Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 228151 times)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #630 on: May 29, 2011, 02:15:07 AM »
I recommend using UTW instead of GG then. GG is notorious for their trollsubs (like the Vagina Bones line in Yumekui Merry). Obviously, if they really like a show they will sub it properly, but Hidan no Aria is just so cliched and ridiculous (IMO) that the only things that make it interesting are comedy subs with great lines like "Don't you know? French people can't into H!"

Unfortunately, I can't choose the subber since I only get anime via a friend (I don't get them myself). I'll make a recommendation, but of course, whether he chooses UTW or stays with GG is in his own hands.

But yeah, HnoA is extremely cliché'd, that's true. But at the same time, I like the rollercoaster it creates for me - it's always between "Hell yeah, that was badass!", "Haha, WTF did he/she just say?!" and "Goddamn, it was so clear that this would happen". And somehow, in a twisted sense, I can't get away from it.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #631 on: June 16, 2011, 01:29:41 PM »
Just saw an interesting preview on Comcast On-Demand for some flick called Summer Wars.  Anyone here familiar with it?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #632 on: June 16, 2011, 04:19:21 PM »
Just saw an interesting preview on Comcast On-Demand for some flick called Summer Wars.  Anyone here familiar with it?

SUMMER WARS IS FUCKING AWESOME

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #633 on: June 16, 2011, 04:20:37 PM »
*ahem*

Directed by the same person as the Digimon movie it's basically like a longer version of the second 'story' in the Digimon movie (where the evil Digimon is launching nukes). But it's really more about family, I guess? Long story short it's a great film and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes or at least can tolerate anime.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #634 on: June 16, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
alright i tried baccano on Netflix and the dubs were actually the worst I've heard, meaning that I actually took note of their badness. not exactly my thing. not artsy fartsy enough I guess

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #635 on: June 16, 2011, 04:49:02 PM »
alright i tried baccano on Netflix and the dubs were actually the worst I've heard, meaning that I actually took note of their badness. not exactly my thing. not artsy fartsy enough I guess

Baccano! is well known for the quality of its dubbing. What is wrong with you?  :lol

...my name is Araragi.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #636 on: June 16, 2011, 04:50:57 PM »
really?  :lol the whole time i was amazed at how bad the new york accents were

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #637 on: June 16, 2011, 06:33:09 PM »
I also much preferred the subs.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: June 17, 2011, 06:00:57 PM »
You guys are crazy.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: June 18, 2011, 04:38:10 PM »
Baccano! dubs aren't bad.  There are a few really good ones but the non-Firo NY accents are usually just OK.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: June 18, 2011, 05:26:54 PM »
Certainly better than the dubs for NGE and Elfen Leid.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: July 04, 2011, 05:53:31 AM »
Summer season has started! :caffeine:

In the off chance that anyone gives a fuck, I'm going to post my opinion on the new animes as they air:

Kamisama no Memochou: Awesome. Didn't expect to like this one based on the synopsis but it really impressed me. So far this anime has been the best, but only three have aired so far  :lol

Sacred Seven: Basically a tokusatsu show made by the same people as Code Geass. It's pretty badass but it doesn't seem to have any particular depth...not yet at least. Definitely worth checking out, even if future episodes don't take it anywhere deeper.

Ikoku Meiro no Croisee: Uggghh. This is about a little japanese girl who goes to Paris in the late 19th century. It's almost exactly as entertaining as you would expect. My friends and I are watching it because it leaves itself open to be MST3K'd, but so far it has little merit of its own.

tl;dr: Kamisama no Memochou=Recommend, Sacred Seven=Recommend, Croisee=no

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Secor

« Reply #642 on: July 05, 2011, 09:51:27 AM »
Looks like a pretty crappy season. Guess I'll rewatch My Little Pony instead.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: July 05, 2011, 10:10:33 AM »
Any season wherein Steins;gate is airing is not a crappy season.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: July 06, 2011, 07:42:06 PM »
Kamisama Dolls: Promising, depending on how they handle this premise it could be really great or it could suck terribly...only time will tell. I'll recommend for now. First episode is good.

Yuruyuri: Funny. If you like slice of life shows (like Azumanga Daioh, K-on!, or Lucky Star) you will probably like it. Recommend.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Secor

« Reply #645 on: July 07, 2011, 03:34:55 PM »
Yuruyuri: Funny. If you like slice of life shows (like Azumanga Daioh, K-on!, or Lucky Star) you will probably like it. Recommend.

lol is this some kind of yuri anime?

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: July 08, 2011, 06:09:31 AM »

Not really...outside of the now common pervy lesbian girl (thanks probably to Index/Railgun). Although this show does have TWO of those, so who knows.

