Author Topic: DT Mexico & South America Press Release (w/ MP interview)  (Read 4278 times)

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
DT Mexico & South America Press Release (w/ MP interview)
« on: February 11, 2010, 04:09:45 AM »
DT Mexico & South America Press Release: https://www.msopr.com/?q=node/5260

https://twitter.com/MikePortnoyDT

Nice little interview with Mike.
DREAM THEATER THE PROGRESSIVE ROCK TITANS RETURN TO SOUTH AMERICA AND MEXICO 11 SHOWS IN SIX COUNTRIES WILL RUN FROM MARCH 5-24
 Printer Friendly Page

DATE: FEBRUARY 8, 2010

DREAM THEATER
THE PROGRESSIVE ROCK TITANS
RETURN TO SOUTH AMERICA AND MEXICO
11 SHOWS IN SIX COUNTRIES WILL RUN FROM MARCH 5-24
WITH FIRST-TIME VISITS TO LIMA, PERU AND PORTO ALEGRE, BRAZIL

Progressive rock titans DREAM THEATER--James LaBrie (vocals), John Myung (bass), John Petrucci (guitar, vocals), Mike Portnoy (drums, percussion, vocals) and Jordan Rudess (keyboards, Continuum)--continue their global assault with a March 5-24 tour of South America and Mexico. The trek will encompass 11 shows in six countries, with first-time visits to Lima, Peru and Porto Alegre, Brazil.  

In an interview below with Mike Portnoy, the drummer discusses the band’s deep admiration for their fans in Mexico and South America.  In Santiago, Chile in 2005, DREAM THEATER played to their largest audience ever (20,000) as a headlining act, a show that was released as a DVD on Dream Theater’s YtseJam Records (www.ytsejamrecords.com).

The concerts in South America and Mexico--to be opened by Bigelf--will follow a monumental year of touring for the band in connection with their 10th studio release BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS (Roadrunner), for which they achieved a #1 debut on the Billboard European chart and 12 Top Ten album chart debuts around the world including the U.S.

In 2009, the legendary progressive metal masters--who’ve sold in excess of 10,000,000 records and DVD's worldwide--broke records in Europe, playing to festival crowds of over 80,000 fans and made their debut appearance in Israel in front of 10,000 fans. Next came their headlining North American “Progressive Nation” headlining tour, followed by their overseas September/October 2009 “Progressive Nation” headlining trek reaching 15 countries.  They finished the year with a December down under swing with seven shows in Australia and New Zealand.

2009 was also a watermark year for DREAM THEATER as a recording act. Beyond the aforementioned worldwide chart debuts, BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS--a highlight of their 25-year career--was praised by Mojo magazine’s Paul Elliott in a July 2009 review: “…their lofty ideals remain intact.   By modern criteria, Black Clouds & Silver Linings is as highbrow as The Mars Volta, as grandiose as Muse and as heavy as Metallica.” A video of the album’s “Wither” was shot in 2009 on location in the U.K. (London, Manchester), France (Paris, Lille) and Netherlands (Rotterdam):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpMDEQSwXjw&feature=player_embedded DREAM THEATER were also honored with the "Spirit Of Prog" achievement award at the 2009 Classic Rock Awards in London (November 2).  

Q&A with Mike Portnoy about the March  2010 shows in South America and Mexico

Dream Theater has an upcoming headline tour of South America and Mexico where the band has built a fan base from previous gigs and sold many records. Can you talk about an experience of playing there before--and the bond that exists with your fans there?  

“Our South American audience has become one of the biggest and most passionate for Dream Theater on the planet! We first experienced the intense love affair when we played Brazil for the first times in 1997 and 1998...when we finally returned in 2005, we were able to visit Argentina, Venezuela and Chile as well as Brazil and were overwhelmed by the incredible responses. Our first show in Santiago Chile still remains the biggest headlining show the band has done to date with over 20,000 insane fans showing up for a three -hour "Evening With" Dream Theater.”

The Mexico City show is about ¾ sold already and it’s an 8,000 capacity venue.  That has to be amping up Dream Theater.  

“This will be our fifth time playing National Auditorium in Mexico City (having previously sold the venue out in 2000, 2002, 2006 & 2008)....it is always a highlight for us....you can never go wrong with 10,000 intense, passionate Mexican fans!!”

The upcoming trek will mark your first shows in Lima, Peru and Porto Alegre, Brazil…which underlines the band’s growing popularity. It’s very notable that the band will perform in South American venues with capacities ranging from 6,000 to 15,000.  Can you talk about how the global market keeps expanding for Dream Theater?

“We always look forward to playing new cities and countries for the first time....after almost 20 years on the road, they are becoming far and few between for us...so it's always very special for us. There's nothing more rewarding than playing a song we've played over 1,000 times through the years but seeing the excitement on the faces of the audience that are hearing it in person for the very first time!”

You have invited Bigelf to open all these shows for you. What excites you about them?

