Poll

Which is better?

Funeral
21 (63.6%)
Neon Bible
12 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Arcade Fire Thread  (Read 32340 times)

Offline Outcrier

Re: Arcade Fire Thread
« Reply #245 on: September 02, 2014, 08:48:43 PM »
The biggest problem is that Reflektor isn't good as their other albums  :rollin
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #246 on: June 02, 2017, 07:38:50 PM »
New song!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC30BYR3CUk

This was stuck in my head all day.  Great tune.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #247 on: March 20, 2022, 07:44:15 AM »
Not sure how many fans this band still has here, but they have a new album coming in May.  I am psyched.

The last one was pretty choppy, but did have Creature Comfort, which I consider a top 5 Arcade Fire tune, and Everything Now, Signs of Life, We Don't Deserve Love and Put Your Money on Me were all very good as well.  Just hoping for a consistent record again, although I don't see them ever equaling Funeral or The Suburbs again.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #248 on: March 21, 2022, 05:32:30 AM »
Last two albums have been mostly dogshite.  Loved this band from Funeral - The Suburbs though, but they don't seem to want to make that style of music anymore sadly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #249 on: March 21, 2022, 06:19:06 AM »
Last two albums have been mostly dogshite. Loved this band from Funeral - The Suburbs though, but they don't seem to want to make that style of music anymore sadly.

That seems a bit harsh :lol, even if I agree that the first three albums are better than the last two.  Reflektor was good, but didn't have any major highs, and Everything Now had some amazing highs, but some, to use your phrase, dog shit as well.

Considering it took them five years between their last album and this new one, and the new one is only 40 minutes long, it had better be damn good from start to finish.  It really makes you appreciate the prolific artists who give us a lot of good music regularly.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #250 on: March 21, 2022, 07:15:18 AM »
If I ever got round to doing a list of my favorite albums I'm pretty sure both Funeral and Suburbs would feature highly indeed, Neon Bible is also a very good album.........but those last two - honestly I barely found anything enjoyable on them at all.  Personal opinion and all, but that direction wasn't for me at all.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #251 on: March 21, 2022, 09:43:23 AM »
I don't think they've made an amazing album but the first 3 are decent, Reflektor is okay (has some highlights) but I do agree the last one is almost offensively bad. Maybe the new one will be good.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #252 on: March 21, 2022, 05:15:27 PM »
If I ever got round to doing a list of my favorite albums I'm pretty sure both Funeral and Suburbs would feature highly indeed, Neon Bible is also a very good album.........but those last two - honestly I barely found anything enjoyable on them at all.  Personal opinion and all, but that direction wasn't for me at all.

Reflektor was a tough nut to crack because of how suffocating the mix was/is, but I came around to liking most of it.  I just don't really love anything from it.   If I had to list my 20 favorite Arcade songs, I could probably list 4-6 songs from the other four albums and then nada from Reflektor, but if I had to list my bottom 10 Arcade Fire songs, probably half of them would be from Everything Now.  :lol :lol

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #253 on: March 21, 2022, 08:15:45 PM »
Will Butler left the band (the lead singer's brother) https://twitter.com/butlerwills/status/1505280724865359877

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7GjucHCQ5Y

when I heard I fell into a youtube hole of watching every live version of Rebellion (lies) I could find.  He's the one who put on a big show of losing his goddamn mind everytime they played that song,  It'll never be quite the same.    I saw them open for U2 in 2005, in the wake Funeral becoming a huge deal, I'll never forget that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #254 on: March 22, 2022, 03:39:39 PM »
Yeah, I reckon Will was always the super energetic guy always running around stage like his ass was on fire.  I guess I am someone who figures they are all good as long as Win and Regine are there.  And that is not meant to diminish the impact or importance of the many others who are a big part of the Arcade Fire eclectic sound.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #255 on: March 23, 2022, 10:17:16 AM »
Yeah, I reckon Will was always the super energetic guy always running around stage like his ass was on fire.  I guess I am someone who figures they are all good as long as Win and Regine are there.  And that is not meant to diminish the impact or importance of the many others who are a big part of the Arcade Fire eclectic sound.

agreed. I’m sure it’s a very collaborative process but Win and Régine are clearly the heart of this band

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #256 on: May 10, 2022, 05:15:30 PM »
New album is good, but how good is still to be determined.  Two listens in and many more to come.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #257 on: May 14, 2022, 11:31:15 PM »
It’s a grower. I love it. The Age of Anxiety tracks and the Lightning tracks are excellent. The Unconditional tracks are great. The only ones I’m not crazy for are the End of the Empire tracks and the title track but they’re in no way bad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #258 on: May 15, 2022, 05:56:18 AM »
It's growing on me a little, but it seems wholly unspectacular so far.  Five years since the last album, and this is the best 40 minutes of music they could come up with since?  Oof.  I do like the two Lightning tracks quite a bit, and everything else is pretty solid, but I find it underwhelming as a whole after a handful of listens.  I will keep at it, though, in the hopes that the light bulb suddenly goes on.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #259 on: May 15, 2022, 08:02:36 AM »
I think 'good' is high praise for what is a very mediocre album in my opinion. It's not terrible or anything but it's almost worse to make an album that's just totally forgettable from start to end and this album is the sort of album that leaves your head as soon as the last song finishes. At least if an album is bad you might remember it for being bad, this just feels lukewarm.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #260 on: May 15, 2022, 01:53:28 PM »
I try to enjoy AF's latter discography best I can, but I can't deny that with each new album it feels like the band's peak is far behind them.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #261 on: May 16, 2022, 06:22:53 PM »
I try to enjoy AF's latter discography best I can, but I can't deny that with each new album it feels like the band's peak is far behind them.

From a consistency standpoint, I agree, but the good news is that the last couple albums have sounded better from a mixing standpoint, so if they can get the quality of songs to match up with the improvement in sound, their best could be yet to come.  Of course, their next album likely won't be till 2029.  :lol :lol