Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 228252 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2009, 01:00:52 PM »
Sorry Faemir, but I still think Higurashi is superior to Umineko. We'll see, though :p

I'm watching Akira.  For the first time.  I have no excuse for not having seen this sooner, but eh.  It's good so far.  :smiley:

You're right, you have no excuse :p

Make sure you watch Perfect Blue next :D

...my name is Araragi.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2009, 01:03:17 PM »
Sorry Faemir, but I still think Higurashi is superior to Umineko. We'll see, though :p

I'm watching Akira.  For the first time.  I have no excuse for not having seen this sooner, but eh.  It's good so far.  :smiley:

You're right, you have no excuse :p

Make sure you watch Perfect Blue next :D

You can't be telling people to not watch stuff when you haven't seen Baccano!  :P

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: September 25, 2009, 01:07:20 PM »
I have way too many shows on my plate right now. Catching up with FMA Brotherhood, watching Umineko, watching Rurouni Kenshin, watching Outlaw Star, my friend wants me to watch Peacemaker Kurogane, not to mention a couple other animes I'm (re)watching with people. Too much stuff :p

...my name is Araragi.

Offline faemir

« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2009, 01:21:32 PM »
I have way too many shows on my plate right now. Catching up with FMA Brotherhood, watching Umineko, watching Rurouni Kenshin, watching Outlaw Star, my friend wants me to watch Peacemaker Kurogane, not to mention a couple other animes I'm (re)watching with people. Too much stuff :p

NO EXCUSE!

Seriously, I like Baccano! more than Umineko and Higurashi.

Plus it's only ~14 episodes in total!

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #179 on: September 25, 2009, 04:48:45 PM »
So how good is Bubblegum Crisis

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2009, 05:04:38 PM »
As I said before, I have been catching up with FMA Brotherhood...and it just happened again  :'(

...my name is Araragi.

Offline faemir

« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2009, 06:26:44 PM »
I should also probably mention that despite being very gorey and full of action, Baccano! also is the funniest anime i've ever seen by far. Not that i've seen many funny ones, so a better comparsion would be that it's funnier than most comedy that have come out in the last decade  :tup

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: September 26, 2009, 07:01:27 PM »
I refuse to believe it could be funnier than Azumanga Daioh or Haruhi  >:(

...my name is Araragi.

Offline faemir

« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
I refuse to believe it could be funnier than Azumanga Daioh or Haruhi  >:(

It made me laugh more than Azumanga Daioh, haven't seen haruhi. It's just these two character's that are so funny and amazing - my favourite anime characters ever. Me and a friend started watching it not knowing what to expect and ended up laughing hysterically for far to long for it to be healthy.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2009, 07:26:07 PM »
The test is: Do you think Excel Saga or Puni Puni Poemi are funny?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline faemir

« Reply #185 on: September 27, 2009, 07:08:11 AM »
The test is: Do you think Excel Saga or Puni Puni Poemi are funny?

Don't watch Excel Saga.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: September 27, 2009, 10:04:07 AM »
I can't tell if that meant that you don't or that I shouldn't. Either way I guess it proves that I can sort of trust you about what counts as funny :p

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: September 27, 2009, 11:21:22 PM »
For some reason I started watching Lucky Star. This show is so dumb. Faemir, does your show have mindless Azumanga style lulz or is it more plot driven? I need some of the former kind, and right now Lucky Star is the closest thing I have.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline JoeBob

• I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2009, 01:26:39 AM »
I should also probably mention that despite being very gorey and full of action, Baccano! also is the funniest anime i've ever seen by far. Not that i've seen many funny ones, so a better comparsion would be that it's funnier than most comedy that have come out in the last decade  :tup

I'll agree with you on that.  Baccano! is amazing and one of the funniest things I've ever seen.  Everyone needs to check this show out.
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: October 14, 2009, 11:43:25 AM »
I've started watching Gurren Lagann because of the 'epicness' thread. It's okay so far, I'm not such a fan of mecha though (although I loved what I saw of code geass (3/4th of the first season).

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: October 14, 2009, 12:51:16 PM »
The beginning of Gurren Lagann is a little shaky, imo, but it increases in epicness tenfold in the second half.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #191 on: October 14, 2009, 12:55:23 PM »
Yeah, I'm not really a fan of mecha stuff either, but TTGL is one of my favorites.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #192 on: October 14, 2009, 01:07:06 PM »
The beginning of Gurren Lagann is a little shaky, imo, but it increases in epicness tenfold in the second half.
Yeah, I'm not really a fan of mecha stuff either, but TTGL is one of my favorites.

Both these posts are win and are made up of an absolutely truth. VERY funny shows.

However...neither of them are as funny as Gintaman. I've been reading the Gintama manga for a while and have loved every page of it, but never watched the anime until a friend of mine let me borrow the set. It's...amazing. I've been watching it with a friend of mine, who may I add detests anime, and we were both in stiches with laughter. It's just amazing. The seiyu in the show put 110% into their characters, I can't believe some of the things they say. Such a crazy show.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #193 on: October 26, 2009, 07:58:31 AM »
Just popping in the thread to list my fave animes (out of the ones I've seen)

Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Case Closed
Lupin the III
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline faemir

« Reply #194 on: October 27, 2009, 08:56:50 AM »
So I started watching The Sacred Blacksmith. It seems okay, apart from the boob jokes :facepalm

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: October 28, 2009, 07:36:22 PM »
Goooodaaaaaamn

I've been playing Fate/Stay Night recently, and (warning: MAJOR Spoilers for F/SN, specifically Unlimited Blade Works to follow) I just found out that Archer is Shirou. Completely caught me by surprise. I had been thinking he was Kiritsugu, and now that I think about it it makes sense, but...DAMN.

