Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 228179 times)

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2009, 12:58:28 PM »
NEON GENESIS EVANGELION
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2009, 01:12:10 PM »
Seen that  :lol

Ok, to clarify a bit, I've seen most 'mainstream' animes, the stuff that gets shown on Adult Swim and whatnot, beyond that I don't know much.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2009, 03:00:15 PM »

Ok, to clarify a bit, I've seen most 'mainstream' animes, the stuff that gets shown on Adult Swim and whatnot, beyond that I don't know much.

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (Kai/Rei)

It's absolutely brilliant. There is the occasional silly episode, but over all it's awesome.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2009, 03:41:04 PM »

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (Kai/Rei)

It's absolutely brilliant. There is the occasional silly episode, but over all it's awesome.
Looks like there's a few different series, which one do I start with, or does it matter? The wiki page is kinda confusing me.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2009, 10:18:33 PM »
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni is the first series, Kai completes the story that the original started, and Rei is a couple of OVAs that occur after the main series.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline JoeBob

• I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2009, 10:51:16 PM »
NEON GENESIS EVANGELION

Probably tied for my favorite anime along with Cowboy Bebop.

Really everything to say about Evangelion was said in the old anime thread.
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2009, 04:12:01 PM »
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni is the first series, Kai completes the story that the original started, and Rei is a couple of OVAs that occur after the main series.
First episode was kinda meh, but now after the second episode I'm definitely intrigued. I think I'll like this series  :tup

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2009, 06:07:11 AM »
I've got time to kill, so how about a suggestion for what to watch for me? I'm looking for something more dark and serious, like Death Note or Elfen Lied. Something with some depth. Preferably not a very long series, and something that's complete (not still ongoing).

I haven't seen too many animes, so just name anything and odds are I haven't seen it.

Death Note.  DO IT NOW.

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2009, 06:16:06 AM »
I strongly recommend Monster.

Probably the best anime series i've seen.

I'm also a big fan of Hajime no Ippo, which is a boxing anime and is very addictive.

My favourite anime films:

Akira
Ninja Scroll
Perfect Blue
Ghost in the Shell
Innocence
Street Fighter
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2009, 08:46:08 AM »
I've got time to kill, so how about a suggestion for what to watch for me? I'm looking for something more dark and serious, like Death Note or Elfen Lied. Something with some depth. Preferably not a very long series, and something that's complete (not still ongoing).

I haven't seen too many animes, so just name anything and odds are I haven't seen it.

Death Note.  DO IT NOW.
I've seen Death Note, it's one of my favorites, why else would I be looking for something "like Death Note"  :lol

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2009, 09:05:48 AM »
This anime I'm watching is very fucked up sometimes, I love it. Just finished the third 'arc' or whatever. Not sure what the deal is yet with the repeating story lines, but its neat.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2009, 04:39:57 PM »
Just started Ergo Proxy, about 5 episodes in. Really fantastic so far.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2009, 04:45:19 PM »

Ahh, wonderful choice, Sigz. Ergo is my fourth favorite anime. Beautifully animated, voice actors are top notch, and while the storyline may seem a bit convoluted at times, its nothing short of fantastic all around. Also home to one of my favorite soundtracks.  :tup

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2009, 04:47:08 PM »

Ahh, wonderful choice, Sigz. Ergo is my fourth favorite anime. Beautifully animated, voice actors are top notch, and while the storyline may seem a bit convoluted at times, its nothing short of fantastic all around. Also home to one of my favorite soundtracks.  :tup

Yeah, the animation is gorgeous. It was a pleasant surprise to see it directed by the guy who did Witch Hunter Robin as well; I love that anime. Right now it's subbed, would you recommend getting the dubbed version instead?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2009, 04:56:29 PM »

Yeah, the animation is gorgeous. It was a pleasant surprise to see it directed by the guy who did Witch Hunter Robin as well; I love that anime. Right now it's subbed, would you recommend getting the dubbed version instead?

I'm a bit biased on that subject, as I almost always (only exceptions being Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, not-so-coincidentally) prefer the original Japanese dialogue. However, both Ergo Proxy and Witch Hunter Robin are fairly top notch voice acting with English dubs. Ergo gets a bit cheesy at times during the more intense action scenes, but Witch Hunter was pretty consistent. As I said, my belief is that Japanese voice actors really bring the characters to life, and do an all around fantastic job. While I wish I could say the same for American voice actors, one can see that at times they clearly see it as just a job and the emotion (along with the quality) is lost. But if someone were to watch Ergo and Witch Hunter with English dubs, I'd say it wouldn't be all too bad.

RIP DTP.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2009, 03:10:08 AM »
Ergo Proxy = Infuckingcredible
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2009, 03:33:27 PM »
I honestly never cared whether I watched anime in English or Japanese.  The only time I'll look for subbed anime is if the English voice acting's REALLY bad.  Like, One Piece bad.  I can deal with most English voice actors that do ACTUAL anime (none of that Ash Ketchum crap).  The only English voice to annoy me recently is the woman who plays Nunnalee on Code Geass season 1.  God I hate her voice.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2009, 04:05:40 PM »
I am watching an anime show that there is only one season of in english, but it is an addicting show.  I am not naming it here because it is much too embarrassing.
why must we spoil this otherwise awesome message board with an anime thread

:(

why

Agree to disagree. You can't wrap your mind around how one can enjoy an animated series (though comparing it to American cartoons is just silly), and I can't grasp why one would clearly come here only to provoke the people that do like anime. Well done. You've accomplished...nothing. Except touting your own childish mindset and pissing off a few anime fans. If you're going to bash something, do it with more grace and intelligence next time as opposed to typing up something my 14 year old sister could.
 :flame:

In other news, I just finished the 8th episode of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood and I'm loving it more and more. It most definitely emits a vibe closer to that of the manga than the original series did. Each has it's own pros and cons but I'm liking Brotherhood more thus far. Charming and witty.
I take offense
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 04:12:31 PM by icysk8r »
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2009, 04:17:44 PM »
I am watching an anime show that there is only one season of in english, but it is an addicting show.  I am not naming it here because it is much too embarrassing.

why

Agree to disagree. You can't wrap your mind around how one can enjoy an animated series (though comparing it to American cartoons is just silly), and I can't grasp why one would clearly come here only to provoke the people that do like anime. Well done. You've accomplished...nothing. Except touting your own childish mindset and pissing off a few anime fans. If you're going to bash something, do it with more grace and intelligence next time as opposed to typing up something my 14 year old sister could.

In other news, I just finished the 8th episode of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood and I'm loving it more and more. It most definitely emits a vibe closer to that of the manga than the original series did. Each has it's own pros and cons but I'm liking Brotherhood more thus far. Charming and witty.
I take offense

My apologies, buddeh. *Caresses head with the utmost, intense love*

Oh, do name! There is no shame here. Sailor Moon? Pokemans? Chobits? Love Hina? I've seen 'em all (not even close, really. But a shitload) my friend, both embarrassing to the public eye and to myself. I sometime ask "wtf am I watching?". Alas, if one enjoys, it matters not.  :tup

RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2009, 08:17:36 AM »
Why would someone be ashamed of Chobits?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2009, 01:09:27 PM »

why

I take offense

Oh, do name! There is no shame here. Sailor Moon? Pokemans? Chobits? Love Hina? I've seen 'em all (not even close, really. But a shitload) my friend, both embarrassing to the public eye and to myself. I sometime ask "wtf am I watching?". Alas, if one enjoys, it matters not.  :tup
um.  ohshc.  there are the initials.  :blush
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2009, 01:40:10 PM »

why

I take offense

um.  ohshc.  there are the initials.  :blush

Ah, Ouran High School Host Club, nothing to be ashamed of!  :angel: Great shojo manga. I've never seen the anime but if you get through the entire series, tell me what you think, it'd be another good addition to the growing list. Shojo isn't really my thing, but I've read a few very intricate, well thought, well constructed manga that have caught more than just my attention. Good stuff.

RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2009, 01:00:35 AM »
I really, really hope the next haruhi episode finishes this stupid time loop crap or I will be annoyed. The new episode was like the exact same as the previous one! They didn't even make any progress!

Also, I've finished Excel Saga (oh god that was a load of unfunny crap), Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Berserk (in english, rewatching subbed). Currently rewatching Berserk in japanese, watching Serial Experiments Lain and Code Geass. After those, probably Outlaw Star.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2009, 04:59:45 AM »
I finally got hold of some macross frontier subtitles...

HOLY LASERS BATMAN!  :eek

My favourite part so far was in one episode where the main character transforms into his mech then just yells "EAT THIS" and launches about 50 missiles that obliterate everything, and the camera follows each group of missiles  :hat

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2009, 05:19:25 AM »
Not sure if any of you are familiar with the AMV Hell series, but they've just released the first episode of "AMV Minis", basically they're trying to put out a shorter video rather frequently instead of one that's like an hour and a half every year.

If you're not familiar with it, do yourself a favour and check it out. It's very funny, for the most part, although there is the occasional spoiler, every episode has a list of all animes referenced in it, so if you are in the middle of watching one and don't want it spoiled, you can just skip the section or whatever.

Either way, you can find them here: https://www.amvhell.com

Also, dunno if any of you watch Haruhi but apparently this Endless Eight arc is gonna go on for a total of 6 episodes (2 more), here's hoping something interesting happens in the next one instead of being the exact same episode with slightly different lines and camera angles. Also, apparently they're not doing the Vanishment arc this season. I really hope Haruhi doesn't become one of "those" animes that arbitrarily continues forever (I'm looking at you Naruto/Bleach/One Piece).

This anime I'm watching is very fucked up sometimes, I love it. Just finished the third 'arc' or whatever. Not sure what the deal is yet with the repeating story lines, but its neat.

How's this going, by the way?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2009, 12:18:23 PM »
Anyone heard of a movie called The Sky Crawlers?

I keep on seeing a preview for it at the store I work at (on the floor model tv's) and it looks pretty interesting and the visuals look really nice.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline JoeBob

« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2009, 08:30:57 PM »

I keep on seeing a preview for it at the store I work at (on the floor model tv's) and it looks pretty interesting and the visuals look really nice.

I've heard of it and been tempted to purchase it from time to time as it's directed by Mamoru Oshii, the same guy who did the Ghost In the Shell movies.  The art reminds me a lot of Last Exile.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2009, 06:35:10 PM »

How's this going, by the way?
I'm about halfway through the second series, the plots sorta all falling into place now, pretty cool. I agree with you that its a brilliantly told story.

Been a while since I last watched it though, I should finish it up.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2009, 11:12:49 AM »
I watched School Days yesterday, and crap...both the protagonist and the ending are really fucked up.   :|
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2009, 01:30:40 PM »
I watched School Days yesterday, and crap...both the protagonist and the ending are really fucked up.   :|

I've been watching this...seems pretty interesting so far.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2009, 01:37:53 PM »
The series are highly enjoyable, it just that it starts to get really intense after a while.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2009, 12:46:39 AM »

I've heard of it and been tempted to purchase it from time to time as it's directed by Mamoru Oshii, the same guy who did the Ghost In the Shell movies.  The art reminds me a lot of Last Exile.

Did you finish it? What'd you think?

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2009, 12:55:05 PM »
God, Haruhi is getting on my nerves with this arc. At least this time they had a joke referencing NGE. It'd better be done next time.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline JoeBob

« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2009, 03:49:01 PM »

Did you finish it? What'd you think?

Yep, loved it.  Not an all time fav, but it was definitely worth the purchase.  It had some of the most gorgeous visuals I've ever seen.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2009, 04:03:48 PM »
So sad that nobody mentioned SAILORMOON series. Pretty cool story for me...
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.