Author Topic: Roger Waters to tour on The Wall this year  (Read 48565 times)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Roger Waters to tour on The Wall this year
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2010, 08:18:59 PM »
After 30 intense minutes of worrying, panicking, frantic typing of 12-letter long verification codes, contemplation, and refreshing, I settled on $90 upper deck Hartford tickets. I can't believe how quickly Madison Square Garden tickets sold out, but they added another (along with another NJ one). I'm satisfied though.

What section? I got 202 row P. Never been to this venue either, so not sure what to expect, and I was really hoping it'd be at an outdoor venue (although its too late in the year for that I guess).
Section 203 Row DD! That's pretty close for the chances of us being anywhere near each other. Pre-show meetup?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
After 30 intense minutes of worrying, panicking, frantic typing of 12-letter long verification codes, contemplation, and refreshing, I settled on $90 upper deck Hartford tickets. I can't believe how quickly Madison Square Garden tickets sold out, but they added another (along with another NJ one). I'm satisfied though.

What section? I got 202 row P. Never been to this venue either, so not sure what to expect, and I was really hoping it'd be at an outdoor venue (although its too late in the year for that I guess).
Section 203 Row DD! That's pretty close for the chances of us being anywhere near each other. Pre-show meetup?

For sure!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2010, 10:20:09 PM »
After seeing ticket prices...no thanks.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
What really justified me spending $90 on upper deck tickets was how epic and historical this tour will be. Between it being Roger Waters' last tour, him playing The Wall, and how fucking epicly mind-blowing the stage show will be, I would hate to miss it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2010, 01:51:49 PM »
What really justified me spending $90 on upper deck tickets was how epic and historical this tour will be. Between it being Roger Waters' last tour, him playing The Wall, and how fucking epicly mind-blowing the stage show will be, I would hate to miss it.

It would be a lot more epic and historical if it were Pink Floyd, not just Waters by himself.  Seeing a bunch of second rate guitar players stumble their way through David Gilmour's all-time great solos?  No thanks.  That is why I couldn't justify spending that much money.  It's not Pink Floyd, Waters has no voice left, and it smacks of him doing one last cash grab before retiring for good.  I always liked that David Gilmour said he or Pink Floyd would never become a nostalgia act.  Waters, on the other hand, assuming this actually is his last tour, will have done his last two tours by touring on albums from over 30 years ago; this once great artist and musical genius is now nothing but a nostalgia act, which is kind of sad, really.  I am glad Gilmour never had to stoop to that.  As important as The Wall was in my development as a music fan, seeing Waters do it in 2010 without Floyd just isn't very appealing.  Like I told a friend of mine, who was stunned that I didn't want to get a ticket, I simply couldn't rationalize spending that much money on a concert I wasn't the least bit excited about.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2010, 01:57:59 PM »
Well said Kev.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »
I guess that's an understandable reason for you guys, because you lived through Pink Floyd and got to see them, anticipate new releases, etc... I just became a Floyd fan last year, and being 15, I doubt my live Floyd-related experiences will ever top this, seeing as how this'll probably be my only and last chance to see something as magnificent (or once magnificent depending on who you talk to) as this. That's really why I'm so excited.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2010, 02:53:15 PM »

It would be a lot more epic and historical if it were Pink Floyd, not just Waters by himself.  Seeing a bunch of second rate guitar players stumble their way through David Gilmour's all-time great solos?  No thanks.  That is why I couldn't justify spending that much money.  It's not Pink Floyd, Waters has no voice left, and it smacks of him doing one last cash grab before retiring for good.  I always liked that David Gilmour said he or Pink Floyd would never become a nostalgia act.  Waters, on the other hand, assuming this actually is his last tour, will have done his last two tours by touring on albums from over 30 years ago; this once great artist and musical genius is now nothing but a nostalgia act, which is kind of sad, really.  I am glad Gilmour never had to stoop to that.  As important as The Wall was in my development as a music fan, seeing Waters do it in 2010 without Floyd just isn't very appealing.  Like I told a friend of mine, who was stunned that I didn't want to get a ticket, I simply couldn't rationalize spending that much money on a concert I wasn't the least bit excited about.
Ya know, Gilmour did do a tour with DSotM and a lot of non-Floyd band members (including a couple of Roger's).  It's a nostalgia act now, but wasn't in the 90s?  I also remember tickets being exorbitantly expensive and being as much about the [truly incredible] stage show as anything else.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Gilmour's and I was reasonably cool with the Division Bell, I'm having a hard time with your distinction. 

