Author Topic: Roger Waters to tour on The Wall this year  (Read 48573 times)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: Roger Waters to tour on The Wall this year
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2010, 03:25:14 PM »
Listening to Live8's "Wish you were here", you simply can't tell me that Roger Waters has "on-days" anymore. So yeah, whatever you hear live as great vocals will have been lip-synched.

rumborak

Or maybe it was just an "off" day?  :P

But after doing a little research, I guess he lipsynched all of the performances of Pigs, Fletcher, and Cigar on the tour. Sucks, but I don't think thats to say that he still can't sing well, because he sounded fine on the songs he DID sing, imo.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2010, 03:38:46 PM »
I am a bit surprised at all the love the DSotM tour is receiving. I personally found the one show I saw from that tour to be stale, somewhat boring and predictable compared to the brilliant In The Flesh Tour 1999-2000 (which I saw twice). Additionally, I saw small but noticable amount of people simply walk out after hearing "Leaving Beruit." Not having Doyle Bramhall on guitar really weakened the performance as well, as the guy who took his place was not nearly as good as Doyle was.

One of the things that made the ITF tour solid was the exposure that Waters' solo material received. It was a huge disappointment that he shevled it in favor of the overplayed DSotM. I would love to see a Waters tour where NO Floyd material is played.

As for the upcoming performances of The Wall, as long is it is not cost prohibitive, I am all for it. I think The Wall is hands down the best concept album of all time and I am curious to see how it is stages compared to what was done in 1979-1980. Hopefully his band will be that of the 1999-2000 tour. I think there is real potential for this to be a fantastic presentation and I very much look forward to seeing it...
I saw the Dark Side tour twice.  I agree completely about Kilminster.  I preferred Bramhall, bigtime.  Others here disagree, as I recall.

I still thought the shows were entertaining, though.  Like I said before, I see it as more of a presentation than a concert, but a great time either way.  The Hollywood Bowl show in particular was fantastic.  The Dallas show was missing Andy Fairweather Lowe, who seems to be a sort of right hand man/crutch for Waters.  I think his absence effected the performance. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2010, 03:57:40 PM »
Been looking over different sources to try and find who’ll be performing with Roger on this tour, and have only seen Snowy White and that Kilmister(?) guy confirmed. The lefty on the ITF tour/DVD wasn’t bad, but he didn’t wow me either. Andy Fairweather Low appears to be previously committed elsewhere, which is a shame because he seemed like a solid guitar/back-up bass player.  Jon Carin better be on board. KevShmev hit the nail on the head about him.

Holy crap he played a lot of shows on the DSotM Tour. No wonder his voice went to shit, if it wasn’t already there.

Also:

The show will be a state-of-the art affair, featuring a 240-foot-wide and 35-foot-tall wall constructed and subsequently torn down during the concerts. Gerald Scarfe, who worked on the original tour and the 1982 film, is providing new art and redesigning puppets and inflatable objects. (Video technology allows for projections twice the size of those in the original Wall dates). Roger has also said that this will probably be his last tour saying in one interview "I have a swan song in me and I think this will probably be it." It's also expected that more dates, including shows in Europe, will be announced in the near future.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2010, 04:24:27 PM »
Been looking over different sources to try and find who’ll be performing with Roger on this tour, and have only seen Snowy White and that Kilmister(?) guy confirmed. The lefty on the ITF tour/DVD wasn’t bad, but he didn’t wow me either. Andy Fairweather Low appears to be previously committed elsewhere, which is a shame because he seemed like a solid guitar/back-up bass player.  Jon Carin better be on board. KevShmev hit the nail on the head about him.

Holy crap he played a lot of shows on the DSotM Tour. No wonder his voice went to shit, if it wasn’t already there.

Also:

The show will be a state-of-the art affair, featuring a 240-foot-wide and 35-foot-tall wall constructed and subsequently torn down during the concerts. Gerald Scarfe, who worked on the original tour and the 1982 film, is providing new art and redesigning puppets and inflatable objects. (Video technology allows for projections twice the size of those in the original Wall dates). Roger has also said that this will probably be his last tour saying in one interview "I have a swan song in me and I think this will probably be it." It's also expected that more dates, including shows in Europe, will be announced in the near future.

Cool, Chris.  :tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 10:00:44 AM »
Tickets for my show are listed as: $127.00 - US $201.00. Seriously? I get the high-end prices, but they start at $127?? Other venues are listed at ~$55-$200/$250. And there can be very few venues on this tour more of a shithole than the Tacoma Dome.

Saw this on Wikipedia. Not sure why they need 3 guitarists, but nice to see that SNL dude getting some work. Good to see Jon Carin on board, but no idea why the need a second keyboardist. Oh wait… I see his name is Waters.

Interesting to see some new guy listed solely as ‘Lead Vocals.’ Can’t find much about him other than his myspace, but he couldn't sound any less like David Gilmour.

