Author Topic: Does JP switch all his patches himself?  (Read 3439 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Does JP switch all his patches himself?
« on: April 13, 2010, 11:20:33 AM »
Was wondering that after our gig on Saturday. I often struggle to switch a patch in time, essentially at the same time I have to start playing a solo.
So, does he switch all his patches himself, or does he have his roadie do some of that too?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mladen

Re: Does JP switch all his patches himself?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:01:51 PM »
I'm sure he switches all of them himself. Believe me, it's all part of daily practice, it will become simple after a while.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 12:05:12 PM »
Yeah, his roadie probably helps him setup his mega pedal board, but he does all the switches himself.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 12:31:21 PM »
That's one thing I'm still absolutely terrible at. I hardly even use any effects, but there's such a small window of time to hit those pedals while you're playing.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 12:49:59 PM »
It's even worse when you're singing and have to do the solo.  Damn near impossible, sometimes.

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 01:14:16 PM »
You'll get used to it, with practice. He only needs to hit one pedal to change everything, rather than tap dancing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 01:19:53 PM »
Well, you just need to place your foot on the switch a bit earlier, and then you just press it when the time comes, you don't even have to look at the pedal - just focus on what you're playing.  :tup

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 01:46:47 PM »
Well, you just need to place your foot on the switch a bit earlier, and then you just press it when the time comes, you don't even have to look at the pedal - just focus on what you're playing.  :tup

I don't want to sound too belligerent, but have you ever played their stuff in a live setting? Your description is all good when you're sitting on a chair at home, with your foot perfectly hovering over the button, but live, when you often can't see your own fretboard or footboard, that is a totally different matter.

rumborak

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 01:52:03 PM »
This is exactly why I got rack gear that can all be connected via midi and changed with the touch of one button:

One of the best pieces of gear I ever got.  And it's fairly small.  This and a wah pedal are all I have to worry about tap-dancing on.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 02:16:21 PM »
I have a Behringer FCB 1010 and also control everything via MIDI, but even then, the buttons are tiny (especially with shoes on), and not easily hit/visible in the darkness of a live setting.

rumborak

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 04:10:49 PM »
That was the problem I had with ADA's original foot pedal for the MP-1.  The buttons were tiny.  The buttons on this one are bigger and MUCH easier to hit without stepping on the wrong one.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 04:52:04 PM »
I have a boss me-50 board and its a pain in the ass switchin to different patches and then activating them.  It's a lot easier with shoes off....I should start playing gigs with no shoes! Then again, I just got this thing last week so it takes practice

I remember in the Budokan documentary that JP's tech guy organizes the patches in the order that he is playing them for that particular set so he just presses one switch when its time and bam

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 01:27:16 AM »
It's all practice. I use a GT-8 for ALL my sounds and I switch sounds quite often, even bringing in some effects for parts here and there. It's even harder when you try to put on a good show by headbanging and jumping all around. :lol

But look at someone like Steve Vai, the way he acts on stage makes it a LOT harder.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 04:47:24 AM »
I use:

I don't find it too difficult, but one wrong press and the whole song is ruined. It's a stressfull time. :(

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 05:01:49 AM »
I use:

I don't find it too difficult, but one wrong press and the whole song is ruined. It's a stressfull time. :(

lol...it's like a guitarist's minefield.

What I hate is the fact that my pedal is beyond shitty and nowhere near live-worthy(Digitech RP200.) Since my amp's volume knob's been on the fritz I've used the RP200's expression pedal to control the volume on any patch that doesn't use wah, whammy, etc. The problem I have is when we cover Killing in the Name of I have to try to rock the pedal all the way open so I can start the solo properly in place for the whole-octave whammies but the challenge is to do this in between eighth-notes and still hit the button to bank to the whammy patch in time. Usually comes off as smoothly as a back-alley abortion.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 05:18:32 AM »
Yeah I remember seeing that doco where he goes through his MIDI set up.  He's got presets for every song and sounds set up in the order that he needs them for that particular song so all he needs to do is press one switch to get to the next patch.    Either that or I'm getting mixed up with JR's set up. 

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 07:06:31 AM »
I use:

lol...it's like a guitarist's minefield.

What I hate is the fact that my pedal is beyond shitty and nowhere near live-worthy(Digitech RP200.) Since my amp's volume knob's been on the fritz I've used the RP200's expression pedal to control the volume on any patch that doesn't use wah, whammy, etc. The problem I have is when we cover Killing in the Name of I have to try to rock the pedal all the way open so I can start the solo properly in place for the whole-octave whammies but the challenge is to do this in between eighth-notes and still hit the button to bank to the whammy patch in time. Usually comes off as smoothly as a back-alley abortion.

I have an RP300!
Not a massive fan of them, but when you fiddle for a year you can get a half decent sound. The biggest annoyance is the fact that it hasn't got enough buttons to switch, and there's a slight delay after hitting them which is awful for a live situation.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 07:18:47 AM »
JP explains how it all works on the LAB documentary.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 07:33:23 AM »
This should explain everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MefjovJJr-0

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 11:00:01 AM »
During "Beyond This Life" in Metropolis:2000 if you switch the audio to commentary, JP says that he practiced a lot to get the whole pedal thing right.