Author Topic: Post-Rock  (Read 69805 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Post-Rock
« Reply #420 on: September 03, 2014, 03:13:23 PM »
Holy shit. Loving those album covers.

I agree. When it comes to Mono I thought the last album was kinda meh, but reading the write-ups, I'm very excited for this.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #421 on: September 03, 2014, 07:34:29 PM »
I wonder if they can top "you are there" and "Hymn..."

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #422 on: September 03, 2014, 08:47:54 PM »
I am excite.

This black and white approach I can dig.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #423 on: September 03, 2014, 09:44:46 PM »
A little more info for you guys

TRACK LISTING
The last Dawn
1. The Land Between Tides / Glory
2. Kanata
3. Cyclone
4. Elysian Castles
5. Where We Begin
6. The Last Dawn

Rays of Darkness

1. Recoil, Ignite
2. Surrender
3. The Hand That Holds The Truth
4. The Last Rays

As you can see Kanata is on disc1, so we know 2 songs of that one already.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #424 on: September 16, 2014, 01:22:43 PM »
This is even better than the first one  :metal
https://soundcloud.com/monoofjapan/recoil-ignite-excerpt

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #425 on: September 16, 2014, 01:43:47 PM »
I just discovered Hammock - Departure Songs.

Oh my god... its so beautiful.

Offline adace

« Reply #426 on: September 16, 2014, 02:30:24 PM »
I just discovered Hammock - Departure Songs.

Oh my god... its so beautiful.
:tup

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #427 on: September 16, 2014, 02:55:40 PM »
First time I hear for this band and I LOVE it :D any recommended albums? Also, some bands for total noob in post-rock? Iknow only ( ) by Sigur Ros and I like Russian Circles (post-metal).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #428 on: September 16, 2014, 03:04:19 PM »
First time I hear for this band and I LOVE it :D any recommended albums? Also, some bands for total noob in post-rock? Iknow only ( ) by Sigur Ros and I like Russian Circles (post-metal).

If you're looking at Mono, I'd say Hymn to the Immortal Wind is a pretty safe bet. A fantastic, emotional, beautiful album all the way through.

The thing about post-rock is that bands won't always sound similar at all, though they'll still be labeled as "post-rock". For example, Talk Talk's Laughing Stock and Slint's Spiderland sound virtually nothing like each other, yet they're both credited as pioneering the genre. It really all depends on what you're looking for, but for starters, I'd recommend:

Slint - Spiderland
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F♯ A♯ ∞ and Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun (since you mentioned ( ) )
Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die

With all that said, I don't consider myself a guru in post-rock by any means. Someone like Zantera is probably better suited to answer your question, but there ya go. :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #429 on: September 16, 2014, 03:17:01 PM »
I remember listening Godspeed You! Black Emperor few years ago. It's cool but I felt like I need to listen to it for million times to actually know song. Also, I like what Neige is doing in his bands, post-rock mixed with black metal.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline krands85

« Reply #430 on: September 16, 2014, 04:51:11 PM »
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #431 on: September 16, 2014, 05:24:49 PM »
Maybe it leans more toward "post-metal", but I've been on an Isis since this spring. Also listened to a few Pelican and Russian Circles albums also which I really loved. Any other post-rock/metal bands that I should be on the lookout for?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #432 on: September 16, 2014, 05:38:34 PM »
Maybe it leans more toward "post-metal", but I've been on an Isis since this spring. Also listened to a few Pelican and Russian Circles albums also which I really loved. Any other post-rock/metal bands that I should be on the lookout for?

The top3 kings of Post-Metal to me are:

Neurosis - Isis - Cult of Luna

Neurosis is my favorite out of the three, and I would also say the most versatile. They have blended various influences on their albums, so you get everything from Pink Floyd on Metal to pure light Post-Rock, and Folk-Rock inspired metal. They're amazing, and have one of the best album runs out of any bands I know.

You already mentioned Isis so I take it you are familiar with their albums. Personally I think Panopticon and Oceanic are just masterpieces, even if the other three aren't on the same level, they're still dope.

Cult of Luna is the hidden gem of the three. Best metal band from Sweden IMO, they also have some really amazing albums. Salvation being my favorite, Somewhere Along the Highway being on the same level. Add other amazing albums like The Beyond, Eternal Kingdom and the most recent Vertikal, and you got a strong discography.

Offline adace

« Reply #433 on: September 16, 2014, 06:08:18 PM »
If These Trees Could Talk are one of the most underrated post-rock bands out there. Definitely give them a try.

