Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 228153 times)

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #1575 on: February 01, 2017, 11:07:36 AM »
Finished it. What the fuck. :lol

That was my exact reaction the first time I watched it.  :lol

Don't bother with Death and Rebirth. Go straight into End of Evangelion.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1576 on: February 01, 2017, 01:56:58 PM »
I mean, I understood what was going on for the most part, but still didn't expect that :P

I'll watch D&R, because I want to recap what happened before tackling EoE.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1577 on: February 02, 2017, 01:31:32 PM »
Welp, finished with it. That was quite a mindfuck, but not really impossible to understand as many have said. So yeah, loved Evangelion  :metal

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1578 on: February 08, 2017, 10:48:59 AM »
OK, now you can start Rebuild :D

Regarding this season, so far I have only been watching Little Witch Academia (though I'm a few episodes behind). I may check out Chaos;child because I like Nitro+ a lot, and I may check out AoEx because I watched the first series.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1579 on: February 08, 2017, 05:14:44 PM »
Regarding this season, so far I have only been watching Little Witch Academia (though I'm a few episodes behind). I may check out Chaos;child because I like Nitro+ a lot, and I may check out AoEx because I watched the first series.

I agree, this season is really weak. The only two shows that really stand out are Konosuba Season 2 and Little Witch Academia. I also like a few other currently airing anime, but I'd be hard pressed to recommend them to most people.

Though the season could be worse. It could be this coming Spring.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1580 on: February 08, 2017, 05:36:29 PM »
OK, now you can start Rebuild :D
I'll tackle that one once the last movie is out :P

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1581 on: February 23, 2017, 12:13:37 AM »
Crunchy pass for anyone interested, I literally never use these things and am starting to feel bad about seeing all the expired unused ones so...here's a bunch in one swoop:

YN3XRELCUGK

MRCUCCVGKCQ

9MUQF6UWLHV

I'm binging DBSuper, really awesome stuff. I didn't expect to like it this much but I'm loving it. I'm reading a bunch of manga that are very intense and heavy and have stories like labyrinths so it's nice to kick back and just watch some constipated motherfuckers blast shit at each other with a lot of humor sprinkled in between it all.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1582 on: March 03, 2017, 11:46:50 PM »
After a quick run through FLCL, now am watching Serial Experiments Lain with bae. Holy fuck this is mind-bending, surreal stuff. I like it :P

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1583 on: March 31, 2017, 02:22:38 PM »
This season ended up being considerably better than expected. I didn't watch too terribly much, but everything I did finish was worthwhile.

1. Konosuba 2
2. Little Witch Academia
3. Sangatsu no Lion

It's a shame that Sangatsu's second half wasn't nearly as compelling as its first.

Literally the only Spring title I have any expectations for is Sakura Quest. I hope it and LWA can hold me over until what may be the final Monogatari season airs this Summer.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1584 on: March 31, 2017, 03:10:27 PM »
I started watching Gintama. There are 350 episodes so far.

Wish me luck.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1585 on: April 09, 2017, 05:06:42 PM »
Im still pretty new to anime. Im taking a break from watching dragon ball Z for the first time. I really enjoyed Dragon ball and while there are parts of DBZ that I really like my god theres a lot of filler lol. If I ever decide to watch it again I'm going with kai.

So for right now I decided to check out Cowboy Bebob. I'm only 2 episodes in but I already love it.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1586 on: April 09, 2017, 07:59:17 PM »
After a quick run through FLCL, now am watching Serial Experiments Lain with bae. Holy fuck this is mind-bending, surreal stuff. I like it :P
Finished it some days ago, it was a fucking trip. Good stuff. Now, because I've been digging lots of pretty dark, surreal stuff both in anime and movies and games lately, began with Mushi-shi for a change of mood. And I'm digging it quite a bit.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1587 on: September 17, 2017, 10:59:38 PM »
Well, bumping this thread because I really want to get this out there.

So I've been liking two romcom slice of life-like animes that the summer season has been providing.  Gamers! and Tsurezure Children.  What can I say.  I'm a sucker for this kind of genre of anime and I enjoy the characters and the banter of the relationships so far and the fact that these people are so daff and have so much miscommunication with the person they like a lot, but it's nice to see when they can finally sort themselves and their friendships out and establish some good pairings.

I mean if I'm grinning a lot while watching this, it's a good sign for me that I like it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1588 on: September 25, 2017, 08:48:39 AM »
Watched Madoka Magica recently and the third movie as well. Very interesting dark twist in the magic girl trope. Also started The Tatami Galaxy, the pace is fucking crazy at time but so good so far. And rewatching Death Note for old time's sake :P

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1589 on: October 23, 2017, 12:29:27 AM »
Here's probably the only anime that I legit like from the Fall season, this year.  Net-juu no Susume (Recovery of a MMO Junkie).  It's about a 30-year women that quit her corporate job and became a NEET.  Decided not to deal with the real world nowadays and find solace in an MMORPG, apparently that's similar to another MMO that she played in the past until work got in the way, and found this female character and they formed this nice dynamic/friendship with each other.  Oh yeah, and the main character is playing a male character and it's alleged that the female character in the game is actually a pretty decent-looking bloke (it's actually not that uncommon for guys to play female characters in MMORPGs for whatever reasons).

As a guy that was basically a NEET, at this point last year, and a guy that does find solace playing a MMORPG (World of Warcraft, baby) and does struggle with social anxiety at times, I feel like I relate well to the main character and how she interacts in the online game and how she interacts with society outside of the game.  It's a good watch so far, three episodes.  I'll most likely stick around and follow the whole series this season.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1590 on: October 23, 2017, 02:44:09 PM »
I watched anime when I was a kid. By my late teens I dipped out, but I do still have a soft spot for the anime I grew up watching, and actually follow Dragon Ball Super. But that's about it.

However, as of last week I finally started rewatching Yu Yu Hakusho. That was one of my favorites growing up, and it's still funny and dark and fun to watch, if full of holes and a bit amateurish. I never got to finish it because Toonami stopped playing in the afternoons after school, so I got cut off in the middle of the Dark Tournament (4 PM sharp central time, I believe it was...) - but I recently found all the episodes and started from the beginning. Still so good and one of the best opening theme songs ever. So now I'm starting season 3 which I've never seen before. This takes me back. I love these characters.

Other favorites: Tenchi (mainly Muyo), DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Sailor Moon, Outlaw Star... a lot of shonen stuff from back in the day
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1591 on: November 05, 2017, 09:18:11 AM »
Bump. I just want to say that I probably shouldn't have finished YYH. They completely ruined it with the last arc. Ruined... ugh. Although one thing that really surprised me was the inclusion of an openly gay character in the third arc. In a nearly 30 year old anime that was very unexpected.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1592 on: November 06, 2017, 10:36:15 PM »
Two weeks and episodes in, I still really like Recovery of a MMO Junkie.

It may be me getting old and life getting in the way, but I find the key characters to be much interesting and relatable than say a typical shonen anime (which to me has gotten pretty bland and boring and cliche to go through).  It's a nice change of pace to see romance incorporated in an anime where the characters are in their 20s, early 30s and they have their own personal social issues and they are not dense or yells a lot.

Heck, the latest episode of it got me saying, "Holy cow, this guy is a beast and I love him for it!" and he's doing nothing more but logging out of the game and running out of his house in the spur of a moment sensing an opportunity.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1593 on: November 22, 2017, 09:22:19 PM »
Also started The Tatami Galaxy, the pace is fucking crazy at time but so good so far. And rewatching Death Note for old time's sake :P
Finished both - damn Tatami was excellent, very unconventional yet lovely series, and the last two episodes just got to me. Gorgeous stuff. And Death Note, I had forgotten how smart it was, even if some of L's and mostly Near's deductions were a bit too accurate most of the time.

Oh, and finally finished Mushi-shi. It's the anime equivalent to ambient music, and there's some pretty dark ambient here at times. Didn't love it, but it got me intrigues enough to give the sequel a chance. At least the slow pace is relieving after such intense shows I'm watching  :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1594 on: November 23, 2017, 12:45:03 AM »
Funny, I just binged season 1 since I finished it years and years ago when I used to watch it stoned out of my mind. I'm happy to say I loved it just as much sober as I did when I was tasting colors and seeing sounds.

I do need to catch season 2 though.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1595 on: February 11, 2018, 09:07:44 PM »
Been watching some mediocre anime recently, like Paranoia Agent and Hellsing Ultimate, and now began with Ping Pong the Animation and damn this is excellent  :metal

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1596 on: February 12, 2018, 04:51:45 AM »
Karakai Jozou no Takagi-san is too cute. I can't help myself.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1597 on: February 24, 2018, 12:57:36 PM »
Been watching some mediocre anime recently, like Paranoia Agent and Hellsing Ultimate, and now began with Ping Pong the Animation and damn this is excellent  :metal
Just finished it, holy shit  :hefdaddy . It was one hell of an emotional roller coaster and I highly recommend it, pretty creative and unconventional series. Now, gonna take a long break from anime, I feel overwhelmed but also happy to end this period on such a high note.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1598 on: February 24, 2018, 02:22:41 PM »
POPTEAMEPPIKU!
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1599 on: July 07, 2018, 10:25:42 PM »
Giving this the old bumpy bump.

Been re-watching two series that I had the great pleasure of enjoying and I pretty much rate them quite highly.

The Devil is a Part Timer: basically, a Demon King from another world lost a battle against the hero of that world and when he retreated, he and his right-hand man accidentally went from their world to our modern world to, guess where?  Tokyo.  Realizing that they have no demonic powers and is broke in our world, they decided to adapt into our world and that Demon King is working at a parody of a McDonald's to make ends meet and survive and live in a one-room, literally only one room and a bathroom, apartment.  Btw, the hero that landed a blow to the Demon King?  She followed them through that escaping portal into our modern world and also realized that she has no powers as well and got a job at a call center for a cell phone company to make ends meet and live in a bigger and much more furnished apartment.  The Hero and the Demon King eventually confront each other once again, but rather attempt to kill each other, they mainly just banter hilariously in snarky fashion.  It's a great watch, I recommend it mainly for the dialog among the main characters and seeing people from another world adapt into our modern more technological world.

My Teenage Romantic Comedy Snafu (aka OreGairu, aka. My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, as I Expected).  It's about a guy name Hachiman Hikigaya that's has no friends, is anti-social, hates fabricated relationships, and feels like society, and typical high school cliches would be better off without that sort of BS.  His teacher and guidance counselor, whose is considered a Christmas Cake, but somehow cannot seem to find a husband despite being really good-looking and personable, is really concerned about Hachiman's current perspective of life and forced him to join a club that mainly focuses on helping, not solving, people's general requests in hopes to help him to grow as a person.  Note the word grow, not change his personality to fit into the cliches of high school romcoms.  This Service Club is completed with members like Yukino Yukinoshita whose pretty, smart, athletic, etc., but is really really blunt and is an ice queen and has a cat motif and Yui Yuigahama, whose an upbeat person and has a dog motif and despite her being more sociable than the other two, really gets along with the other two.  I recommend this series on the basis of Hachiman as a character since I can relate to this asshole that's really a caring person albeit thinks and approaches problems differently than the cliches that is a high school life.

So, any good promising series this summer to watch?  I might end up watching Grand Blue (I've been following the manga series and it's pretty good.  It's about a guy that's entering the college life and finds himself drinking and messing around with his friends a lot and has a fascination about diving.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 12:34:26 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1600 on: November 17, 2018, 09:12:29 PM »
Haven't been keeping up with any recent anime.  I am in the middle of rewatching Princess Tutu.

Oh, and BUMP.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline earlilano

« Reply #1601 on: November 18, 2018, 06:04:08 AM »
Since this is the DT forums I have some anime recommendations that involve music. I would recommend Anonymous Noise (its available on Amazon Prime), Your Lie in April (this is going to make you cry), Sound! Euphonium, and Kids on The Slope.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1602 on: November 23, 2018, 06:33:25 PM »
Since this is the DT forums I have some anime recommendations that involve music. I would recommend Anonymous Noise (its available on Amazon Prime), Your Lie in April (this is going to make you cry), Sound! Euphonium, and Kids on The Slope.

I hate the mother in Your Lie in April.  If she pushed me to play piano like that, I'm like no thanks, I'm finding another hobby to like.  Oddly enough, I did play piano in middle school and my mother was paying for the lessons.  At some point, though, lessons got too expensive and my piano teacher kept calling me the wrong name so I just stop taking lessons and my mother was ok with that.  By then, World of Warcraft, hockey, and listening to Alter Bridge and other rock bands like DT have kept me occupied and I haven't looked back since then.  Suck it, mothers that wants to force their kids to do stuff to the point of kid not enjoying things anymore.

Anyway, for this season, I've been watching "Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai," and this may be the best anime I've watch that came out this year.  That or Lupin the 3rd: Part V.

When you think of an anime that has a title that includes the word "Bunny Girl Senpai," you are going to think there is a lot of dirty visuals and girls wearing lots of provocative clothing, right?  Well, you would be wrong.  The provocative visuals is pretty much non-existent, except in the first few scenes, but there's a legit reason for that.  The plot is solid.  The main character is not a dense generic MC (though he does make a lot of dirty jokes and sarcastic remarks) and the relationships that he has with his friends, family, and beloved ones is well-built and any misunderstandings gets cleared up relatively quickly (at least, compared to any other anime that was adapted from a Light Novel source).  I recommend watching it, but that's just me.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 06:40:25 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1603 on: December 05, 2018, 03:58:37 PM »
I'm not huge on anime but I became obsessed with the Studio Ghibli movies about 3 years ago. More recently I tried to get into some anime series. I tried Full Metal Alchemist and kinda lost interest. However, I just finished Cowboy Bebop and I freaking loved it!! Now I'm on to Samurai Champloo (on a friends recommendation). Enjoying it so far and I've also got the Cowboy Bebop movie to watch. Any recommendations on where to go from here?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1604 on: December 06, 2018, 09:13:40 AM »
Cowboy Bebop is amazing  :hefdaddy

If you're looking for more mature anime, I'd recommend Ping Pong the Animation, and Neon Genesis Evangelion (be warned, it's pretty depressing but so cathartic and mind-bending). Mushi-shi has some similar vibes to Ghibli movies albeit with a slower pace and a very interesting mythology. For something pretty psychological, Perfect Blue.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1605 on: December 12, 2018, 09:29:58 PM »
If you are still looking for recommendations and like a little action and thrills and solid comedic banter among characters, I suggest Lupin III.  There are like five different parts (there isn't really any continuity though, all the episodes are contained and doesn't follow a big plot or arc.  It's mainly planning and accomplishing the next heist and the adventure that goes with it) over the 50+ year history of the franchise and all kinds of movies.

I did like Part IV and Part V mainly because those series does a great job of adapting the five main characters to today's modern age and some of the scenery is really well-drawn (doesn't hurt that the series takes place in Italy and France most of the time).  Part V did stray away with the Lupin III formula by incorporating a big theme throughout the series which revolves around social media and the internet and all of the underbelly stuff that we had heard of over the years and it comes down to this main question.  How can the greatest thief in the world pull off his capers when everyone in the social media age knows where he is?

I do want to watch the original series and Part II.  I hear really great stuff about Part II.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1606 on: February 04, 2019, 11:31:59 PM »
Bumping this thread since we are a few weeks into the new season of new animes to watch.  Does anyone like something of note so far?

For me, I'm really enjoying "Kaguya wants to be confessed to."  I caught up to the manga prior to the first episode premiering and, quite frankly, this might be the best romcom that I have ever experienced (and I'm a huge sucker for good romcoms in any medium, particular in anime and manga).

The premise is basic. The top two students of a prestigious high school are the president/vice president of the student council. Everyone in school thinks that they should be a couple. That pairing seems to have that aura that screams "power couple." That stated, both characters does not want to be the first person to confess to the other since it would show weakness. Thus, they play a lot of mind games to get the others to confess and hilarity would ensue and a lot of other typical high school stuff happens that revolves around the main characters (but to me, those events are quite well written).  The anime adaptation is solid so far (albeit the pacing is a bit rushed in some parts in comparison to the manga).  I cannot recommend this series enough.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1607 on: March 17, 2019, 01:20:01 PM »
I've been watching One Punch man on Netflix

The premise is that its a super hero that defeats every enemy with only one punch, so he eternally bored and unsatisfied because every single fight ends after only one. Its surprisingly compelling

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1608 on: May 07, 2019, 09:47:11 PM »
I recently watched Angel Beats, my first "real" anime (I won't count the Ghost Stories dub; it's basically an abridged series).

So, uh... oof my heart
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1609 on: May 07, 2019, 11:38:40 PM »
Just started watching Full metal alchemist. For years, I thought it was just some kids show, but its actually very deep, mature and thought provoking. I love it