Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 228254 times)

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #1260 on: December 06, 2015, 02:07:23 PM »
Owarimonogatari is split cour, so there will be another ~12 episodes in Spring (?) 2016. After that, we have Koyomimonogatari and Owarimonogatari Zoku (these will likely be shorter, ala Neko:Kuro, Hana, and Tsuki), plus the Kizumonogatari film trilogy, the first of which comes out in about a month. There is still a good deal of Monogatari content ahead.  :)
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1261 on: December 06, 2015, 09:42:13 PM »
Gah I can't wait that long to find out what the fuck Ougi's up to (and who/what she actually is, because I don't buy for a second that she's who she says she is, and I'm sceptical about her being 100% human.)

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1262 on: December 14, 2015, 01:51:40 AM »

love it

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1263 on: December 24, 2015, 04:33:53 PM »
Now that most shows have finished airing, here is my top 5 TV series of 2015:

1. Non Non Biyori Repeat
2. Shirobako (I haven't finished this one yet, but this is where I would rank what I have seen)
3. Yuri Kuma Arashi
4. Shokugeki no Soma
5. Owarimonogatari
13. One Joke Man

The only reason OPM is not my least favorite new anime is because I watched a few really shitty series in my university's anime club.

This upcoming winter looks a lot more promising than any season this year, with the possible exception of summer.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: December 24, 2015, 06:00:34 PM »
hahaha what even though

1) Owarimonogatari
2) One Punch Man
3) Unlimited Blade Works pt. 2
4) Stardust Crusaders Egypt Arc
5) Iunno Durarara or something?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1265 on: December 24, 2015, 08:58:51 PM »
13. One Joke Man

The only reason OPM is not my least favorite new anime is because I watched a few really shitty series in my university's anime club.

You'd think at least based on animation standard alone it wouldn't be so low. :lol

Anyways, I'll contend that I still got a lot of enjoyment out of the first season. Animation was absolutely amazing, it's hilarious with a lot of genuine laughs in there. It's a great parody/satire on the shounen genre as a whole. I can see it not being everyone's cup of tea, but I can't say I'm not excited for season two.

I'm not gonna go out of my way and say it was "my favorite anime of the year", cause honestly I don't watch much anime anymore these days, but I think it deserves the praise it's been getting.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1266 on: December 24, 2015, 10:57:59 PM »
You'd think at least based on animation standard alone it wouldn't be so low. :lol

Animation wise, it looks...okay. It doesn't come close to just about anything Kyoani or ufotable have done in the past five years, and is merely on par with most of Madhouse's other recent work. Though, I admit, I am not a fan of its art style. :lol

My problems lie in its story. I was intrigued by the show's direction after episode five. Unfortunately, OPM did not follow through. Investigating the corruption in the Hero Association would have been a fascinating take on the genre, and would have worked perfectly with the show's satirical nature. Instead, OPM opted to repeat the same joke over and over. It was funny the first few times, but became boring by the end. Compounded with a lackluster cast of characters and a genre I generally dislike, my view of the series should not be a surprise.

I'll definitely watch the second season when it airs, but OPM did not entice me to pick up the source material.

In other news, the English release of the Kizumonogatari novel came out last week. Its pretty good so far.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1267 on: December 25, 2015, 12:41:00 AM »
Yay I get to read that before I see the movies?

I liked another Nisioisin book I read, the Deathnote one, and I enjoyed the Haruhi books. I'd love to get the Katanagatari books in English.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1268 on: January 21, 2016, 07:14:49 PM »
bump

ERASED THO

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1269 on: January 21, 2016, 08:58:32 PM »
My prediction about this season was wrong. Of the ~10 I've tried, only one or two manage to rise above mediocrity. Even Erased, one of the better titles, is nothing special. Winter 2016 is even worse than last year's, and that season only had 2 worthwhile shows (3 if you count Shirobako).

At this point, my only anticipated upcoming title is JoJo's.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1270 on: January 21, 2016, 09:26:27 PM »
I'm really digging Erased so far, but it's totally the type of show I'm into. I saw the first episode of Dimenson W and it seemed like it has potential but does seem pretty standard. I might check out Dagashi Kashi because ??

I've also been catching up on older shows, just about finished with Charlotte. Jun Maeda doesn't disappoint. I do feel like a whole series could be made out of the last episode's premise, though.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1271 on: January 21, 2016, 09:53:15 PM »
Watched Parasyte after reading the manga. At first, it was a bit strange, since they modernized the characters and all (the manga started being published during 89') but, in the end, i thought it was an excellent adaptation. Loved it.

Now, caughing it up with some recent animes adapted from completed mangas, i'm watching Psycho-Pass. Enjoying it so far (despite the case of the week format).

EDIT: Well, it seems that format was only present during the very first episodes.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:28:14 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1272 on: January 21, 2016, 10:08:46 PM »
When done well, the dark, serious psychological/drama shows such as Erased end up among my all time favorites (see: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Welcome to the NHK, Mawaru Penguindrum, Shinsekai Yori, and so on). At the same time, this type of title is really easy to fuck up. Even a small misstep can break the immersion these shows depend on.  Unlike, let's say, Slice of Life, there is very little middle ground in this genre. For every example I loved, I can name several that I thought were awful.

In the case of Erased, I think that it will most likely join the latter category; both A-1 Pictures and Itou have largely unimpressive track records. I'm more worried about the director than the studio, though. A-1 made two of my top 5 (the aforementioned Shinsekai Yori, and So Ra No Wo To), so they have the potential to do well. The only Itou works I've liked are those where he had very minor roles.

I hope that I am wrong, but I predict that Erased will fall apart in its final quarter, if not before then.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1273 on: January 21, 2016, 10:40:48 PM »
I hope that I am wrong, but I predict that Erased will fall apart in its final quarter, if not before then.

Well, that also depends in the mangaka, not only the director and the manga isn't even finished yet.

Since you mentioned it, i'm planning to see Shinsekai Yori next. Normally i like to read the manga before watching the anime adaptation but i read at MAL that the Shinsekai Yori manga is all ecchi, fanservice and boobs. Seems A-1  Pictures put they own spin on it since the anime is so well regarded.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1274 on: January 21, 2016, 10:55:57 PM »
Both the Shinsekai Yori anime and manga are adaptations of a novel (not an LN, but an actual novel). From what I have heard, the anime is easily the more faithful of the two. I have not read the novel yet, as I am waiting for the fan translation to finish.

I'm worried about Erased because the manga isn't finished, and the studio intends to adapt its intended ending.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1275 on: January 21, 2016, 11:07:38 PM »
Both the Shinsekai Yori anime and manga are adaptations of a novel (not an LN, but an actual novel).

Ok, didn't know that (they didn't mention it at MAL), that explains it then.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:47:52 AM by Outcrier »

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1276 on: January 23, 2016, 07:28:24 PM »
I personally really liked Shinsekai Yori.  I only watched the anime but there is a lot of depth to the show.

I'm watching R.O.D the TV right now.  I remember it being shown on G4 Tech a while ago but never was able to watch the whole show.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1277 on: January 31, 2016, 12:16:27 PM »
Finished Psycho Pass. It was solid (loved the tone) but a bit underwhelming, i surely expected more of it give the praise.

Now, into Shinsekai Yori. I know it has supernatural elements but does it ever gets all weird like, say, Paranoia Agent? I'm asking because i hate that kind of anime.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1278 on: January 31, 2016, 02:36:49 PM »
>hate something made by Satoshi Kon

We can't be friends

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1279 on: January 31, 2016, 02:47:45 PM »
We already are (at MAL)  ;D

But don't worry, only Satoshi Kon i watched was Paranoia Agent.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1280 on: January 31, 2016, 04:10:23 PM »
Now, into Shinsekai Yori. I know it has supernatural elements but does it ever gets all weird like, say, Paranoia Agent? I'm asking because i hate that kind of anime.

The supernatural stuff is limited to PK, if I recall correctly. I haven't seen PA yet, so I'm not sure what you mean by 'weird'. If you are referring to an eccentric "mindfuck" type of show, then SSY is not weird. The story is somewhat complex, but not hard to follow. You won't have to analyze it to figure out what happens.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: January 31, 2016, 05:22:44 PM »
We already are (at MAL)  ;D

But don't worry, only Satoshi Kon i watched was Paranoia Agent.

Well check out Paprika and Perfect Blue, and if you don't like those...

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1282 on: January 31, 2016, 06:54:20 PM »
The supernatural stuff is limited to PK, if I recall correctly. I haven't seen PA yet, so I'm not sure what you mean by 'weird'. If you are referring to an eccentric "mindfuck" type of show, then SSY is not weird. The story is somewhat complex, but not hard to follow. You won't have to analyze it to figure out what happens.

Yeah, "mindfuck", that's the word i was looking for. Thanks for the info, good to know  :tup

Well check out Paprika and Perfect Blue, and if you don't like those...

...we can't be friends  :)

Tbh, his movies are much more well regarded than Paranoia Agent.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1283 on: January 31, 2016, 07:54:55 PM »
I'm still really enjoying Erased. I get the fear that the ball could be dropped but it's been so damn good so far.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1284 on: February 01, 2016, 05:24:19 AM »
I'm still really enjoying Erased. I get the fear that the ball could be dropped but it's been so damn good so far.

I'm not a fan, but it is the best currently airing 24 minute series. I also fear that the ball will be dropped; I suspect that, if it does, it will be sometime after this current arc, most likely in the final 3 episodes.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1285 on: February 05, 2016, 04:51:58 PM »
I started Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei; how the hell did I not watch this earlier? It's like Monogatari, but even better!

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1286 on: February 05, 2016, 07:59:24 PM »
I can't agree 100% but it is a great show. If you like Hiroshi Kamiya and SHAFT I'll also recommend Arakawa Under the Bridge.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1287 on: February 12, 2016, 11:23:49 AM »
I was never enamored by it to begin with, but my interest in Erased continues to wane every week. I like the atmosphere, the voice acting of the MC, and... that's about it. If this weren't THE super popular show to watch this season, I would have dropped it by now. I dislike time resets and the mystery genre, and this show embraces both.

A few posts back, I mentioned how I like "dark, serious, psychological/drama" shows. Erased fits none of those labels, except for maybe the last. My definition of dark is a little different from the conventional one (it has to do more with tone than content), so I'll skip that. My big issue is that Erased is hard to take seriously. I'll give an example for this one: Airi's backstory. It was meant to be sad, and I spent its entire duration laughing my ass off. Really, your life was ruined over a fucking candy bar? I can't take this, and other significant aspects of Erased, seriously.

Essentially, it failed to get me invested in the story. When I'm not invested in a show, I actively nitpick it to a much greater extent than I would otherwise. In return, my investment drops even further, and the cycle continues. It's arguably my worst viewing habit, though not one that I want to change anytime soon.

It's gotten to the point where I now prefer Kyoani's Masturbatorium, a show with next to nothing to offer in terms of story and characters, over Erased. At least the former has amazing visuals/production values (as expected from Kyoani) and one surprisingly great episode.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1288 on: February 12, 2016, 09:09:06 PM »
I disagree. I still dig it.

I love time travel anime... Steins;gate, Madoka, Girl Who Leapt Through Time, I could go on. I also like mysteries and I feel that anime has never been very good at executing series mystery stories. You get shows like Kamisama no Memochou which started off with an extraordinary episode and then got into stupid shit about magic drugs and stolen chest wraps, or you get shows like Un-Go where the main character has a sidekick who has a power which basically lets them solve mysteries? wtf

Can't wait for that Ace Attorney anime.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1289 on: February 24, 2016, 06:32:36 PM »
The best show I've watched so far this year is Kaiba. It's my second Masaaki Yuasa work (the first being my current favorite anime, The Tatami Galaxy), and, well, he struck gold again. I love how his works are propelled by compelling thematic exploration, make no sacrifices in the character and story departments, and wrap it all up in an eccentric, unique method of presentation, both in terms of art style/atmosphere and narrative structure. Kaiba often managed to do more in a single episode than most series do in an entire cour, and, like in The Tatami Galaxy, everything came together beautifully in the end.

It's a series that I rarely see mentioned, and highly recommend to anyone looking for something a little different.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1290 on: March 04, 2016, 08:32:39 PM »
I'm going to see Kizumonogatari tomorrow. It's my second time seeing an anime film on the big screen (the first being DBZ: Resurrection F back in August), only this time it's for a franchise that I actually like. Shaft did a great job (visually, at least; the story was, well, controversial) with the Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica film trilogy, especially Rebellion, so I look forward to seeing Monogatari with film production values.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1291 on: March 06, 2016, 07:02:44 AM »
Lucky you, afaik there are no showings in Canada. I saw the first two Rebuild of Evangelion films in a Theater so that was sweet.

Looking forward to next season... Diamond is Unbreakable, Danganronpa 3 (which should be better than the original Danganronpa anime as it will be original rather than an adaptation), Ace Attorney...

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1292 on: March 07, 2016, 01:42:28 PM »
Lucky you, afaik there are no showings in Canada. I saw the first two Rebuild of Evangelion films in a Theater so that was sweet.

Aww, that sucks. The movie was a lot of fun, and is up there with much of Bake and SS. The character animation was much more expressive than in any of the TV entries, and a combination of the VAs and animation gave each character more personality than ever before. My one comment art-wise is that I found it strange how Shaft went for a more, I guess realistic, approach to architecture. The conversations and atmosphere were just as good as in the series, and as a Monogatari fan, I couldn't help but love Kizu. I'll definitely go see parts two and three in theaters whenever they come out.

Looking forward to next season... Diamond is Unbreakable, Danganronpa 3 (which should be better than the original Danganronpa anime as it will be original rather than an adaptation), Ace Attorney...

I'm definitely hyped for JoJo's. I loved parts 2 and 3, and have heard that it gets even better from there.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1293 on: March 10, 2016, 07:11:38 PM »
re: Erased

AAAAHHHH I KNEW IT I CALLED THAT SHIT MOTHERFUCKER

Also regarding your concerns about the anime having a different ending than the manga, the manga did end March 4, so it's possible the mangaka told the whole story to the studio since he knew his finale would come before theirs.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1294 on: March 10, 2016, 09:07:32 PM »
It's a shame that such great atmosphere and overall directing are wasted on a mediocre story. Previous episodes had violated some of my writing pet peeves, but the two most recent ones went much further in doing so. This show has become increasingly impossible to take seriously.

As for the reveal itself, I also called it. It really couldn't have been anyone else; no other characters were built up enough to be suspects.

I never thought I'd say this, but DEEN has been killing it this season; they animated both of my top two currently airing titles (Rakugo and Konosuba).