new material has been released from them.

Any interest?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: July 08, 2014, 03:14:24 PM »
A quick look at page one sees a lot a threads for DT, a few for Sonata Arctica, and one for Amorphis.....

Who wants to run some survivors/tournaments/heal hurt/ etc? Let's go!

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #495 on: July 11, 2014, 06:00:38 AM »
The Amorphis survivor has been finished for a while now :)

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #496 on: July 11, 2014, 06:01:47 AM »
I thought about maybe doing a Mastodon survivor, but I don't even own their first album yet.

EDIT: oops double post

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #497 on: August 01, 2015, 01:25:26 PM »
Are there any people who would be interested in a Periphery survivor? I'd be up for running one if atleast more than 5 people are interested  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #498 on: August 01, 2015, 01:35:00 PM »
i'd participate, sure, tho a lot of periphery songs blend together for me and i've barely listened to clear

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #499 on: August 01, 2015, 01:42:49 PM »
Count me in for the Periphery survivor.

EDIT: Although it's been a while since I've listened to an entire Periphery album, what album would you start with? I'd like to give the first one some listens before the survivor starts.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #500 on: August 01, 2015, 02:03:17 PM »
Count me in for the Periphery survivor.

EDIT: Although it's been a while since I've listened to an entire Periphery album, what album would you start with? I'd like to give the first one some listens before the survivor starts.

I'd probably go with how the albums and EPs were released. So Periphery → Icarus EP → Periphery II. → Clear → Juggernaut (which I would probably split into Alpha and Omega).

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #501 on: August 01, 2015, 04:43:03 PM »
Are there any people who would be interested in a Periphery survivor? I'd be up for running one if atleast more than 5 people are interested  :lol

Count me in

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #502 on: August 02, 2015, 05:27:56 AM »
That would make four of us. Not sure that's really enough for a survivor, especially if someone leaves for a week or two.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #503 on: October 02, 2015, 11:36:32 AM »
After the Devin Survivor is done, who'd be up for doing a Coheed survivor? Perfect time for it with their next album coming out this month  :lol

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #504 on: October 02, 2015, 07:06:37 PM »
I've been trying to get into Coheed, so it would definitely be a nice way for me to fully check out their work. I've always liked what I've heard from them, but never found the time to truly digest their albums.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #505 on: October 02, 2015, 07:21:14 PM »
as with devin they do have an album i'm barely familiar with and need to check out more (that being their first) so we can embark on this journey together for about one album

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #506 on: October 25, 2015, 03:41:53 PM »
as with devin they do have an album i'm barely familiar with and need to check out more (that being their first) so we can embark on this journey together for about one album

Are you gonna be hosting the Coheed survivor Parama? It'll be incredibly lonely here in the survivor section with both your and mine survivor ending.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #507 on: October 26, 2015, 11:25:19 AM »

Are you gonna be hosting the Coheed survivor Parama? It'll be incredibly lonely here in the survivor section with both your and mine survivor ending.
let me take a break lol i've been running the devin survivor for over 7 months  :lol

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #508 on: October 26, 2015, 11:32:25 AM »

let me take a break lol i've been running the devin survivor for over 7 months  :lol

No slacking  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #509 on: October 26, 2015, 11:35:35 AM »
i've also been doing a roulette for about two months now too, ssshhh, shhhh  :hat

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #510 on: October 26, 2015, 01:25:43 PM »
Just as a heads up, I will be doing another Spock's Beard Survivor after my Neal Morse Survivor is done. It will cover all 12 studio albums, B-Sides/Bonus Disc songs, and the usual Consolation and Finals rounds.

In the long term, after SB, I may do Genesis again if there's enough interest in doing it, or Rush (because I think it's been awhile since a Rush survivor has been done, IIRC), or perhaps even Yes, though the latter two I have not done before. In the last four years, I've only done Marillion, Flying Colors (twice), Genesis, Neal Morse (now twice), Spock's Beard (soon to be twice), and Transatlantic.

After that, I will start Marillion later next year after their next studio album is out. That should carry me through 2016.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline 425

« Reply #511 on: October 26, 2015, 01:54:59 PM »
I mentioned this in the other thread, but I didn't get any responses, really, so I'll post it here: Would there be any interest in an Iron Maiden survivor? The last one was in 2013, and the new album has come out since then. If there's interest, I would like to run it, but if no one wants to do it, I'm not going to bother.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #512 on: October 26, 2015, 02:19:41 PM »
Yeah, I'd be on board. I'd have to relisten their debut though.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #513 on: October 26, 2015, 02:27:49 PM »
I'm planning on doing the annual Haken survivor once again (even though they haven't released anything new) this November.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #514 on: October 27, 2015, 10:38:31 AM »
I'm planning on doing the annual Haken survivor once again (even though they haven't released anything new) this November.

One of the few bands which's survivor I can participate in all the way  :tup

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #515 on: October 27, 2015, 11:32:06 PM »
I'm planning to do an Avenged Sevenfold survivor if enough people are interested, if you are, I'd like you to say if you want to include Sounding the Seventh Trumpet on the survivor or not.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #516 on: October 30, 2015, 08:43:03 PM »
Dunno if there's a limit on how many survivors can be held at the same time, but if there's no problem, I'd start the Meta-StevenWilson survivor this weekend ;D

Offline 425

« Reply #517 on: October 31, 2015, 10:58:52 PM »
Dunno if there's a limit on how many survivors can be held at the same time, but if there's no problem, I'd start the Meta-StevenWilson survivor this weekend ;D

I mean, I don't know anything about any imposed limit, but here's what I think:

The past couple of months there have really been four going on: Nightwish, Neal Morse, Devin Townsend and Periphery. Periphery and Devin Townsend I believe just ended. Nightwish is going into finals within the week. Neal Morse, I believe, is on the final album. Essentially, all the survivors that have been running the past few months have either just ended or are approaching their end.

DT the League is about to start up, which is a lot of Polls/Survivors traffic. IDontNotDoThings is starting King Crimson. Sacul is starting Steven Wilson. The Letter M will replace Neal Morse with Spock's Beard once that finishes. Evermind will do the same with Kamelot replacing Nightwish (with Beyond the Bridge possibly intervening). Elite is starting Haken soon. So both the currently ongoing survivors are going to be followed by additional survivors by the same organizer, while a few organizers who have not been running survivors are about to start them up.

We can look at these as slots that are being filled. Here's what we have:

Nightwish (almost finals) ---> Beyond the Bridge/Kamelot (same organizer)
Neal Morse (almost consolations) ---> Spock's Beard (same organizer)
Devin Townsend (finished) ---> King Crimson (different organizer)
Periphery (finished) ---> Haken (different organizer)
[EMPTY] ---> Steven Wilson

So, with all this transition going on, we're basically going from 4 survivors to 5 survivors plus DT the League. Plus, Train of Naught is toying with the idea of Avenged Sevenfold and I'm toying with the idea of Iron Maiden.

Personally, I think 7 survivors plus DT the League would be a bit much, while 5 plus DT the League is a good amount. I don't know what anyone else thinks about this, really, so I might be totally in the minority. But personally I think 7+DTtL would be a bit overwhelming.

With that in mind, I'm probably going to hold off on starting Iron Maiden until something finishes. Maybe after Elite's Haken survivor is over, since that one won't be a super-long one anyway as there are just three albums and an EP. I'm not trying to tell anyone else (Sacul, Train of Naught) what to do or not do, I just don't want to personally be the one to flood the Poll/Survivors forum.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #518 on: October 31, 2015, 11:51:43 PM »
Great summary 425. I think we should prioritize survivors that cover just a couple of albums (like the Haken one), instead of those of bands with huge discographies -even if it cockblocks me  :lol - and artists with huge following here. So out of the survivors that have either just started/are going to begin soon, they'd cover (at least) this amount of records each:

Kamelot: 12
Beyond The Bridge: 1
Haken: 3 (+Restoration and maybe their demo)
Spock's Beard: 12
King Crimson: 13
Iron Maiden: 16
A7X: 6
Wilson (28): 4 solo, 4 with Blackfield, 8 with No-man, 2 Continuum, 1 Storm Corrosion, 3 IEM, and 8 Bass Communion records wtf - PT has already been done so there's no need to run that one again. But since I'm not familiar with half of those, we'd have polls on which albums to vote first, so we'll just end up doing just 12-15 records.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #519 on: November 01, 2015, 01:48:24 AM »
We should keep in mind that DT the league is going to bing lots of people to the poll/survivors subforum that usually don't, so I think we can get away with 5-7 survivors in total without having a shortage on voters. It's still a big transition though, I think we should start with 5.

Oh and about the A7X survivor, I don't have any rush either so I'll just wait until the time is right.  :yarr

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: November 01, 2015, 02:23:33 AM »
You can probably make it 9 albums for Kamelot, since I doubt anyone will vote for the first three albums. :lol

And I'm in no rush either. I can always postpone the next survivor if we get too much traffic here.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #521 on: November 01, 2015, 02:16:03 PM »
Just did some calculating, and it seems like my Neal Morse Survivor should end just before New Year's Eve, so I'll be starting Spock's Beard on or just after the New Year. There's still one more round left after the current one for the current album, then 7 rounds of Consolation, and finally 19 rounds of the Finals, so it'll be a good two months of rounds left.

As for Spock's Beard, the last time I did it, it took me four months, but with the new album, it'll add at least 10-13 more rounds, so it'll probably last me from January through May.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #522 on: November 01, 2015, 02:19:29 PM »
reminder: i'm starting coheed sometime this month  :P

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #523 on: November 01, 2015, 02:26:12 PM »
reminder: i'm starting coheed sometime this month  :P

a.k.a I should start listening to the stuff I don't know

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #524 on: November 01, 2015, 02:35:15 PM »
I only know Welcome Home, but it was enough to convince me I should know more.