Anyway:

No. 6: I went into this show thinking it was a sci-fi but ended up with a main character who had a girl's name wearing a purple sweater, and I thought, "This is a gay show, isn't it? This guy is the uke." Then another guy breaks into the guy's house and tries to strangle him and then starts living with him, I was like "And here is our seme..." By the end of the episode our protagonists are lying on a bed holding hands, and I knew this was definitely a yaoi show. My verdict for now is...if you're into yaoi, watch it. If you are immensely homophobic, don't. If you're neither...wait a few more episodes so I can find out if it has any non-gay substance to it  :lol

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Secor

« Reply #647 on: July 08, 2011, 09:25:45 AM »

Not really...outside of the now common pervy lesbian girl (thanks probably to Index/Railgun). Although this show does have TWO of those, so who knows.

Anyway:

No. 6: I went into this show thinking it was a sci-fi but ended up with a main character who had a girl's name wearing a purple sweater, and I thought, "This is a gay show, isn't it? This guy is the uke." Then another guy breaks into the guy's house and tries to strangle him and then starts living with him, I was like "And here is our seme..." By the end of the episode our protagonists are lying on a bed holding hands, and I knew this was definitely a yaoi show. My verdict for now is...if you're into yaoi, watch it. If you are immensely homophobic, don't. If you're neither...wait a few more episodes so I can find out if it has any non-gay substance to it  :lol
I don't watch yaoi.......so, i'm going to have to pass on that one :lol

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: July 08, 2011, 06:40:34 PM »
Neither am I, but I'm trying to give everything that is not immediately repulsive a fair go this season  :biggrin:

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #649 on: July 09, 2011, 07:09:33 AM »
Watched a few series just recently on Netflix. The first two I checked out after hearing about them in this thread.

Baccano! - Really liked this, like mentioned before the dub is great. Non-linear storytelling can be amazing when done properly, and I think they nailed it here with the 3 storylines. Obviously confusing at first, but really satisfying when everything gets going and you know whats up. However I felt it ended rather abruptly (this could be because I watched the whole last half of the series in one sitting though), and left me wanting more. Still, I would recommend it to anyone else looking for a good short series to watch.

Darker Than Black - Another good one, but not as good as Baccano imo. More of the standard people-fighting-each-other-with-special-powers kinda thing you see a lot, but done in an entertaining and interesting way, and I really liked most of the characters.

Eden of the East - A short series I'd never heard of before, it really surprised me with how great it was. Puts a good spin on the "hero with amnesia" trope and delivers something thats just a ton of fun to follow through to the end. The "end" being the series' biggest weakness though, as it kinda doesn't really end at all, instead leaving a big fat TO BE CONTINUED IN MOVIES, which really annoyed me. That aside though, this was probably my favorite of the three.  ;D

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: July 09, 2011, 01:41:44 PM »
Watched a few series just recently on Netflix. The first two I checked out after hearing about them in this thread.

Baccano! - Really liked this, like mentioned before the dub is great. Non-linear storytelling can be amazing when done properly, and I think they nailed it here with the 3 storylines. Obviously confusing at first, but really satisfying when everything gets going and you know whats up. However I felt it ended rather abruptly (this could be because I watched the whole last half of the series in one sitting though), and left me wanting more. Still, I would recommend it to anyone else looking for a good short series to watch.

That would be because the Baccano! anime only covers 3 novels out of a 16 novel series.

New animu:

Mawaru Penguindrum: It's made by the same person as Revolutionary Girl Utena, which I guess I might care about if I had ever seen Utena. This show was extremely strange, but that right kind of strange that makes me want to watch it next week so I can have more. Recommend.

Mayo Chiki: This is a show about a girl pretending to be a rich girl's (male) butler, because I guess they didn't want to do a show about a dude pretending to be a rich guys (female) maid. So far pretty standard fare...the main character's classmates think he's gay and that the butler girl is a man...certainly can't guess where this plot is going to lead. Recommend.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #651 on: August 26, 2011, 08:46:59 PM »
I know it doesn't count, but we don't have a manga thread.  I just began reading a manga series called Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles.  It's actually quite entertaining.

And I'm watching the anime adaptation in sequence so this post still counts. :P

But the manga is totally better than the anime in my opinion.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: August 27, 2011, 07:21:32 AM »

I think you would be hard pressed to find one where that wasn't true.

So as indicated by my avatar and signature, I think Mawaru Penguindrum is awesome and noone has any excuse not to be watching it because it is great.

See also: Steins;gate, Nichijou, Usagi Drop, Kamisama no Memochou

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #653 on: August 27, 2011, 07:59:45 AM »

I think you would be hard pressed to find one where that wasn't true.

