Author Topic: Bruce Dickinson Top 30 (Now Sharing: Wolfking)  (Read 23804 times)

Offline GuineaPig

Bruce Dickinson Top 30 (Now Sharing: Wolfking)
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:56:28 PM »
Bruce Dickinson, best known for being the lead singer of the legendary Iron Maiden, has managed to have an artistically, commercially, and critically successful solo career both in and out of his better-known role.  From 1990 to 2005, he released 6 studio albums, 3 live albums, and 1 compilation.  4 of the studio albums (and several new songs from the compilation) were written in partnership with Roy Z, the guitarist and producer from the Latin rock band The Tribe of Gypsies, 2 featured fellow ex-Maiden counterpart Adrian Smith, and 1 with pre-Maiden guitarist Janick Gers.  The diverse writing talent resulted in a diverse array of styles over the 6 albums, moving from innuendo-charged hard rock to alternative, to his traditional stomping ground of heavy metal.  However, he possesses an undeniably original and unique discography, and is highly recommended to any fan of heavy metal/hard rock.

The following 25 songs are what I consider to be the best from his discography, ranging from fan favourites to more obscure cuts.  Whether or not it would serve as a good introduction depends on what one's tastes are; Dickinson's work covers enough of the heavy/progessive end of the spectrum that there's probably something for everyone here.

25. King in Crimson (from The Chemical Wedding)

The loud, heavy, opener to one beast of an album, “King in Crimson” is one hell of an introduction, to the heavier, fatter approach to the guitar-work present on The Chemical Wedding.  Starting with a pair of crushing power chords, the change in production from Accident of Birth is immediately evident.  Adrian Smith and Roy Z rethreaded their guitars with bass strings in order to give rhythm work suitable punch, and it works well here.  Going down below D without using a 7 string is typically a one-way ticket to an awful, tinny low-end; the heavier strings allow the lower tunings to retain a strong edge amidst the distortion.  The song itself is excellent; the guitar-work, and particularly the solos, is top-notch, and the use of slide guitar amidst the down-tuned riffing is (surprisingly) as fitting as it is original.  A solid opener, both to the album and this list.

24. No Way Out Continued (from The Best of Bruce Dickinson)

Originally from the “lost album” sessions with Keith Olsen, this song is the “sequel” to its predecessor from Balls to Picasso.  With the absence of Roy Z, “No Way Out Continued” is a very different breed from the original, with a sound much closer to Peter Gabriel than to Iron Maiden.  The keyboard work is unlike any other in a Bruce Dickinson song, and overall the song represents a dramatic removal from any of the extremes Dickinson pursued during the rest of his solo career.  Vocally, it’s different from what he was doing at the time as well; it’s got an inkling of the raspier style he used in his early ‘90s work, but at the same time it’s darker, and mostly avoids his trademark vibrato.  This song earns its spot on this list for a number of reasons.  First of all, it’s different; both from what one would expect from him knowing him to be the singer from Iron Maiden, or what one would expect from him based on his solo work.  It’s also got a terrific vibe, and some fantastic guitar work.  I suspect not a lot of people have heard it, so I would suggest getting the 2-CD version of The Best of Bruce Dickinson, which contains a number of rare gems on its second disc.  

23. Welcome to the Pit (from Accident of Birth)

Recently in the Iron Maiden thread, Nick mentioned Psycho Motel, Adrian Smith’s other post-Maiden project.  A person listening to “Welcome to the Pit” might be surprised (pleasantly or otherwise) that Adrian Smith, typically known for fast, melodic work, would write a song so plodding, so sludgy, almost grungy...   Of course, the people who had listened to any of the two albums put out by Psycho Motel would instantly make the connection between the Alice in Chains and Soundgarden influenced riffs.  Like with Psycho Motel, the guitar work here is down and dirty, wallowing in sludgy, dissonant riffs like a pig in some mud.  Depending on your tastes, this sound could make or break your interest in the song.  For me, I’m a fan; it’s refreshingly different, and the contrast between the deep, dirty riffs and the clean, soaring vocals is pretty cool.  The S&M themed lyrics provided by Bruce give it an additional layer of filth, and H yields another great solo.  Cool song.

