Author Topic: Post-Rock  (Read 69978 times)

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Re: Post-Rock
« Reply #490 on: March 21, 2017, 06:28:44 PM »
Sigur ros -() seems to be removed from Spotify anyone know why?  :omg:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:51:36 AM by home »
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #491 on: March 22, 2017, 06:35:07 AM »
This post-rock band is flying high in my country! Check them they are awesome and released their first album this month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhhrmsgY9MM

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: March 22, 2017, 08:18:08 AM »

Weird. I just had them pop up on my Spotify discovery last week.

Offline home

« Reply #493 on: March 22, 2017, 10:06:49 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQtDr7TRoOA&feature=youtu.be
Sólstafir just released a new track  :D

Weird. I just had them pop up on my Spotify discovery last week.
It seems to be their only album that's been removed....

Offline romdrums

« Reply #494 on: June 08, 2017, 12:10:58 PM »
Bump.

I purchased the new sleepmakeswaves record last week, and so far I can't stop listening to it.  I'm totally blown away by everything about the record.  I love the dynamics and the range these guys seem to have.  Already purchased their previous two records and I'm starting to think this is the year I finally take the post rock plunge.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: June 08, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »
I've never heard of them but I will give them a shot.

Online BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #496 on: September 25, 2017, 11:36:17 AM »
So, seeing Sigur Rós in two weeks from now. Anyone else saw them live? Are they any good?  :coolio

Offline home

« Reply #497 on: September 25, 2017, 12:12:10 PM »
Seeing them in one and a half week  ;D

Offline Skeever

« Reply #498 on: September 25, 2017, 01:42:11 PM »
So, seeing Sigur Rós in two weeks from now. Anyone else saw them live? Are they any good?  :coolio

They're amazing

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: September 25, 2017, 08:22:26 PM »

I've never seen them but I've heard noting but great things.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #500 on: September 25, 2017, 08:36:51 PM »

Saw them earlier this year. Probably the best concert I've ever seen.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #501 on: September 27, 2017, 08:58:02 PM »
New single from And So I Watch You From Afar: https://asiwyfa.bandcamp.com/
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #502 on: September 28, 2017, 03:35:56 PM »

Definitely looking forward to this one. Still haven't checked out some of their other albums but I'm getting around to it  :metal

Offline dparrott

« Reply #503 on: September 28, 2017, 08:08:38 PM »

Definitely looking forward to this one. Still haven't checked out some of their other albums but I'm getting around to it  :metal

The last two are good but vocals are creeping into the songs.  And Heirs has killer artwork!

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #504 on: September 28, 2017, 08:20:27 PM »
What do you guys think of Godspeed You! Black Emperor's latest? I think it's great! The two 14 minute songs are awesome! but then again I'm not that familiar with post-rock, so maybe it's nothing special and I'm just clueless.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: September 28, 2017, 08:28:55 PM »

First time hearing this and it's awesome

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #506 on: September 29, 2017, 10:06:25 PM »
Heard the new Red Sparrowes and Godpseed and was underwhelmed by them both but I think I need a few more listens.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #507 on: September 29, 2017, 10:33:48 PM »
How does the new Red Sparowes compare to The Fear Is Excruciating...? I love, love, love that album, particularly the pieces 'A Swarm' and 'As Each End Looms and Subsides.' I love the new GY!BE too.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #508 on: September 30, 2017, 08:52:23 AM »

They are outstanding, live.

Assuming they still play Untitled 8 from ( ), be prepared to have your mind absolutely blown.

What do you guys think of Godspeed You! Black Emperor's latest? I think it's great! The two 14 minute songs are awesome! but then again I'm not that familiar with post-rock, so maybe it's nothing special and I'm just clueless.

I didn't even realized GY!BE had a new one out.  I went through a pretty big post rock phase in the mid to late 00s, but rarely listen to it anymore.  I'll have to check this out.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #509 on: September 30, 2017, 09:00:39 AM »
new Godspeed is a lot better than I expected. It might be their 2nd best album.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #510 on: September 30, 2017, 09:19:58 AM »
sigur Ros best song is "ara batur" 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VvB_UmmIzk

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #511 on: September 30, 2017, 03:11:24 PM »
How does the new Red Sparowes compare to The Fear Is Excruciating...? I love, love, love that album, particularly the pieces 'A Swarm' and 'As Each End Looms and Subsides.' I love the new GY!BE too.

Honestly this is my second Sparowes album next to Every Red Heart so I'm not completely versed in them. That album had more standouts whereas this one sort of mutely meanders.

Offline home

« Reply #512 on: October 02, 2017, 12:20:30 PM »

Offline dparrott

« Reply #513 on: November 07, 2017, 12:30:41 AM »
This new ASIWYFA is their best yet I think!  They've added some more mellow parts this time, even a string section!  A nice change from being blasted with guitars and drums.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #514 on: November 07, 2017, 04:07:38 PM »
This new ASIWYFA is their best yet I think!  They've added some more mellow parts this time, even a string section!  A nice change from being blasted with guitars and drums.

I've only given the new album one spin so far (might give it #2 tonight) but I liked it a fair bit. The only other album I've heard is their debut, need to get around to the others. They're also playing near me soon and I'd like to go see them!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #515 on: January 25, 2018, 10:36:23 AM »
Okay, don't see a thread for God Is An Astronaut, so I guess it'll go here:

God Is An Astronaut Unveil First & Exciting Album News! "Epitaph" To Be Released On April 27th!
Pre-order your copy here: https://smarturl.it/Epitaph-NPR

Ever since forming 16 years ago, Irish trio God Is An Astronaut has reigned as one of the premier instrumental groups. With their fusion of intense rock instrumentation, ethereal and emotional soundscapes, awe-inspiring dynamics and transfixing melodies, each of the band's prior releases has offered a breath taking sonic journey. Now God Is An Astronaut are finally back with their ninth emotive opus titled 'Epitaph' , set to be released on April 27th 2018 with NapalmRecords! God Is An Astronaut's hotly anticpated album - covered in pain, sadness and melancholic beauty - both sees a progression in their sound while still remaining true to their ethos that helped define the band.

