Author Topic: Roger Waters to tour on The Wall this year  (Read 48572 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Roger Waters to tour on The Wall this year
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2010, 08:41:01 AM »
Went to see The Wall in Berlin in 1990. It was pretty meh.
If Rog plays Europe, and does a full second set, and the ticket prices are reasonable, I might go, but I can take it or leave it.
That certainly wasn't how I would have liked to have seen it.  Still, it appears to have been quite a spectacle. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2010, 08:47:34 AM »
Damn tix are expensive. I'm going to have to sit this out :(

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2010, 01:07:54 PM »
Damn tix are expensive. I'm going to have to sit this out :(
I briefly considered that.  Honestly, though, I don't think it's something I could miss.  It might turn into one of those shows that I buy cheap nosebleed seats from a scalper for, but I think I'll have to see it.

Also, a friend of mine had this to say:
Our favored artists and their keepers have all turned into greedy-ass old fucks. At this point, I'll not begrudge them that right. They deserve it more than most overpaid knobs.
Hard to disagree.  I don't like getting sodomized by Ticketmaster.  However, there are certain people, and Roger is one of them, who've provided me with far more pleasure and enjoyment than I could ever fairly compensate them for.  It's a shame that tickets are so much that I'll have a hard time going, but I won't spite him for it.  As far as I'm concerned, he can't be filthy, stinking rich enough.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2010, 03:01:42 PM »
If Rog plays Europe, and does a full second set, and the ticket prices are reasonable, I might go, but I can take it or leave it.
That certainly wasn't how I would have liked to have seen it.  Still, it appears to have been quite a spectacle. 
THAT concert was pretty meh? were you in the last row?

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2010, 03:03:14 PM »
It will be an evening with show. No opening acts.  :)

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2010, 03:06:48 PM »
so I was planning on getting tickets... but just realized its in town Thanksgiving weekend. I have no idea if I'll even be here or elsewhere with family. Or family may be here and I probably couldn't go... gawd dammit

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2010, 03:56:22 PM »
so I was planning on getting tickets... but just realized its in town Thanksgiving weekend. I have no idea if I'll even be here or elsewhere with family. Or family may be here and I probably couldn't go... gawd dammit
That's what eBay is for.  Buy the tickets and just sell them if you can't go.  If they're good seats, you'll turn a profit.  If they're bad seats, you'll break even.  Win/Win/Tie

Can't speak for TCO, but all the guest performers were kind of a downer, for me.  Some were great.  Some of the orchestral arrangements were great.  Others didn't work for me. 
E.F. Benson

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2010, 05:17:33 PM »
That's what eBay is for.  Buy the tickets and just sell them if you can't go.  If they're good seats, you'll turn a profit.  If they're bad seats, you'll break even.  Win/Win/Tie 

Well in the past 8 years I haven't had a Thanksgiving where I haven't traveled... so chances are 90-100% that I wont be able to use my ticket.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »
Any idea of what the cheapest seats will be for MSG? Nassau Coliseum?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2010, 07:17:53 PM »
Any idea of what the cheapest seats will be for MSG? Nassau Coliseum?
Cheapest I saw for the American Express presale were $80 for Madison Square Garden

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2010, 08:28:39 AM »

Can't speak for TCO, but all the guest performers were kind of a downer, for me.  Some were great.  Some of the orchestral arrangements were great.  Others didn't work for me. 

The sound system was nowhere near enough to convey the sound to a crowd that size. People near the PA stacks had a good show, but it was a windy day and the wind seemed to blow the sound out of the way - there were more pockets of silence than there were pockets of music. Couldn't hear a f***ing thing from where we were. Plus there were severe technical problems - a large chunk of what you see on the DVD was filmed at soundcheck and afterwards - much of the show consisted of Roger and Co shrugging their shoulders at the various equipment failures. Plus some of the special guests were pretty lame - None of the actors on "The Trial" sequence knew their lines, and it's a toss up whether Sinead O'Connor singing "Mother" with Rick Danko and Levon Helm fron The Band or Cyndi Lauper screeching her way through "Another Brick in the Wall" counts as the worst thing I've ever heard. 
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2010, 12:01:11 PM »
Even though I know that version is from the soundcheck, not the live show, I actually like that version of "Mother" with O'Connor singing it.  I agree, though, that Lauper was bad; being coked out of her mind probably didn't help. :lol

Anyway, I think, barring some unforeseen changes, I am going to pass on this concert.  Tickets are either $200 or $75.  I am absolutely not paying $200, and the $75 seats are all way up high where you need binoculars to see anything.  Thanks again for raping your fans on ticket prices, Roger. :\ :\ :\  Oh well...this fan ain't grabbing his ankles for ya. :biggrin:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2010, 12:11:17 PM »
The ticket prices are more than likely not Roger's fault.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2010, 12:16:36 PM »
Probably not all his fault, but once you get in bed with ticketmaster and Live Nation, that is basically giving them permission to stick it to your fans.  Rush is guilty of this, too, so I am not just picking on Waters here.  Of course, those companies have a monopoly going, so where else are artists supposed to go, right?  It's just a bad situation all-around, and we the fans are the ones who always end up getting reamed.  :censored

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2010, 01:18:34 PM »
I fault those organizations for the ridiculous service charges, but once again the overall ticket prices aren't their fault. The only thing to blame here is the widespread popularity of Pink Floyd/Roger Waters.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2010, 01:20:53 PM »
I can imagine that show was a logistical nightmare to pull off. If they had that many technical problems, I'm even more impressed the video is presented as well as it is. I haven't seen it in a long time, but I had no idea some of it was not from the actual concert.

Re: The guests.  I thought Sinead O'Conner did a rather good job with 'Mother.' She gave it her own voice without completely destroying the song (See: Cindy Lauper). Scorpions and Bryan Adams did a good job with their songs. Whoever did 'Hey You' was alright. I liked Tim Curry as the prosecutor, but I'm a sucker for anything he does. By far the worst IMO was Van Morrison on 'Comfortably Numb.' Damn did his voice (which I don't like anyway) not work with that song at all.

Looks like I'll be able to get decent/good seats for ~!40 total. Will have to see on Monday but think I might go for this.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2010, 02:00:34 PM »
Like I said earlier, I won't fault Roger for wanting to make a gazillion dollars.  As far as I'm concerned, he deserves it a helluva lot more than most.  That's not to say that people should be willing to bend over for him.  If you don't want to spend the money, then don't.  I just think he's earned the right to make a fortune if he wants. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2010, 12:07:29 PM »
I got selected for the RogerWaters.com presale... but I'm not paying $552 for two tickets. I'll just see him at Madison Square Garden hopefully with ~$100 tickets.

EDIT: I also got selected for the Hartford presale... but those are $220 each. FUCK to the THAT.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 12:15:30 PM by Birch Boy »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2010, 01:14:04 PM »
Roger: "OK. Here's the band... All good men and true. Five new faces. G.E.Smith (guitar) Robbie Wyckoff (lead singer, doing all David's old bits), and Jon Joyce who worked with me in 1980 and 1990 is joined on BVs by the Lennon cousins, Michael, Mark, and Kipp. The rest of the band you already know, Graham Broad (Drums), Dave Kilminster and Snowy White (Guitars), Jon Carin and Harry Waters (Keyboards). Can't wait to get into rehearsals. Sadly, no female BVs in THE WALL, Katie, Pat, Carol, Sylvia we shall miss you!
Love Roger

The Wall Live:

Drums:
Graham Broad

Guitars:
Dave Kilminster
G.E. Smith
Snowy White

Keyboards:
Jon Carin
Harry Waters

Lead Vocals:
Robbie Wyckoff

Backing Vocals:
Jon Joyce
Mark Lennon
Michael Lennon
Kipp Lennon"

Not real crazy about the lineup.  I was really hoping for somebody other than Kilminster.  The lack of female singers is also disappointing.  Mother in particularly really needs them.  It also doesn't bode well for any non-Wall material. I suspect GE Smith will be taking over the A F-L role; bass or guitar as needed to back up Roger.

On the bright side, I'm a big fan of both Carin and Broad. 
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2010, 02:40:18 PM »
Buddy just texted me, saying he got us tickets for the San Jose show. :hat

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2010, 03:58:27 PM »
I'm hopefully getting tickets tomorrow. :caffeine:

Does anyone know if Madison Square Garden sold out yet? I got an email from RogerWaters.com saying that the MSG presale sold out, but it wasn't too clear about whether the presale sold out, or the presale sold out the entire venue.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2010, 05:35:13 AM »
I'm staying home from school to get tickets as soon as they go on sale, and then I'm walking to school.  :metal

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2010, 08:02:04 AM »
Went for the cheap seats at the Verizon Center in DC through a radio station promo. In the upper deck near the ceiling, but I am looking straight at the stage, so I am happy with that. Tix ended up being about $130 for the pair with all the charges tacked on.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2010, 08:37:24 AM »
Got the cheapest seats for Hartford.... 100 bucks and the first 4 tries they kept giving me limited view seats. :\

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2010, 08:43:53 AM »
After 30 intense minutes of worrying, panicking, frantic typing of 12-letter long verification codes, contemplation, and refreshing, I settled on $90 upper deck Hartford tickets. I can't believe how quickly Madison Square Garden tickets sold out, but they added another (along with another NJ one). I'm satisfied though.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2010, 09:09:05 AM »
Got pretty decent lowers for the middle ($101) price tier.  During the presale the best I could get at the price were nosebleeds, and pretty crappy ones at that. 
E.F. Benson

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2010, 10:57:21 AM »
Not real crazy about the lineup.  I was really hoping for somebody other than Kilminster.  The lack of female singers is also disappointing.  Mother in particularly really needs them.  It also doesn't bode well for any non-Wall material. I suspect GE Smith will be taking over the A F-L role; bass or guitar as needed to back up Roger.

