Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 228236 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2009, 03:08:22 PM »
Just finished Ghost in the Shell SAC - god, the last four episodes or so were phenomonal (along with the rest of the series).
:tup
Now go watch Second Gig. It's wonderful.

I watched the first episode, but then decided to watch Elfen Lied first.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2009, 05:51:21 PM »
This thread needs more Higurashi (no naku koro ni).

Seriously, it's a murder mystery. With 6 arcs. The first 3 'question arcs' show the events happening differently, but similar outcomes, confusing you more, adding more characters, then the second 3 (the 'answer') arcs explain the three arcs.

I can't really explain how amazing it is, just get hold of it. (the anime that is, the manga was only partially translated, and the visual novel partially done too, while the anime is 100% subbed)

Or atleast look up the plot online (without spoilers, else you will kill yourself).

But it's got the best, biggest twists in anything I've ever seen. I spent weeks and weeks agonising over what would happen, and basically all the predictions were wrong :<
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 03:48:40 PM by faemir »

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2009, 02:38:53 AM »
Allright, so I'm a little past being halfway done with Elfen Lied. All I can say is holy shit. This is one of the most twisted series I have ever seen. It's incredible, but fuck.

SPOILERSSSSSSSSSS***********

I just saw the episode where the kids killed the dog, and then Lucy slaughtered them. fuck.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2009, 01:56:25 PM »
Allright, so I'm a little past being halfway done with Elfen Lied. All I can say is holy shit. This is one of the most twisted series I have ever seen. It's incredible, but fuck.

SPOILERSSSSSSSSSS***********

I just saw the episode where the kids killed the dog, and then Lucy slaughtered them. fuck.
That episode creeped me the fuck out when I first saw it.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2009, 09:51:34 PM »
Just finished Elfen Lied. That was one of the best things I have ever seen. Ever.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2009, 04:45:43 AM »
Just finished Elfen Lied. That was one of the best things I have ever seen. Ever.

I have no idea what things you have seen but I agree.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2009, 07:34:17 AM »

He's referring to Lucy's tits, obviously.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2009, 08:28:41 AM »

He's referring to Lucy's tits, obviously.

Obviously.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2009, 12:03:13 PM »
 :facepalm:

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2009, 10:29:38 AM »
I've started watching Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and Azumanga Daioh...the latter of which is a superb way to kill brain cells.

Liking both so far.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2009, 11:09:43 AM »
I've started watching Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and Azumanga Daioh...the latter of which is a superb way to kill brain cells.

Liking both so far.

*Hands over the 'copious amounts of win award' trophy.*

Offline JoeBob

• I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2009, 09:26:09 PM »
Just bought Last Exile on DVD and am watching it now.  It's pretty awesome so far, thanks for the recommendation Sigz.
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2009, 09:32:34 PM »
Just bought Last Exile on DVD and am watching it now.  It's pretty awesome so far, thanks for the recommendation Sigz.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2009, 08:36:39 AM »
There's a new episode of Haruhi out.

Totally awesome :o

...my name is Araragi.

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2009, 05:14:30 PM »
why must we spoil this otherwise awesome message board with an anime thread

:(

why

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2009, 05:23:31 PM »
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ANIME

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2009, 05:29:15 PM »

why

All anime is just japanese cartoons.  We enjoy them just like a 10-year-old might like Spongebob Squarepants.  What's wrong with that?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2009, 05:40:59 PM »
Moving on from the troll, I've started watching Paranoia Agent. I watched maybe the first third or so back when it aired on CN, but I never finished it. Very, very bizarre show.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2009, 05:46:10 PM »

why

Agree to disagree. You can't wrap your mind around how one can enjoy an animated series (though comparing it to American cartoons is just silly), and I can't grasp why one would clearly come here only to provoke the people that do like anime. Well done. You've accomplished...nothing. Except touting your own childish mindset and pissing off a few anime fans. If you're going to bash something, do it with more grace and intelligence next time as opposed to typing up something my 14 year old sister could.
 :flame:

In other news, I just finished the 8th episode of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood and I'm loving it more and more. It most definitely emits a vibe closer to that of the manga than the original series did. Each has it's own pros and cons but I'm liking Brotherhood more thus far. Charming and witty.

Moving on from the troll, I've started watching Paranoia Agent. I watched maybe the first third or so back when it aired on CN, but I never finished it. Very, very bizarre show.

Oh, you have no idea. I've watched the series at least 4 or 5 times and I still cannot fully comprehend its storyline. It seems so convoluted and random, and yet there is most definitely a strict theme to it...I just have no idea what it entails.  :P Wonderful animation and artwork though.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline JoeBob

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2009, 06:01:32 PM »
I need to watch all of Paranoia Agent as well.  I saw like 3 random episodes when it was on CN and would like to see the whole thing in order.

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2009, 06:32:07 PM »

why

Agree to disagree. You can't wrap your mind around how one can enjoy an animated series (though comparing it to American cartoons is just silly), and I can't grasp why one would clearly come here only to provoke the people that do like anime. Well done. You've accomplished...nothing. Except touting your own childish mindset and pissing off a few anime fans. If you're going to bash something, do it with more grace and intelligence next time as opposed to typing up something my 14 year old sister could.
lol gonna cry for a troll?
I used to like anime. I understand how one can enjoy an animated series. Not provoking. Chill. And I still fail to realize how Anime is fundamentally any different from american cartoons anyway.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2009, 06:46:11 PM »

why

lol gonna cry for a troll?
I used to like anime. I understand how one can enjoy an animated series. Not provoking. Chill. And I still fail to realize how Anime is fundamentally any different from american cartoons anyway.

It was a bit of an overreaction, but if you are going to argue that you were not provoking, you've got another thing coming. It's a load of bullshit to come into a thread and contribute absolutely nothing related to the topic (not only that, but demean the topic) and then pussy out and say you weren't provoking. You had a strict reason for coming in here and posting that. Tell me, what was it if you aren't into anime anymore?

As for you not understanding how anime is different from American cartoons...that in itself is beyond me. Look at Spongebob Squarepants, Ren and Stimpy, Rocket Power, I can go and on if you'd like (or you can Wiki the many American cartoon shows). Now compare those to that of any other anime, truly analyze it, and you'll see character development, underlying elements of a storyline that one can see in novels and feature films that simply aren't present in these American cartoons. Not to say that novels and movies can't be as shallow as American cartoons, but to see the difference is to know why we enjoy anime and you do not.

That's all I'll say, I've gotten off-topic enough as it is. If you have nothing to contribute to this thread, get out and don't post here. It's quite simple. Hold your tongue, that's all.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 07:10:28 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2009, 07:10:50 PM »
it's a load of bullshit to come into a thread and contribute absolutely nothing related to the topic (not only that, but demean the topic)

KEVIN MOORE
truly analyze it, and you'll see character development, underlying elements of a storyline that one can see in novels and feature films that simply aren't present in these American cartoons.
If anyone wants those things, they should logically go to novels and films. Or Real Life.

The rest isn't worth time/effort

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2009, 07:19:46 PM »
I caught the first few episodes of Outlaw Star the other night. Back when Toonami had a decent line up (I'm not sure if it's even in existence any longer), I'd see this show on every now and then, but never really paid any attention to it. It doesn't seem to be too big of an anime, but its entertaining because its obvious the show clearly doesn't take itself seriously. Might have to pick up the rest. Anyone else seen the series in its entirety?

RIP DTP.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2009, 07:31:41 PM »
KEVIN MOORE
truly analyze it, and you'll see character development, underlying elements of a storyline that one can see in novels and feature films that simply aren't present in these American cartoons.
If anyone wants those things, they should logically go to novels and films. Or Real Life.

The rest isn't worth time/effort

This is easily one of the stupidest statements I have ever seen someone make. There are anime series that have incredibly deep plots, fantastic dialogue, and are, simply put, brilliant pieces of art. Saying that that is meaningless simply because you can find a good story in a novel is like saying to never go to Restaurant A that serves good food because Restaurant B also serves good food, even if its a completely different type.

But hey, whatever, if you want to discount an entire style of art due to your own ignorance, go right ahead. But while you're at it stop trolling and get the fuck out of the thread.

I caught the first few episodes of Outlaw Star the other night. Back when Toonami had a decent line up (I'm not sure if it's even in existence any longer), I'd see this show on every now and then, but never really paid any attention to it. It doesn't seem to be too big of an anime, but its entertaining because its obvious the show clearly doesn't take itself seriously. Might have to pick up the rest. Anyone else seen the series in its entirety?

I haven't seen it all the way through, but I've seen a good chunk of it, and it's really enjoyable. My ex-gf loved it.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2009, 07:43:19 PM »

I remember this too...I should start watching this.  This and Cowboy Bebop (which I have never seen :()

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2009, 07:46:49 PM »
This and Cowboy Bebop
Only worthwhile anime

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2009, 07:51:05 PM »
Cowboy Bebop (which I have never seen :()

:|

Offline JoeBob

« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2009, 10:05:15 PM »

Outlaw Star is awesome and definitely worth your time.  I've seen the whole series and love it.  It's very similar to Cowboy Bebop in a lot of ways actually.  Both are about bounty hunters, and both were released in 1998 in Japan.  Outlaw Star is like the less popular little brother of Cowboy Bebop, although it's still very amazing.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2009, 09:03:30 AM »

Outlaw Star is awesome and definitely worth your time.  I've seen the whole series and love it.  It's very similar to Cowboy Bebop in a lot of ways actually.  Both are about bounty hunters, and both were released in 1998 in Japan.  Outlaw Star is like the less popular little brother of Cowboy Bebop, although it's still very amazing.

Agreed.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2009, 10:19:35 PM »
So I just finished watching the last episode of Cowboy Bebop.  Holy crap that show was amazing.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2009, 02:30:46 AM »
I have finished all of the Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (Kai/Rei) that's out so far, I absolutely love this show. I also finished Azumanga Daioh and Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan. I currently have Excel Saga, Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo to watch, probably going to start Serial Experiments Lain and Berserk at some point.

Too many.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2009, 07:12:33 AM »
I have finished all of the Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (Kai/Rei) that's out so far, I absolutely love this show. I also finished Azumanga Daioh and Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan. I currently have Excel Saga, Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo to watch, probably going to start Serial Experiments Lain and Berserk at some point.

Too many.

Code Geass is pretty good.  There are parts that get on my nerves (a lot of the high school scenes do this) but overall its very good.  Kinda like the Rebel Alliance meets Death Note meets Gundam meets Ender's Game.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2009, 11:08:34 AM »
I neglected to mention that I also watched Chobits.

I have been in hardcore weeaboo mode for a while.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2009, 11:28:13 AM »
I've got time to kill, so how about a suggestion for what to watch for me? I'm looking for something more dark and serious, like Death Note or Elfen Lied. Something with some depth. Preferably not a very long series, and something that's complete (not still ongoing).

I haven't seen too many animes, so just name anything and odds are I haven't seen it.