Author Topic: Office of Strategic Influence; A Noob!!!!  (Read 3078 times)

Offline JonesyAZ

Office of Strategic Influence; A Noob!!!!
« on: April 01, 2010, 03:19:48 PM »
Howdy there, all my DTF friends!!!

It's been awhile since i've posted; i've been SUPER busy with going to school to become a Music Therapist :)

I recently visited a used CD shop near my dad's place and found a copy of OSI's first album.  This is actually the first project i've listed to by Kevin Moore since he left DT.  And I really like the vibe of this record :)  I'll have to sit down and give it a proper 2nd listen this weekend though...I felt like I missed a bunch of what is going on in the music.

Curious if y'all think it is worthwhile to pick up subsequent releases from this project?
Sometimes I feel like I’m a super model.

But then I realize that I possess none of their qualities. Plus I have no mutant powers.

Offline kirbywelch92

Re: Office of Strategic Influence; A Noob!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 03:33:37 PM »
Their latest album "Blood" was in the top ten albums of 2009 here, so it's pretty well liked.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 03:38:02 PM »
All three OSI albums are very good.  Opinions seem to be all over the place on which one is best, but if you like the first one enough, you should like the second and third ones, as well. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 03:41:24 PM »
OSI (Limited Edition) > Blood >>>>>>> Free

I enjoyed Blood far more than Free upon first listens... I think it holds up better over-time, as well. Upon reading this thread, I may give each of the OSI albums a spin tonight!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 04:14:04 PM »
It probably counts as heresy but I haven't heard the debut yet (will change it soon though). However, I do have Free and really like it, and Blood is an excellent album, which grows a LOT over time. I definitely recommend both. Free is more in the electronic direction, Blood is fairly heavy and very dark.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 04:57:06 PM »
Just avoid the awesome lyrics of Free

I did it my way
I did it my way
I did it my way on the highway highway

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 08:01:34 PM »
I didn't care for the first album all that much.  Free was OK.  I really like Blood a lot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 10:12:48 PM »
I love the first album. It clicked with me right away. I was disappointed when I got Free, but it's grown on me a lot.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 07:39:01 AM »
OSI is actually my least favorite of the three. It's pretty hard to pick which I like the most though.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 09:48:41 AM »
OSI's Office of Strategic Influence album was my favorite album of the decade.  There was a lot of in-studio tension amongst the band members making that album and I think that resulted in great music.  Everyone got their "sound" into the music IMO.  I'll never forget the moment I bought the album and had no idea what Kevin's monotone voice would sound like over progressive metal music.  I was listening on headphones while on a computer at the public library.  As "The New Math/OSI" kicked, I could hardly contain myself.  It was killer.  I also love Kevin's use of audio samples from movies, and in this album he does it very well.  The next two OSI albums are light on samples. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 09:53:45 AM »
I've liked OSI since I first checked them out two or three years ago, but since they released Blood, they've started becoming a favorite of mine.  Fantastic band.

Curious if y'all think it is worthwhile to pick up subsequent releases from this project?

Answer:  HELL YES.

Buy them, play them, enjoy them.  :tup

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 10:51:36 AM »

I did it my way
I did it my way

Yeah, that's actually one of my favourite parts of Free. OSI is one of my favourite bands, Blood is the best album followed by Free and the S/T.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 02:05:04 PM »
Wow.  Looks like all 3 are equally favored. 

Loved OSI.  Don't care for the other two. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Areola

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
I loved the first because of how they converged the electronics and the metal. The subsequent releases are good also, but I don't value them as much. You could say it's because I would like prog-metal more, but that's no the truth. As I said i liked how they mixed the metal and the electronics. Not that they should repeat themselves, but they way they handled it in the first album was so good. It sounded much more like a collaboration than the other ones. Maybe people will disagree with me there I don't know. But you should at least try the ones before!

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 01:04:08 PM »
Man, I guess I should pick these albums up.

BTW (totally off-topic but I just noticed) - @Areola FFVIII FTW
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 03:08:40 PM »

I did it my way
I did it my way

Yeah, that's actually one of my favourite parts of Free. OSI is one of my favourite bands, Blood is the best album followed by Free and the S/T.
Really? I was quoting it because it sounds really cheessy and guacala in general.

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 04:02:34 AM »

I did it my way
I did it my way

Really? I was quoting it because it sounds really cheessy and guacala in general.
Yep, I can even hear the way he sounds when I sing the lines in my head when I read it. Yeah, its the lyrics are quite cheesy but I like the way he sounds when he sings it. It have got stuck in my head so that's one of the reasons that it's one of my favourite parts/songs of the album.