Author Topic: Roger Waters to tour on The Wall this year  (Read 48594 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Roger Waters to tour on The Wall this year
« Reply #350 on: July 13, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »
Nice, I haven't seen that yet.
Frankly I still get all giddy and excited about BluRays, I'm not looking for the next evolutionary entertainment idea yet. I'm sure it will be a year or two before it's everywhere and unavoidable.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #351 on: July 13, 2012, 08:16:07 PM »
Unfortunately, it really doesn't translate well to video.  You can show the concert just fine, but the impact is lost without the enormity of scale.  Impractical to build a 60' wall across your living room, and without the immersion it's not quite the same.

That said, it's still absolutely worth seeing, even if you can't take in the entire spectacle.

Well, I'm sure that BluRay quality + widescreen HDTV may help to bridge that gap.  I completely understand that you'd have to see something of that scale in person, though, but a DVD/BluRay would definitely have to be the next best thing for those of us who - for whatever reason - were unable to see it live.

Yeah, I think that with a lot of technology you can get closer, but there's still something that you will miss. An exzample would be that when In the flesh ends you have all this plane sounds that were so perfec live I would look for planes in the sky even though I knew there were none, but it was son real.

I definitely agree with the sentence that I bolded, but you really could make that argument for any live show/concert that you see in person versus what translates to the smaller screen.

That's really cool though about the loud plane sounds at the end of In The Flesh - Dad had a REALLY good stereo back in the days, and the first time I heard that I about shit myself. :lol   Same with the helicopter sounds between Another Brick Part I and The Happiest Days Of Our Lives. :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #352 on: July 13, 2012, 10:21:46 PM »
The plane is an interesting example.  You'll certainly be able to recreate the sound; all of us have perfectly good surround sound.  What you won't be able to recreate is disorientation that occurs with the plane crashing, the explosions everywhere, the machine guns, the crowd screaming, the lights freaking out, the honor guard waving flags, the fireball and the band wrapping up the song. 

My take is that people who didn't get to see the show will love it, and rightly so,  and those of us that did will find it something of a letdown.  The things that really knocked you on your ass live, Empty Spaces and ABitW3, just seem small on a screen, when they were originally larger than life.

Another thing is that it'll be hard to edit the thing to really get the feel across.  It's basically two entirely different shows, with the band and the staging being one, and the wall being the other.  In the case of a DVD, a single stationary camera from the FOH board would be just as interesting to watch as 8 cameras following all the action. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: July 13, 2012, 10:23:48 PM »
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: July 13, 2012, 10:39:54 PM »
The plane is an interesting example.  You'll certainly be able to recreate the sound; all of us have perfectly good surround sound.  What you won't be able to recreate is disorientation that occurs with the plane crashing, the explosions everywhere, the machine guns, the crowd screaming, the lights freaking out, the honor guard waving flags, the fireball and the band wrapping up the song. 

Not to mention feeling the heat of the pyros.

Good points all around. Has a video release been confirmed? I haven't seen anything.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #355 on: July 13, 2012, 11:51:59 PM »
Another thing is that it'll be hard to edit the thing to really get the feel across.  It's basically two entirely different shows, with the band and the staging being one, and the wall being the other.  In the case of a DVD, a single stationary camera from the FOH board would be just as interesting to watch as 8 cameras following all the action.

Yeah, that's a really good point.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #356 on: July 14, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
Got back to the hotel an hour or so ago...

So amazing
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: July 16, 2012, 03:58:37 AM »

Not to mention feeling the heat of the pyros.

Good points all around. Has a video release been confirmed? I haven't seen anything.

His last show in Buenos Aires was filmed for the DVD. I don't know if a date has been confirmed.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline MetropolisWatches

• I&W/Awake/SFAM/6 Degrees
« Reply #358 on: July 16, 2012, 04:03:08 PM »
Anyone else think the Waters-solo production of The Wall is a bit foppish?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: July 16, 2012, 06:34:22 PM »
foppish?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #360 on: July 16, 2012, 08:09:11 PM »
He's basically saying that Roger is being vain, but over the top with it.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: July 16, 2012, 08:12:22 PM »
SHUT UP

HE IS ANTI VAIN IT EVEN SAYS SO IN HIS SHOW

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MetropolisWatches

• I&W/Awake/SFAM/6 Degrees
« Reply #362 on: July 17, 2012, 05:35:35 PM »
He's basically saying that Roger is being vain, but over the top with it.

There ya go.  :)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #363 on: November 09, 2012, 01:55:57 PM »
https://rogerwaters.com/

New tourdates are out. He's bringing The Wall to Serbia and I couldn't be happier. Just when I thought Brit Floyd will be the closest thing to the good old Floyd I'll ever get to see...

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #364 on: November 09, 2012, 02:00:31 PM »
I think he's coming to turkey too.  :biggrin:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #365 on: November 10, 2012, 01:18:57 AM »
https://rogerwaters.com/

New tourdates are out. He's bringing The Wall to Serbia and I couldn't be happier.
After seeing a grand total of ZERO shows this year (after Leprous being cancelled), I can't explain how much am I looking forward to this.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: November 10, 2012, 02:30:09 AM »
The tour, and the thread, that won't die!

Release a DVD of this already.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #367 on: November 10, 2012, 04:29:03 AM »
He's coming here but I'm not sure if I'm going or not. Tickets are kinda expensive so it depends on what my dad thinks.
With that said, isn't doing The Wall kinda short? I mean the album is like 80 minutes or something? Feels IMO kinda sad that he won't do a third set with some other PF songs like Wish You Were Here or whatever.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: November 10, 2012, 04:48:18 AM »
I thought that too going in, but it sure feels like a full concert, considering the onslaught of imagery, music, and awesomeness. I left the show thinking I got more than my money's worth, and that  having any other songs, before or after The Wall song list, would just have felt weird.

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #369 on: November 10, 2012, 07:15:44 AM »
He's coming here but I'm not sure if I'm going or not. Tickets are kinda expensive so it depends on what my dad thinks.
With that said, isn't doing The Wall kinda short? I mean the album is like 80 minutes or something? Feels IMO kinda sad that he won't do a third set with some other PF songs like Wish You Were Here or whatever.

I recorded the whole show when The Wall last time visited Copenhagen and the recording time says 108 minutes. Like Cool Chris said it would feel wierd if they also played non-related songs.
I will definitely catch the show in Copenhagen next year and maybe I also take the ones in Gothenburg and Berlin.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #370 on: November 10, 2012, 07:25:30 AM »
Didn't he tour with Dark Side of the Moon as well a few years back? What did he do then, only play for 40 mins? :P

Offline Mladen

« Reply #371 on: November 10, 2012, 08:40:30 AM »
I thought that too going in, but it sure feels like a full concert, considering the onslaught of imagery, music, and awesomeness. I left the show thinking I got more than my money's worth, and that  having any other songs, before or after The Wall song list, would just have felt weird.
All great points. It's pretty much an hour and a half of awesomeness, and adding anything from other Floyd albums would sorta mess with the concept.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #372 on: November 10, 2012, 09:11:25 AM »
Hopefully he'll come to Finland again, last time he was here I wasn't a Floyd fan yet and didn't go. Some people on one forum were guessing there's not enough room in the schedule for a Helsinki date, though :sadpanda:

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #373 on: November 10, 2012, 11:54:20 AM »
Hopefully he'll come to Finland again, last time he was here I wasn't a Floyd fan yet and didn't go. Some people on one forum were guessing there's not enough room in the schedule for a Helsinki date, though :sadpanda:
I tend to agree with them. There is no way he can squeeze in a date for Finland while he is in Scandinavia and if you look at the tour schedule it would logistic wise not make sense to travel all the way up to Finland on a later date

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: November 09, 2015, 07:38:10 AM »
It was about god dammed time...
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: November 09, 2015, 08:10:12 AM »
I'll be sure to get this one.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #377 on: November 10, 2015, 12:18:09 PM »
Have you guys seen the deluxe edition?

I read the announcement, and thought 'I'm so totally getting the Box set of this thing'.
It's a triple vinyl, double CD, blu ray box. With a couple of extra's. I believe a numbered litho and some other stuff. Guess how much it costs. Keep in mind that, though the rest of the material is coming out in november, you'll get your super deluxe box 'early 2016'. So the price, guess how much.

No. More.

No. Even more.

https://rogerwaters.com/sde/
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: November 10, 2015, 12:24:49 PM »
I think the deluxe edition is a collectors item, not a whole lot more that I find as "must have".
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #379 on: November 13, 2015, 05:22:48 PM »
Roger Waters was quoted as saying, "I really did try to extend this tour as long and as far as possible. I made every attempt for fans around the world to get raped by ticket prices, but alas, I couldn't get everyone. Now with this set, everyone, no matter their location, color, creed, or religion can have their wallet raped."
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: November 13, 2015, 05:26:47 PM »
I couldn't find a price ?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: November 13, 2015, 05:28:20 PM »

There it is.

....oh.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #382 on: October 06, 2016, 11:05:25 AM »
bump.

not The complete The Wall, but Roger played in Mexico City last week and played the likes of Dogs, Pigs (Three Different Ones), and Fearless

where's the love for Sheep????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obn4R4xEJ7s

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: October 19, 2016, 12:25:24 PM »
Maybe he accidentally deleted his piped in vocal track?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"