Author Topic: Porcupine Tree Lists-thread - Currently rocking you: mikemangioy  (Read 110327 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Porcupine Tree Top50 (Version 2.0)
« Reply #175 on: April 09, 2010, 11:23:47 AM »
Pretty much. I'm not sure I'd say I 'love' SoM, but it's way better than Deadwing and a damn good song.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #176 on: April 09, 2010, 11:25:44 AM »
Nah, i love Deadwing.
One of THE highlights on the album, and one of the opening-tracks.
I like The Sound of Muzak, not a crazy fanboy by any means, but when they played it live, it was still a moment where i felt that doing anything other than singing along would be a crime. ;)

And i don't think you're crazy, i find it really funny that PT has so many great songs, some songs means the world to some people, and other people just goes "meh" at it. :P
Just like Darkes7 with his hate for Trains, this forum is fun because of the different personalities. :)

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2010, 11:32:28 AM »

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #178 on: April 09, 2010, 11:38:51 AM »
Just remember Faemir: down the road, not across it, and only use prescription pills, not those Flintstones vitamins.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #179 on: April 09, 2010, 12:39:01 PM »
Yo those are pretty tasty.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #180 on: April 09, 2010, 01:49:05 PM »
my top six, for anyone that cares:
Arriving Somewhere
Anesthetize
Trains
TSMS
The Incident
Stars Die   :o

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #181 on: April 09, 2010, 02:30:18 PM »
I must be the only one who really likes Arriving Somewhere but doesn't love it.

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #182 on: April 09, 2010, 02:46:43 PM »

Nah, i'm with you on that one.

I prefer Anesthetize.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #183 on: April 09, 2010, 02:47:06 PM »
It's a possibility

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2010, 04:07:49 PM »

Nah, i'm with you on that one.

I prefer Anesthetize.
I agree with this.
Anesthetize > all
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #185 on: April 09, 2010, 04:44:15 PM »
Just like Darkes7 with his hate for Trains, this forum is fun because of the different personalities. :)
I think I'll put this as my signature. READ AND REMEMBER FOREVER, EVERYONE:
I DO NOT hate Trains. I've always said it's a good song and it WOULD make my top50, probably even around 30-40, if I made my own list. It's also amazing live. What I hate it the cult surrounding it, and that wherever I see PT, the next thing I see is Trains. It's good, but THERE ARE DOZENS OF MORE AMBITIOUS PORCUPINE TREE SONGS DAMN IT. It's just another pop-rock song. Nothing special or original about it, it's just pretty well-written. There are lots of songs that deserve the status it has much more. And worst of all, Trains puts the rest of In Absentia, which is a very ambitious and experimental album in itself in the shadow, and makes people just see the three poppy songs (I actually wrote about that after the In Absentia survivor and got flamed, I still stand at my opinion I posted back then). That's what I hate about Trains. Not the song itself.

The Sound of Muzak, on the other hand, has no emotion, is fairly boring (despite being around 4 minutes), and has absolutely nothing to grab me, and was the only boring moment of an otherwise absolutely awesome concert.

Shesmovedon is OK but half of Lightbulb Sun leaves it miles behind. And I don't see absolutely anything great about the guitar solo.

...that's it about clearing things up.

---

My own top 5:
1. Anesthetize
2. Don't Hate Me
3. Gravity Eyelids
4. The Start of Something Beautiful
5. Way Out of Here

The Incident would have been easily #1 if counted as one song. Octane Twisted, Circle of Manias and I Drive The Hearse would make it to my top10 on their own.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: April 09, 2010, 04:45:37 PM »
Why do you hate Trains?

:splodetard:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: April 09, 2010, 04:56:28 PM »
Update, with nr 6 and 5.
This will also be the last time they'll come in pairs, from now and on i'll post one each day, trying to add even a little more text on each song. ;)

6. Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before it is Recycled - (Lightbulb Sun)
First of all, it's very clear that me and Sintheros doesn't share opinions on this track. :P
This song is far from being mediocre/dull, it's one of the absolute highlights in the PT-catalog.
I'll agree that at first i didn't use to think much of it, but that was before i heard the XMII-version.
If you haven't heard that version, you should go listen to it right NOW, and feel very ashamed because you haven't taken the time earlier.
It became clearly to me that this was a brilliant song, it just got so much better for every listen, and right now i think it's my most played PT-song (on lastfm) after Trains.
The song itself isn't very hard to grasp, first part of it is a genuine ballad, similar to Trains/Lazarus/Stars Die, it features some lyrics i really love, lyrics that feel's 'typical' for the album somehow, and the first part of the song is pretty much just acoustic-guitars (banjo) and harmonies.
However, i love the keyboard-pattern, it's simple but very very very effective.
The way SW delivers the lines is just pure awesomeness, and i especially get shivers from the line:
"You kissed me on the lips".
After that the song just takes off into instrumental-experimentation land, and the second part features some of the best sampling i've ever heard in a song, the strumming guitars reminds a bit of Time Flies, though it really should be the other way around.
Anyhow, what i especially love with the XMII-version is the drums, just listen to them.. the end of the song get's a real climax, and the keyboard-work is amongst Richard Barbieri's best imo.

If i would title this tape, it would be.. last chance to evacuate planet earth, before it is recycled...

5. Trains - (In Absentia)
I know Darkes7 will burst out in anger because of me putting it this high, but i simply couldn't resist! :P
It was the second PT-song i heard, and when i heard it the first time, i just knew that i had found a band i would love forever.
Being the biggest hit-song by the band, obviously the song has been played countless times live, i never seem to get bored of it though.
The song is a great mix of simple meets catchy, and together it makes one of the best ballad-songs of all time.
"Always the summer's are slipping away, Find me a way for making it stay"
First "chorus", a line that has a personal-meaning to me, and it will always remember me of the time when i discovered PT, and all the positive memories around that.
The guitar-solo is another awesome part, and the second "chorus", or well..
"When I hear the engine pass
I'm kissing you wide
The hissing subsides
I'm in luck

When the evening reaches here
You're tying me up
I'm dying of love
It's OK
"
Is another epic part of this song, and you can call the lyrics cheesy or whatever you want, but still this is one of the classics.
Personally i didn't wanna put it higher then this, i think nr5 is pretty good.
Like stated by others in the PT-thread, i share the opinion that "some days i think it's the best PT-song, but other days i just think.. it's one of their many great great songs, stop talking about it!".

4 songs left now. :)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #188 on: April 09, 2010, 04:58:37 PM »
Trains is horribly, horribly overrated imo.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: April 09, 2010, 04:59:55 PM »

It is kinda overrated, in the sense that as Darkes7 said: "everywhere you see PT, Trains will soon follow".
Still, has a lot of personal meaning to me, and has to finish high up. :P

Darkes7 @ you do realize that i said that just to mess with you? ;)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #190 on: April 09, 2010, 05:08:34 PM »
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Seriously, I saw that coming of course. :lol But I'm surprised Last Chance... isn't top 3, after what you were saying about it I was pretty certain it will be even higher.

Darkes7 @ you do realize that i said that just to mess with you? ;)
:lol Ok, you got me. But at least I got it clear. Permanently. :p

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #191 on: April 09, 2010, 05:15:32 PM »
I like those picks. Last Chance is one of my favorite songs ever, with Trains being number 1  ;D
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline faemir

« Reply #192 on: April 09, 2010, 05:18:43 PM »

Quite possibly, but it also annoys me when people are all "derrr that song is all popular and overrated!", but I know you aren't saying it like! It just reminds of when people say that. Sorry :blush

Wooo Trains! (yes its far better live).

also Darkes, why don't you like wedding nails? I bet you haven't heard it live :hefdaddy

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: April 09, 2010, 05:23:06 PM »
Last Chance is such an amazing song. It would most definitely make my top 10 if not top 5.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline faemir

« Reply #194 on: April 09, 2010, 05:24:45 PM »
Next you'll be saying Feel So Low is bad. :-X

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #195 on: April 09, 2010, 05:26:52 PM »
*Look at Zantera's post*

:angry:

;)

in that order.
caw caw

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #196 on: April 09, 2010, 06:00:59 PM »
Trains ftw
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #197 on: April 09, 2010, 06:03:51 PM »
also Darkes, why don't you like wedding nails? I bet you haven't heard it live :hefdaddy
I've said that? There are some even better songs on In Absentia, but it's damn good. And I am sure that indeed it must rock live.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #198 on: April 09, 2010, 06:17:44 PM »
What does it say about Arriving Somewhere ...but Not Here and Anesthetize if they before a perfect song on my list?
A lot

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: April 09, 2010, 06:36:37 PM »
Last Chance is an amazing song...I kinda have to listen to it after Shesmovedon now.  Speaking of which, I better see that song on this list!

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: April 09, 2010, 07:50:58 PM »
I hope not, it doesn't deserve it at all. But I'd still like to see Lightbulb Sun (I don't love it THIS much, but it seems to me like Zantera would :D).

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: April 09, 2010, 09:18:01 PM »
I hope not, it doesn't deserve it at all. But I'd still like to see Lightbulb Sun (I don't love it THIS much, but it seems to me like Zantera would :D).

It's already on the list.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline LTE

« Reply #202 on: April 09, 2010, 09:26:43 PM »
It's just another pop-rock song.

lol wut.

seriously what!?!?!

WHAT?   :|
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: April 09, 2010, 10:13:25 PM »
It's good, but THERE ARE DOZENS OF MORE AMBITIOUS PORCUPINE TREE SONGS DAMN IT. It's just another pop-rock song.

A great, well-written pop/rock song is better than any amount of decent or good quality experimentation.  Trains is that well-written pop/rock song.  Gravity Eyelids is that good experimental song. 

Offline jag66

« Reply #204 on: April 10, 2010, 05:25:26 AM »
It's good, but THERE ARE DOZENS OF MORE AMBITIOUS PORCUPINE TREE SONGS DAMN IT. It's just another pop-rock song.

A great, well-written pop/rock song is better than any amount of decent or good quality experimentation.  Trains is that well-written pop/rock song.  Gravity Eyelids is that good experimental song. 

They're both sweeeet

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: April 10, 2010, 05:38:53 AM »

It's already on the list.
Damn, forgot about that.

It's just another pop-rock song.

lol wut.

seriously what!?!?!

WHAT?   :|
What is it, then?

:lolpalm: no, it's not. Unless you want to follow this path and claim Nickelback owns everything. A well-written pop-rock song is a good addition to an album and sometimes a good live song. Nothing else. It can't stand against well-written ambitious, experimental songs. And especially not against perfectly-written masterpieces like Gravity Eyelids.

Offline LTE

« Reply #206 on: April 10, 2010, 08:16:34 AM »
And especially not against perfectly-written masterpieces like Gravity Eyelids.

I think you are a little biased.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #207 on: April 10, 2010, 08:26:34 AM »

A great, well-written pop/rock song is better than any amount of decent or good quality experimentation.  Trains is that well-written pop/rock song.  Gravity Eyelids is that good experimental song.  

You are correct, but I wouldn't even bother saying stuff like that to him.  All that does is give him a reason to go on another "Trains" tirade, which seems to happen in every PT thread nowadays, and it is getting really old, really fast.  :\

Anyway, "Trains" and "Last Chance..." are both awesome, and both are more than worthy of being top 10 PT songs.  Good choices! :tup :tup
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 08:33:00 AM by KevShmev »

Offline robwebster

« Reply #208 on: April 10, 2010, 08:41:59 AM »

A great, well-written pop/rock song is better than any amount of decent or good quality experimentation.  Trains is that well-written pop/rock song.  Gravity Eyelids is that good experimental song.  
:lolpalm: no, it's not. Unless you want to follow this path and claim Nickelback owns everything. A well-written pop-rock song is a good addition to an album and sometimes a good live song. Nothing else. It can't stand against well-written ambitious, experimental songs. And especially not against perfectly-written masterpieces like Gravity Eyelids.
Bold is mine. Great, well-written pop song.

Music is an abstract art. It's about conveying a mood. That could mean anytihng. A 17-minute opus which takes you on an emotional journey, unsettles you and then pangs at your heartstrings is a fantastic song. But a six minute, sepia-tinted nostalgic anthem which fills you to the brim with sorrow and nostalgia with just that tiny hint of optimism can be achingly beautiful in the same way. That's all music is for. It doesn't provide a function. If it makes you feel feelings, it's done its job. And Trains captures its directive very, very well, as the number of people who are in love with the song clearly signifies. It's like it's bottled a really specific, elusive mood. It's not experimental, but it's captured something so fleeting and beautiful, and it's done a marvellous job of it. Loads of people are taking something from it. And that's really all you need to do.

Don't you think it's a bit odd that a bunch of prog fans are all swarming around a six minute song? Surely that should be a tip-off that there's something more to it. No problem if you don't hear it. That's fine. Brilliant, in fact, I think it's great to champion a different opinion. But that doesn't mean everyone else is wrong and it's an emperor's new clothes type thing, so it's kinda rude to be telling people they shouldn't be enjoying it as much as they are. What's wrong with enjoyment, anyway? Not causing anyone any harm.

The reason people get snobby about mainstream music is that a lot of it is shallow. Nickelback is very shallow and so they get swamped with ridicule. And I kind of think they've earnt some of that ire. Just listen to Rockstar, christ. Their only real saving grace is that they're fun, and even then... ehhhh. The Dark Eternal Night is fun. Photograph just makes me want to cut my own spleen out. I don't like, say, dredg any more than Nickelback; I find dredg's vocals really irritating and that actually ruins the band for me. But I recognise that dredg have invested their time into making quite artful music that makes people feel feelings, and their music gains a bit of credibility. Even if I can't stand it. I think it's tricky to call Trains shallow.  They're completely different songs.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: April 10, 2010, 09:03:56 AM »
God robwebster you're one of the greatest posters I've seen on this board.