Author Topic: Roger Waters to tour on The Wall this year  (Read 48574 times)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Roger Waters to tour on The Wall this year
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2010, 07:01:54 PM »
Holy shit. Two more dates were added consecutively at the O2 Arena in London... Five nights in a row in the O2 Arena.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2010, 04:23:32 PM »
He guys, long story short, I may need to sell my Connecticut tickets because Homecoming is the same night, so if you're interested go here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=13962.new#new. All details are in that thread.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2010, 01:56:40 PM »
Got tickets for the 9th of April :caffeine:. Cannot wait! Not the best places, but awesome nonetheless.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2010, 02:06:23 PM »
Got tickets for the 9th of April :caffeine:. Cannot wait! Not the best places, but awesome nonetheless.
Nice, isn't that the second date announced at the Gelredome
Congrats
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2010, 03:32:24 PM »
Nice, isn't that the second date announced at the Gelredome
Congrats
Yep, second date at the Gelredome. Thanks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2010, 08:11:08 PM »
Tour started last night in Toronto I believe. Looks like the setlist is just 'The Wall' without any other songs.  :(

A few notes/photos/videos here, trying not to be spoiled but it's a long time till my show in December. Roger doesn't sound too bad in what I've heard.

https://concertaholics.com/2010/09/15/roger-waters-the-wall-in-toronto-air-canada-centre-2010/
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2010, 08:34:50 PM »
Seeing him in less than a month, pumped!

But I still haven't payed off my ninety-dollar ticket (cheapest in the venue).

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2010, 08:53:36 PM »
Damn! He's sounding good!!!

Although in "Run Like Hell" they are playing half-tune down.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 09:00:23 PM by emindead »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #148 on: September 16, 2010, 09:15:13 PM »
There are some shows where I like to be clear-headed and really appreciate some nice music.  Other shows I want to get completed baked off my ass to see a huge fucking spectacle.  I don't think there's any question which category this one will fall under.

In the Flesh-09/15/10
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #149 on: September 16, 2010, 09:16:21 PM »
There are some shows where I like to be clear-headed and really appreciate some nice music.  Other shows I want to get completed baked off my ass to see a huge fucking spectacle.  I don't think there's any question which category this one will fall under.

Well said.  :lol ;)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: September 16, 2010, 09:19:53 PM »
I saw the video of One of My Turns. It was mind boggling. I am now going to avoid reviews and vids like the plague. I want to be awed when I see this in November.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: September 16, 2010, 09:40:44 PM »
Same, I want everything to be a surprise (stage show-wise). 'Twill be epic.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #152 on: September 16, 2010, 10:11:04 PM »
  Looks like the setlist is just 'The Wall' without any other songs.  :(

Knowing that now, I am definitely glad I didn't plunk down big bucks to see this.  That will be no more than a 90-minute show, not counting the intermission which I am sure takes place in between the first and second disc.  Of course, quality is more important than quantity, but jeez, at least do an encore or something. 

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: September 16, 2010, 10:17:54 PM »
The dude is 66!

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #154 on: September 17, 2010, 06:35:01 AM »
The dude is 66!

And the tickets are expensive.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #155 on: September 17, 2010, 08:25:53 AM »
The dude is 66!

And the tickets are expensive.
I saw Dave Brubeck's 88 year old ass do 3 encores over 30 minutes, despite requiring assistance just to get back to his bench each time.  If that dude can keep going past 11:00 because people want to see it, and at a $20 concert no less, then I think Roger could throw out an extra song or two. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline voicesinmyhead

« Reply #156 on: September 17, 2010, 08:37:19 AM »
  Looks like the setlist is just 'The Wall' without any other songs.  :(

Knowing that now, I am definitely glad I didn't plunk down big bucks to see this.  That will be no more than a 90-minute show, not counting the intermission which I am sure takes place in between the first and second disc.  Of course, quality is more important than quantity, but jeez, at least do an encore or something. 

Understandable, but I'm very happy to hear that it's just The Wall. I was worried he was going to insert some of his war-related solo material. Though I love a lot of his solo material, and I'm kicking myself for missing his tours over the last few years, if the show is "The Wall", that's really all I want to hear. Build it up, knock it down, and call it a night.

Yes, tickets are expensive, but for me, this is a once in a lifetime experience, and that is worth 200+ dollars (for two tickets, decent seats).
The only thing I could decipher was, "Nous besoin d'ordre mondial," meaning, "We need global order." This apparently upsets Mustaine, because he launches into a monster guitar solo!