22.  Silver Wings (from The Best of Bruce Dickinson)

One of two tracks written by Roy Z and Bruce to be included on his ‘best of’ compilation,  “Silver Wings” is more or less the result of what would happen if you described to someone “Aces High,” and then told them to write a song based on those details without actually letting them hear it.  Up-tempo guitar and drums? Check.  Harmonies galore?  Check.  Lyrics about bombing campaigns?  Check.  Not to knock the song, but it’s hardly the most original thing Bruce has done, especially in light of some of the other songs in this bunch.  However, it is nevertheless excellent, with some solid guitar and drum work, and your typical soaring performance from Dickinson.  If it didn’t excel in its recycled state, it’d be out of the list, but as it stands, it’s at #22.

21. Gods of War (from Balls to Picasso)

Balls to Picasso is a definitely a mixed bag of an album, seeing Dickinson trade in hard rock for more avant-garde stylings.  His first collaboration with Roy Z and his bandmates from the Tribe of Gypsies, lyrically, musically, and atmospherically the album jumps around a bit, from heavy metal to rock to reggae to the latin funk of the Tribe.  “Gods of War” is indicative of this diversity; it features a number of different sounds on it, from hard rock verses to metal choruses, and a little Latin influence creeps in towards the end.  This mish-mash of genres works surprisingly well, and the song feels very cohesive in its five minute runtime.  The song features a number of great performances, specifically from Roy Z, who steals the show with some excellent riffs and a mind-blowing solo.  Dave Ingraham also puts in a solid showing, backing the processions with some great percussion, eschewing a more traditional beat for a more Latin feel which works great with the heavy riffs.  Awesome song.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 05:57:26 AM by GuineaPig »
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Bruce Dickinson Top 25
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:21:07 PM »
I have a feeling there's gonna be a lot more from Chemical Wedding to further you go.  Which is a good thing.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 12:13:39 AM »
I have a feeling there's gonna be a lot more from Chemical Wedding to further you go.  Which is a good thing.
I most definitely believe this. It's his favorite album ever (if I'm not mistaken).

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 02:09:14 AM »
Looks like I need to get my hands on the Best of.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 03:28:06 AM »
Looks great so far. Hopefully there will be a couple of songs from Accident Of Birth, my favourite of his solo albums.

Road to Hell
Man of Sorrows
Accident of Birth
Star Children

:tup

And I hope your #1 is the masterful Tears Of The Dragon. Flawless song.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 03:34:56 AM »
As much as I love Balls to Picasso, I think the live versions on Live at the Marquee are vastly superior to the Tribe of Gypsies studio cuts.  I just love the edginess of the three piece that they get going, and Alex Dickson does an amazing job of filling out the sound with his tone.  Also you can tell the band have had time to break the songs in, they seem a lot more comfortable, tighter and faster in most cases.  Truly an underrated live album. 

Not meant as a slant on your list at all or anything GP, I'm assuming you aren't counting live versions anyway so.  Just my 2 cents :P

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 04:24:20 AM »
Some interesting choices there, i will follow with interest. :)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 05:17:33 AM »

24. No Way Out Continued (from The Best of Bruce Dickinson)

This song is AMAZING!!!!  One of the highlights from the best of.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 05:21:54 AM »
Other songs I hope to see;

Omega
Trumpets of Jericho
Darkside of Aquarius
Son of a Gun
Back from the Edge
Wicker Man
Winds of Change (Balls to Picasso version)
No Way Out ...to be continued
Cyclops
Kill Devil Hill

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 09:19:07 PM by wolfking »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 05:33:20 AM »
If Dive! Dive! Dive! isn't #1 I'll be pissed.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 05:37:44 AM »
If Dive! Dive! Dive! isn't #1 I'll be pissed.

Agree, No muff too tough.

Also, Lickin' the Gun must be runner up of course!

Finger lickin' fun.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 06:08:17 AM »
I'll be using this to get into his solo stuff :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 06:12:44 AM »
Also, hoping to see the following songs:

Navigate the Seas of The Sun
River of no Return
Kill Devin Hill
Back From The Edge
Space Race
Inertia

Pretty sure both Jerusalem and Book of Thel will be up in the top ;)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 06:18:45 AM »
As much as I love Balls to Picasso, I think the live versions on Live at the Marquee are vastly superior to the Tribe of Gypsies studio cuts.  I just love the edginess of the three piece that they get going, and Alex Dickson does an amazing job of filling out the sound with his tone.  Also you can tell the band have had time to break the songs in, they seem a lot more comfortable, tighter and faster in most cases.  Truly an underrated live album. 