My take on this, aside from the he deserves to get rich standpoint I've already expressed, is that it's really more of a presentation than a concert.  That's OK with me, I can except it.  I've certainly spent more on less before.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2010, 03:01:57 PM »
I guess that's an understandable reason for you guys, because you lived through Pink Floyd and got to see them, anticipate new releases, etc... I just became a Floyd fan last year, and being 15, I doubt my live Floyd-related experiences will ever top this, seeing as how this'll probably be my only and last chance to see something as magnificent (or once magnificent depending on who you talk to) as this. That's really why I'm so excited.

I can totally understand this line of thinking.  Had Waters done this tour when I first got into Floyd, I would have been all over it, regardless of price.

Ya know, Gilmour did do a tour with DSotM and a lot of non-Floyd band members (including a couple of Roger's).  It's a nostalgia act now, but wasn't in the 90s?  I also remember tickets being exorbitantly expensive and being as much about the [truly incredible] stage show as anything else.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Gilmour's and I was reasonably cool with the Division Bell, I'm having a hard time with your distinction.  

No, it is completely different.

For one, it was The Division Bell tour.  Floyd were touring on a new record; Waters is touring a record that is 31 years old.

Two, they didn't start playing all of Dark Side of the Moon until later in the tour, and even then, it still wasn't played in its entirety every night.

Lastly, tickets were not that expensive.  I remember mine was $75, and my seat was pretty darn good.  Okay, ticket prices have gone up since 1994, so you have to account for that, but they still weren't gouging fans the way Waters and/or promotes are this year.

Also, I am still disappointed that "Astronomy Domine" didn't make the set on the show recorded for the Pulse video.  That was a fantastic opener.  The greatness of "Shine On..." speaks for itself, but for a concert, starting off with a rocker like AD was absolute money.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2010, 05:59:28 PM »
Ya know, Gilmour did do a tour with DSotM and a lot of non-Floyd band members (including a couple of Roger's).  It's a nostalgia act now, but wasn't in the 90s?  I also remember tickets being exorbitantly expensive and being as much about the [truly incredible] stage show as anything else.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Gilmour's and I was reasonably cool with the Division Bell, I'm having a hard time with your distinction.  

No, it is completely different.

For one, it was The Division Bell tour.  Floyd were touring on a new record; Waters is touring a record that is 31 years old.

Two, they didn't start playing all of Dark Side of the Moon until later in the tour, and even then, it still wasn't played in its entirety every night.

Lastly, tickets were not that expensive.  I remember mine was $75, and my seat was pretty darn good.  Okay, ticket prices have gone up since 1994, so you have to account for that, but they still weren't gouging fans the way Waters and/or promotes are this year.

Also, I am still disappointed that "Astronomy Domine" didn't make the set on the show recorded for the Pulse video.  That was a fantastic opener.  The greatness of "Shine On..." speaks for itself, but for a concert, starting off with a rocker like AD was absolute money.

Looking over the setlists, it looks like my recollection of the show is completely shot.  For some reason I've had it in my head that the entire second set was DSotM.  Looks like they only did that a couple of times, and not at the show I was at.  Far out.

Tickets were exorbitant, though.  Mine was $75, too, which translates to roughly $112.50 now.  As I recall, all of them were; from front row to the highest nosebleed.  Tickets for this show are starting at $51.  I got decent lowers for $101, which is still better than for the Pulse show. 