Hammock are also incredible, some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #434 on: September 16, 2014, 06:22:42 PM »
I remember listening Godspeed You! Black Emperor few years ago. It's cool but I felt like I need to listen to it for million times to actually know song. Also, I like what Neige is doing in his bands, post-rock mixed with black metal.
As someone said before, Hymn to the inmortal wind is a safe bet, specially if you like sigur ros, because the emotions and also they do the orchestral thingy with their music, too.
But if you like the more raw saund you can also try "You are There".
You might enjoy God is an astronaut aswell. Try All is violent, All is bright. Suicide by star is a clinic in how to post rock  :lol

Offline krands85

« Reply #435 on: September 16, 2014, 06:29:02 PM »
If These Trees Could Talk are one of the most underrated post-rock bands out there. Definitely give them a try.
Seconded  :tup

Long Distance Calling are great too - lots of great riffage, but a lot of nice atmosphere to their songs - especially on the first 3 albums. Their latest album was a little different, since about half the songs have vocals (as opposed to their previous albums which had 1 song per album with a guest vocalist), but I really liked it. They were great live too. 
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Xenon

« Reply #436 on: September 16, 2014, 06:36:34 PM »
Seconded  :tup

Long Distance Calling are great too - lots of great riffage, but a lot of nice atmosphere to their songs - especially on the first 3 albums. Their latest album was a little different, since about half the songs have vocals (as opposed to their previous albums which had 1 song per album with a guest vocalist), but I really liked it. They were great live too.
How could i forget about Long Distance Calling. Post Rock for metalheads  :metal
Avoid the light is a must.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #437 on: September 16, 2014, 06:39:48 PM »

The top3 kings of Post-Metal to me are:

Neurosis - Isis - Cult of Luna

Neurosis is my favorite out of the three, and I would also say the most versatile. They have blended various influences on their albums, so you get everything from Pink Floyd on Metal to pure light Post-Rock, and Folk-Rock inspired metal. They're amazing, and have one of the best album runs out of any bands I know.

You already mentioned Isis so I take it you are familiar with their albums. Personally I think Panopticon and Oceanic are just masterpieces, even if the other three aren't on the same level, they're still dope.

Cult of Luna is the hidden gem of the three. Best metal band from Sweden IMO, they also have some really amazing albums. Salvation being my favorite, Somewhere Along the Highway being on the same level. Add other amazing albums like The Beyond, Eternal Kingdom and the most recent Vertikal, and you got a strong discography.

I've listened to three Neurosis albums; Enemy Of The Sun, Through Silver In Blood and A Sun That Never Sets. Loved all of them, but definitely want to listen to more of their albums. Thinking of giving Given To The Rising a spin next.

I've heard almost every studio Isis release (Celestial-Wavering Radiant and also Mosquito Control, The Red Sea, Sawblade, SGNL>05 and their split EP with the Melvins). I agree with Oceanic and Panopticon being two of their masterpieces (Panopticon being my all time favorite) but I'd also throw Wavering Radiant in my top three Isis albums. I thought Celestial and In The Absence Of Truth were amazing even if they weren't on the same level. Garden Of Light is possibly my favorite Isis song outside of the songs on Oceanic, Panopticon and Wavering Radiant. Out of the three band on your Big 3 of Post-Metal, Isis is currently my favorite.

Cult Of Luna's a tricky one. I saw them when they co-headlined with Katatonia during their last US Tour and they came on right after Intronaut and TesseracT who were more energetic sounding. I never listened to them prior seeing them, and while I dug the vibe and mood COL set, coming from an act like TesseracT who the crowd absolutely loved, the crowd reception to them was unanimously indifferent/negative and half the crowd left during their set and maybe I didn't quite "get" the band at the time (this was before I began listening to the bulk of the post-metal bands I know of). Also, the venue didn't have the best sound so I couldn't tell when one of their songs were ending and a new one was beginning. Since then, I listened to Vertikal and Salvation and I really liked both, particularly Salvation. I dunno, maybe I need to give Cult Of Luna more listens.

Offline krands85

« Reply #438 on: September 16, 2014, 07:11:57 PM »
Isis were so awesome, such a shame they split up. In the Absence of Truth has always been my favourite of theirs though, I absolutely love that album - brilliant right the way through, but Wrists of Kings, Dulcinea, Holy Tears and Garden of Light are incredible :coolio

I just listened to that band 'Toria' that Soundscape posted a link to a few months ago in this thread and it was cool, really good fun  :D :metal

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #439 on: September 16, 2014, 09:59:25 PM »
I think Isis came close to having a perfect discography. Not a single weak studio effort. I know that the band have since been openly critical of In The Absence Of Truth (and to some extent Aaron Turner has been critical of post-Panopticon Isis) but I think that the band ended at the right time of their careers if that even makes sense. It's disheartening to know that I'll never see them live (wouldn't matter anyway since I only discovered them this year) but for who have, it must've been a once in a lifetime experience. 