“It's been my personal mission to help Bigelf get the exposure they've been waiting 15 years to receive. I fell in love with them within the first minute of hearing their sound. They are like all of my favorite classic bands wrapped in one: The Beatles, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Queen, etc. I have taken them under my wings and brought them on tour with DT throughout North America and Europe and am now pleased to have them join us in South America. I hope our fans welcome them with open arms and open ears. They are not a technical band like DT, but anybody with good taste in music should be able to appreciate them and fall for them just as I have!”

DREAM THEATER - SOUTH AMERICA/MEXICO 2010 TOUR DATES

Date  Location  Venue
Fri Mar 05, 2010  Monterrey, Mexico  Esenica
Sun Mar 07, 2010  Mexico City, Mexico  National Auditorium
Mon Mar 08, 2010  Guadalajara, Mexico  Diana Theater
Thu Mar 11, 2010  Santiago, Chile  Movistar Arena
Sat Mar 13, 2010  Buenos Aires, Argentina  Luna Park
Tue Mar 16, 2010  Porto Alegre, Brazil  Pepsi On Stage
Thu Mar 18, 2010  Curitiba, Brazil  Master Hall
Fri Mar 19, 2010  Sao Paulo, Brazil  Credicard Hall
Sat Mar 20, 2010  Rio de Janeiro, Brazil  Citibank Hall
Mon Mar 22, 2010  Lima, Peru  Jockey Club
Wed Mar 24, 2010  Caracas, Venezuela  Poliedro
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 02:56:58 PM by perfey »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: DT Mexico & South America Press Release
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 04:13:04 AM »
I always like hearing about DT playing new places, and it sounds like these are gonna be some big shows. :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Algo Fonix

• The Generic Dr. Pepper
  • DT.net Member
  • Pretty tired
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 10:22:36 AM »
That's pretty awesome.  Especially since he seems so excited about it. 

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 10:29:51 AM »
I wonder if they will play Raw Dog  :metal

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 10:30:49 AM »
That would be great.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 12:09:47 PM »
They won't visit Colombia this time...

*Falls to his knees, opens his arms and looks to the sky*
WHY, TELL ME THE REASON WHY!!! :tdwn :(

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 01:41:19 PM »
That would be great.
Indeed :metal, and it would be even greater if they record one of the shows for YtseJam records, or if a fan bootleg the show with HQ-camera, if they play it.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT Mexico & South America Press Release (w/ MP interview)
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 06:30:38 PM »

Because almost no-one went to SC tour show. Besides, Coldplay is coming, Metallica is coming and Guns N' Roses is coming. People don't have that much money. I'm BROKE just by going to Metallica this year.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 06:48:56 PM »
It's amazing that, even though Coldplay plays Mexico City the same day as DT, the Auditorium is still getting sold out.  :metal
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline robwebster

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 08:09:03 PM »
fair play

its nice to go to a gig with bigelf opening. good way to live your life.

they're big fucking elves. seriously, they're so big that they look like humans. BUT DONT BE FOOLED.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 04:22:33 AM »
fair play

its nice to go to a gig with bigelf opening. good way to live your life.

they're big fucking elves. seriously, they're so big that they look like humans. BUT DONT BE FOOLED.

I think only one of them is a big elf. Otherwise the band's name would be Bigelfs.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 10:19:27 AM »
--who’ve sold in excess of 10,000,000 records and DVD's worldwide--

Is that true?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 10:57:03 AM »
--who’ve sold in excess of 10,000,000 records and DVD's worldwide--

Is that true?

Yes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 01:46:20 PM »
I am really excited they are coming and CLOSING the tour here in Caracas. I noticed those guys really enjoed the 2008 gig, Mike said at the end "muchas fucking gracias", it was awesome. Metallica and Guns And Roses are also coming in March/April to Venezuela, but the DT tickets are almost over....its fair enough to say the stadium they will play isnt that big, but still...
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 03:24:55 PM »

Because almost no-one went to SC tour show. Besides, Coldplay is coming, Metallica is coming and Guns N' Roses is coming. People don't have that much money. I'm BROKE just by going to Metallica this year.

Igual yo. Lo veré en el Simón Bolívar, ese concierto solo lo ve uno una vez en la vida! Ud. Estuvo en el concierto de DT en 2008?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 03:41:01 AM »
Hey, guest, stop printing this thread.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 06:50:18 PM »

Igual yo. Lo veré en el Simón Bolívar, ese concierto solo lo ve uno una vez en la vida! Ud. Estuvo en el concierto de DT en 2008?
Mi propósito es ir a todos los conciertos de DT acá en Colombia. Siempre que vengan, ahí estaré. Esta es mi banda. No importa qué disco saquen o si me gusta en general o no. DT es mi banda.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 07:02:31 PM »
"By modern criteria, Black Clouds & Silver Linings is as highbrow as The Mars Volta, as grandiose as Muse and as heavy as Metallica."

That's a really good line.

EDIT: Oh, christ, this is old. I've already posted. And I was drunk.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 07:55:46 PM »
Hey, guest, stop printing this thread.

:lol