Interesting tidbit.  I decided to go and bought tickets about 4 o'clock the day of the show.  Manged to get 2 seats on the floor in the back section.  Even saw them on the seating chart at the TM outlet.  When we got to the venue, they had rearranged the section numbers, so ours were actually the front section, roughly row 10.  Great for us.  Sucks for the people who initially thought they had great seats. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2010, 06:12:47 PM »
I just need to throw this out there. It could be insignificant. I do not know.

A lot of you guys are talking about Waters playing the Wall and then doing other stuff. Well, my step dad saw the actual The Wall with Pink Floyd, and that was actually all they did. Just thought I should throw that out there.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2010, 06:46:16 PM »

A lot of you guys are talking about Waters playing the Wall and then doing other stuff. Well, my step dad saw the actual The Wall with Pink Floyd, and that was actually all they did. Just thought I should throw that out there.

It's possible I suppose, but last tour he did two sets.... one with the "greatest hits" and other gems, second with all of DSOTM, and then an encore. I doubt he would just do The Wall, I'm sure we'll be getting another set, especially since this is probably his last tour, according to him.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2010, 10:27:18 PM »
Looking over the setlists, it looks like my recollection of the show is completely shot.  For some reason I've had it in my head that the entire second set was DSotM.  Looks like they only did that a couple of times, and not at the show I was at.  Far out.

Tickets were exorbitant, though.  Mine was $75, too, which translates to roughly $112.50 now.  As I recall, all of them were; from front row to the highest nosebleed.  Tickets for this show are starting at $51.  I got decent lowers for $101, which is still better than for the Pulse show. 

Interesting tidbit.  I decided to go and bought tickets about 4 o'clock the day of the show.  Manged to get 2 seats on the floor in the back section.  Even saw them on the seating chart at the TM outlet.  When we got to the venue, they had rearranged the section numbers, so ours were actually the front section, roughly row 10.  Great for us.  Sucks for the people who initially thought they had great seats. 

Haha, that worked out great for you guys, but, like you said, not so much for others. :p :lol 

I loved the way they segued from "Time" into "High Hopes" when we saw them.  When the line "The tolling of the iron bell" was sang, the second drummer did the bell ding from "High Hopes" and kept doing for the last bit of the song until it ended and then continued as they immediately went into "High Hopes."  That was rad as hell.  We also got "Poles Apart" at our show, which made me very happy, as that has always been one of my favorite songs from that record.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2010, 08:47:43 AM »

It's possible I suppose, but last tour he did two sets.... one with the "greatest hits" and other gems, second with all of DSOTM, and then an encore. I doubt he would just do The Wall, I'm sure we'll be getting another set, especially since this is probably his last tour, according to him.

But remember, The Wall IS a two-set show on its own. The original staging had two roughly 50 minute sets separated by a 20-minute intermission (based on the length of the CDs that are a part of 'The Wall Live" CD set). And it seems from what I read about the original staging, this is a pretty intensive performance on a lot of levels, so I imagine there might not be a lot in the tank once "Outside The Wall" is concluded. One or two songs max, and maybe 10-15 minutes worth of music IF they play anything else...

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2010, 10:58:29 AM »
Fans across the pond should check this out: https://tour.rogerwaters.com/tour/ (scroll down)

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2010, 08:49:09 AM »
I Just bought my tickets for the wall

FIRST ROW
I'm bloody psyched
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2010, 12:56:24 PM »
wow, nice!

Offline nemesiskoen

« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2010, 02:32:10 PM »
He's doing two shows in Antwerp. I love right now that I live in the greatest city of Belgium, and will be ordering my tickets as soon as I contacted my friends back at home. This is gonna be great :D The sportpaleis is an awesome venue. It's almost a whole year but I can't wait!

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2010, 09:15:01 PM »

FIRST ROW
I'm bloody psyched
DAMN!
How much did that cost you? Probably more bones than are in your body!