The last half of Garden Of Light is possibly one of the most climatic moments in the band's history. I could play that part over again in a loop and not get tired of it.  :metal

Offline Xenon

« Reply #440 on: September 25, 2014, 12:50:04 PM »
As a fan of Mono and Anime, this gave me a boner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s11DRPtqJpw

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #441 on: September 26, 2014, 05:34:45 PM »

I must say that was awesome sounding considering it's the first time I've heard of Mono (and I like my share of anime as well!) :tup
Any recommendation on which album to start off with?

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #442 on: September 26, 2014, 05:40:41 PM »

I just listened to the title track off of their most recent album. Really awesome stuff!  :metal

Offline Xenon

« Reply #443 on: September 27, 2014, 10:42:57 AM »

I must say that was awesome sounding considering it's the first time I've heard of Mono (and I like my share of anime as well!) :tup
I would say you should try with "Hymn to the Inmortal Wind" for a bright but melancholic album or "You are there" for a more dark sounding mono.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #444 on: September 27, 2014, 04:44:39 PM »

I would say you should try with "Hymn to the Inmortal Wind" for a bright but melancholic album or "You are there" for a more dark sounding mono.

Yes both of those are great. If you like even darker music, try Palmless Prayer/Mass Murder Refrain, which is a collaboration of Mono and World End's Girlfriend (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmless_Prayer/Mass_Murder_Refrain)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #445 on: October 06, 2014, 01:24:58 PM »
I just listened to The Last Dawn and I love it. It is the same, classic Mono, but I can hear lots of new things and they took some risks. The single "where we begin" might be the weakest song in the album imo, so that's a good sign.
The opener it's amazing.

Offline adace

« Reply #446 on: October 07, 2014, 01:13:15 PM »
I like The Last Dawn a lot, even if it doesn't quite match the last album. Katana and Elysian Castles are superb tracks.

Really excited to hear Rays of Darkness.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #447 on: October 09, 2014, 07:58:14 AM »
It is pretty cool.
I can't wait for the other half.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #448 on: October 14, 2014, 04:35:07 PM »
I'm in love with both Mono's albums. Lots of unexpected things going on.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #449 on: October 14, 2014, 05:00:38 PM »
Gaaaah Jakob are doing an album release tour with Spook the Horses this thursday.

2 of my best Post Rockers.

Check out Spook the Horses here, its very cool shit https://spookthehorses.bandcamp.com/album/brighter

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #450 on: October 15, 2014, 10:04:21 AM »
Oh damn Hammock's Departure Songs is damn beautiful. Not like typical post rock with lots of crescendos - just calm, gorgeous music.

Offline krands85

« Reply #451 on: October 15, 2014, 10:25:44 AM »
Well Mono's 'Rays of Darkness' is extremely disappointing :( Not what I expected at all. Recoil, Ignite is awesome, but the rest not so much. Second track isn't dark or heavy at all to me and the final song is just drone/feedback stuff  :'(

Offline adace

« Reply #452 on: October 15, 2014, 01:25:14 PM »
Well Mono's 'Rays of Darkness' is extremely disappointing :( Not what I expected at all. Recoil, Ignite is awesome, but the rest not so much. Second track isn't dark or heavy at all to me and the final song is just drone/feedback stuff  :'(
Agreed. It's easily the worst thing they've put out. And The Last Dawn isn't that impressive either.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #453 on: October 16, 2014, 01:14:44 AM »
Oh damn Hammock's Departure Songs is damn beautiful. Not like typical post rock with lots of crescendos - just calm, gorgeous music.

Dude, totally, I only recently stumbled upon this via YouTube suggested vids.  So freaking good!!!!

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #454 on: November 03, 2014, 08:12:07 PM »
I just listened to The Last Dawn and I love it. It is the same, classic Mono, but I can hear lots of new things and they took some risks. The single "where we begin" might be the weakest song in the album imo, so that's a good sign.
The opener it's amazing.

I bought The Last Of Dawn today at my local record store as they didn't have any of their other albums besides that and Rays of Darkness. How does it compare to their "best" album?