Not meant as a slant on your list at all or anything GP, I'm assuming you aren't counting live versions anyway so.  Just my 2 cents :P

Even though I've heard so many bad comments about Alex Dickson, I have to agree with you to a certain extent.  I actually like the live in studio A cd over the Marquee one.  Great grooves, nice tones and Dickinson is on fire.  Plus, even though Alex has a very different style to Roy, I dig it.  His solo on Tears of the Dragon live in the studio is amazing IMO, so different, yet you can feel the energy.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 06:45:22 AM »
I also hope to see these:

Tattooed Millionaire
Born in '58
Broken
Navigate The Seas Of The Sun
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 06:46:59 AM »
I also hope to see these:

Tattooed Millionaire
Born in '58
Broken
Navigate The Seas Of The Sun

More great songs right there.  It's great to see a solo band/project so damn solid!!

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 07:12:32 AM »
Obviously, not everyone's favourites will get on here.  The reason I decided against a top 50 was that if I had done it, everyone's favourites would be on the list.  As it is, I love to bits every song that gets on here; it was quite tough narrowing down the last 10 or so spots.  I'm sure I'll include a long list of honourable mentions at the end.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 07:16:18 AM »
Tears of the Dragon.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 10:52:18 AM »
20. Born in ’58 (from Tattooed Millionaire)

The only song from Dickinson’s 1990 solo debut to make this list, “Born in ’58” is a very simple song.  Clocking in at only three and half minutes, it’s a concise bit of nostalgia, an ode to a simpler time of his youth.  The reason it makes this list is fittingly, also simple; its melodies are extremely strong.  It’s a fun song to sing along to.  Janick’s riff in the bridge is also one of his best.  Great stuff.

19. The Ghost of Cain (from Accident of Birth)

Another pretty simple song, “The Ghost of Cain” was a bonus track off of Accident of Birth.  It sounds a lot like Maiden; an astute listener would pick up that it was a co-write between Smith and Dickinson immediately.  Similar to “Born in ’58,” this song earns its place by virtue of its extremely strong melodies, in both the guitar and vocal department.     The chorus is a really good sing-along, and the drum interlude by Ingraham is solid.  Casillas also puts in a solid performance, although it’s not that easy to hear it as the bass isn’t as high in the mix on Accident of Birth as it is on the other albums with the Tribe.  Solid song.

18. No Way Out... To Be Continued (from Balls to Picasso)

Another bonus song, this time from Balls to Picasso, and the counterpart to #24.  It’s just as original and good, although in different ways.  The guitar-focused songwriting of Roy Z is starkly different from the keyboard focus of the sequel; besides the name, there aren’t many similarities between the two songs.  Perhaps one of the few is that Dickinson’s vocal style on both songs are almost identical; deeper, raspier.  The riffs are excellent in this song, as is the drum performance (I believe, from Ingraham; not sure about the bonus tracks for Balls to Picasso).  Roy Z’s solo is also one of his best.  A great song, and another atypical one for Bruce.  Definitely not what one would expect from him, even if you had just been listening to Balls to Picasso.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:10:18 PM by GuineaPig »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 01:26:23 PM »
Some of my favorites:

Return of the King
Chemical Wedding
Silver Wings
Broken
Omega
Book of Thel
Abduction

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »

This is a great song.  It always reminds me of Bruce's chapter in the Run to the Hills bio when he talks about his childhood ("my grandfather taught me how to fight..."etc).  Lovely stuff!

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 07:25:51 PM »
Abduction
Can't believe this was the first mention so far

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 09:17:58 PM »
King in Crimson at 25? Way too low.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 03:18:40 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 05:32:02 AM »

The only song from Dickinson’s 1990 solo debut, “Born in ’58” is a very simple song.  Clocking in at only three and half minutes, it’s a concise bit of nostalgia, an ode to a simpler time of his youth.  The reason it makes this list is fittingly, also simple; its melodies are extremely strong.  It’s a fun song to sing along to.  Janick’s riff in the bridge is also one of his best.  Great stuff.

This is an absolutely stunning song and actually ranks #2 on my Bruce list.

Two other points:
1. Pig, great summaries of the songs so far. A very enjoyable read.
2. Bruce was an amazing solo artist. He far exceeded my expectations when he left Maiden. His vocal performance on Balls To Picasso was very surprising after Fear Of The Dark, which I thought he sounded terrible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 01:29:26 PM »
17. Accident of Birth (from Accident of Birth)

The title track from Dickinson’s fourth solo album, it was also the one that inspired his return to heavy metal.  After the failure of Skunkworks, both as an album and as a band, Dickinson was persuaded to make a metal album with Roy Z after hearing his demo for what would become “Accident of Birth.”  Only a year after Skunkworks was released, Dickinson was back in the studio with the rest of the team from Balls to Picasso, as well as fellow Maiden alumni Adrian Smith.  The result was a commercial and critical success.  This song represents pretty well the shift from Dickinson’s previous solo work towards a much more focused, heavier approach.  The riffs, song structure, and performances are all tight and concise; there isn’t the same experimentation as previous albums, for better or for worse.  The riffs here are excellent, with the post-chorus harmony garnering special notice.  A great song to headbang to, it’s driven well by the drop-D riffs and the cool beat provided by Ingraham.  Excellent stuff.

16. Trumpets of Jericho (from The Chemical Wedding)

If Accident of Birth was a heavier record than what fans might have expected from him, The Chemical Wedding took it to another level by dialing the distortion up to 11 and dropping a crushing low end on the listener.  In fact, “Trumpets of Jericho” might be the heaviest song he’s ever written.  Whereas other songs, such as “Machine Men” might feature the same sort of aggression and heavy guitars, no song of his is as audaciously dissonant as is this effort.  And it works extremely well.  The production certainly lends a helping hand, but so does the way the song is structured.  Dickinson keep his voice rather low on the extremely dissonant verses, but soars over the more energetic choruses.  The constant light/dark approach to the guitar and vocal stylings helps to keep things fresh and not let the song become a Sabbath-esque interminable grind.  Solid performances from each band member (except Casillas, who is lost in the mix here) prop up the song as well; it was particularly cool to hear H produce a cacophonous, evil, solo, which was way out of character from his usual melodic stylings.  Great song.

15. Taking the Queen (from Accident of Birth)

An excellent ‘ballad-esque’ song from Accident of Birth, “Taking the Queen” is the first of three acoustic-tinged songs on the record.  Evidence of Roy Z’s past exploits is scattered throughout this album (even though it almost completely disappears on The Chemical Wedding), and is most definitely present here.  The acoustic sections are excellent, conveying a very dark tone, which works well opposite the heavy choruses.  Z also gives an excellent solo, which starts the slow, fantastic build into the final chorus.  A careful listener will notice a little orchestration (violin) in the final verse, which as far as I know is a first (and only) for the two Z/H albums.  Also of note is the excellent performance provided by Casillas, once he’s allowed some breathing room in the song as well in the mix.  The outro piano and acoustic guitar is also a nice lead-in to “Darkside of Aquarius.”  Be sure to check out the “Midnight Jam” from second disc of The Best of Bruce Dickinson which is a Dickinson/Smith/Z jam based around some of the ideas on this song that is damn cool, and almost made the list in its own right.  Great stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 02:14:06 PM »
Pig, nice observations on these tracks. Accident Of Birth is probably Top 10 for me, though I'm not sure the other two make my Top 25. I will say that Taking The Queen is indeed a remarkable song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 02:40:25 PM »
My insta-favorites upon first listen over two years ago were "King In Crimson" and "Abduction", both which remain in my top 10. But I can't find a bad song on any of the three albums (the three metal ones, will eventually get others) I have by him.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 02:43:21 PM »
My insta-favorites upon first listen over two years ago were "King In Crimson" and "Abduction", both which remain in my top 10. But I can't find a bad song on any of the three albums (the three metal ones, will eventually get others) I have by him.

Devil on a Hog?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 02:46:30 PM »
Devil On A Hog suffers from having a bad title. It's not a bad soing at all.

Pig, I liked your comparison for Silver Wings and Aces High. Very good. Also you commented about Adrian's playing on Welcome To The Pit. Are you familiar with his work on Michael Kiske's Instant Clarity album? There's a song on it called Hunted which is also very heavy and plodding.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 03:11:52 PM »

Devil on a Hog?

whaaa??  That song is fantastic!  I love the multi-layered harmonies in the chorus. 

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 03:12:35 PM »

Devil on a Hog?
I just listened to it again to make sure and I don't find it as a bad song by any means.

Devil on a Hog?

whaaa??  That song is fantastic!  I love the multi-layered harmonies in the chorus. 
This, although I wouldn't go as far to say it's "fantastic."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 03:24:28 PM »
Huh, I guess I'm the odd one out on "Devil on a Hog."  I can't stand much past the intro riff.

"Believil" doesn't do much for me either, as does "Starchildren" and "The Magician" off Accident of Birth.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 03:28:34 PM »
I agree with you on Believil and Starchildren. The Magician is OK.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 03:40:13 PM »
Yep, Believil is rubbish.