Author Topic: [Music] Queensryche - American Soldier  (Read 4345 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
[Music] Queensryche - American Soldier
« on: April 27, 2009, 05:27:06 PM »
Reviewed By: Nicholas R. Andreas
Artist: Queensryche
Album: American Soldier
Genre: Hard-Rock
Year of Release: 2009   
On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/American-Soldier-Queensryche/dp/B001QVMJV0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1237512786&sr=8-2

Queensryche, or at least Geoff Tate, seem to be patting themselves on the back because of what an ambitious project American Soldier was. Tate interviewed dozens of service men and women in order to prepare for the record. However I believe what the fans really care about is the music, and not the lyrical or conceptual inspiration. There is no question that ever since Chris DeGarmo’s departure Queensryche have been losing fans, but I think American Soldier might finally be a turnaround in that trend.

For starters Mike Stone left the band prior to the writing of and recording of the record, this left Wilton on full guitar recording duties, the first time a sole guitarist has recorded all the parts on a record in the history of Queensryche. This is directly linked to the first big achievement of this record, a guitar tone Queensryche fans know and love. In addition I think Queensryche fans will readily identify with a lot of the acoustic guitar found throughout the record. Also, the absence of Mike Stone led to Kelly Gray and Damon Johnson (Slave to the System) to assist Geoff Tate and producer Jason Slater in the writing of the record.

The results of this are possibly the best record Queensryche have produced since Promised Land. Although stylistically the record is not the progressive-metal old school Queensryche fans are used to, there is a return in quality to the music of a new style. Perhaps the best term I’ve heard to describe it is, “Mid-tempo hard rock”, and even if it’s not the style Queensryche fans were dreaming for, I think what’s important is that at least it’s good.

The album opens with “Sliver”, which aside from some perhaps overly aggressive side vocals is a fantastic track and one of the best kick off tracks to a Queensryche album in many years. I especially enjoy the light acoustic guitar work that sits in the background for the verses. The next track, “Unafraid” is again a solid track except for the fact that the soldier sound clips used outnumber the actual number of sung lines. However you pretty much forget about that once Wilton busts out a guitar solo that matches or beats pretty much anything on Mindcrime II. The soldier clips return throughout the album, sometimes obtrusively, sometimes simply at the beginning of songs, and for the most part they are used well, usually focusing the idea the song is trying to convey.

As you progress further into the album you will find a consistency that has often been lacking since Promised Land. Although some songs may not be as good as others I don’t think much stands out as being bad, and there are some great tracks scattered throughout the record. The albums lead single, “If I Were King” does a good job of representing the album. The song is mid-tempo, with acoustic guitar supporting the voices, leading into a chorus that picks up in power, and all of it preceded by a soldier’s introduction. The next to last track, “Home Again” I see as being a love/hate song for pretty much anyone who listens to this album. The female voice of the song is done by Geoff Tate’s young daughter, Emily Tate, and personally, I think it works. It will be easy to point out that the concept may be a bit cheesy, his daughter is not a professional singer, and frankly, right now she has a naturally deeper singing voice than her father, but when one considers what the song is about, and the natural emotion of the song, I think a good choice was made.

So, on the record you have good songs, and in start contrast to the last record, a respectable job with the tone and sound. Michael Wilton shines as the lone guitarist on the album, performing some of his best solos in recent years. As a bonus the theme of the album makes it an interesting an interesting album lyrically. On the flipside a lot of the songs are similarly structured and sound a bit alike after awhile, and the music seems to have put a leash on Scott Rockenfield whose drumming sounds much more subdued than it has ever been.

In the end I’d like to say that I certainly enjoy this album a good deal. One can make a criticism that Queensryche as a band didn’t actually write the music, that was handled almost entirely by people brought in from the outside. However that is not a valid criticism for the music of the album, as no matter who wrote it, it is a solid release under the Queensryche name.

Nick’s Rating: 8/10
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: [Music] Queensryche - American Soldier
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:17:09 PM »
The album was a pleasant surprise for me, seeing as I don't think Queensryche has released anything noteworthy in almost twenty years.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 01:50:44 PM »
This review is generally more positive than most others I've seen, in fact I've seen a 0/100 at the Metal Archives (and it was a well-written review).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 02:02:07 PM »
You can go to www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom to find Samsara's review, which is similarly positive.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 08:57:38 PM »
looking forward to purchasing this cd over the weekend. I remember I heard the single and thought it was decent but ill pick this up because the review was well done :)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 08:58:24 PM »
Sweet, I wonder when my check from Queensryche will clear. :D

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 02:52:59 PM »
You can go to www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom to find Samsara's review, which is similarly positive.

I reposted it here, at bosk1's request:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=265.0
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com