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #157 on: September 17, 2010, 08:46:24 AM »
Tour started last night in Toronto I believe. Looks like the setlist is just 'The Wall' without any other songs.  :(

No surprises there. I was fully expecting it to be just The Wall, as it was when Pink Floyd did the tour for that album in 1980-1981.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #158 on: September 17, 2010, 09:50:31 AM »
that would be something to see

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: September 17, 2010, 11:38:39 AM »
I am conflicted about this setlist. On the one hand, I can see why the show is solely dedicated to The Wall. You can’t really do anything before the Wall portion of the show. The show should start out with ‘In the Flesh.’ And once you ‘tear down the wall,’ that image and climax should be what you leave the audience with when they head out. It just doesn’t seem like it is long enough of a show for an entire performance. But I can’t speak to how powerful the experience is until I see it. A <100 minute long movie can be as intense as a 3 hour epic, if not more so since it’s packed in to a smaller package. 

On the other hand, a few songs as an encore among the torn down bricks shouldn’t take away from the spectacle of the Wall portion of the show.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #160 on: September 17, 2010, 11:55:57 AM »
Interesting point.  After the amazing Comfortably Numb finale on TDB tour, throwing in Run Like Hell as an encore was quite a downer.  I suppose the wall coming down probably should be the conclusion of the evening.

However, there are still ways he could throw in a bit of added value.  Perhaps a short acoustic set in the slot an opening act would normally fill. 
E.F. Benson

Offline voicesinmyhead

« Reply #161 on: September 17, 2010, 12:55:48 PM »
Interesting point.  After the amazing Comfortably Numb finale on TDB tour, throwing in Run Like Hell as an encore was quite a downer.  I suppose the wall coming down probably should be the conclusion of the evening.

However, there are still ways he could throw in a bit of added value.  Perhaps a short acoustic set in the slot an opening act would normally fill. 

Like Chris said, a pre-show would ruin the impact of "In the Flesh?". The only real option is to insert songs into the two sets, and that would disrupt the flow of the concert.

Is it shorter than most concerts? Yes, but listen to the "Is There Anybody Out There?" album. By the end of that thing, I'm 100% satisfied. "The Wall" is exactly as long as it should be, and the show will be incredibly satisfying, I'm certain of it.
The only thing I could decipher was, "Nous besoin d'ordre mondial," meaning, "We need global order." This apparently upsets Mustaine, because he launches into a monster guitar solo!

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #162 on: September 17, 2010, 01:05:38 PM »

Like Chris said, a pre-show would ruin the impact of "In the Flesh?". The only real option is to insert songs into the two sets, and that would disrupt the flow of the concert.

Is it shorter than most concerts? Yes, but listen to the "Is There Anybody Out There?" album. By the end of that thing, I'm 100% satisfied. "The Wall" is exactly as long as it should be, and the show will be incredibly satisfying, I'm certain of it.

Go back and listen (or suffer through, depending on your perspective) The Wall Live In Berlin. That show had an encore and it doesn't quite fit the overall experience of the show. I think if he threw a song out there as an encore or even in a pre-show acoustic set, it would dilute the impact. Instead of leaving with whole production in your mind to soak in, you are moved on to the next thing right away, and if it is a song or two that you weren't interested in (i.e. for me, Money or something like Leaving Beruit), that would be the last memory and would be a distraction moreso than an enhancement. This is one show where I won't be complaining about the less than 2 hours of on-stage time...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: September 17, 2010, 01:31:19 PM »
Go back and listen (or suffer through, depending on your perspective) The Wall Live In Berlin. That show had an encore and it doesn't quite fit the overall experience of the show….Instead of leaving with whole production in your mind to soak in, you are moved on to the next thing right away, and if it is a song or two that you weren't interested in (i.e. for me, Money or something like Leaving Beruit), that would be the last memory and would be a distraction moreso than an enhancement.

Yeah, that Berlin show ending worked (and I use that term very loosely), because they treated it almost like a denouement to the Wall story instead of a typical encore-type song. And I recall they didn’t do ‘Outside the Wall’ so it was sort of in lieu of that. And it served as a curtain call of sorts for all the stars (and non-stars, if you will).

