Author Topic: Roger Waters to tour on The Wall this year  (Read 48577 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Roger Waters to tour on The Wall this year
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:24:30 AM »
Official announcement supposedly coming at his website at 1 p.m. Central time, but the rumored dates according to a Floyd site are:

Sep 15 Air Canada Centre Toronto, ON
Sep 20 United Center Chicago, IL
Sep 21 United Center Chicago, IL
Sep 26 Consol Energy Center Pittsburgh, PA
Sep 28 Quicken Loans Arena Cleveland, OH
Sep 30 Boston TD Garden Boston, MA
Oct 05 Madison Square Garden New York City, NY
Oct 08 HSBC Arena Buffalo, NY
Oct 10 Verizon Center Washington D.C.
Oct 12 Nassau Coliseum Long Island, NY
Oct 15 XL Center Hartford, CT
Oct 17 Scotiabank Place Ottawa, ON
Oct 19 Bell Centre Montreal, PQ
Oct 22 Schottenstein Center Columbus, OH
Oct 24 The Palace of Auburn Hills Detroit, MI
Oct 26 Qwest Center Omaha, NE
Oct 27 Xcel Energy Center St Paul, MN
Oct 29 Scottrade Center St Louis, MO
Oct 30 Sprint Center Kansas City, MO
Nov 03 Izod Center East Rutherford, NJ
Nov 08 Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA
Nov 09 Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA
Nov 13 Bank Atlantic Center Fort Lauderdale, FL
Nov 16 St Pete Times Forum Tampa, FL
Nov 18 Philips Arena Atlanta, GA
Nov 20 Toyota Center Houston, TX
Nov 21 American Airlines Center Dallas, TX
Nov 23 Pepsi Center Denver, CO
Nov 26 MGM Grand Garden Arena Las Vegas, NV
Nov 27 US Airways Center Phoenix, AZ
Nov 29 The Forum Los Angeles, CA
Dec 06 HP Pavilion San Jose, CA
Dec 10 GM Place Vancouver, BC
Dec 11 Tacoma Dome Tacoma, WA
Dec 13 Honda Center Anaheim, CA

It's also possible that the following cities might be included

Albany
Atlantic City
Milwaukee
San Diego
Oakland

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
Re: Roger Waters to tour on The Wall this year
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 10:56:58 AM »
WOW...I can't see how I could miss the CA dates

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 11:02:46 AM »
If he decides to come to this side of the pond, I might consider going.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 11:47:20 AM »
Well, I need one of those other cities being in there...but if it is, I'll go, depending on ticket price.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TTTSTA

• GRRRRR
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 11:54:58 AM »
Ill be at detroit! :tup
Sig removed for being too Gaahl!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 12:16:04 PM »
Just saw this on another forum and came to post here.

What can I say but... HUZZAH for nostalgia tours! But wait! This can't just be a money-grab, could it? Nah!

This is posted on Roger's website...  

HUMANS need the protection of THE RULE OF LAW. The trick would be for US to agree upon what THE LAW should be NOW, (something WE have been working on for a few hundred years), but also to agree that as WE develop OUR understanding of both OURSELVES and OUR surroundings, WE will have insights and may need to modify THE LAWS that govern US. THE LAW should not be written in STONE. Please take note all followers of MOSES and other dead prophets.

Which leads me neatly to my next point.

In my view.

RELIGION provides A WALL between US and the reality of OUR lives.

Also,
There is a WALL between:

RICH and POOR,
NORTH and SOUTH
THE OLD and NEW WORLDS and THE THIRD WORLD
It is A WALL of FEAR and GREED

There is enough of everything in THE WORLD for us all to have enough to eat, to be warm and dry and to have a colour TV and a car. WE are taught to FEAR that if WE share what WE have with THEM, WE won’t have anything left for US.

WE also FEAR that THEY may try to take what WE have away from US, so WE spend WAY more than THEY would need to feed, house, clothe, and EDUCATE THEMSELVES, on weapons to prevent THEM from taking what WE have away from US.

There is another WALL between US and the reality of OUR lives.

This WALL is called the THE MEDIA. This WALL is a tool that is used to divert US from inconvenient truths.

Perhaps I should stop now, before I alienate anybody.

Why am I doing the Wall again now?

I recently came across this quote of mine from 22 years ago:

” What it comes down to for me is this: Will the technologies of communication in our culture, serve to enlighten us and help us to understand one another better, or will they deceive us and keep us apart?”

I believe this is still a supremely relevant question and the jury is out. There is a lot of commercial clutter on the net, and a lot of propaganda, but I have a sense that just beneath the surface understanding is gaining ground.  We just have to keep blogging, keep twittering, keep communicating, keep sharing ideas.

30 Years ago when I wrote The Wall I was a frightened young man. Well not that young, I was 36 years old.
It took me a long time to get over my fears. Anyway, in the intervening years it has occurred to me that maybe the story of my fear and loss with it’s concomitant inevitable residue of ridicule, shame and punishment, provides an allegory for broader concerns.: Nationalism, racism, sexism, religion, Whatever!  All these issues and ‘isms are driven by the same fears that drove my young life.

This new production of The Wall is an attempt to draw some comparisons, to illuminate our current predicament, and is dedicated to all the innocent lost in the intervening years.

In some quarters, among the chattering classes, there exists a cynical view that human beings as a collective are incapable of developing more ‘humane’ ie, kinder, more generous, more cooperative, more empathetic relationships with one another.

I disagree.

In my view it is too early in our story to leap to such a conclusion, we are after all a very young species.
I believe we have at least a chance to aspire to something better than the dog eat dog ritual slaughter that is our current response to our institutionalized fear of each other.

I feel it is my responsibility as an artist to express my, albeit guarded, optimism, and encourage others to do the same. To quote the great man, ” You may say that I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.”

- Roger Waters, 2010

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 12:22:23 PM »
Wow, too cool.  I saw one of his The Wall tours back in the late 80's.  Absolutely love it.   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
Wish it were here.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 01:02:21 PM »
Wish it were here.

:neverusethis:

Two dates in Philly? Count me in :metal

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 01:07:45 PM »
COME TO EUROPE!!!!!
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 01:09:21 PM »
Supposedly, tickets are gonna range anywhere from 55 to around 250 dollars. :eek :eek :eek

Not sure I want to shell out that much money for this, all things considered.  On the other hand, I have never seen Roger Waters and The Wall is one of my all-time favorite albums (and a hugely important album in my development as a music fan), but on the other hand, Waters is older than dirt, his voice is shot, that is a lot of money for a concert, and David Gilmour and his guitar won't be there.  I guess I'll wait and see, and pray that ticket prices are not as obnoxiously high as they rumored to be.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 03:37:23 PM »
Supposedly, tickets are gonna range anywhere from 55 to around 250 dollars. :eek :eek :eek

Not sure I want to shell out that much money for this, all things considered.  On the other hand, I have never seen Roger Waters and The Wall is one of my all-time favorite albums (and a hugely important album in my development as a music fan), but on the other hand, Waters is older than dirt, his voice is shot, that is a lot of money for a concert, and David Gilmour and his guitar won't be there.  I guess I'll wait and see, and pray that ticket prices are not as obnoxiously high as they rumored to be.

Ack, for that kind of loot, and the sh*tty venue I know will be played, forget it. Sucks. I'd shell it out if it were a Pink Floyd reunion, but not for just Roger Waters.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 03:39:16 PM »

I saw Roger when he did the DSOTM tour.... trust me man, its so worth it. Waters sounds excellent, and hes surrounded himself with great musicians.

I'll definitely be hitting this up, probably the Hartford show.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 09:26:53 PM »
I'll wait for the DVD.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 09:28:09 PM »
Gonna head to one of the Philly shows!!! Hell yeah!

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 10:44:40 PM »
If this tour comes to South America, count me in. There's no way I'll miss my favourite Pink Floyd album performed by its creator.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 01:53:49 AM »
Shame the man isn't writing and recording any new material...

