Author Topic: Post-Rock  (Read 69804 times)

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Post-Rock
« on: April 09, 2010, 03:53:06 PM »
I have been listening to a lot of post rock lately. Can anybody recommend some new bands for me?

Band I already listen to and can encourage anyone to check out:
Sigur Rós, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, God is An Astronaut, This Will Destroy You, A Silver mt. Zion, Kyte, Explosions in the Sky.

I have also listened to 65daysofstatic but didn't find that to be that interesting.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Post-Rock
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 04:20:03 PM »
Agalloch.
Ashes Against the Grain and The Mantle are 2 of the best albums ever made.

Their genre is a combination of:
Post-Rock
Neo-Folk
Black Metal
Doom Metal

with more

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 04:22:46 PM »
Agalloch.
Ashes Against the Grain and The Mantle are 2 of the best albums ever made.

Their genre is a combination of:
Post-Rock
Neo-Folk
Black Metal
Doom Metal

with more
Already have those 2 albums, haven't really listened to them yet. I'll be sure to do it sometime soon  :tup.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 04:24:07 PM »
Natural Snow Buildings - The Dance Of The Moon And The Sun

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 04:26:13 PM »
Natural Snow Buildings - The Dance Of The Moon And The Sun
Just read some about it via google, sounds interesting. Putting it on my to-get list.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 04:27:11 PM »
Already have those 2 albums, haven't really listened to them yet. I'll be sure to do it sometime soon  :tup.

Then you're in it for a real treat, that i can tell you.
Personally, i don't think there's an album that has affected me as much as Ashes Against the Grain.
It's just THE best album ever, and no matter what band tries to top that, it will be impossible.
All of the songs are just 10/10, and together they form ~60 minutes of perfection. ;)
I can sound like a fanboy all day, but this is the truth!
Portrucci will back me up on it. :)

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 04:29:18 PM »

Personally, i don't think there's an album that has affected me as much as Ashes Against the Grain.
It's just THE best album ever, and no matter what band tries to top that, it will be impossible.
All of the songs are just 10/10, and together they form ~60 minutes of perfection. ;)
I can stand Black/Death metal vocals, but I have to say it's not really my favorite type of vocals to listen to. I'll be sure to listen through the albums though, this isn't the first time I have seen them been praised.

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »
i've heard of this band called the fury abstract that does some post rock but i've never really heard it so...

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 08:40:15 PM »
i've heard of this band called the fury abstract that does some post rock but i've never really heard it so...

Wait a minute......
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 09:24:11 PM »
Mono and Tortoise are a different kind of post-rock IMO, they have a less polished sound than later bands IMO. You may want to check them out for something different.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 11:53:50 PM »
For others who were as  ??? as I was upon entering this thread:

Post-rock is a musical genre characterized by the use of instruments commonly associated with rock music, but using rhythms, harmonies, melodies, timbres, and chord progressions not traditionally found in rock. Post-rock musicians typically produce instrumental music.

Although firmly rooted in the indie or underground scene of the 1980s and '90s, post-rock's style often bears little resemblance musically to that of indie rock.

Don Caballero and Tortoise were among the more prominent bands described as post-rock in the 1990s, but their styles are very different, despite being instrumental bands centered on guitars and drums. As such, the term has been the subject of backlash from listeners and artists alike.

Wikipedia.

Having said that, I still have no idea what any of that means. Off to Grooveshark and YouTube for a bit...

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 12:35:13 AM »

Post-rock is a musical genre characterized by the use of instruments commonly associated with rock music, but using rhythms, harmonies, melodies, timbres, and chord progressions not traditionally found in rock. Post-rock musicians typically produce instrumental music.

Although firmly rooted in the indie or underground scene of the 1980s and '90s, post-rock's style often bears little resemblance musically to that of indie rock.

Don Caballero and Tortoise were among the more prominent bands described as post-rock in the 1990s, but their styles are very different, despite being instrumental bands centered on guitars and drums. As such, the term has been the subject of backlash from listeners and artists alike.

Wikipedia.

Having said that, I still have no idea what any of that means. Off to Grooveshark and YouTube for a bit...
I did the exact same thing.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 04:44:02 AM »
I have also listened to 65daysofstatic but didn't find that to be that interesting.

Massive  :tdwn x500

Also post-rock is one of my favourite genres and fave bands of the genre include:
Mogwai, 65daysofstatic, And So I Watch You From Afar, Sigur Ros, Russian Circles, Explosions In The Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Red Sparowes, MONO, God Is An Astronaut.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 05:21:39 AM »
Mono and Tortoise are a different kind of post-rock IMO, they have a less polished sound than later bands IMO. You may want to check them out for something different.

yeah! That's the first time I've seen someone other than me mention Mono here.

Seriously Vox, You Are There is one of the best albums ever made, and is up there together with ( ) in my post rock segment.
After that album, get Palmless Prayer/Mass Murder Refrain, by Mono and Worlds End Girlfriend.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 06:29:34 AM »

Wikipedia.

So it's rock music that.... experiments? How is it different from progressive rock then?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 06:31:33 AM »

Wikipedia.

So it's rock music that.... experiments? How is it different from progressive rock then?

It is very often instrumental and isn't flashy at all. The instruments are one whole, you won't find guitar solos in post-rock.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 06:36:24 AM »
So it experimental music that isn't really technical instrumentally? Alright then, thanks!
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 07:10:46 AM »

yeah! That's the first time I've seen someone other than me mention Mono here.