The cover artwork was painted by French artist Fursy and fits the melancholic mood beautifully.

The track list of 'Epitaph' will read as follows:
1. Epitaph
2. Mortal Coil
3. Winter Dusk/Awakening
4. Seance Room
5. Komorebi
6. Medea
7. Oisín

Fans may expect a continuation of 2015's 'Helios | Erebus' but a change in direction was unavoidable when real-life tragedies occurred involving people close to the band. Niels and Torsten Kinsella, twin brothers and co-founders of God Is An Astronaut, are joined again here by long-time drummer Lloyd Hanney. Amongst others, contributions also come from Jamie Dean on keys, Xenon Field on sound design, Jimmy Scanlon once again lends his talents on guitar and Brian Harris performs slide guitar on the song 'Mortal Coil'.
This album, with its stylish and rich musical textures has in its building blocks references to the past, as with a lot of the band’s work. When present experiences are pulled in to the mix you get something that will last well into the future, armed with music like this you are strengthened for that journey. 'Epitaph' is an album that will move you deeply and call out to you to be revisited many times!

New album drops 27th of April, out of nowhere! :metal :metal Continuation of Helios sounds good, as that's one of my favourite albums by them.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline home

« Reply #516 on: January 25, 2018, 11:01:40 AM »
Woooooo  :metal

Completely did not expect this!  ;D

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: January 26, 2018, 05:15:04 AM »
Neat! I'll have to check it out. I became less and less interest in GiaA as time went on but I'm up for giving the new album a shot.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #518 on: January 26, 2018, 07:24:28 AM »
Ahhh hell yes! Can't wait to get this!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #519 on: January 28, 2018, 09:19:46 AM »
I'll definitely check out a new GIAA record, although if my memory serves me correct, their last couple of albums didn't stand out all that much for me. But their early records I still enjoy.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #520 on: January 29, 2018, 12:15:52 PM »
Since discovering the sleepmakeswaves record last year I've been on a huge post-rock kick. Outside of Long Distance Calling's Avoid the Light, which I really dug, I've tried to get into bands like Sigur Ros and Explosions in the Sky in the past, but nothing ever really grabbed me until I heard Made of Breath Only.  That record totally opened the floodgates for me, and I've since gone on to get almost all of their back catalog, plus getting into bands like pg. lost, Mogwai, maybeshewill, God is An Astronaut, Caspian, And So I Watch You From Afar, Russian Circles, Audrey Fall, Collaspe Under the Empire, If These Trees Could Talk, Soup, and We Lost the Sea.  I'm digging this stuff a lot, but one of the things I find interesting about post-rock is that there seems to be some elitism and backlash amongst the fans of this genre.  There seems to be a rather vocal segment of post-rock fans that call a lot of new stuff incredibly derivative and worthless.  Maybe it's because I haven't really listened to Godspeed and Tortoise yet, but I find it interesting, and it has kind of put me off on checking out Godspeed, Silver Mt. Zion, and some other bands.  This thread is the opposite of that, which is cool, but has anyone else heard these criticisms, or should I just take rym reviews with a few heaping grains of salt?
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #521 on: January 29, 2018, 01:23:57 PM »
It's mostly due to a lot of modern post-rock bands following on what Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky did and adding little to the mix, while what's known as the first and second "wave" acts of the genre like Tortoise, Godspeed, Bark Psychosis, even Swans and others, came from very varied backgrounds and were hesitant to be labeled as "post-rock", since their music was just very experimental and barely had similarities with each other. Doesn't mean the new stuff is bad at all (I personally don't like it much), it's just different in many ways so I understand both sides.

I'd say you should take your time with some of the older stuff anyways, it's a bit different but very rewarding imo. Try Sigur Ròs (go with ()) and Godspeed (Lift your Skinny Fists...) as they're pretty accessible. Bark Psychosis (Hex) and Talk Talk (Spirit of Eden) are great for getting into more ambient and challenging stuff while still being approachable. Modern Swans (The Seer and To Be Kind) too if you prefer the more aggressive side of your post-rock. Then delve into Slint (Spiderland), Disco Inferno (D. I. Go Pop), Tortoise (Millions Now Living Will Never Die), older Swans (Soundtracks for the Blind), and more.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #522 on: March 01, 2018, 09:14:32 AM »
The new God is an Astronaut track just got released. Very dark stuff, can't really pinpoint one of their albums that this sounds very similar to, seems like it is going into a darker direction than ever before and I dig it. Given the description on the FB post I quoted above, I guess it makes sense.

HYPE

P.S. Just found out the youtube version cuts out part of one of the quieter sections in the middle, so for the full version go to Spotify if you can
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #523 on: March 01, 2018, 09:49:26 AM »
The first and second wave of Post-Rock tend to be the most praised because back then the bands really broke new ground. Bands like GY!BE, Sigur Rós, Mogwai (even earlier bands like Slint) really did something unique and fresh and also put out stellar albums. More modern Post-Rock isn't necessarily bad, to me it's just very "safe" a lot of the time. Mogwai is a good example because even though their last few albums most of em have some great songs, the majority is just "decent background music".

There's still a lot of good post-rock, but few albums that grab me the way classic Godspeed or Sigur Rós does for example.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: March 02, 2018, 05:04:43 AM »
I'll have to give it a listen to the new track at work.