So as indicated by my avatar and signature, I think Mawaru Penguindrum is awesome and noone has any excuse not to be watching it because it is great.

See also: Steins;gate, Nichijou, Usagi Drop, Kamisama no Memochou

So what are these, shonen, shojo, seinen...?

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: August 27, 2011, 08:09:04 AM »
Hm.

I'm not 100% sure but I think Steins;gate is seinen, Penguindrum might be as well. Neither of them are based on manga, so there's not really an official demographic for them.

Nichjou and Kamimemo are officially shonen, but considering the first episode of Kamimemo is about teenage prostitutes I'm not sure why it's not seinen  :lol

Usagi Drop is actually josei, but it's awesome.

Summaries might be more helpful:

Steins;gate: IMO, the best thing on the air right now. It's a thriller about time travel. It's way awesome.

Mawaru Penguindrum: There are two guys whose sister dies. Then she puts on a magic hat and is alive again. The magic hat has a personality that takes over her body and wants them to find an item called the Penguindrum. If I start talking more about it we'll be getting into spoilers.

Nichijou: Basically extremely over the top absurd comedy. Like Azumanga Daioh on crack.

Kamisama no Memochou: Detectives. NEET Detectives.

Usagi Drop: Main character's grandfather dies, he goes to the funeral and finds an unfamiliar little girl there. He finds out that his grandfather had a mistress and that the child is hers. Noone in his family wants to take care of her, so he does.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #655 on: August 28, 2011, 08:18:49 AM »
I'll try out those first two, for sure.  BTW, the Tsubasa Chronicles anime doesn't hold a candle to the manga.  I can't believe how much fucking filler there is, what is this, Dragonball Z?

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: August 28, 2011, 09:39:55 AM »
Best part of Penguindrum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcJds6yjsMY

SEIZON SENRYAKU!!

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #657 on: August 28, 2011, 11:20:07 AM »
Best part of Penguindrum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcJds6yjsMY

SEIZON SENRYAKU!!

Holy shit, WTF did I just watch? :lol

Edit: In case it wasn't clear, that was a good WTF, not a bad one.  But still WTF. :p
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 04:59:04 PM by Super Dude »

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: September 11, 2011, 09:48:08 PM »
So has anyone checked out any new shows recently?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Secor

« Reply #659 on: September 26, 2011, 08:53:13 PM »
Penguins are pretty cool.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: September 27, 2011, 10:19:04 AM »
So the first new show for the fall season is out, and it's the new season of Ika Musume  :biggrin:

So excited for Persona 4, Fate/Zero, and Mirai Nikki

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Secor

« Reply #661 on: September 27, 2011, 02:05:59 PM »
I HOPE Persona 4 turns out good. The game was nearly perfect, so I have pretty high expectations for the anime.

At least the music will be good! Shoji Meguro  :heart

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #662 on: September 27, 2011, 03:21:24 PM »
I HOPE Persona 4 turns out good. The game was nearly perfect, so I have pretty high expectations for the anime.

At least the music will be good! Shoji Meguro  :heart

All of this. Ten fold. Especially Meguro-sama; I have a playlist set up of the Shin Megami soundtracks evermore. I absolutely adore the man's musical mind.

Nothing much new in the world of manga/anime for me. I've been getting into Deadman Wonderland lately, I'm now caught up in the manga and finished watching Season 1 of the anime. Which I hope gets picked back up sometime in the near future, but I fear for its survival due to the cannon material they've left out, especially regarding a certain woman. Gantz is still number one in my list of favorites, though lately it's been lacking a bit. Ao no Exorcist is pretty cool, nothing jaw-dropping but its entertaining. That's another series that's suffering a little in the anime category, which is really sad because when its cannon material and they're at the top of their game, its one of my favorites.

I think that's about it... I've been craving a new manga and/or anime series recently but I'm very picky in what I like when it comes to genres. I really love the more brutal series that focus on character relationships. Obviously Gantz would be one of those series, Battle Royale is also pretty cool but I despise the sequels created; I couldn't get past the first couple chapters. Oh, an older series I got back into is Bokurano. Very touching, very brutal, but it's not just for the sake of being brutal; it paints a very real picture of human relationships between adolescents and their choices.

Rereading all that, it's so jumbled.  :lol Whatevs, stream on conscience. Good song.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 03:33:32 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: September 27, 2011, 03:32:49 PM »
As long as it's better than Trinity Soul

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #664 on: September 27, 2011, 03:34:57 PM »
As long as it's better than Trinity Soul

Psh, no kidding; at the very least this show needs to kick TS' ass to be acceptable. I didn't finish the third episode of TS because it grossed me out so much. Just take the Persona name off if the show is going to give it a bad name. It could've been worse but...not by much.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.