Completely agree, especially on Kilminster. He was an inadequate replacement for Bramhall on the DSotM tour. The lack of female vocalists does not bother me as much. Did Floyd use female vocalists when they performed The Wall in 1979-1980?

As for the non-Wall material, do you really think we are going to get any music after The Wall performance? I will be surprised if we get any additional music, unless Waters wants to drop another steamer in the vein of "Leaving Beruit" on the audience.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2010, 11:09:33 AM »

Completely agree, especially on Kilminster. He was an inadequate replacement for Bramhall on the DSotM tour. The lack of female vocalists does not bother me as much. Did Floyd use female vocalists when they performed The Wall in 1979-1980?

As for the non-Wall material, do you really think we are going to get any music after The Wall performance? I will be surprised if we get any additional music, unless Waters wants to drop another steamer in the vein of "Leaving Beruit" on the audience.
Kilminster doesn't bend notes, which makes him a stunningly inadequate replacement for the mighty Gilmour. 

I don't know if they had chicks originally or not.  What I do know is that I like the modern arrangement of Mother very much.  And as for other songs, the Wall isn't that long.  If they really stretch it out, it might run 95 minutes.  His other concerts have been 2.5 hours.  That, in conjunction with this supposedly being Waters's last tour, points to the likelihood of non-Wall material. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2010, 11:18:28 AM »
Got my ticket. Never seen a concert at the T-Dome so just had to hope for the best when it came to seats in my price range.

Lineup....

I feel the same way EB. I am getting anxious about what (and how much) non-Wall material we'll see. But the previous tour was touted as 'Roger Waters playing DSotM' and there was still a good amount of time devoted to other material.

I've never seen Kilminster play, but watched some of the In the Flesh DVD to re-acquaint myself with the other  guitarist Roger toured with (the lefty). I don't dislike him, but don’t particularly like him either. One thing I realized, though, is that I really don't care for Snowy White's playing. Maybe it's just me, as I've never read anything negative said about him.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2010, 11:45:16 AM »
I like Snowy a great deal.  I also liked Bramahll a lot on that DVD.  Part of my issue with Kilminster is that he is a step down from Bramhall.  Another problem is that he seems to be taking more and more solos from Snowy, which is also a step back, IMO. 

One thing that does occur to me, however, is that the most important thing about the two guitarists is the different sounds of the Strat and the Goldtop.  As long as that's still there, it'll always be a great thing. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2010, 03:23:29 PM »
Show begins promptly at 8pm.
There is no support – this is an evening with Roger Waters performing "The Wall" live.

So, say he plays The Wall right at the start (hypothetically), that would bring us to around 9:30. I'm guessing a 30 minute set of non-Wall material, either before, or right after TW. And that's at least. That would be a 2 hour show, and then maybe another 30 minutes of Pink Floyd/solo material. That's my guess.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2010, 03:53:11 PM »
Show begins promptly at 8pm.
There is no support – this is an evening with Roger Waters performing "The Wall" live.

So, say he plays The Wall right at the start (hypothetically), that would bring us to around 9:30. I'm guessing a 30 minute set of non-Wall material, either before, or right after TW. And that's at least. That would be a 2 hour show, and then maybe another 30 minutes of Pink Floyd/solo material. That's my guess.

I am willing to bet that this is going to follow the show from 1979-1980, so I am expecting some kind of intermission after "Goodbye Cruel World" before the second half picks up. IIRC (I will have to look at my CDs when I get home from the The Wall Live), each set, with extended solos/instrumental passages, ended up being about 50 or so minutes each. So if the show starts promptly at 8:00, Set 1 (disc 1) goes about 50 minutes / 20 or so minute intermission / 50 minutes for set 2 (disc 2) and it is about 10:00. When Floyd did the original tour, there was no encore after "Outside the Wall" and the Berlin performance was ended with a Waters solo tune. So the history of this album being performed live leads me to believe we probably won't get anything else or at most one or two songs (WYWH and/or something from Dark Side is what I would bet on, being the gambling man that I am).

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2010, 05:30:36 PM »
I'll be happy either way.  :)
Pumped to see such a historical tour such as this.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2010, 06:18:46 PM »
After seeing ticket prices...no thanks.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2010, 07:51:35 PM »
After 30 intense minutes of worrying, panicking, frantic typing of 12-letter long verification codes, contemplation, and refreshing, I settled on $90 upper deck Hartford tickets. I can't believe how quickly Madison Square Garden tickets sold out, but they added another (along with another NJ one). I'm satisfied though.

What section? I got 202 row P. Never been to this venue either, so not sure what to expect, and I was really hoping it'd be at an outdoor venue (although its too late in the year for that I guess).