Seriously Vox, You Are There is one of the best albums ever made, and is up there together with ( ) in my post rock segment.
After that album, get Palmless Prayer/Mass Murder Refrain, by Mono and Worlds End Girlfriend.
I'll check it out.

I have 1 album by Mono, not sure which one it is. Only listened to it once though. I'll dig it up sometime soon.

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 08:37:08 AM »
Mogwai & Explosions in the Sky to me are both the best and my favorite postrock bands, although they differ greatly in sound from one another, they are both post rock  :lol
it's a versatile genre

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 09:16:21 AM »
Post-rock is pretty hit-or-miss for me.  I really dig Russian Circles and Mogwai, but Explosions in the Sky (except the first two songs on TEINACDP) and Gospeed don't do much for me.  Explosions just sounds too samey.  Sigur Ros is also amazing, but its difficult sometimes to be in the mood for it.  I also have some God Is An Astronaut and This Will Destroy You, though I haven't found time for TWDY yet.

EDIT: Almost forgot about Maudlin of the well...those guys are awesome too.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 10:30:48 AM »
(just going through my library.. Bold ones are the ones I know best)

The Album Leaf
The American Dollar
Because Of Ghosts
Canyonsofstatic
Caspian
Destroyalldreamers
Do Make Say Think
Ef

Efterklang
Eluvium
Gifts From Enola
Gregor Samsa
If These Trees Could Talk
Immanu El

Lis Er Stille
Maybeshewill
Mono
múm
Of Sinking ships
Pelican
pg.lost
Red Sparowes
Russian Circles
Saxon Shore
Sleepmakeswaves
Talk Talk
te'
This Is Your Captain Speaking
This Will Destroy You
Vessels
World's End Girlfriend
Yndi Halda

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 11:53:10 AM »
Some good shouts there, especially Ef, Maybeshewill, Vessels and Yndi Halda
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 01:28:24 PM »
Do Make Say Think  :heart

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 04:40:10 PM »
I'm a big post-rock fan. Here are my favorites:

Mogwai - Get the album Young Team, nothing but gems on this album
Do Make Say Think
From Monument To Masses - Check out the self titled debut album, also Schools Of Thought remix album is great and the Beyond God And Elvis EP is wonderful
God Is An Astronaut - Check out All Is Violent, All Is Bright and A Moment Of Stillness albums

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 05:58:36 PM »
snip
No Godspeed You! Black Emperor?

I'm a big post-rock fan. Here are my favorites:

Mogwai - Get the album Young Team, nothing but gems on this album
Do Make Say Think
From Monument To Masses - Check out the self titled debut album, also Schools Of Thought remix album is great and the Beyond God And Elvis EP is wonderful
God Is An Astronaut - Check out All Is Violent, All Is Bright and A Moment Of Stillness albums
I think I also have that Mogwai album somewhere. I'll relisten it as well. Already know most of God is an Astronaut and will check out the other bands.

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2010, 06:36:54 PM »
I'm gonna say Godspeed is awesome, Silver Mt. Zion is pretty okay, and add Murder By Death (but only their first album is post-rock-y, "Like The Exorcist But More Breakdancing", my first post-rock album, I love ittttt (if you check it out check out the last 3 songs (excluding the hidden track)))

also, my new song (yes shameless self-plug) "Supernovae" i finished a few minutes ago is pretty decent post rock if I say so myself (although extremely close to Explosions In The Sky in style) (maybe even too close)  - Linky

Also, I'm not exactly sure if It counts as post-rock but you guys might really like the band Fang Island, particularly the song "Daisy". Good stuff

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2010, 06:40:23 PM »
55:12 by Gregor Samsa is the greatest post-rock album ever. Beyond that, my interest in post-rock has severely waned. Really the only bands I listen to from the genre nowadays are Gregor Samsa and Mogwai.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2010, 07:39:08 PM »

*runs into thread, panting*

Yes! Yes, sorry I'm late!

AATG is probably the best metal album of the decade. And The Mantle is even better! Through I don't think it's too related to post-rock, but as an already big fan of post-rock when I listened to The Mantle I really loved the many minimalist and experimental parts.

I also have a straight post-rock band if anyone knows of them.
They are called Jakob and they are from New Zealand

This is there album called "Solace". Check out this track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFAQa3HlYYw
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2010, 12:11:14 AM »
Do it everybody!

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2010, 02:49:53 AM »
snip
Those are the bands I'm recommending you, so I left out the ones in the OP.. :)

BTW:
HOLY SHIT
https://www.1119732.net
Some dates are already confirmed:
3 Dec Minehead GB All Tomorrow's Parties
4 Dec Minehead GB All Tomorrow's Parties
5 Dec Minehead GB All Tomorrow's Parties
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 03:19:47 AM by kári »

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2010, 07:23:16 AM »
snip
Those are the bands I'm recommending you, so I left out the ones in the OP.. :)

BTW:
HOLY SHIT
https://www.1119732.net
Some dates are already confirmed:
3 Dec Minehead GB All Tomorrow's Parties
4 Dec Minehead GB All Tomorrow's Parties
5 Dec Minehead GB All Tomorrow's Parties

Old news. I'm looking forward to the UK tour they hint at myself
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2010, 06:57:12 PM »
 :heart Russian Circles

also is it right (in some form) to say that post-rock is equivalently Postmodern Rock?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2010, 10:36:45 PM »
Long Distance Calling fans, where are you?

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2010, 09:57:19 AM »
Long Distance Calling fans, where are you?

Here.

:heart Russian Circles

I'm going to see them tomorrow   ;D
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard