Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 228271 times)

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #560 on: April 01, 2011, 09:47:14 PM »
I'm making my second attempt at NGE. Not that I don't like it or anything, just a lot came up the last time I started watching it and I only got to about episode 7. I'm just starting over.

And I must say, the only reason I don't skip the intro song is because I use that time to switch to the English audio track and to turn off the subtitles.

I know it's sacrilege to do so, but I'm also big on artwork and I can't pay attention to that if I'm reading as well.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #561 on: April 01, 2011, 10:04:58 PM »
Ugggh Shinji's voice in English is like having boiling water poured in my ears.

He sounds more feminine than he did in Japanese.

And in Japanese he was played by a woman  :|

...my name is Araragi.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #562 on: April 01, 2011, 10:14:22 PM »
Really? I think the voice fits his character pretty decently.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #563 on: April 01, 2011, 10:46:33 PM »
I'm on the fifth episode and I'm already really excited about this series again :caffeine:

SHINJI KATAMARI NOBUO

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: April 01, 2011, 10:48:41 PM »
*shrug*

I think NGE is the prime example of what a bad dub can do to an anime, Elfen Lied is another example. On the other side, if you want to see what a really good dub can do for an anime, check out the Baccano! dub. Top tier.

In other news the second season of Toaru Majutsu no Index is now done. They absolutely must make a third season, because that was not a series finale. At all.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: April 02, 2011, 08:31:31 AM »
Starting the first season of Baccano now on Netflix.  Think I'll just watch one episode before I break down and eat breakfast.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #566 on: April 02, 2011, 09:54:59 AM »
*shrug*

I think NGE is the prime example of what a bad dub can do to an anime, Elfen Lied is another example. On the other side, if you want to see what a really good dub can do for an anime, check out the Baccano! dub. Top tier.

Again, I thought Elfen Lied had such amazing art that I didn't want to look away from it to read subtitles. And I still thought it was an amazing series, regardless of any bad voice acting I noticed.

It's definitely an important aspect, but I don't think it's really ever been awful enough (from what I've seen) to bring down an entire show for me. Besides, the other option is to listen to it in Japanese, in which case I would have no idea if the voice acting was good or bad anyways (that's probably an advantage), but again, arty arty art art.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: April 02, 2011, 09:59:30 AM »
I'm with Chris, most series I've seen aren't filled with atrocious voice acting, there's usually just one person that makes me want to rip out my ears and that's it (Nunalee from Code Geass, I'm looking at you).  But the rest of cast is good enough that I don't notice. 

In fact, one of the things I'm already liking about Baccano, despite only watching one episode, is that all the voices have been good so far.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #568 on: April 02, 2011, 10:01:31 AM »
I think more than just plain bad voice acting, what annoys me most in dubbed anime is that there is apparently only a dozen english voice actors in the world that you hear in

Every.

Anime.

Ever.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: April 02, 2011, 02:05:40 PM »
I'm with Chris, most series I've seen aren't filled with atrocious voice acting, there's usually just one person that makes me want to rip out my ears and that's it (Nunalee from Code Geass, I'm looking at you).  But the rest of cast is good enough that I don't notice. 

In fact, one of the things I'm already liking about Baccano, despite only watching one episode, is that all the voices have been good so far.

Baccano is awesome and has probably the best dub ever, imo.

I think more than just plain bad voice acting, what annoys me most in dubbed anime is that there is apparently only a dozen english voice actors in the world that you hear in

Every.

Anime.

Ever.

I don't think I've ever seen a show that doesn't have Crispin Freeman, Yuri Lowenthal, Johnny Yong Bosch, or Kari Wahlgren in it.

Speaking of those actors and good dub jobs, Durarara!! is an awesome show with a really great dub that I would recommend to anyone  :tup

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #570 on: April 02, 2011, 08:02:44 PM »
Baccano's dubbing is EXCELLENT. I think, for the first time, I can equally watch an anime in English or Japanese without wanting TO CLAW OUT MY EARS.

Seriously, who casts these things? How can anyone do SUCH a bad job with something like that?

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #571 on: April 03, 2011, 09:25:45 AM »
I started Durarara!!

Lost track after a few episodes though, does it get better?

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: April 03, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
I found that Durarara!! got better with each and every episode. Izaya is awesome.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #573 on: April 04, 2011, 03:27:31 PM »
I'll have to re-watch Baccano so I understand the damned thing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: April 04, 2011, 03:59:36 PM »
I'm nine episodes into Baccano now.  I have a sneaking suspicion that they found the guy who plays Joey Wheeler on Yu-Gi-Oh! and got him to do about ten different decent stereotypical New York accents with five that are actually good. 

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #575 on: April 08, 2011, 07:17:47 PM »
So...that's really how Neon Genesis Evangelion ends?

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: April 08, 2011, 10:10:38 PM »

...my name is Araragi.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #577 on: April 08, 2011, 10:40:06 PM »
No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_of_evangelion

Now.

THE FATE OF MY OPINION OF THIS SHOW RESTS IN THE HANDS OF THIS FILM

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #578 on: April 09, 2011, 12:29:42 AM »
I love how the movie and the TV ending can pretty much go hand in hand. My appreciation of the TV ending really jumped after watching the movie, then watching the TV end.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: April 09, 2011, 05:46:01 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS

...my name is Araragi.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #580 on: April 09, 2011, 08:08:35 AM »
No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_of_evangelion

Now.

THE FATE OF MY OPINION OF THIS SHOW RESTS IN THE HANDS OF THIS FILM
End of Eva is pretty awesome... ly fucked up. Set your brain for meltdown!

I love how the movie and the TV ending can pretty much go hand in hand. My appreciation of the TV ending really jumped after watching the movie, then watching the TV end.
I agree with this. I hated the TV ending when I first saw it, but after watching End of Eva.... I hate it less now.

« Reply #581 on: April 09, 2011, 09:42:09 AM »
EoE was actually supposed to be the TV ending. You can see clips of it during the episode 24 credits for the preview of the next episode.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #582 on: April 09, 2011, 10:04:57 AM »
I thought they hit a budget problem (ie no money) and that's (partially) why the last two episodes ended up the way they did?

« Reply #583 on: April 09, 2011, 10:13:29 AM »
Well budget, censorship issues, time constraints, ect. The original idea for the episodes was something more along the lines of EoE, and if you look the TV ending even has some parallel scenes with the movie (Auska in the bottom of a lake in the Eva).

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #584 on: April 09, 2011, 10:14:14 AM »
Alright, so [SPOILERS??]Shinji did not restore the world to the way it was, but he made it so that individual souls could exist again eventually? Not sure what exactly was accomplished in all of it[/SPOILERS]

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: April 09, 2011, 10:16:41 AM »
Alright, so [SPOILERS??]Shinji did not restore the world to the way it was, but he made it so that individual souls could exist again eventually? Not sure what exactly was accomplished in all of it[/SPOILERS]

That's the most common interpretation. You should check out RahXephon. I think you'd like it. (This coming from someone who is pretty much the polar opposite of you taste-wise but, meh).

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: April 09, 2011, 12:17:22 PM »
So I finished Baccano! yesterday.  It was pretty good.  Agree that the voice acting was pretty strong.  Going to see if Durarara!! is on Netflix based on Genowyn's compliments towards the dub. 

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #587 on: April 09, 2011, 12:43:04 PM »
Alright, I'm ready for another anime, but I'd like to mix it up and have something that doesn't involve huge mechanoid things. But it still has to be good. And it would help if it was a series with a beginning and end (which I assume almost all anime are) also, it can be humorous or action packed or whatever,

I just NEED!

IT!

TO BE!

GOOD!

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #588 on: April 09, 2011, 02:13:34 PM »
Likewise. Volk and I need a new anime. We finished Baccano - we need more ideas guys!  :laugh:

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: April 09, 2011, 02:32:05 PM »
So I finished Baccano! yesterday.  It was pretty good.  Agree that the voice acting was pretty strong.  Going to see if Durarara!! is on Netflix based on Genowyn's compliments towards the dub.  

It won't be, the DVDs are still coming out and cost like $60 apiece...for 8 episodes per...

Well, I think if you watch Rebuild of Evangelion you'll start to get a better idea of what's going on...as a friend of mine who is a much bigger eva nerd than I am explained to me: It's all a time loop. The current loop is Rebuild of Evangelion, and we can see from the actions of certain characters that RoE is ABSOLUTELY a sequel of sorts and NOT a remake...particularly Kaworu makes this painfully obvious. The theory as I heard it is that after every instrumentality, Shinji recreates the world from scratch, and we get another loop...so episodes 25+26 were one loop, then EoE is a second loop, RoE is another one, and all of the alternate universe manga and games we have seen are different loops as well. Now, what the ultimate goal of this loop is I'm not sure...is it to have Shinji accept Instrumentality or to reject and manage to stop it? Personally I would like to see RoE end with Instrumentality not coming to pass, but who knows.

Alright, I'm ready for another anime, but I'd like to mix it up and have something that doesn't involve huge mechanoid things. But it still has to be good. And it would help if it was a series with a beginning and end (which I assume almost all anime are) also, it can be humorous or action packed or whatever,

I just NEED!

IT!

TO BE!

GOOD!

I've got all sorts of recommendations for you, but if you insist on dubs I will need some time to think about it  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 02:39:13 PM by Genowyn »

...my name is Araragi.

« Reply #590 on: April 09, 2011, 03:12:13 PM »
Regarding Eva:

The whole time loop idea is something pretty unique to just RoE. For NGE, it was never intended to have any time loop or any of that. EoE is when Shinji rejects instrumentality, and accepts life for what it is. I think in RoE they added all the time loop stuff to keep long time fans interested in the movies.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: April 09, 2011, 05:43:51 PM »
Regarding Eva:

The whole time loop idea is something pretty unique to just RoE. For NGE, it was never intended to have any time loop or any of that. EoE is when Shinji rejects instrumentality, and accepts life for what it is. I think in RoE they added all the time loop stuff to keep long time fans interested in the movies.

Well yeah, I meant "Now that RoE is part of it". I think even without that aspect, RoE is worth seeing. That scene with Unit 04 in the second film...*shiver*

...my name is Araragi.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #592 on: April 09, 2011, 05:47:13 PM »
I guess I don't exactly insist on dubs. Just give me something good, I'm sure subtitles wouldn't bother me.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #593 on: April 09, 2011, 05:53:54 PM »
I guess I don't exactly insist on dubs. Just give me something good, I'm sure subtitles wouldn't bother me.

Go watch Baccano. Has comedy, action, and a pretty intersting story/storyline. Its fun keeping track of what episode youre watching
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: April 09, 2011, 06:01:23 PM »

Well, how about my Top 5:

5) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Dub Quality: Meh

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a sort of sci-fi/romance/comedy anime about a high school girl who is obsessed with the supernatural. The first thing she says to her classmates is "If anyone in this class is an alien, time traveler, esper, or slider, come talk to me, otherwise, don't bother." The protagonist then unwittingly convinces her to create a club to investigate the supernatural.

4) Elfen Lied
Dub Quality: Awful

You've seen it, I think. Moving on...

3) Bakemonogatari (translates sort of as MonStory or GhoStory...bakemono=monster, monogatari=story)
Dub quality: Non-existant

Bakemonogatari is about a high school boy who is a former vampire. The format of the show is that there are 5 arcs, each arc focusing on a girl. In each arc, the girl in question is being tormented in some way by some variety of animal-based demon. With the help of a sort of supernatural detective guy who helped cure him of vampirism, he helps these girls with their respective demons. Despite how it may sound that's not really what the show's ABOUT...it's like 75% dialogue, and 50% of that is just banter. It's extremely entertaining and rather romantic, and I love it.

2) Kara no Kyoukai (Boundary of Emptiness)
Dub quality: Non-existant

Kara no Kyoukai is about a woman named Ryougi Shiki. Shiki has an ability called "Mystic Eyes of Death Perception", which allows her to see the 'deaths' of people and objects. These manifest as lines. If she cuts someone/thing along these lines they will be killed and/or destroyed. She works for a woman named Aozaki Touko who has her fight supernatural stuff. There's a lot more to it than that but if I get any more detailed it will be spoilers. Let's just say a lot of mindfuck and badassery.

1) Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (When the Cicada Cries)
Dub quality: Awful, and iirc incomplete

Higurashi is about a young man who moves to a small rural village with his family, and things are not exactly as they seem. I honestly can't get into more detail than that because I would spoil something. Suffice it to say that everything this show sets out to do (except for the animation, which is horrifically bad in the first season, but then gets a little better as it goes on), be it comedy, horror, or tragedy, it does perfectly and extremely effectively. Great characters, great plot, all around great. Can't recommend enough.

Go watch Baccano. Has comedy, action, and a pretty intersting story/storyline. Its fun keeping track of what episode youre watching

Baccano! is also an excellent recommendation, top 20 show for me.

Also, here is a list of pretty much every anime I have ever seen and what rating /10 I would give it:

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/genowyn
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:15:31 PM by Genowyn »

...my name is Araragi.