This game is too awesome.

...my name is Araragi.

« Reply #196 on: October 28, 2009, 07:57:21 PM »
Yeah, Darker Than Black is alright.

Offline ehra

« Reply #197 on: October 28, 2009, 08:30:47 PM »

You know, I just saw a thread on this series earlier today. I came into this thread getting ready to ask about it and, lo and behold, Genowyn already has me covered on the most recent page.

For anyone curious, the thread was about who would win: a world full of epic level DnD mages or the cast of TTGL. All of the talk about throwing galaxies at people and being able to hit everything everywhere at any point in time all at once had my interest piqued.

Offline JoeBob

• I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
« Reply #198 on: October 29, 2009, 12:11:47 AM »

You know, I just saw a thread on this series earlier today. I came into this thread getting ready to ask about it and, lo and behold, Genowyn already has me covered on the most recent page.

For anyone curious, the thread was about who would win: a world full of epic level DnD mages or the cast of TTGL. All of the talk about throwing galaxies at people and being able to hit everything everywhere at any point in time all at once had my interest piqued.

I really need to check this series out as well.  I've been meaning to watch it for a while now.
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline wasp2020

« Reply #199 on: October 29, 2009, 03:19:41 AM »
Gurren Lagann is a great, fun show, don't let it pass you by.

In the middle of Serial Experiments Lain right now, it's been on my "to-watch" list for a while now. Great show, good atmosphere and dialogue (something I didn't really expect in more psychological shows, which tend to try and force people to speak all "deep" to make it look cool, where here it actually feels more natural than in most shows)

Just finished watching Samurai Champloo and reading Beck a while ago, both great stuff. Not really watching anything from this season though, and really only watched Spice and Wolf 2, Bakemonogatari, and Zan SZS (subs where?) during last season.

also whatever, favorite series:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Monster, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, 20th Century Boys (manga), Berserk (manga, although anime was pretty good too)

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: November 03, 2009, 03:00:49 PM »
I started watching Kara no Kyoukai the other day, has anyone else been watching it?

For those who don't know, it's a series of movies based on a series of novels written by Kinoko Nasu, most famous for being the writer for Type-Moon (so, Tsukihime, Fate/Stay Night and Melty Blood). It's apparent that some of the concepts from Tsukihime are taken from KnK, it could be seen as sort of a Tsukihime "prototype" but I think it does pretty well on its own.

Anyways, any Type-Moon fans or fans of good anime in general should check out Kara no Kyoukai.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline faemir

« Reply #201 on: November 04, 2009, 09:21:32 AM »
It's rediculously awesome when you understand an entire medium size sentence that a character says in japanese without subtitles  ;D

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: November 04, 2009, 12:35:54 PM »
Hehe. I can understand a few words that get used a lot, and some phrases, but I don't think I could watch anything without subs. I should try watching an episode I'm really familiar with without subs and see how I do.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline faemir

« Reply #203 on: November 05, 2009, 05:30:27 PM »
I do Japanese GCSE though :)

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #204 on: November 06, 2009, 10:38:51 AM »
Since the last time I posted, I've watched parts of Full Metal Panic and Fruits Basket.  I like FMP better than FB, but I only watched three episodes of each.

BTW, does anyone know how different Elfen lieds manga is from the series?  I'm thinking about trying to find the manga... also, will there be a second series?
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2009, 03:13:03 PM »
Just got into a new(ish) anime called To Aru Kagaku no Railgun. It's about a city full of students, mainly magic users, and apparently mostly female as well, and their daily life of mishaps and the organization called Justice which...you can guess. It's very funny, cute, lighthearted. The animation is absolutely fantastic, as is the artwork itself, which is fairly colorful and varied. Voice acting kind of grates every now and then with the occasional female seiyu having such a high pitched voice. But I like it thus far, I'm on episode 5, which is the current one as far as I know. I think I'll keep up with it. Oh yes, and the music is wonderful too, very dreamy, but picks up the pace at those action packed moments.

But the anime that has caught my attention the most recently is Fairy Tail. It is so very funny, almost Gintama funny. But the storyline and characters are what draw me in most. It feels like a fusion of a Toriyama Akira anime and a Final Fantasy-ish OVA. The animation is average, nothing spectacular, but the artwork, like Railgun, is very, very colorful and lighthearted. Music hasn't caught my attention yet, but I don't expect it to, it seems to be more of background music rather than a full fledged score. Either way, the whole thing comes together nicely and I'm looking forward to more. I haven't had a chance to read the manga but I've heard great things from that as well.

Other than that, I've been keeping up with Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, which is amazing as always; and Dragonball Kai, a blast from the past, and continually impresses with the animation.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

« Reply #206 on: November 06, 2009, 03:21:17 PM »
How good is Serial Experiments Lain, I've been meaning to check it out for a while.

Offline wasp2020

« Reply #207 on: November 07, 2009, 03:16:16 AM »
How good is Serial Experiments Lain, I've been meaning to check it out for a while.

It's good. It's quite surreal.

Offline faemir

« Reply #208 on: November 07, 2009, 04:52:43 AM »
But the anime that has caught my attention the most recently is Fairy Tail.

They made a Fairy Tail anime?!

*runs to get it*

The manga rocks, it's my second favourite. I hope the anime is as good!

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: November 08, 2009, 03:04:03 PM »

It's good. It's quite surreal.

Just don't expect something that has like...a narrative :p

...my name is Araragi.