Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 230833 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread (Desolation Rose - Oct. 28/29)
« Reply #1015 on: March 04, 2018, 10:06:55 AM »
Back in the World of Adventures
Big Puzzle
World of Adventures
Train to Nowhere
Theme for a Hero

Retropolis
Silent Sorrow
The Road Back Home
The Judas Kiss
Rhythm of the Sea

Stardust We Are
The Man Who Walked with Kings
Stardust We Are
Ghost of the Red Cloud
Different People
In the Eyes of the World
Compassion

Flower Power (it is 2 words, not 1 :P)
The whole Garden of Dream suite is amazing, with the first 7 and last 3 tracks really standing out
Deaf, Numb and Blind
Psycedelic Postcard
Stupid Girl

Space Revolver
I Am the Sun Part 1
I am the Sun Part 2
Monster Within
A King's Prayer (one of the few TFK songs with Froberg on lead vocals I listen to anymore)

The Rainmaker (still their weakest album ever by far)
Serious Dreamers
Elaine

Unfold the Future
Devil's Playground
Silent Inferno
Genie in a Bottle
Solitary Shell

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1016 on: March 04, 2018, 11:35:12 AM »
Stardust We Are
Stardust We Are
Ghost of the Red Cloud
Different People
In the Eyes of the World
Compassion

Replace Compassion with Just This Once and these are probably my favourites off SWA too.

The whole Garden of Dream suite is amazing, with the first 7 and last 3 tracks really standing out
Deaf, Numb and Blind
Psycedelic Postcard
Stupid Girl

Beyond the Garden of Dreams suite which I loved, DN&B and Stupid Girl were two of the tracks that stood out on Disc 2 on first listening the other night.

----------------------

Meanwhile I'm currently spinning Unfold the Future for the first time. The recurring chorus in The Truth Will Set You Free is certainly recalling Yes to me. I could easily imagine Jon Anderson singing that passage.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1017 on: March 04, 2018, 07:00:01 PM »
Despite that almost annoyingly-quirky intro, I love Just This Once.  Circus Brimstone is a favorite as well. Really, every song on that record is great, and all of the short little interlude tracks do a tremendous job of aiding the flow and giving the record a very cohesive flow.

I like The Truth Will Set You Free, but I don't love it.  And I never listen to it because it is too long, and if I am going to dedicate 30 minutes to a single song, it better be pretty awesome.  The bass guitar is the best thing about that song.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1018 on: March 05, 2018, 03:14:56 AM »
I'll only list the albums I know very well.

Stardust We Are
- Circus Brimstone
- In The Eyes Of The World

Flower Power
- Deaf, Numb & Blind
- Calling Home
- Garden Of Dreams (duh)

Unfold The Future
- Silent fuckin Inferno (best song by TFKs ever in my opinion)
- Devil's Playground (the full version, Roine! The full version!)
- The Truth Will Set You Free
In my opinion, the whole rhythm section of this album is phenomenal. It has just the amount of Jazz influence I sometimes miss in Prog music.

I only know the others from hearing them 4-5 times, so I won't give votes for them.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline DTA

« Reply #1019 on: March 05, 2018, 05:48:41 AM »
Back in the World of Adventures
Big Puzzle
World of Adventures
Train to Nowhere
Theme for a Hero

Retropolis
Silent Sorrow
The Road Back Home
The Judas Kiss
Rhythm of the Sea

Stardust We Are
Stardust We Are
Ghost of the Red Cloud
Different People
In the Eyes of the World
Compassion

Deaf, Numb and Blind
Psycedelic Postcard
Stupid Girl

Space Revolver
I Am the Sun Part 1
I am the Sun Part 2
Monster Within
A King's Prayer (one of the few TFK songs with Froberg on lead vocals I listen to anymore)

The Rainmaker (still their weakest album ever by far)
Serious Dreamers
Elaine

Unfold the Future
Devil's Playground
Silent Inferno
Genie in a Bottle
Solitary Shell

Awesome list, and most of my favorites as well. I'd probably replace Train to Nowhere with My Cosmic Lover from BITWOA and Road To Sanctuary and the title track are my top picks from The Rainmaker. Silent Sorrow might be their best "under-the-radar" song. Such a great track. I'd also pick Slave To Money from SR. So many great ideas stuffed into its 7 minutes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1020 on: March 05, 2018, 05:05:18 PM »

- Silent fuckin Inferno (best song by TFKs ever in my opinion)

It's not my favorite, but that song is definitely pretty awesome.

I'd also pick Slave To Money from SR. So many great ideas stuffed into its 7 minutes.

Slave to Money is one of those really good songs that I never see get talked about.  Much to love about it.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1021 on: March 19, 2018, 09:19:29 PM »
Second box has been announced. 3 discs of bonus tracks. I own none of these albums. This is a must buy for me.

https://www.insideoutmusic.com/newsdetailed.aspx?IdNews=22244&IdCompany=8
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1022 on: March 20, 2018, 10:21:59 AM »
Second box has been announced. 3 discs of bonus tracks. I own none of these albums. This is a must buy for me.

https://www.insideoutmusic.com/newsdetailed.aspx?IdNews=22244&IdCompany=8

So, about those bonus tracks...they're not at all what I imagined (well, not entirely).

Bonus Disc 1
These two are from the Retropolis sessions, and were previously available on Édition Limitée Québec 1998
1 Kite 07:32
2 Buffalo Man 05:28

These two are from Scanning The Greenhouse
3 The Flower King (re-recording 1998) 11:46
4 Stardust We Are (re-recording 1998) 08:57

Of these five, I only recognize "Last Exit" (from the Japanese release of Space Revolver), and "Agent Supreme" (from the bonus disc of The Rainmaker). I'm not sure where the other three come from... a Fan Club disc perhaps?
5 Last Exit 09:17
6 Brazilian Woman 04:18
7 Dexter Frank Jr. 02:24
8 Agent Supreme 02:34
9 Space Traveller 13:10

Bonus Disc 2
I have NO idea where these come from, with the exception of "A Good Heart", which was a demo bonus track from Space Revolver's Japanese release. Do the other three come from a Fan Club disc?
1 Petit Heritage 02:02
2 A Good Heart 05:21
3 The Crown and The Cross 04:54
4 King of Grief 03:51

These three were available on the Adam & Eve Japanese bonus disc (along with The Rainmaker bonus tracks, which are strangely absent from here, with the sole exception of "Agent Supreme" above).
5 She Carved Me a Wooden Heart 05:59
6 Space Revolver 07:33
7 Jupiter Backwards 06:25

These three are from The Sum Of No Evil
8 The River 05:43
9 Turn The Stone 05:07
10 Regal Divers 06:01

Bonus Disc 3 - These are the bonus tracks from Banks Of Eden and Desolation Rose
1 Illuminati 06:20
2 Fireghosts 05:50
3 Going Up 05:10
4 LoLines 04:40
5 Runaway Train 04:41
6 Interstellar Visitations 08:24
7 Lazy Monkey 02:25
8 Psalm 2013 02:10
9 The Wailing Wall 03:18
10 Badbeats 05:24
11 Burning Spears 03:15
12 The Final Era 02:57

So all in all, I'm only missing these six tracks from my library of TFK songs, 30:39 length of music that I've never heard before in my life. Is it worth getting this box set just for these six tracks, despite already owning everything else?
6 Brazilian Woman 04:18
7 Dexter Frank Jr. 02:24
9 Space Traveller 13:10
1 Petit Heritage 02:02
3 The Crown and The Cross 04:54
4 King of Grief 03:51

EDIT - Apparently "Space Traveller" and "Petit Heritage" were on the 2004 Fan Club disc, the former by Michael Stolt, the latter by Roine.
Also, the other four were on the 2005 Fan Club disc, all Roine Stolt songs with no other members credited to them.

I was on the fence about the first box set, but if I decide to get the second, I'd almost feel obligated to get the first just to have the matching set. Ahhhhhhh... I really wish Roine didn't put anything "new" on these sets. It baffles me that most of the Rainmaker and Space Revolver bonus tracks are still missing, and no inclusion of "The Cinema Show" or "Little Deceiver" either.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:28:11 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1023 on: March 20, 2018, 10:24:53 AM »
I think I'm going to bite the bullet for both box sets. I only have Banks of Eden and haven't bought any other FK cd. I mainly stream them on Google Play. With the inclusion of all the bonus tracks, then I'm in.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1024 on: March 20, 2018, 10:38:06 AM »
Got the first box despite having 3 albums previously.

Of this one I have nothing.... so a no-brainer for me

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1025 on: March 20, 2018, 10:38:45 AM »
I was a bit confused by some of this as well. Again, No Too Late For Tomatoes. They included it on the reissue vinyl of Unfold by not the CD or the bonus tracks. I noticed Cinema Show missing as well.

I just did some checking of the Fan Club discs on Prog Archives and it appears that most of the scraps are from various fan club discs.

I wish they would make the Fan Club discs available in some form. I know there is some decent stuff on those.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1026 on: March 25, 2018, 12:05:40 PM »
So less than a month after I pick up A Kingdom of Colours 1, the second box is announced. As with the first box, I currently only have one of these latter albums (The Sum of No Evil), so it'll be nice to get the rest of them in one go, along with, so it seems, a trove of bonus tracks.

I can't see it in the press release, but Amazon has the release date of this new box as June 1st.

While I'm here, I'll post what I was originally going to post:

I've just finished listening to Space Revolver again, and I noticed that really intense low bass sound at the very end of I Am the Sun Part 2. The only other time a sound like that has been borderline uncomfortable for me was the long ending chord of Strip the Soul by Porcupine Tree.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1027 on: March 25, 2018, 08:36:00 PM »
 ???

Why is that low bass uncomfortable?

Personally, I think it is pretty bad ass.  Jonas Reingold is a monster on the bass.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1028 on: March 27, 2018, 01:33:38 PM »
It just is. I can't explain it beyond that. It certainly doesn't detract from anything, and it's certainly an interesting and cool way to end the album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1029 on: March 27, 2018, 05:02:53 PM »
 :tup :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1030 on: March 30, 2018, 01:17:26 PM »
As of yesterday, I believe, the second box set is now up for pre-order.

I'm still debating on whether or not to get it, especially since I already have the special editions of all the albums included, and would only be missing 6 Fan Club tracks... ehhhh. I'd rather save that money and hunt down the original fan club discs, to be honest.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1031 on: March 30, 2018, 01:26:49 PM »
Finally pulled the trigger with the 1st box.  :tup

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1032 on: April 03, 2018, 08:30:06 AM »
Something that bugs me a bit about the boxset are the inaccuracies in the lyrics booklets. Verses swapped around (Silent Inferno) or entire chunks left out all together (I Am The Sun Pt. 2). As these presumably are redos of the original booklets, these errors must be in the originals too. It doesn't help one to get their bearings around unfamiliar music when these inaccuracies abound like this. Maybe one or two can't be avoided, but there are just so many here and it's off-putting.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 08:39:12 AM by RoeDent »

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1033 on: April 04, 2018, 12:20:18 AM »
Also pulled the trigger on the first box. I saw that the second one was up for preorder on Amazon, so I just bought them both.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1034 on: April 06, 2018, 11:04:53 AM »
Something that bugs me a bit about the boxset are the inaccuracies in the lyrics booklets. Verses swapped around (Silent Inferno) or entire chunks left out all together (I Am The Sun Pt. 2). As these presumably are redos of the original booklets, these errors must be in the originals too. It doesn't help one to get their bearings around unfamiliar music when these inaccuracies abound like this. Maybe one or two can't be avoided, but there are just so many here and it's off-putting.

Looking at my original releases of those albums, for "I Am The Sun (Part 2)", the lyrics that start back up at 4:47 don't have lyrics printed after the initial verses because they're the repeated chorus from Part 1. Otherwise, all the lyrics are there.

And as for "Silent Inferno", my booklet has all the lyrics printed in the order they are sung on the original album. So either Roine switched the song verse around in his edits, or the booklet is misprinted. Either way, both instances are correct in my original releases.

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1035 on: April 06, 2018, 11:15:31 AM »
If I recall correctly, I noticed the wrong song lengths on the Unfold The Future CD too when I bought it some years ago.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread (Career-spanning box sets now out)
« Reply #1036 on: April 10, 2018, 05:21:44 PM »
Call me crazy, but I think these box sets is their subtle way of telling us, it's over.  I think the band is done.  If so, kudos on a phenomenal run. :tup :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1037 on: April 10, 2018, 09:07:08 PM »
Call me crazy, but I think these box sets is their subtle way of telling us, it's over.  I think the band is done.  If so, kudos on a phenomenal run. :tup :tup

Coming up on their 2nd five-year hiatus, I think once we got through 2017 with no news, and Roine taking on more projects/tours, I knew it was over. Their last two albums were a nice last-hurrah, a one-two-punch of back-to-back releases for them to show off one last time, though it's a shame that line-up never evolved into a bigger of a deal.

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1038 on: April 11, 2018, 01:05:52 AM »
With all the great stuff Roine is involved into these days, I can't say this bothers me much. He has The Sea Within (which hopefully will be great) and his project with the great Jon Anderson.

But I agree, this band has made lots of great albums, my favs being Unfold The Future (duh) and The Sum Of No Evil.
Still - similar to Steven Wilson, I enjoy the stuff he does now even more than his work with his main band.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1039 on: April 11, 2018, 01:25:01 AM »
If I recall correctly, I noticed the wrong song lengths on the Unfold The Future CD too when I bought it some years ago.

Even more so now that Devil's Playground has been cut to a little over 19 minutes instead of its previous 24/25.

Looking at my original releases of those albums, for "I Am The Sun (Part 2)", the lyrics that start back up at 4:47 don't have lyrics printed after the initial verses because they're the repeated chorus from Part 1. Otherwise, all the lyrics are there.

And as for "Silent Inferno", my booklet has all the lyrics printed in the order they are sung on the original album. So either Roine switched the song verse around in his edits, or the booklet is misprinted. Either way, both instances are correct in my original releases.

-Marc.

Really? And there was me thinking nothing from Part 1 was reprised in Part 2. Or at least it didn't sound like it. I guess I need to get more familiar with that song. I wish they'd perhaps make that a bit more obvious though. When following along to get your bearings round a song, you don't expect to have to turn back a couple of pages like that. They usually print the lyrics again, or at least add "repeat chorus" or something like that.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 01:32:05 AM by RoeDent »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1040 on: April 11, 2018, 01:57:12 AM »

Even more so now that Devil's Playground has been cut to a little over 19 minutes instead of its previous 24/25.

Don't even remind me, I'm still super pissed about this  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1041 on: April 11, 2018, 05:13:58 PM »
9 years again (1st post in this thread), my album rankings was:

My personal ranking of TFK albums would go like this:

1. Flower Power*
2. Paradox Hotel*
3. Stardust We Are*
4. Space Revolver
5. Retropolis
6. Unfold the Future*
7. Back in the World of Adventures
8. Adam and Eve
9. The Sum of No Evil
10. The Rainmaker

*denotes double album

I think now it would be:

1. Flower Power
2. Paradox Hotel
3. Stardust We Are
4. Space Revolver
5. Retropolis
6. Back in the World of Adventures
7. Banks of Eden
8. Adam and Eve
9. Unfold the Future
10. Desolation Rose
11. The Rainmaker
12. The Sum of No Evil

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1042 on: April 12, 2018, 05:34:41 AM »
How come you rate The Sum so low? I think it's a great album. Zoltan was the best drummer this band ever had and he had a great impact on the band imo.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1043 on: April 12, 2018, 06:05:25 AM »
I agree that Zoltan was awesome, and all three albums he played on sound great (sonically and all that jazz), but on The Sum..., the songwriting just isn't there.  It's not bad, but it just doesn't stand out like it does on most of the other albums.  If I had to do a Flower Kings top 100, it might get one song in there (The Sum of No Reason), and even that is a big might.  One More Time is the most boring longer song ever.