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2010, 01:32:00 AM »

FIRST ROW
I'm bloody psyched
DAMN!
two tickets and related costs were about 160 euros altogether
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2010, 11:09:31 AM »

FIRST ROW
I'm bloody psyched
DAMN!
I'm not sure what the conversion factor is, but my UPPER DECK tickets were $90 a pop...
Ticket prices, how do they work?

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #126 on: June 05, 2010, 01:47:36 PM »

FIRST ROW
I'm bloody psyched
DAMN!
I'm not sure what the conversion factor is, but my UPPER DECK tickets were $90 a pop...
I have no idea ???

the difference between the "worst" places and the front row was about 4 euros

so, I don't get it

Offline nemesiskoen

« Reply #127 on: June 05, 2010, 02:35:10 PM »
Antwerp tickets were sold out at once, for two concerts. So I'll be going to London :-) Have a nice city-trip in the process. Tickets were €100, which is kinda much I think, so it better be mind-blowing :D

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2010, 02:36:05 PM »

FIRST ROW
I'm bloody psyched
DAMN!
I have no idea ???

so, I don't get it
Front row for my show is $716.89

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2010, 02:52:51 PM »

FIRST ROW
I'm bloody psyched
DAMN!

I have no idea ???

so, I don't get it

SAY WHAT!!!!!

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: June 05, 2010, 04:00:47 PM »

FIRST ROW
I'm bloody psyched
DAMN!

I have no idea ???

so, I don't get it

SAY WHAT!!!!!
Now I think you can see why I was so surprised with your price (even though I don't know the conversion factor).

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2010, 06:07:43 PM »

FIRST ROW
I'm bloody psyched
DAMN!

I have no idea ???

so, I don't get it

SAY WHAT!!!!!
Now I think you can see why I was so surprised with your price (even though I don't know the conversion factor).
Follow the news moar. It's around 1.20 now (1 Dollar is worth 1.20 Euro's).

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2010, 06:24:38 PM »

FIRST ROW
I'm bloody psyched
DAMN!

I have no idea ???

so, I don't get it

SAY WHAT!!!!!
Follow the news moar. It's around 1.20 now (1 Dollar is worth 1.20 Euro's).
Don't you live in holland?

and are you going to the show?

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2010, 06:25:49 PM »
I do, and I really want to go. I don't really have the cash for it though... I asked tickets for my birthday which is coming up, but I think they are a tad too expensive. My dad was a Floyd fan though, so who knows...

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #134 on: June 06, 2010, 02:03:57 AM »
I do, and I really want to go. I don't really have the cash for it though... I asked tickets for my birthday which is coming up, but I think they are a tad too expensive. My dad was a Floyd fan though, so who knows...
I hope you get tickets
i hear they are almost sold out

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: June 06, 2010, 04:34:49 AM »
I'm not too hopefull. I would really like to go. The Wall is one of my favorite albums and this would probably the only time I would be able to see anything related to Pink Floyd. I just can't afford those tickets myself (not atm anyway), I'm just a poor student :/.

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #136 on: June 06, 2010, 11:17:27 AM »
I'm not too hopefull. I would really like to go. The Wall is one of my favorite albums and this would probably the only time I would be able to see anything related to Pink Floyd. I just can't afford those tickets myself (not atm anyway), I'm just a poor student :/.
I don't want to be a buzz-kill but I just checked and the tickets for the Arnhem show are sold out

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2010, 01:08:20 PM »

Thats not the face value for the ticket though.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: June 06, 2010, 01:21:27 PM »

Oh really? Alright I'm gonna check again and get one that sounds more realistic.

Alright $199.00 seems to be the most expensive normal-priced ticket, and A VIP ticket is $699.oo.

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #139 on: June 06, 2010, 01:22:40 PM »

Oh really? Alright I'm gonna check again and get one that sounds more realistic.

Alright $199.00 seems to be the most expensive normal-priced ticket, and A VIP ticket is $699.oo.
still very pricey if you consider how much I have payed