Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 228332 times)

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #1330 on: March 31, 2016, 06:21:57 PM »
I do love Penguindrum.

My top 5 (there may be some nostalgia glasses):
1) Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
2) Kara no Kyoukai
3) Bakemonogatari (actually the whole series besides Nise)
4) Elfen Lied
5) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Some other honourable mentions: Steins;gate, Madoka, Fate/Zero, FMA Brotherhood, Toradora, Evangelion, Azumanga Daioh...

Re: Penguindrum  :tup

1. I liked the first season, but the second was a huge step down in quality.
2. I've only seen the first three movies, and am not a fan. It's way too confusing at this point, but that may change once I finally watch the remaining 4 films. Aside from that, I don't care for Nasu's style of storytelling. It's a miracle that I liked the F/SN visual novel.
3. Love it.
4. I liked it when I first watched it, but I'd probably hate it now. The manga had its moments, though. The ending in particular was much better than in the anime.
5. Between the two TV series, I liked about 2/3 of it. The other third contains Endless Eight and a few one-off episodes from Season 1. I watched it in my first 6 months of watching anime, so I'd probably like it more now that I will actually understand most of the references. The movie was great

I haven't seen Azumanga Daioh yet, as I want to finish its manga first, but all of your other honorable mentions are 7s or 8s.

My top 10:

FMA: Brotherhood
Kaiji
Code Geass
Fate/Zero
One Piece
Death Note
Steins Gate
Legend of Galactic Heroes
Parasyte
Monster

So, Kaiji aside, pretty conventional stuff. Now, about controversial opinions:

I bolded the ones I liked. I have no intention of ever watching One Piece, and didn't care for the remaining titles.

I only have a solid top 6, but my top 10 would look something like this:

The Tatami Galaxy
Shinsekai Yori
Mawaru Penguindrum
Kaiba
Welcome to the NHK
So Ra No Wo To
Gunbuster
Hyouka
2 of Revolutionary Girl Utena, FMA: Brotherhood, and Serial Experiments Lain

Highly rated animes that i didn't like: Evangelion and AnoHana.

Highly rated animes that i only found decent: Angel Beats, Tengen Toppa, Hellsing Ultimate and Cowboy Bebop.

I'm right with you on AnoHana. But NGE, though... I admit that my love for the series has partially diminished since I first watched it, but End of Evangelion still gets me every time, and Asuka is my all-time favorite anime character. Are your feelings towards it closer to indifference or dislike?

Oh yeah how did I forget Code Geass?

I wish I could forget Code Geass.

...and there's my most controversial anime opinion. It's very rare for me to absolutely despise everything about a work of fiction and what it stands for. This is one of those cases. It's the only show of its length I regret watching all the way through.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1331 on: March 31, 2016, 06:39:47 PM »
I'm right with you on AnoHana. But NGE, though... I admit that my love for the series has partially diminished since I first watched it, but End of Evangelion still gets me every time, and Asuka is my all-time favorite anime character. Are your feelings towards it closer to indifference or dislike?

Dislike, but i do liked End of Evangelion, go figure...

From those you guys mentioned, i have Higurashi, Madoka, Shinsekai Yori, Gunbuster and Revolutionary Girl Utena in my plan to watch list.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1332 on: March 31, 2016, 08:20:12 PM »
None of these are even in my top 10 :P I like obscure/niche anime apparently.

I'll name the two that popped into my head just now, as examples. Kiniro Mosaic, and Is The Order A Rabbit?

Both of those are basically the visual form of sugary sweet adorable essence. It just makes you feel good inside.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1333 on: April 01, 2016, 05:31:10 AM »
Damn, not even So Ra No Wo To or Hyouka? Those are some of my favorite SoL series, and are incredibly unique. I haven't found else anything like either.

In terms of obscurity, I'd put those on the same level as most of my favorites. Someone who doesn't watch anime will have no chance of recognizing the names, but likely will within a year or two. Unfortunately, their impressions of them is a different matter entirely...

I haven't watched either of the titles you mentioned, but they are both on my list of series I hope to finish within the next six months. I tend to like this type of show. They're relaxing and atmospheric.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1334 on: April 01, 2016, 07:11:38 AM »
I haven't seen either of the ones you mentioned either :3 So much anime and so little time.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1335 on: April 01, 2016, 08:55:10 AM »
Man all the people who like the kind of anime I like don't post anymore go look at the early pages and there's none of this

fuckin

JOJO TODAY THOUGH OR LIKE AT MIDNIGHT I DUNNO SOON THOUGH

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1336 on: April 01, 2016, 09:27:17 AM »
So much anime and so little time.

You just described my life.  :(

Man all the people who like the kind of anime I like don't post anymore go look at the early pages and there's none of this

fuckin

Dissent always makes conversation more interesting.  :)

JOJO TODAY THOUGH OR LIKE AT MIDNIGHT I DUNNO SOON THOUGH

HELL YES! PART 4 HERE I COME!

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: April 01, 2016, 11:54:35 AM »
AHH IT'S OUT (On Crunchyroll)

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1338 on: April 02, 2016, 08:10:04 PM »
First episode of Ace Attorney has crap animation but otherwise does a good job adapting the game's first case. I expect like half of this show to be taken up by the last case, though...

...my name is Araragi.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1339 on: April 04, 2016, 07:55:10 AM »
I dunno if anyone here also watches pro wrestling, but New Day were dressed up like Dragonball Z characters for their match at Wrestlemania last night. Xavier Woods was dressed as Vegeta and he looked the best. He had the power armor, the hair, and he even had the tail  :metal. It was a pleasant surprise for me, since I grew up with the DBZ dub.

Still haven't brought myself to finish Kanamemo yet x.x Ending the journey of an anime is a difficult thing for me, especially once I get attached to the characters.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1340 on: April 04, 2016, 09:31:16 AM »
So... this season will be more crowded than I initially thought. Of the 7 first episodes I've watched so far, all of them were at least solid, and there is still another 7 or 8 I plan to start. There's nothing that screams, "This is awful. I should drop it. Like, right now." Even the shows I am expecting to not like all that much, such as Boku no Hero Academia, have enough going for them that they should, at the very least, be entertaining. RIP freetime...

My favorites so far:
-JoJo's, because it's JoJo's.
-Ace Attorney. This looks like a take on the mystery genre I'll actually enjoy.
-Kuma Miko. It's a cute, relaxing, and funny Slice of Life. Taco, you may be interested in following this one.

Overall, my first impressions are much better than those of last season.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1341 on: April 04, 2016, 10:25:15 AM »
Just the title of Kuma Miko appeals to me.

Is the bear the miko cuz if so AOTY

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: April 05, 2016, 10:49:33 PM »
So watching Ace Attorney on Crunchyroll I'm a little conflicted. Some part of me thinks it's cool that they're using the japanese names, but another part of me wishes they were using the english ones.

Like I know Naruhodo Ryuichi is Phoenix, Mitsurugi Reiji is Edgeworth, Auchi is Payne, I think the von Karmas are Karuma Goh and Mei.

But what about the Ayasatos/Feys? In English you have Mia, Maya, Pearl, Morgan, and uh... the mom one. In Japanese I think it's like Chihiro, Chihaya, Chisato, etc. How am I supposed to keep them all straight D:.

Though I'm assuming the anime is only covering the first game so I only have Mia and Maya to worry about.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1343 on: April 06, 2016, 06:55:46 AM »
So watching Ace Attorney on Crunchyroll I'm a little conflicted. Some part of me thinks it's cool that they're using the japanese names, but another part of me wishes they were using the english ones.

You can change the subtitles to the English names.

And speaking of Ace Attorney, I found out that the first three games are available as a bundle on the 3DS shop. I know what I'll be buying today...

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: April 06, 2016, 07:14:02 AM »
I can? Sweet.

Also get ready for a good time, I love those games. 3>1>2 imo

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1345 on: April 09, 2016, 07:28:09 PM »
Fuck yeah Edgeworth.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1346 on: April 09, 2016, 07:43:20 PM »
I didn't really notice it last week, but DAMN the animation in Ace Attorney is terrible.

I've played to the end of the anime's current case in the game, and it's fairly enjoyable so far. I feel that it holds my hand a little too much, but I've heard that the next two games are much harder. My only story issue so far is the supernatural elements.

The first episodes of everything I plan to watch have aired, and I'm loving this season already. There's a serious show in the form of Joker Game, fun GAR action via JoJo's, hilarious comedies, a good number of heartwarming Slice of Life, etc. The last category was sorely missed last season.

Let's see how many shows I end up finishing.  :)

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: April 10, 2016, 08:39:49 AM »
If you don't like the supernatural elements you will dislike my favourite case in the series.

I won't say which that is because I don't want to spoil which cases have supernatural elements.

And yeah the animation is just so bad. This is the same company that just did Erased last season?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1348 on: April 11, 2016, 08:06:39 AM »
Finished Kanamemo the other day, finally. I'm gonna miss those girls :'( Now I'm trying to get through another unfinished anime before moving on to one of the awesome recommendations in this thread :P It goes a little something like this

Expression too priceless

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1349 on: April 11, 2016, 12:52:07 PM »
Finished Kanamemo the other day, finally. I'm gonna miss those girls :'( Now I'm trying to get through another unfinished anime before moving on to one of the awesome recommendations in this thread :P It goes a little something like this

Expression too priceless

If you're willing to follow currently airing series, this season has a bunch of good slice of life titles. I'm watching 4, and have heard good things about the remaining 3/4/however many there are. Kuma Miko, which I mentioned a few posts back, is IMO the weakest of the four. If you only want to follow one, go with Flying Witch; its my favorite so far.

Of course, only 1-2 episodes of each have come out, so the quality could severely drop at any moment. Though, I find SoL titles less likely to turn to shit than those of other, more "ambitious", genres. Eh, we'll see at the end of the season.

Re: Kanamemo; that genre combination is...interesting. I'll have to give it a try soon.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1350 on: April 11, 2016, 08:01:13 PM »

Re: Kanamemo; that genre combination is...interesting. I'll have to give it a try soon.

It's not for everyone :P The characters really grew on me though (Except Haruka who's mostly just a creepy perverted alcoholic)

Love when more SoL anime comes out. They all find their own ways to make me laugh and smile.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1351 on: April 11, 2016, 08:01:42 PM »
EDIT: Well that's weird. I edited my post and somehow it ended up posting again.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1352 on: April 11, 2016, 08:44:51 PM »
Kanamemo looks like a type of show I like, but the Ecchi tag threw me off. I've never seen a moe SoL with one before. If you take that out, it's the same genre as Yuru Yuri, which I greatly enjoyed.

I'm generally fine with sexualization in anime as long as it services either the characters or comedy. In something like the aforementioned Yuru Yuri, all of the sexual elements arise from the characters' interactions and fantasies (I'll never get tired of Chitose's nosebleed gag, for example). Monogatari, especially Nise, is also great at this. Yes, even the infamous toothbrush scene. Hell, I was even fine with it in MonMusu, as that show was hilarious. I'm only bothered when the fanservice is there for its own sake. I don't have any examples off of the top of my head, as I tend to avoid the types of shows prone to this behavior.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1353 on: April 12, 2016, 09:12:06 AM »
Kanamemo looks like a type of show I like, but the Ecchi tag threw me off. I've never seen a moe SoL with one before. If you take that out, it's the same genre as Yuru Yuri, which I greatly enjoyed.

I'm generally fine with sexualization in anime as long as it services either the characters or comedy. In something like the aforementioned Yuru Yuri, all of the sexual elements arise from the characters' interactions and fantasies (I'll never get tired of Chitose's nosebleed gag, for example). Monogatari, especially Nise, is also great at this. Yes, even the infamous toothbrush scene. Hell, I was even fine with it in MonMusu, as that show was hilarious. I'm only bothered when the fanservice is there for its own sake. I don't have any examples off of the top of my head, as I tend to avoid the types of shows prone to this behavior.

The Ecchi tag is almost exclusively because of Haruka and her creepy fantasies xD There is a lot of cute and innocent Yuri influence there too, though. The interactions between Kana and Mika just get more adorable as the series goes on.

I'd say that Haruka falls into the category of "There just to provide suggestive images", but all the other characters are actually well developed and have their own distinct and lovable personality. If you're able to look past the flaws, I'm sure it'll make you smile and laugh too.

xD I haven't seen any Monogatari series yet, or MonMosu. Not sure of that scene you're talking about, but it sounds interesting, to say the least.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1354 on: April 12, 2016, 10:30:03 AM »
The Ecchi tag is almost exclusively because of Haruka and her creepy fantasies xD...I'd say that Haruka falls into the category of "There just to provide suggestive images"

Oh, that's not bad at all. Haruka sounds like a creepier Chitose.

xD I haven't seen any Monogatari series yet, or MonMosu. Not sure of that scene you're talking about, but it sounds interesting, to say the least.

Oh fuck... what have I done? I'll just say that context is important in Monogatari. It's one of the few series that uses fanservice as a device to define characters and their relationships. Nise just takes it further than any other entry, aside from maybe Tsuki. If you are not familiar with the characters, it will seem excessive.

Genowyn would likely disagree, but I had no problems with sexual elements in any part of Monogatari.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: April 13, 2016, 05:24:27 PM »
I only felt Nisemonogatari took it too far.

In most of the series it's almost like... tasteful... but in Nise it's just excessive.

imo~

...my name is Araragi.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1356 on: April 15, 2016, 10:40:16 AM »
Finished watching the other thing on my list. Once I get the itch to watch something again (Which'll probably be sometime later today lol) I'll give something new a try :)

It'll definitely be more SoL/Comedy. I can't get enough of that xD

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1357 on: April 15, 2016, 01:17:09 PM »

In most of the series it's almost like... tasteful... but in Nise it's just excessive.

imo~

I find this strange, as you listed Elfen Lied as one of your favorites on the previous page. EL is the definition of excessive, in terms of both sexual content and violence. Though something like Saya no Uta (which I greatly enjoyed, BTW) goes much further, the content is usually in service of the characters or themes, even at its most violent and rape-y points. Despite being one of the most fucked up works I've read to date, I wouldn't call SnU excessive.

Finished watching the other thing on my list. Once I get the itch to watch something again (Which'll probably be sometime later today lol) I'll give something new a try :)

It'll definitely be more SoL/Comedy. I can't get enough of that xD

Yuyushiki, I presume?  :)

Once I finish the third arc of LoGH, I'll start one of your favorites, most likely GochiUsa. Is there anything you'd recommend over that?

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1358 on: April 15, 2016, 02:42:09 PM »

Yuyushiki, I presume?  :)

Once I finish the third arc of LoGH, I'll start one of your favorites, most likely GochiUsa. Is there anything you'd recommend over that?

Yeah, I was strongly considering Yuyushiki :3 Looks like my choice is made.

Gochi is probably the purest and most lighthearted SoL anime I've ever seen. It's like cuddling a fluffy bunny. Suggestive content is rather minimal and instead it's all about honest character interaction. Just a regular conversation is enough fanservice for the eyes and ears, most of the time xD

If you'd rather something that is more Yuri influenced but still adorable, I'd recommend KinMoza instead. It's actually very similar to YuruYuri, except it doesn't take the "themes" quite as far :P

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1359 on: April 16, 2016, 05:50:26 AM »

imo~

I find this strange, as you listed Elfen Lied as one of your favorites on the previous page. EL is the definition of excessive, in terms of both sexual content and violence. Though something like Saya no Uta (which I greatly enjoyed, BTW) goes much further, the content is usually in service of the characters or themes, even at its most violent and rape-y points. Despite being one of the most fucked up works I've read to date, I wouldn't call SnU excessive.

I certainly agree on Saya no Uta, I find it to actually be quite beautiful.

Regarding Elfen Lied... I will definitely say that Lynn Okamoto wrote a shitty manga. He didn't really have any idea what he was writing. The team that adapted it into an anime managed to, imo, pull something beautiful out of that. Whatever Okamoto's intent was, all the nudity in the anime at least feels thematically relevant, mostly via the Japanese symbolism of nudity=innocence.

Something I would call excessively violent and sexual is Mnemosyne. Everything about that show is... gratuitous. Worse, I think the people who made it thought they were making something really great and meaningful, but instead they made something really stupid.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1360 on: April 16, 2016, 07:38:31 AM »
Watched the first episode of Yuyushiki last night :3 I love it already. Yui is my favorite girl so far.

I'll just leave this here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D5BDoMlUZs Don't watch for too long or you might suffer a HNNNNNG attack

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1361 on: April 16, 2016, 12:17:52 PM »
Regarding Elfen Lied... I will definitely say that Lynn Okamoto wrote a shitty manga. He didn't really have any idea what he was writing. The team that adapted it into an anime managed to, imo, pull something beautiful out of that. Whatever Okamoto's intent was, all the nudity in the anime at least feels thematically relevant, mostly via the Japanese symbolism of nudity=innocence.

Considering the harem-esque shenanigans in EL, I highly doubt that the nudity is there for symbolism. I can see what EL tried to do with its themes (nurture vs nature, discrimination, etc), but I don't think it succeeded.

Watched the first episode of Yuyushiki last night :3 I love it already. Yui is my favorite girl so far.

I'll just leave this here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D5BDoMlUZs Don't watch for too long or you might suffer a HNNNNNG attack

She's my favorite as well. :tup

That video is strangely addicting, so I'll leave this here.  :biggrin:

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1362 on: April 16, 2016, 12:43:41 PM »

She's my favorite as well. :tup

That video is strangely addicting, so I'll leave this here.  :biggrin:

Wow xD Perfect video to describe the power of cuteness right there.

But seriously, that look Karen gives her <3

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1363 on: April 18, 2016, 07:56:51 PM »
Well... fuck. RIP Yang Wenli. I wasn't expecting his potential death to be so... quiet. It's definitely one of my favorite anime death scenes to date, up there with the likes of Katanagatari and Cowboy Bebop.

I was already planning to take a break after this arc, but now I need to do so. I haven't felt this emotionally drained since I finished Gunbuster a few months back. 3 more episodes, and then I'll start GochiUsa.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1364 on: April 19, 2016, 07:35:02 AM »
That's a good idea :3 Gotta balance the heavy emotional stuff with happier things.

I'm currently done the first 5 episodes of Yuyushiki. It lost a slight bit of momentum after the third, but it's still giving me good laughs :3 At this point I'm almost certain that Yui will stay as my favorite. All the girls have layers to their personalities but I'm most interested in Yui's layers xD She's just really cool.