Plus, as someone who has never hidden the fact that Hasse's lead vocals are very hit or miss for me, I don't think it's a coincidence that all of the albums near the bottom are ones where he sings a lot.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1044 on: April 12, 2018, 07:32:46 AM »
I agree that Zoltan was awesome, and all three albums he played on sound great (sonically and all that jazz), but on The Sum..., the songwriting just isn't there.  It's not bad, but it just doesn't stand out like it does on most of the other albums.  If I had to do a Flower Kings top 100, it might get one song in there (The Sum of No Reason), and even that is a big might.  One More Time is the most boring longer song ever.

Agree completely. I have played the hell out of their albums so much that I know nearly every song inside and out, but Sum is the one album that is a gigantic chore to listen to and that I lose interest in. I can't even tell you what Life In Motion sounds like. I actually like Love Is The Only Answer quite a bit.

My ranking would go:

1. Stardust We Are
2. Flower Power
3. Retropolis
4. Space Revolver
5. Back In The World Of Adventures
6. Desolation Rose
7. Unfold The Future
8. Banks Of Eden
9. The Rainmaker
10. Paradox Hotel
11. Adam & Eve
12. The Sum Of No Evil

I like Paradox Hotel for the most part, but Monsters & Men may be their weakest epic.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1045 on: April 16, 2018, 01:11:05 PM »
So, I had no idea that Hasse Fröberg & Musical Companion released a live DVD/2CD set last fall, and just now ordered it from their website. It's a hefty set list with music from all 3 of their albums, but more over, their website news page posted in January saying that they were working on a LOT of new music for their 4th studio album, and have enough material for a double, including a 25-minute epic!

In the absence of The Flower Kings, at least HFMC is working and putting out new music, and while sitting here at work listening to the debut, I had forgotten how great these albums were! Looking forward to watching that live concert and hearing whatever their 4th album will be, hopefully it'll come out this year!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1046 on: April 16, 2018, 05:41:38 PM »

Agree completely. I have played the hell out of their albums so much that I know nearly every song inside and out, but Sum is the one album that is a gigantic chore to listen to and that I lose interest in. I can't even tell you what Life In Motion sounds like. I actually like Love Is The Only Answer quite a bit.

Life in Motion is one of those songs where Froberg's vocals really let the song down. Roine sometimes had the tendency to write vocal lines for Froberg that seemed like they were meant for someone with power and range, but in the throat of Froberg, just came out sounding almost hoarse, thin and lacking any kind of strength or fullness. Really sucks the life out of certain songs.  And then there are songs where Froberg sounds really good.  It's strange.

I like Paradox Hotel for the most part, but Monsters & Men may be their weakest epic.

Despite some glaring and obvious flaws, I like Monsters and Men a ton. Some of Bodin's most beautiful piano work ever, and the ending is magnificent.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1047 on: April 24, 2018, 09:12:41 AM »
Listening to Garden of Dreams. I love the flow of this suite! The three main instrumental passages are spread fairly evenly through the work. The first one from the solo in All You Can Save (4) thru 5 and 6 (c. 7 mins), the second and quieter one (again around 7 minutes) covering parts 12 and 13 bringing a breather (the choir outburst in Dungeons of the Deep is spectacular!), then the 10-minute instrumental break covering parts 15-17 before the closing Final Deal.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1048 on: April 24, 2018, 07:53:40 PM »
Yep, all of those instrumental breaks are incredible.

Roine's guitar solo in All You Can Save might be his best. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1049 on: May 13, 2018, 05:19:47 PM »
For those of us in the US, Laser CD has the new box up for pre-order for $40. Shipping was $2.90 for me. Jumped all over that.

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/kingdom-colours-ii-9cd-box-set-preorder