Seriously, Roger is one of my all-time favourite composers, and it's such a disapointment to see him touring 30-year old songs all the time.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 03:55:20 AM »
I watched the Classic Albums DVD on The Dark Side Of The Moon last night. Man, Roger is really a legitimate being, so goes with the rest of the band.

I'd go if I was around there, but living in Australia only limits you to about 8-10 gigs per year...

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 08:17:53 AM »
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. 

I'm so there.

Offline LTE

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 09:37:04 AM »
My dad found out last night and stormed up into my room.

"WE ARE GOING!"

He's a huge Pink Floyd fan
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 09:51:07 AM »
I saw Roger when he did the DSOTM tour.... trust me man, its so worth it. Waters sounds excellent, and hes surrounded himself with great musicians.

Sorry, not buying the "Waters sounds excellent" part.  He hasn't sounded that good in a long time, and I doubt he is suddenly gonna get his voice back at the ripe old age of 66.  But I have no doubt that he will surround himself with good musicians, and the show will be well put together.  I just ain't gonna get raped on the prices, so we'll see.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 10:03:41 AM »

Sorry, not buying the "Waters sounds excellent" part.  He hasn't sounded that good in a long time, and I doubt he is suddenly gonna get his voice back at the ripe old age of 66.  But I have no doubt that he will surround himself with good musicians, and the show will be well put together.  I just ain't gonna get raped on the prices, so we'll see.

I don't remember how his higher register was... and thats a good point since its much more prominent on the Wall than it is on DSOTM.

I can send you a bootleg of the 2006 tour if you want, and you can judge for yourself.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 10:24:49 AM »

You're right... it's more the latter.  He knows his limits, and he sings the stuff he can still sing well, but has others handle the stuff that he can't do. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 11:10:39 AM »
Truth be told, he sings very little.  However, the sound you'll hear at the show will be flawless. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 04:54:41 PM »
Waters is probably the only person I’d give a pass to on the pre-recorded vocals. He seems to surround himself with quality musicians and isn’t too selfish to share the spotlight on stage. And I’ve never read anything bad about the overall musical performance. Somewhere there is a line between artistic integrity, and quality of live performance. I think Roger toes the line nicely.

Plus, like KevShmev, The Wall is a landmark album in my personal musical journey.  I never, for a second, believed I’d get a chance to see the band play it live. And of course I won’t, but am willing to take the next best thing. I remember passing on Waters’ DSotM tour because it just didn’t feel right, him going on a DSotM tour. But since The Wall is more his baby, it’s more reasonable to imagine seeing him and his band perform the album.

I’ll be curious to see what ticket prices shake out as, but think I’ll be willing to shed some coin for this show.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »

I don't remember how his higher register was... and thats a good point since its much more prominent on the Wall than it is on DSOTM.

I can send you a bootleg of the 2006 tour if you want, and you can judge for yourself.

I can vouch for all of this, I saw that tour, and he was magnificent. 
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 09:00:15 PM »

No need.  I caught some of it on youtube back when the tour was taking place and remember his vocals not sounding good, and also I remember how horrid he sounded at Live 8.  And I have read in several places about how the hardest songs to sing on that last tour were lip-synched ("Sheep," "Have a Cigar," etc.).  If he sounded good at the show you saw, cool, but I would bet money you weren't hearing his naked voice on any vocal part that was anything more than the spoken word style he often employs (much of which is used on The Wall, which should benefit him on this upcoming tour).

I’ll be curious to see what ticket prices shake out as, but think I’ll be willing to shed some coin for this show.

If I can get good seats that aren't too far back for around 100 bucks and some change, I would be fine with that.  $200 plus, though, is just way too much.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2010, 09:25:52 PM »

No need.  I caught some of it on youtube back when the tour was taking place and remember his vocals not sounding good, and also I remember how horrid he sounded at Live 8.  And I have read in several places about how the hardest songs to sing on that last tour were lip-synched ("Sheep," "Have a Cigar," etc.).  If he sounded good at the show you saw, cool, but I would bet money you weren't hearing his naked voice on any vocal part that was anything more than the spoken word style he often employs (much of which is used on The Wall, which should benefit him on this upcoming tour).

To be honest, I dont think his vocals are even that hard, so I'd be surprised if he lip synched as much as you think.

Plus, if his vocals didnt sound good.... he wouldnt be lip-synching would he?

Has been awhile since i listened to any of those boots.... might have to do that tomorrow!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2010, 10:33:45 PM »
Waters is probably the only person I’d give a pass to on the pre-recorded vocals. He seems to surround himself with quality musicians and isn’t too selfish to share the spotlight on stage. And I’ve never read anything bad about the overall musical performance. Somewhere there is a line between artistic integrity, and quality of live performance. I think Roger toes the line nicely.

Plus, like KevShmev, The Wall is a landmark album in my personal musical journey.  I never, for a second, believed I’d get a chance to see the band play it live. And of course I won’t, but am willing to take the next best thing. I remember passing on Waters’ DSotM tour because it just didn’t feel right, him going on a DSotM tour. But since The Wall is more his baby, it’s more reasonable to imagine seeing him and his band perform the album.

I'm inclined to agree.  I saw the last tour a couple of times, and will definitely see him again.  This is an instance where I'd rather hear his canned vocals than him butchering the songs.  Plus, Jon Carin and whatever stunt guitarist he has along will sing half the songs anyway.  I don't really look at it as a concert though.  More of a presentation. 

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 10:47:47 PM »
About the lip synching thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88bfpC1EfMo

4:46 :(

Not sure if this is legal. Mods please take it down if it isn't. Or someone tell me otherwise.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 02:31:14 AM »
Oh man, I'd love to see some Floyd live. Either Roger Waters or David Gilmour, I don't care.
The show will rock, the songs are great, and my dad will explode when he hears this  :tup
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 08:52:44 AM »
To be honest, I dont think his vocals are even that hard, so I'd be surprised if he lip synched as much as you think.

Plus, if his vocals didnt sound good.... he wouldnt be lip-synching would he?

Has been awhile since i listened to any of those boots.... might have to do that tomorrow!

My assumption would be that the vocals that sounded good were lip-synched, and the ones that didn't sound good were sang live. :p :biggrin: :lol

Plus, Jon Carin and whatever stunt guitarist he has along will sing half the songs anyway.  I don't really look at it as a concert though.  More of a presentation. 

Very true.  And hell yeah to Jon Carin.  That guy absolutely nails the Floyd keyboard parts, and not just the notes...he plays them so the vibe is very Floydish.  And he has a good voice, too, so I would have no problem with him doing some lead singing.  He did a good job on the first half of "Dogs" on the late 90s tour.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 01:05:42 PM »
Listening to Live8's "Wish you were here", you simply can't tell me that Roger Waters has "on-days" anymore. So yeah, whatever you hear live as great vocals will have been lip-synched.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2010, 02:33:02 PM »
I am a bit surprised at all the love the DSotM tour is receiving. I personally found the one show I saw from that tour to be stale, somewhat boring and predictable compared to the brilliant In The Flesh Tour 1999-2000 (which I saw twice). Additionally, I saw small but noticable amount of people simply walk out after hearing "Leaving Beruit." Not having Doyle Bramhall on guitar really weakened the performance as well, as the guy who took his place was not nearly as good as Doyle was.

One of the things that made the ITF tour solid was the exposure that Waters' solo material received. It was a huge disappointment that he shevled it in favor of the overplayed DSotM. I would love to see a Waters tour where NO Floyd material is played.

As for the upcoming performances of The Wall, as long is it is not cost prohibitive, I am all for it. I think The Wall is hands down the best concept album of all time and I am curious to see how it is stages compared to what was done in 1979-1980. Hopefully his band will be that of the 1999-2000 tour. I think there is real potential for this to be a fantastic presentation and I very much look forward to seeing it...

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 03:23:57 PM »
I'll hopefully be going to the Madison Square Garden, Izod, or Hartford show.