Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 228194 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #525 on: January 28, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
Guys, seriously.

I am not fucking around right now when I say that everyone...EVERYONE...needs to watch Puella Magi Madoka Magica. This show is to the Magical Girl genre what Evangelion was to Mecha.

You have:
Writing by Urobuchi Gen (of Nitro+, most notable works being Saya no Uta and the light novel series Fate/Zero [also being adapted into an anime])
Music by Kajirua Yuki (most notably, for me, composer of Kara no Kyoukai)
Animation by SHAFT (notorious for fucked-upness, they are responsible for Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei!, Bakemonogatari, and Arakawa Under the Bridge, which are some of the best animes to come out in recent years)
Directed by Shinbo Akiyuki (Arakawa Under the Bridge, Negima, Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha, Hidamari Sketch)

In other words, a fucking dream team of anime staff.

This is one of those things where if I try to explain to you why this show is so good and why you NEED TO WATCH IT, I will spoil it. Please just take my word for it. Watch 3-4 episodes. Prepare for greatness.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:20:41 AM by Genowyn »

...my name is Araragi.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #526 on: January 29, 2011, 12:02:35 AM »

My favorite scene in Perfect Blue is when the elevator comes down with the radio in it, playing the song by the pop group. Creepy as fuck.

That was creepy.  The whole movie just never let you get a foothold on what was going on.  I was glued for the whole time I was watching it.  Very intense movie.

BTW, Reading this thread reminds me how much anime there is out there  :eek
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #527 on: January 29, 2011, 05:45:53 AM »
So I finished watching Kara No Kyoukai the other day. It was pretty good, but the end was very meh. My least favourite of the anime I've watched so far, I'm afraid.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #528 on: January 29, 2011, 07:14:22 AM »
So I finished watching Kara No Kyoukai the other day. It was pretty good, but the end was very meh. My least favourite of the anime I've watched so far, I'm afraid.

KnK is my second favorite anime D:

What was it that you found 'meh' about the ending?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #529 on: January 31, 2011, 03:02:10 AM »
I don't know, the very ending (the last five or six minutes or so) were, in some way, very predictable, but it was kind of illogical at the same time because of the things Mikiya said before. Oh well.

The last three episodes of it are pretty cool, but the first one is severely lacking in appeal. Plus, some things aren't picked up again (Shiki's artificial limbs, for example), which makes me wonder a bit.

I started watching Phantom yesterday and I quite like it so far.

Mentlegen.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: January 31, 2011, 08:58:52 AM »
I haven't seen it in a while so all I particularly remember about the ending is "Ryougi kills Lio and then her and Mikiya live happily ever after"  :lol

Personally I would rank the films like so: 5>7>3>2>1>4>6

I found the sixth film unbearably boring, but apparently the book was better (apparently there had originally been some sort of rape subplot that was cut out of the film which actually made it make more sense).

What about Ryougi's arm didn't get resolved? It originally was broken by Asagami Fujino, then Touko made her a new one, then she had to cut that arm off during the fight with the ghost chick, and Touko made her another one.

(you may note that I always refer to Shiki by her last name, this is because in the type-moon fandom anyone named Shiki needs to be referred to by last name to avoid confusion, like, "Remember when Shiki killed that guy with a knife?" "Which Shiki? Shiki Tohno? Shiki Nanaya? Shiki Ryougi?" "Remember when Shiki raped Arcueid?" "I don't remember her doing that")

...my name is Araragi.

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #531 on: January 31, 2011, 01:18:48 PM »
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is one of the best shows I've seen in a while.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #532 on: January 31, 2011, 01:19:25 PM »
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is one of the best shows I've seen in a while.

Great to hear that you like it. :tup

Mentlegen.

« Reply #533 on: January 31, 2011, 01:52:37 PM »

Great to hear that you like it. :tup
I haven't finished it since I was watching the dubbed version. How good is the subbed version of it, are the voices pretty different?

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #534 on: January 31, 2011, 01:56:08 PM »
I've only seen the subbed version, so I'm not able to tell you anything about it. But the subs are, as far as I can tell, very good, and the funny stuff in the original is just hilarious (mostly because it relies on the language and the tone).

Mentlegen.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #535 on: January 31, 2011, 01:58:20 PM »
Just found this thread. I'm starting to get into anime again after a year of not watching any. I'm personally a fan of the less serious animes. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, and Azumanga Daioh are some favourites of the non serious ones.

« Reply #536 on: January 31, 2011, 02:14:24 PM »
Might check out the sub. But sometimes the transitions between voices is just to weird, like the difference from the DBZ dub and original voices.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #537 on: January 31, 2011, 03:30:16 PM »
I watched all of the original FMA dubbed, and the first 20 or so episodes of Brotherhood dubbed as well. Then I got tired of waiting for them to finish the dub, and watched the rest subbed. Took a little while to get over the transition, but the sub is just as enjoyable I think (even though the dub is fantastic, imo).

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: January 31, 2011, 04:18:33 PM »
Just found this thread. I'm starting to get into anime again after a year of not watching any. I'm personally a fan of the less serious animes. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, and Azumanga Daioh are some favourites of the non serious ones.

I love all of those shows and Haruhi is one of my favorite animes. Have you seen the movie?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #539 on: January 31, 2011, 05:56:28 PM »
I watched all of the original FMA dubbed, and the first 20 or so episodes of Brotherhood dubbed as well. Then I got tired of waiting for them to finish the dub, and watched the rest subbed. Took a little while to get over the transition, but the sub is just as enjoyable I think (even though the dub is fantastic, imo).

Brotherhood I got each episode dubbed the day it was out in Japan :D

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #540 on: January 31, 2011, 07:31:14 PM »

I love all of those shows and Haruhi is one of my favorite animes. Have you seen the movie?
I haven't. :o Sounds interesting though, I'll have to check out when I can.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: January 31, 2011, 10:08:08 PM »

Brotherhood I got each episode dubbed the day it was out in Japan :D

Nice trick.

I haven't. :o Sounds interesting though, I'll have to check out when I can.

The movie is absolutely phenomenal. Not VERY funny, more in line with the more serious episodes but just great in every way. Beautiful animation, great music, and the story is amazing. Make sure you see the second season before you watch it, though.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #542 on: February 20, 2011, 03:24:41 AM »
Alright. Time to actually watch Death Note and count the number of times I think of Lelouch.
caw caw

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #543 on: February 20, 2011, 01:02:29 PM »
Finished Code Geass. Very bitter-sweet ending.  :(

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #544 on: February 20, 2011, 01:17:27 PM »
Watched a few episodes of FMA since I always hear people talking about it. Tbh, I dont see why so far. Its definately solid, but I see nothing special or really outstanding about it so far.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: February 20, 2011, 04:08:29 PM »
Watched a few episodes of FMA since I always hear people talking about it. Tbh, I dont see why so far. Its definately solid, but I see nothing special or really outstanding about it so far.

Are you watching the original series or the good one? :neverusethis:

Oh, and the reason why it's so awesome can be summed up in a single image:

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #546 on: February 20, 2011, 04:25:25 PM »

Are you watching the original series or the good one? :neverusethis:

Umm, I guess the original?

https://www.youtube.com/show?p=bOtvdMRvim8&feature=fvsp

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #547 on: February 21, 2011, 12:18:19 AM »
Get to Brotherhood as soon as you can.

Mentlegen.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: February 21, 2011, 06:27:25 PM »
Get to Brotherhood as soon as you can.

What I would recommend is to watch the original series until about episode 26...when a certain someone dies.

Then switch over to Brotherhood. That way you get the full experience (after 26 is when the original series started to diverge really hard. Everything pre-26 is useful character development that gets compressed out of the new version)

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #549 on: March 03, 2011, 08:50:58 PM »
Bump.

Rewatching Trigun. Havent watched it in years, but I loved it ;D

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: March 03, 2011, 09:01:42 PM »
Nah, come on. Trigun? Listen.

Guys.

All of you, seriously.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Watch it.

I don't care if you don't like magical girls. I don't like magical girls.

I don't care if you don't like dark anime, but if you don't then whatever, you won't like this show, and you suck.

This is, by a large margin, the best anime I have watched in years (that's not to say it's my favorite, but it's pretty high up there [and what I mean is that this show is very artsy and pretentious and dark and all that good stuff, but there are other shows that have entertained me more {not that Madoka is not entertaining}])

Noone really seems to listen to my anime recommendations anyway, but if you are going to start...

THIS ONE

...my name is Araragi.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #551 on: March 19, 2011, 11:23:01 AM »
So I finished watching Umineko No Naku Koro Ni today. The concept is awesome (I'm sure that I'm not the only one being reminded of Phoenix Wright from Ace Attorney when Battler kept shouting his arguments and "blue truths" at Beatrice), I loved the second and the third part and especially the last four episodes.

However, never have I seen any TV show that had such potential getting borderline ruined by one single character. Seriously, those antics Maria Ushiromiya had made many episodes almost unbearable. If she had a personality that was blander, but more tolerable, this series would have been one of my favourites. But the way it is... shame, really.

Mentlegen.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #552 on: March 19, 2011, 11:24:50 AM »
Almost finished with Baccano!

Love it now that I understand, haha

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: March 19, 2011, 02:05:56 PM »
So I finished watching Umineko No Naku Koro Ni today. The concept is awesome (I'm sure that I'm not the only one being reminded of Phoenix Wright from Ace Attorney when Battler kept shouting his arguments and "blue truths" at Beatrice), I loved the second and the third part and especially the last four episodes.

However, never have I seen any TV show that had such potential getting borderline ruined by one single character. Seriously, those antics Maria Ushiromiya had made many episodes almost unbearable. If she had a personality that was blander, but more tolerable, this series would have been one of my favourites. But the way it is... shame, really.

Maria ruined Umineko? Are you sure it wasn't the crappy animation and the fact that they tried to cram a like 100 hour game into a 24 episode anime?  :lol

Personally on top of new anime coming out (not that any came out this week, cuz, y'know), I have been watching Kimi ni Todoke. I'm quite sure this show is for girls but I still like it.

There are things I learned from playing the game for like 15 minutes that never got addressed in the show but are rather important :p

...my name is Araragi.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #554 on: March 20, 2011, 06:07:55 AM »
I didn't mind the animation that much, and although the plot left many questions unresolved, it wasn't as bad as Maria's general behaviour. So yes, I'm sure. :biggrin:

Mentlegen.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: March 20, 2011, 08:44:40 AM »
Well there is still the second game (Umineko no Naku Koro Ni Chiru) which should be finished soon and DEEN already has the rights to...hopefully they'll explain some things that they didn't before.

And being that you hate Maria so much, have a present:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PzilquQlBE

:neverusethis:

Also, this was the moment when I stopped taking this show seriously:

...my name is Araragi.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: March 20, 2011, 10:21:57 AM »
Rewatching the first FMA series again.  Oh high school nostalgia.  I don't know what it is about the Brotherhood English dub, but the voices are just slightly off from the way I remember them from the original series.  Also I might have been too used to the subbed version on hulu.  Ah well.  Happy to watch these all again.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #557 on: March 20, 2011, 01:30:56 PM »
Funny; I started re-watching FMA:Brotherhood yesterday. Such a good anime.

Mentlegen.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: March 20, 2011, 05:40:48 PM »
Rewatching the first FMA series again.  Oh high school nostalgia.  I don't know what it is about the Brotherhood English dub, but the voices are just slightly off from the way I remember them from the original series.  Also I might have been too used to the subbed version on hulu.  Ah well.  Happy to watch these all again.

My brother refuses to watch the subbed version of brotherhood cuz he's used to the English VAs. It really sucks because it's so slow to come out.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: March 23, 2011, 08:06:39 AM »
bump/doublepost:

I just finished Chaos;head (the game, not the anime) and loved it. I wish there were more horror visual novels, because both C;h and Tsukihime were extremely disturbing, something about the format of a visual novel really works for horror.

Now I'm watching the anime, because my friends are too lazy to read visual novels and this is the only way I can get them to experience the story. So far my impressions of the anime is that the animation is horrible and the opening is not as good as the one from the game. The opening of the anime makes it seem more like some sort of magical girl action show and less like a horror  :lol

Anyway, if anyone around here plays visual novels I definitely recommend Chaos;head.

...my name is Araragi.