Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 228210 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #1295 on: March 10, 2016, 09:18:30 PM »
D-DEEN...?

No...

no i

i don't want to remember

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1296 on: March 11, 2016, 05:03:15 AM »
I've never seen Fate/ stay DEEN, so I don't have to remember.  :biggrin:

Knowing DEEN's reputation, I never expected them to perform so well this season. Though the art, while not Higurashi bad, is still subpar (for Konosuba, at least. Rakugo seems to fair better in this department, though I am nowhere near caught up, so I may be speaking too soon), every other aspect of the two shows is at least solid. Konosuba is a hilarious parody of one of my most disliked recent anime trends, and Rakugo may even be a contender for AOTY.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1297 on: March 13, 2016, 05:42:46 PM »
I just got back from watching Only Yesterday in a theater.

I really liked it.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1298 on: March 19, 2016, 07:55:08 AM »
Called it.

I predict that Erased will fall apart in its final quarter, if not before then.

A coma-induced time skip AND amnesia in the same episode? What the hell were they thinking? :facepalm:

The community's reaction to the latest episode is much worse, though. NTR? Really? You endorsed fictional pedophilia, and are pissed that it didn't come to be? :puke:
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1299 on: March 19, 2016, 10:31:48 AM »
I will continue to disagree with your opinion (on the show itself). Then again, you didn't like One Punch Man, sooooo....

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1300 on: March 19, 2016, 03:36:50 PM »
I wouldn't say I disliked OPM, but I certainly was not a fan. Within recent memory, I don't think I've ever particularly cared for the popular AOTS picks. Next season may be an exception, if JoJo's ends up being the most popular title. One of Bone's upcoming shows may beat it in viewer count, but aside from that, there isn't much competition in this department.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: March 19, 2016, 05:36:55 PM »
SURE THERE IS

Ace Attorney and Danganronpa 3 (I'm still holding out hope it's a lot better than the DR anime... but since it's an original story being written for the anime I think there's a decent chance of that)

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1302 on: March 19, 2016, 06:05:28 PM »
I meant competition as in the number of viewers. I doubt that Ace Attorney will come close to the popularity of Diamond is Unbreakable or Boku no Hero Academia.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1303 on: March 19, 2016, 08:48:52 PM »
I really am surprised at how ineffective you find Erased to be. I almost cried when adult Kayo showed up.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1304 on: March 20, 2016, 09:19:38 AM »
I'm somewhat emotionally stoic, so fictional works rarely affect me in that sort of way. In the past three months, I have teared up during parts of Gunbuster, Kaiba, and Shirobako, but that's about it. The one thing all three of those shows had in common was that I liked the characters. That's not something I can say about Erased.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1305 on: March 26, 2016, 09:42:15 AM »
I will admit that was not the most satisfying ending, but I'm not gonna let that detract from how great the rest of the show was.

ANYWAY ON TO NEXT SEASON DIAMOND IS NOT CRASH HERE WE GOOO

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1306 on: March 26, 2016, 10:14:26 AM »
I will admit that was not the most satisfying ending, but I'm not gonna let that detract from how great the rest of the show was.

"Not the most satisfying" is putting it lightly. To give the show credit where it is due, the last five minutes were pretty good, except for the last scene with Airi which was IMO unnecessary and didn't really make sense. As for everything before that... I don't think I've ever cringed so much in only 15 minutes. And, before you ask, no, I haven't seen Watamote.

You already know how I feel about the rest of the series, so I won't repeat myself. I probably won't remember this show by this time next year, except for maybe the community reaction to the penultimate episode.

ANYWAY ON TO NEXT SEASON DIAMOND IS NOT CRASH HERE WE GOOO

Now this is something I can agree with! Less than a week left before beautiful Duwang!

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1307 on: March 26, 2016, 10:17:51 AM »
Well you should definitely see Watamote, or at least read it. Watamote was the first anime where I had read the manga first, though there have been quite a few VNs I have read before the anime adaptations came out, or before I watched them, anyway... which reminds me I need to finish Rewrite by summer!

Also reminds me of how much I want a G-Senjou no Maou anime, though I know that'll never happen, or at least not in any satisfying form (Japanese censors: "What is Japanese Nationalism? This is not a thing that exists you can't put it on TV no sir")

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1308 on: March 26, 2016, 10:34:37 AM »
I'm currently going through multiple massive franchises at once, but I'll move Watamote to the front of my queue. I'll start it once I finally complete LoGH, which should happen by the end of April, and will let you know what I think of it when I finish.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1309 on: March 28, 2016, 11:48:26 AM »
So, Erased was fully adapted or there's gonna be a Season 2?
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: March 28, 2016, 11:53:22 AM »
That's it as far as I know.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1311 on: March 29, 2016, 06:17:16 AM »
>when you're playing a Visual Novel on that first 'pure' playthrough and end up with a girl you don't even like

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1312 on: March 29, 2016, 09:10:48 AM »
This last season was easily the worst one since I started watching seasonal anime. This season's best show was a 6. By comparison, every season in 2015 had at least one 7 or 8. To put these scores into context, my mean score on MAL is a 5.11.

Spring looks better, but I said that about Winter as well, so who knows. There's a lot to look forward to: JoJo's, two Studio Trigger titles, three or four Slice of Life comedies by staff whose previous works I've liked, a few darker titles, one of which is an adaptation of an actual novel, and so on. I fully expect to drop most of them by the end of April, but there should be a few worthwhile titles hidden among them.

Also, the Owarimonogatari volume 3 anime was announced! No release date yet, but those arc names are intriguing. Especially 'Mayoi Hell'

Unless Shaft decides to adapt the Off Season, this will be the penultimate Monogatari anime, not counting the remaining two Kizu films. It's sad to see it end.  :(

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1313 on: March 29, 2016, 10:46:22 AM »
Is Koyomimonogatari the six?

Also I wonder about how harsh your rating scale must be
.. For me it goes:

10- Masterpiece. Loved it. Work of art which will stand the test of time
9- Liked it a lot. Some deeper meanings.
8- Liked it a lot
7- Liked it.
6- Didn't like it.
5-2-??
1- Hated it
0- burn it

It takes some serious trash to score a 1 or 0. Something like Freezing or Mnemosyne or Hidan no Aria.

Regarding your excitement about a number of slice of life shows... I don't really watch SoL shows anymore. Even a franchise I enjoy like Working, I could only get through a few episodes of the new season.

Not sure if it counts as Slice of Life but I would def. watch more Oreimo if it came out.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:17:41 AM by Genowyn »

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1314 on: March 29, 2016, 12:04:32 PM »
Yes, Koyomimonogatari is one of them.

It's not that harsh, more that the turning point between like and dislike is a lower number: a 4 or 5 rather than your 7. I like neat things, especially in terms of math, and little is neater than a 5.0 average. Unless extraneous circumstances present themselves (eg. anime club, widely discussed airing shows), I will drop titles I don't care for, so my average score of finished series is higher than that.

As for SoL: it's my most reliable genre. I can pick up almost anything from it and expect to, at the very least, have a good time. As long as the character dynamics are interesting and the show doesn't actively piss me off, I will have little trouble finishing a SoL title.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1315 on: March 30, 2016, 03:22:00 PM »
Oh boy. I could go nuts in this thread but I'll try to keep it tame. My taste in anime is different from most. Lighthearted slice-of-life is what I usually watch, with some random other stuff mixed in. I like comedy and cute things as central themes.

Currently watching Kanamemo (don't get it confused with Kanamewo because they are very different o.o) and I'm enjoying it a lot. Finished episode 9 recently and I've found that the characters in this one are actually quite deep compared to most anime in this genre. Yume and Yuuki are a sweet and adorable couple (Yume with her hair down omg <3) and everybody has a distinct personality.

Episode 10 is calling me :P I'll have to make some time for it later.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 04:02:35 PM by SuperTaco »
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1316 on: March 30, 2016, 06:10:07 PM »
Oh boy. I could go nuts in this thread but I'll try to keep it tame. My taste in anime is different from most. Lighthearted slice-of-life is what I usually watch, with some random other stuff mixed in. I like comedy and cute things as central themes.

:tup Same here! In my case, my favorite "genres" are Slice of Life and artsy stuff (ie, the works of Ikuhara and Yuasa). As far as Slice of Life goes, I've found that I greatly enjoy it in most of its numerous forms, with the sole exception of the so-called tearjerkers such as AnoHana. Before getting into SoL, I never imagined that mundane shows about 'nothing' could be so engaging.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1317 on: March 30, 2016, 09:44:13 PM »
As far as Slice of Life goes, I've found that I greatly enjoy it in most of its numerous forms, with the sole exception of the so-called tearjerkers such as AnoHana.

Yeah. I generally avoid ones like that. I like joy and happiness in my anime, and a little drama is ok as long as there isn't too much.

In summer 2014 I really found my true love for it. It's become one of those things I can't go too long without, or I go a bit crazy xD
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1318 on: March 30, 2016, 10:41:06 PM »
It takes another Brotherhood to slay the king.

:neverusethis:

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1319 on: March 31, 2016, 03:45:19 AM »
Anohana is great.
I started watching Erased yesterday. If didn't have to study for exam I would probably finish it (it has only 12 episodes). Such a great anime :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1320 on: March 31, 2016, 06:53:53 AM »
As far as Slice of Life goes, I've found that I greatly enjoy it in most of its numerous forms, with the sole exception of the so-called tearjerkers such as AnoHana.

Yeah. I generally avoid ones like that. I like joy and happiness in my anime, and a little drama is ok as long as there isn't too much.