I just feel bad this will be the only time I will ever see any member of PF live, and was hoping they’d throw me a Floyd bone or two.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: September 17, 2010, 02:15:47 PM »
Don't know if I said this, but I'm missing homecoming for this. I play snare drum in the marching band too, and I'd be performing with them in the half-time show, but this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Hopefully he doesn't jack up the prices for the tee shirts like Aerosmith did.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2010, 03:19:31 PM »
Don't know if I said this, but I'm missing homecoming for this. I play snare drum in the marching band too, and I'd be performing with them in the half-time show, but this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

[/qu

Of course he will! :D

But good job on missing some shitty dance because of this. Hell...I'd miss prom for this. Well, I'd miss prom for a root canal, so...I'm a bad example.

Offline voicesinmyhead

« Reply #166 on: September 17, 2010, 03:36:11 PM »
Go back and listen (or suffer through, depending on your perspective) The Wall Live In Berlin. That show had an encore and it doesn't quite fit the overall experience of the show. I think if he threw a song out there as an encore or even in a pre-show acoustic set, it would dilute the impact. Instead of leaving with whole production in your mind to soak in, you are moved on to the next thing right away, and if it is a song or two that you weren't interested in (i.e. for me, Money or something like Leaving Beruit), that would be the last memory and would be a distraction moreso than an enhancement. This is one show where I won't be complaining about the less than 2 hours of on-stage time...

You're not directing that at me, are you? I completely agree with you. I just want The Wall, and nothing else.

Though if he wants to invite everyone to a free second show where he plays select cuts from Animals, WYWH, DSOTM, Amused to Death, and The Final Cut, I won't complain  ;)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2010, 08:12:50 PM »

[/qu

Of course he will! :D

But good job on missing some shitty dance because of this. Hell...I'd miss prom for this. Well, I'd miss prom for a root canal, so...I'm a bad example.
Homecoming is a football game, not a dance

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: September 18, 2010, 09:51:17 AM »
Oh...well...I fucked up then. :lol

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: September 18, 2010, 05:44:06 PM »
Some schools may have a homecoming ball, but our's doesn't. And even if that was the case, "homecoming" would be the football game.

/taking everything literally

EDIT: Got Amused To Death today, looking forward to hearing it. From what I heard in the car on the way to my friend's house, it sounds really cool.

Offline TheGlassPrison

« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2010, 01:10:15 AM »
saw this show tonight in Chicago. i don't want to spoil everything, but i will say that i was definitely impressed with the production values. the stage show was excellent, and the music did justice to the material. it's impossible for Waters and his band to match the excellence of the original album, but they play with enough energy and accuracy to keep up with the stage show, and they make things generally a lot of fun. there are a few minor complaints, but overall i'm fine with the money i spent. then again, i sat in the nosebleeds - it really doesn't hurt the experience, you can still see everything that happens on stage just fine.

i don't think i can comment further without divulging what happens during the show, so the only other opinion i'll mention is this: keeping the show confined to The Wall is absolutely the right choice. before going to the show, I was firmly in the "I want an encore!" camp, but after seeing the show it's clear that you can't do anything before or after The Wall.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #171 on: September 25, 2010, 02:48:50 AM »
Some schools may have a homecoming ball, but our's doesn't. And even if that was the case, "homecoming" would be the football game.

EDIT: Got Amused To Death today, looking forward to hearing it. From what I heard in the car on the way to my friend's house, it sounds really cool.

What a coincidence! On the train ride back from the gig my buddy and I were talking to this one guy about the show and he said that we should listen to that album. according to him, It mirrors if not overpowers THE WALL, any thoughts?

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: September 25, 2010, 09:42:07 AM »

What a coincidence! On the train ride back from the gig my buddy and I were talking to this one guy about the show and he said that we should listen to that album. according to him, It mirrors if not overpowers THE WALL, any thoughts?
When I burned it to a disc for my step-dad, I told him that it was similar to The Wall, so yeah, I definitely see a comparison. It's a really strong album, as is TW. Both concept albums about things that Roger Waters wants to change, and both with the perfect mix of rockin' songs and lighter, softer, slower, deep-meaning songs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2010, 09:44:29 AM »
Amused to Death is great, but I wouldn't say it mirrors The Wall.  Not at all.  Sure, both have that distinct Roger Waters style and vibe, but that is it.  Regardless, ATD is a must-have for any Floyd fan.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #174 on: September 29, 2010, 03:06:13 PM »
I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan, and even less of The Wall, but I downloaded the Chicago 9/20/10 show off of Dime, and I cannot believe my eyes. I'm speechless. This has to be the coolest concert presentation I have ever seen. I can only imagine how great it is in person.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol