Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 228256 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #1190 on: December 24, 2014, 09:46:14 PM »
Man I'm way behind on Parasyte...

and Fate/Stay Night...

and Grisaia no Kajitsu (I guess)

I'm behind on my animu is what I'm saying.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1191 on: December 24, 2014, 09:47:19 PM »
Fate is another one I'm interested in. Heard nothing but good things. I'm way too particular on my shows though, it's gotta grab me by my throat from episode one or I'm not even gonna give it the time of day.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1192 on: December 24, 2014, 10:26:24 PM »
I just finished my Neon Genesis Evangelion/End of Evangelion rewatch.

Now, for something controversial: I consider the last two episodes to be the best part of the original series (with episodes 11, 16, and the run of 20-23 not too far behind). I love how everything is presented here, composed entirely of the characters' inner thoughts. Many of the episodes I previously mentioned have elements of this, though none took it nearly as far. The movie is even better, as it combines the psychological approach of the last two episodes with gorgeous imagery in order to showcase beautiful themes. It is a serious contender for my favorite film of all time.

It was not until this rewatch that I realized how much analytic potential this series has. I will certainly come back to it many times, likely with the intention of trying to understand it better.

Fate is another one I'm interested in. Heard nothing but good things. I'm way too particular on my shows though, it's gotta grab me by my throat from episode one or I'm not even gonna give it the time of day.

I have the opposite issue: if I begin something, I am unwilling to drop it, even if it is terrible. Personally, I prefer my side of the extreme; many shows do not get good until after a few episodes. Though I may occasionally force myself to sit through disgusting garbage, I am usually able to get something out of a series, making the risk well worth it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:33:16 PM by Randaran »
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1193 on: December 24, 2014, 11:16:43 PM »
I used to be like that and eventually realized my own fault that by the time I ended the series I was thinking "why the everloving FUCK did I watch that shit?". Now I'm on the other extreme, as I said. Granted, it's worked out much better for me considering that every show I do end up watching, I love to hell and back. I've applied the same concept to the manga I start, but then again I've had that concept since I started reading manga; it's just tougher and more rewarding. With anime, it's easier to get into because it's...well, it's a show. It's not reading and thinking, television is another form entirely. But in terms of manga translated to anime, I've noticed that I much prefer the anime that are original and not based on a manga. Which is why Parasyte caught me completely off guard, because I read the entire manga before the anime was even announced. Anyway, good stuff; hopefully CR will pick up more anime that are original.

RIP DTP.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1194 on: December 25, 2014, 07:53:23 PM »
So I watched Nichijou.  Not sure how to describe it, but it was amazing.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1195 on: December 25, 2014, 07:59:52 PM »
So I watched Nichijou.  Not sure how to describe it, but it was amazing.
:tup

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1196 on: March 21, 2015, 05:31:05 PM »
Has anybody watched Monster? Definitely my fav anime - it's such a complex, emotive story, set in Germany in the 80s, with lots of characters and subplots going on. It can be quite long (74 chapters), and the pace slow, but it totally delivers with some fascinating scenes and smart twists. I recommend it if you want something mature and serious.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1197 on: April 02, 2015, 11:17:06 PM »
I've seen somewhere in the range of the first 20-30 episodes. I keep meaning to get back into it.

New season starts soon~

I'll have to take another look at the chart to see if there's anything besides Fate/Stay Night I'll want to see...

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1198 on: April 04, 2015, 09:23:42 PM »
I've seen somewhere in the range of the first 20-30 episodes. I keep meaning to get back into it.

New season starts soon~

I'll have to take another look at the chart to see if there's anything besides Fate/Stay Night I'll want to see...

Pretty much all of the shows I am interested in seeing are sequels, the exception being Plastic Memories. I know literally nothing about it other than that it was written by the same author as Steins;Gate, which is more than enough to gain my interest.

In other news, I finally finished the Unlimited Blade Works route in the F/SN VN last week, and am about halfway through Heaven's Feel. UBW's second season should be great, even if I am only watching to see the fight scenes animated.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline adace

« Reply #1199 on: April 11, 2015, 04:42:03 AM »
Just watched Redline for the first time. My jaw was glued to the floor pretty much the whole time.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1200 on: April 12, 2015, 12:46:36 AM »
Would anyone be interested in making/reading top 25 anime lists? If so, should it be done in this thread or a new one?

(also if so I volunteer to go first :P)

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1201 on: April 12, 2015, 07:10:51 AM »
Would anyone be interested in making/reading top 25 anime lists? If so, should it be done in this thread or a new one?

