Poll

Which is better?

Funeral
21 (63.6%)
Neon Bible
12 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Arcade Fire Thread  (Read 32425 times)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: Arcade Fire Thread
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2010, 09:41:26 PM »
SCURVYYYYYYYYY

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 12:10:24 PM »
That webcast last night was great, despite some technical glitches with the buffering and the volume at times.  I can't wait to see this band live, hopefully sooner rather than later. :)

Also, the new album sounds better and better with every listen.  "Half Light II" is an absolute monster, and "Sprawl II" is one of those songs that you just smile during because of how awesome it is. :coolio

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2010, 03:07:58 PM »
"Sprawl II" is one of those songs that you just smile during because of how awesome it is. :coolio
It's the greatest 80s song of at least the last 20 years.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2010, 11:14:40 PM »
"Sprawl II" is one of those songs that you just smile during because of how awesome it is. :coolio
It's the greatest 80s song of at least the last 20 years.

Haha, you gotta love the "Safety Dance" vibe of the keys and drums. :tup :tup

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2010, 07:45:52 PM »
Sprawl II might become my favorite AF song.  Right now its between that, No Cars Go, Keep the Car Running, My Body is a Cage, Rebellion, and Power Out.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2010, 07:52:52 PM »
I remember seeing them live front row at a festival. I wasn't there for them though, Tool were coming up next. I was bored out of my mind, thought the band were a bunch of lunatics. Whatever, my music taste has changed a lot since then (didn't know about Sigur Ros and all that stuff), so maybe it's time for another shot. I really like 'Keep the car running' though.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2010, 10:53:18 PM »
Every time you close your eyes...

LIES!  LIES!

Words really cannot say how awesome I think "Rebellion (Lies)" is. 

Good choices there, sky, although I would toss out "My Body Is a Cage" and throw in "Intervention."  If I to spitball a top 5 from the first two records (new one is still too new for me to fairly judge the songs), it would be:

1. "Rebellion (Lies)"
2. "Intervention"
3. "Power Out"
4. "Crown of Love"
5. "No Cars Go"

Offline jag66

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2010, 02:00:20 AM »
top 5? in no partic order

Neighbourhood I
Rebellion (lies)
No cars go
In the backseat
The suburbs/Sprawl II (too early to really tell)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2010, 04:45:30 AM »
This band definitely seems to be getting a lot of hype lately. I listened to some samples on amazon, but didn't hear anything that really reached out to me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2010, 04:37:01 PM »
top 5? in no partic order

Neighbourhood I
Rebellion (lies)
No cars go
In the backseat
The suburbs/Sprawl II (too early to really tell)

I have no doubt that "Sprawl II" will be a favorite of mine as far as this is concerned, but I still need to give it time to make sure.  

It seems like most of the fan base genuflects at the feet of "Tunnels," which is a great song, but I just don't rate it quite as high as many others seem to.  

This band definitely seems to be getting a lot of hype lately. I listened to some samples on amazon, but didn't hear anything that really reached out to me.

Personally, 30-second samples never help me at all.   My suggestion would be to go to youtube and listen to the studio versions of "Intervention," "Rebellion (Lies)" and "Keep the Car Running."  If none of those songs do anything for you, then this band probably isn't for you.  Full-length songs will give you a better taste test than samples will. :)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2010, 06:46:01 PM »
Add "Wake Up" to that list.  If there's one Arcade Fire song you've heard, its probably that one.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2010, 07:07:15 PM »
Add "Wake Up" to that list.  If there's one Arcade Fire song you've heard, its probably that one.

True.  I don't think it is one of their absolute best songs, but, yeah, it is easily their most recognizable song.  I'm sure most people know the big chanting harmonies, even if they don't know the name of the song or the band it's by.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2010, 08:56:51 AM »
The flow of this new record is absolutely perfect.  There are a few songs that, on their own, really wouldn't stand out at all, but in the context of the album, really add to the flow and makes the overall album that much better.  I honestly cannot remember the last time I listened to a new CD this much in the first week of having gotten it. :coolio

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »
Yeah, I listened to it again and even some of the shorter or less remarkable tracks have a chance to shine.  The album may be a bit long, but as a full album its great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2010, 08:21:22 AM »
"Month of May" is the best example of a song that sounds rather pedestrian on its own, but in the context of the album, it fits nicely in between two mellow tunes like "Suburban War" and "Wasted Hours."

Also, "Deep Blue" has slowly become a favorite of mine.  Awesome tune. :tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2010, 09:10:24 PM »
BTW, I read that the band is supposed to be on The Daily Show tonight.  It is on now (Comedy Central), so I suspect they will be on shortly.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2010, 09:23:06 AM »
The Suburbs is soooooo good...
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2010, 12:04:19 AM »
The Suburbs is amazing, can't stop listening. These guys are 3 for 3 with absolutely fantastic albums. I can't think of anyone else who can match their run over the last decade; they have to be the best band in the world right now.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2010, 12:09:13 AM »
Saw them on The Daily Show, a cool thing here and there in the songs but overall certainly nothing to write home about.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2010, 12:40:16 AM »
I wouldn't expect you to like them anyway, but I certainly hope a Daily Show performance isn't all you're judging them on.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2010, 07:08:13 AM »
I wouldn't expect you to like them anyway

Taken out of context, that would be the most indie-snob thing to say.  But we are talking about WPAPU Nick, so its fine.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2010, 09:55:36 AM »
The Suburbs is soooooo good...