In summer 2014 I really found my true love for it. It's become one of those things I can't go too long without, or I go a bit crazy xD

In my case, it isn't that I dislike sad shows, but rather that I value subtlety. Any subtlety in shows like AnoHana is quickly undermined by the numerous "are you crying yet?" moments. Consequently, my eyes remain dry. Now that I think about it, this is the one of the reasons I didn't like Erased.

Speaking of subtlety, I highly recommend a show called Yuyushiki. It's no So Ra No Wo To or Non Non Biyori, but I found myself smiling throughout its entire duration. I love the subtle character development on the part of its lead; it's a small, yet clever and realistic, change in her personality that brought a newfound appreciation to earlier parts of the show.

It takes another Brotherhood to slay the king.

:neverusethis:

But Gintama slayed the king...

By the way, did you ever finish Shinsekai Yori? If so, what did you think of it?

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1321 on: March 31, 2016, 01:17:51 PM »

Speaking of subtlety, I highly recommend a show called Yuyushiki. It's no So Ra No Wo To or Non Non Biyori, but I found myself smiling throughout its entire duration. I love the subtle character development on the part of its lead; it's a small, yet clever and realistic, change in her personality that brought a newfound appreciation to earlier parts of the show.

Looks good. It's on my list of things to watch now :) Thank you.

It might take me a while to finish Kanamemo though. I have a habit of delaying the final episodes because I don't want it to end. Sometimes its tough moving on to a new anime when I'm so involved in the one I'm currently on.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1322 on: March 31, 2016, 01:42:06 PM »
But Gintama slayed the king...

Yeah, but Gintama only has a few users who voted for it, has it is a recent entry. It wil probably go down as time goes while Brotherhood is already well established.

By the way, did you ever finish Shinsekai Yori? If so, what did you think of it?

Recently, i entered a movie phase and animes ended up taking the blow but Shinsekai is first priority in my anime watchlist. I will get to it eventually, i promise  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 01:55:26 PM by Outcrier »

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1323 on: March 31, 2016, 03:36:06 PM »
You don't like One Punch Man, you don't like Erased, now I find out you didn't like AnoHana?

maaaan

I have a feeling you would not like many of my favorite shows.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1324 on: March 31, 2016, 03:40:13 PM »
I didn't liked AnoHana either  :laugh:

But, maybe i'm a bit biased. Only anime i liked from that genre was Clannad (and AF) after all.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1325 on: March 31, 2016, 03:43:44 PM »
I'm scared to list my favorites xD I'd be shocked if anyone here likes what I like.

I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility though..

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1326 on: March 31, 2016, 04:56:16 PM »
You don't like One Punch Man, you don't like Erased, now I find out you didn't like AnoHana?

maaaan

I have a feeling you would not like many of my favorite shows.

Well then, let's find out. Those are far from my most controversial anime opinions.  :)

I'll list some of my favorites as well.

The Tatami Galaxy
Shinsekai Yori
Mawaru Penguindrum
Kaiba
Welcome to the NHK
So Ra No Wo To

Those are all of my completed shows I have rated 9 on MAL, plus The Tatami Galaxy, which is my sole 10. Aside from Kaiba, all of those are relatively well known, so there's a good chance you've seen at least one. You've mentioned a lot of the shows I have rated just below those, such as F/0, Madoka Magica, Monogatari SS, and Katanagatari, in the past.

I'm scared to list my favorites xD I'd be shocked if anyone here likes what I like.

I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility though..

I haven't been watching SoL for too long, but as long as they're nothing too obscure, I have likely heard of most of your favorites. Who knows, maybe I've watched one!

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1327 on: March 31, 2016, 05:24:01 PM »
I do love Penguindrum.

My top 5 (there may be some nostalgia glasses):
1) Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
2) Kara no Kyoukai
3) Bakemonogatari (actually the whole series besides Nise)
4) Elfen Lied
5) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Some other honourable mentions: Steins;gate, Madoka, Fate/Zero, FMA Brotherhood, Toradora, Evangelion, Azumanga Daioh...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 05:34:30 PM by Genowyn »

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1328 on: March 31, 2016, 05:32:19 PM »
My top 10:

FMA: Brotherhood
Kaiji
Code Geass
Fate/Zero
One Piece
Death Note
Steins Gate
Legend of Galactic Heroes
Parasyte
Monster

So, Kaiji aside, pretty conventional stuff. Now, about controversial opinions:

Highly rated animes that i didn't like: Evangelion and AnoHana.

Highly rated animes that i only found decent: Angel Beats, Tengen Toppa, Hellsing Ultimate and Cowboy Bebop.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1329 on: March 31, 2016, 05:36:19 PM »
Oh yeah how did I forget Code Geass?

Re: Angel Beats I love Key and Jun Maeda and didn't think this show was that great. The joke of people getting killed and then the super depressing ED playing for a few seconds was brilliant, though.

...my name is Araragi.