Bass & Vocals: Roger Waters
Drums: Graham Broad
Guitars: Dave Kilminster, G.E. Smith, Snowy White
Keyboards: Jon Carin, Harry Waters
Lead Vocals:, Robbie Wyckoff
Backing Vocals:, Jon Joyce, Kipp Lennon, Mark Lennon, Michael Lennon
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2010, 10:03:24 AM »
It would be totally amazing to see The Wall live as I saw Dark Side of the Moon 4 years ago. That was truly one of the best shows I've ever seen, and I can't die without having seen any Wall material live. Heck, I might even travel to the US if they don't drop by in Mexico City.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 06:37:17 PM »
Tickets for my show are listed as: $127.00 - US $201.00. Seriously? I get the high-end prices, but they start at $127?? Other venues are listed at ~$55-$200/$250. And there can be very few venues on this tour more of a shithole than the Tacoma Dome.
I can't wait to find out how much I need to pay to get Madison Square Garden tickets than...  :yeahright

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 07:00:16 PM »
I can't wait to find out how much I need to pay to get Madison Square Garden tickets than...  :yeahright

This, unless the tickets are under $50.00 each I'm not going.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2010, 07:35:39 PM »
Floor tickets at the Bell Center : 800$

That's ridiculous
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2010, 07:59:14 PM »
 :omg:

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2010, 08:02:14 PM »
First row : 1600$ PER TICKET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2010, 08:11:20 PM »
I CALL B.S. ON ALL THESE TICKET PRICES

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2010, 08:13:30 PM »
What the hell? You could go to 40 shows for $40.00 each for those prices.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2010, 08:21:19 PM »
Where is everyone finding these prices? I checked the Wikipedia.org page and it had nothing about ticket prices.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2010, 08:42:42 PM »
Will have to try and find tickets!!!!

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2010, 08:43:32 PM »
I don't even think tickets went on sale yet...  :huh:

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2010, 08:44:35 PM »

Well I wasn't saying at this moment lol

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2010, 08:45:05 PM »

That was in response to the ticket prices.  :lol

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2010, 08:46:35 PM »
Yeah I know they are not on sale, and honestly I highly doubt tickets will cost more than 300$. I posted the link because I found that ridiculous. :lol

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2010, 08:47:18 PM »

That was in response to the ticket prices.  :lol

ha good to know!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2010, 10:48:32 PM »
https://www.stubhub.com/roger-waters-tickets/the-wall-live-tour-featuring-roger-waters-tickets-montreal-10-19-2010-959114/

For the Montreal show

Eh, those are scalpers' prices, which are always absurdly high.  

Prices for the St. Louis show are listed at $55-$199.  Ugh.  A friend of mine will probably talk me into going, but I think that is too much to pay.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2010, 10:50:41 PM »
And sadly, people actually pay for those.

I should sell my Porcupine Tree front and center ticket... I could pay for next year's college tuition.  :P

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2010, 12:42:59 AM »
Buffalo, apparently.

caw caw

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2010, 09:25:42 AM »
VIP packages for this tour are $450 and $700.  What a freaking ripoff.  If this were Pink Floyd, I would consider doing that, as that would be a once in a lifetime show (or twice in my case :p), but for just Waters?  Hell no.  I am not sure I even want to pay over 100 bucks for crappy seats for this, honestly.  I was just telling a friend that it is hard to rationalize paying that much money for a concert I am not the least bit excited about.  Yeah, yeah, it's The Wall...but this ain't Pink Floyd.  We'll see...

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2010, 10:17:28 AM »
That Buffalo chart is actually fairly reasonable compared to Dallas.  There are only 3 tiers here, and the middle ($101) ranged tickets are still 3rd balcony.  The equivalent of 324 on that chart.  I'd pay the $101 for plenty of those green seats. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ocean Machine

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2010, 01:42:47 PM »
Got my tickets for the Staples Center. Me and my gf, $125 a ticket. It'll be my Christmas present to myself, I guess.
"What in the HELL does Total Mass Retain even mean?!"

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2010, 03:38:24 PM »
Got tix...I am fuckin pumped.

I expect this to be the best spectacle I have been to concert wise.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2010, 06:42:45 PM »
Hopefully getting my tickets soon.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
The Wall is an hour and twenty one minutes long, so do you guys think he'll fill other time in with solo (?... don't know if he even has solo stuff, I just know and love Pink Floyd  :lol ) stuff, other Pink Floyd material, or just play TW?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2010, 04:47:33 PM »
I wondered about that. For the DSotM tour, his setlist was below. I would guess that the non-DSotM material accounted for about 90 minutes (too lazy to look up song lengths). Which, if the total lengths of both shows are equal, would leave a good hour or so of non-Wall material on this tour. 

Yes, Birch Boy, he has solo material. I haven't listened to enough of it to give a it good judgment.

It he just played The Wall, I might have to rethink buying tickets, as $100+ for a <90 minute show is pretty steep, regardless of who it is or what they are playing.

Set one
In the Flesh
Mother
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts II - V) (abridged)
Have a Cigar
Wish You Were Here
Southampton Dock
The Fletcher Memorial Home
Perfect Sense
Leaving Beirut
Sheep

Set two - (The Dark Side of the Moon)
Speak to Me / Breathe
On the Run
Time / Breathe (Reprise)
The Great Gig in the Sky
Money
Us and Them
Any Colour You Like
Brain Damage
Eclipse

Encore
The Happiest Days of Our Lives
Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)
Vera
Bring the Boys Back Home
Comfortably Numb

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2010, 05:06:59 PM »
Sweet Cool Chris, thanks. I hope he does something similar this tour.

Cheapest tickets for Madison Square Garden are $80, and the American Express presale is sold out. I'll try for the iTunes presale.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 07:59:14 PM by Birch Boy »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2010, 07:52:05 PM »
You have to assume he will play plenty of other songs, not just all of The Wall and then just an encore.  Charging that much money for less than two hours of music would be a serious ripoff (not that the prices aren't already absurd).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2010, 10:52:41 PM »
Only way I even THINK about something like this is if I get to hear Amused To Death in its entirety.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2010, 08:01:29 AM »
Went to see The Wall in Berlin in 1990. It was pretty meh.
If Rog plays Europe, and does a full second set, and the ticket prices are reasonable, I might go, but I can take it or leave it.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."