Yes.  Yes, it is. :tup :tup

The Suburbs is amazing, can't stop listening. These guys are 3 for 3 with absolutely fantastic albums. I can't think of anyone else who can match their run over the last decade; they have to be the best band in the world right now.

They are up there, without a doubt, when talking about bands making the best music right now. :coolio

Saw them on The Daily Show, a cool thing here and there in the songs but overall certainly nothing to write home about.

Except that there is tons of great stuff to write home about. :biggrin:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2010, 10:45:56 AM »
I wouldn't expect you to like them anyway, but I certainly hope a Daily Show performance isn't all you're judging them on.

It is, and while I agree that two songs don't define a band, if you're not playing to impress on national television, then when are you?

I wouldn't expect you to like them anyway

Taken out of context, that would be the most indie-snob thing to say.  But we are talking about WPAPU Nick, so its fine.

It still is somewhat snobbish intending on the intent. Sure it's not what I normally listen to, but I find things outside of prog that I enjoy, and it's dumb of people to assume others don't like something they do just because of genre. I just didn't find the songs entertaining all the way through, and frankly I thought the delivery was a little cliche and dumb.

@Kev, there was a bass part in the first song that certainly was something to write home about, like I said, there were things I liked.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2010, 02:13:21 PM »

It is, and while I agree that two songs don't define a band, if you're not playing to impress on national television, then when are you?

To me, his point was not that they weren't trying to impress potential new listeners, but that you should not judge a band on one performance.

@Kev, there was a bass part in the first song that certainly was something to write home about, like I said, there were things I liked.

Okay. :biggrin:

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2010, 04:23:20 PM »
Wasn't trying to be a snob. Most of us have a very good idea of what Nick likes, and I would be surprised if you dug Arcade Fire.

I've never seen a talk show performance that has done any band justice.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2010, 05:04:40 PM »
Honestly, Coldplay on The Daily Show was the best I've seen any band on TV.  Well, excluding Rush, but they cut them off halfway through the song, so...

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2010, 09:57:30 AM »
It still is somewhat snobbish intending on the intent. Sure it's not what I normally listen to, but I find things outside of prog that I enjoy, and it's dumb of people to assume others don't like something they do just because of genre. I just didn't find the songs entertaining all the way through, and frankly I thought the delivery was a little cliche and dumb.

I think it's kind of fair. When I read your original post, I thought exactly the same thing ("I would not expect Nick to like them anyway").

I'm not saying you're some kind of prog elitist who thinks all other kinds of rock music are automatically worse because they are less difficult to play or not as long or... You know, some elitist shit.

You just seem to me like a guy who likes what he likes and doesn't like what he doesn't like. Like, I just skimmed your Top 50 Artists thread and it's probably fair to say at least 80% of the bands were prog-oriented. Nothing wrong with that. Doesn't mean you're closed-minded or anything of the sort. That's just what you like and what you're used to.

So when you come into this thread and pass off Arcade Fire - one of the most artistically respected, critically acclaimed, popular bands on the planet - as "nothing to write home about" after only seeing them perform once, I don't think it's so unfair for people to think, "OK. No surprise here."

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 11:30:33 AM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2010, 10:57:23 AM »
Anyway, the band announced more NA tour dates this week, mostly West Coast. So it looks like I'll get to see them without having to travel to Quebec!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2010, 01:15:10 PM »
Good post, TOX. :tup :tup

And I am still half-raging over the announcements of those tour dates.  Their album debuts at number 1 in the U.S., so they do a three-week tour in the fall of North America where the U.S. only gets seven dates, four of which are in the same state?  That can't be smart.  They should be taking advantage of their popularity surge by hitting spots all over the country. 

But the new CD is still tremendous. :)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2010, 02:31:17 PM »
I agree with Nick. I saw them on the Daily Show and was massively underwhelmed.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2010, 04:17:33 AM »
The suburbs is a fantastic album.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline bmc

« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2010, 04:32:45 AM »
Quote from: SinisterMinisterX
Both "feel" longer than they are (in a good way).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2010, 12:47:27 PM »
 :hat

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2010, 01:25:43 PM »
I haven't gotten around to hearing this yet. What's it like?

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Seriously, you guys, Blondie was such an awesome band
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2010, 03:11:14 PM »
I love Heart of GlassSprawl II, but The Suburbs just feels like too much of the same stuff for me. It's good stuff, but I still can't discern where one song ends and another begins.

I haven't gotten around to hearing this yet. What's it like?

It's a lot of indie and a little bit disco. It sounds good, but in the way that spending an hour in a wave pool is fun: The first few waves are fun, but after that, it's just a bunch of ups and downs.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy