General > General Music Discussion

Flower Kings Official Thread

(1/454) > >>

KevShmev:
This post was in another thread, so I figured this was as good a time as any to start a thread on this terrific band.

--- Quote from: reneranucci on May 20, 2009, 08:14:51 PM --- Kev, could you please post your rank of FK albums again? I just started with Flower power and I would like to know what should I get next.

--- End quote ---

My personal ranking of TFK albums would go like this:

1. Flower Power*
2. Paradox Hotel*
3. Stardust We Are*
4. Space Revolver
5. Retropolis
6. Unfold the Future*
7. Back in the World of Adventures
8. Adam and Eve
9. The Sum of No Evil
10. The Rainmaker

*denotes double album

I think Flower Power and Paradox Hotel are their most instantly accessible double albums.  Stardust We Are is magnificent, too, but was so massive and sprawling that it took me a while to get into.  Unfold the Future is really good, but there are some throwaway songs, thus making the overall flow somewhat choppy at times.

I think Space Revolver is undoubtedly their best single album.  It has the awesome "I Am the Sun" epic, which is split into two parts and bookends the record.  The rest of the record is rock solid.

I would save the bottom three on my list till you have gotten into most or all of the others.  Those three are all good, but are generally not as consistently great as all of the others (although all of them does have one or two really great songs).

What do you think of Flower Power so far?

Sigz:
I only have Stardust We Are, and I still haven't really gotten into it, though it does have some fantastic songs.

ariich:
One of my favourite ever bands. :tup

Good ranking, although I always find it strange how lowly rate Rainmaker when the rest of your ranking is so similar to mine. I think it's a really good, cohesive and enjoyable album. :)

1. Stardust We Are*
2. Space Revolver
3. Flower Power*
4. Unfold the Future*
5. Paradox Hotel*
6. The Rainmaker
7. Retropolis
8. Back in the World of Adventures
9. The Sum of No Evil
10. Adam and Eve

*denotes double album

Kyo:
I think Alive on Planet Earth is the best thing they've released so far. The
second disc in particular is just sublime, amazing stuff all the way through.
Best studio album would still be Stardust We Are I guess, at least for me.

reneranucci:
Thanks a lot Kev! Iīve just started listening to them but I'm sure they're great. I liked Roineīs work with TA and I was always curious about how he sounded with his original band.

I have only listened to the first disc of flowerpower. At the beginning, the songs felt imcomplete but then I learned that it is suppossed to be a 50+ minutes epic. What do I think about it? What makes me love music are the vocal melodies, and in that department they're brilliant, songs like "Simple Song", "Garden of Dreams" and "All you can save" are my kind of stuff definitely. The other thing that caught my attention is that they have a very original sound. It's prog rock, definitely, but for some reason it doesn't feel generic (or "derivative") at all. Sometimes itīs very poppy, sometimes it has a very dark edge (like "indian summer") that isnīt common in the classic prog that I've heard, sometimes it's very atmospheric, and then they go into full-instrumental fireworks mode. I think that they combine the different elements and moods of music very well, they donīt go randomly or mindlessly from one place to another without thinking about the big picture of the album. Their music feels very coherent (well, for a prog band at least) and it goes in a definite direction. I'm listening to Sunny Lane right now and I think it's a great example of that. Man I love this song.

Of course my opinion is based in a very limited part of their material but I'm getting other two albums and see how they compare to what I've listened so far.

Ah, and I  :heart Roine's voice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version