(also if so I volunteer to go first :P)

I've only seen about 70 series/movies/etc thus far, so I would not be able to make my own, but I would definitely be interested in reading others' lists.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #1202 on: June 24, 2015, 02:37:11 PM »
I`m planning to buy Ghost in the Shell - SAC 1 next month, since it will be released on BD for the first time in Germany. Never watched anything out of the GitS universe, but I only heard good about it
(especially about SAC and the first movie) so I`ll give it a try. Next one on my list of unwatched anime still to watch is Cowboy Bebop (only watched the movie), but first things first.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1203 on: June 25, 2015, 05:57:38 AM »
I`m planning to buy Ghost in the Shell - SAC 1 next month, since it will be released on BD for the first time in Germany. Never watched anything out of the GitS universe, but I only heard good about it
(especially about SAC and the first movie) so I`ll give it a try. Next one on my list of unwatched anime still to watch is Cowboy Bebop (only watched the movie), but first things first.

I just finished Cowboy Bebop a few days ago, though I have not seen the movie yet. Aside from my first few series, it is the only one I have watched in English. With the exception of a few minor characters, the dub is very well done. The series is nowhere near my all-time favorites, but I still liked it a lot.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1204 on: July 01, 2015, 07:56:34 PM »
I'm sure I've seen all of Cowboy Bebop (thanks Cartoon Network), but I've never watched it all in order.  I've been working on that.  An amazing show.

Recently I bought DVD copes of Texhnolyze and Millennium Actress.  I've seen MA and am glad I found a copy.  As much as I like Perfect Blue I think I enjoyed MA more.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #1205 on: July 08, 2015, 11:21:54 AM »
I am a fan of classic anime of the 1970s.  I grew up watching the bastardized American versions of Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers) and four unrelated robot cartoons that were dubbed in English and packaged (along with a space spoof of the Three Musketeers) as Force Five, with a different show telecast on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.  When I was a bit older I watched the bastardized version of Macross, known here as the first generation of Robotech, as well as the other two generations which were completely different shows retconned into the same universe.

In the nineties, most of these series became available on video, at least partially.  Out of nostalgia, my friends and I snatched up as much of this stuff as we could.  Eventually, I got turned on to the original Japanese versions of Yamato and Macross, which were far superior.  I have yet to see the Japanese versions of the later two Robotech generations, but I imagine they are much better than their American counterparts.

I also received a bunch of other videos from my friend that he didn't want his girlfriend to find after they moved in together (not hentai), including The Guyer, MD Geist, Arcadia of My Youth, and Akira, the landmark anime that people who aren't anime fans have probably heard of.  Arcadia got me heavily into Captain Harlock (now spelled Herlock)  that encouraged me to buy his comic books and subsequent series, except for the abomination that is known as Captain Harlock and the Queen of A Thousand Years, which were two separate series spliced together in order to be made eligible for syndication in U.S. markets.  Instead of being a multi-generational series like Robotech, they spliced parts of both series in each episode, where the main characters didn't interact and a narrator explained that they had met off camera, so to speak.  Even as a ten-year-old I could tell that something was seriously wrong with this show.  They were recently uploaded to YouTube, but I couldn't get past a few episodes.  Nostalgia only goes so far.

For whatever reason, I never got into modern anime series, like Cowboy Bebop or anything that was on Toonami or Adult Swim, maybe because I usually worked third shift and never ran into them on my own.  I did like Megas XLR for the brief time it was on, because it made references to and parodied old anime I grew up watching, but it has never been released on DVD or BluRay as far as I can tell.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: July 08, 2015, 12:33:32 PM »
>cowboy bebop

>modern anime

>17 years old is modern

So much great anime has been released since you stopped watching. In fact most anime that's garnered significant critical acclaim was post Holy Trinity (Bebop, Eva, Lain). Based on the kind of stuff you did watch though something like Gurren Lagann or Star Driver might be up your alley?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #1207 on: July 09, 2015, 12:17:23 PM »
I've been rewatching Neon Genesis Evangelion (Someone else on this page a few months ago did the exact same thing) over the past week or so. Since watching it for the first time a number of years ago it shot into my favourite show of all time category and watching it has been an experience. So many things I missed out on the first times around and so many new things to love. It's actually one of the biggest influences on how my life has gone, if I didn't get into it I would never have gotten into writing fan-fiction of it, which spurred me into writing for a gaming site I had for a number of years which helped lead to my current job in the Games industry, a lot to be thankful for to it. Also cosplaying Shinji is a lot of fun :)

After it I've picked up Gainax's first proper series, Nadia to watch. Really looking forward to seeing that one :)

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1208 on: July 09, 2015, 07:29:28 PM »
Evangelion is one of those shows that gets better and better each time you see it. There are so many minor details and subleties, in terms of lore, plot, characterization, character development, and so on that make rewatching the series such a rewarding experience. It is also my all-time favorite show.  :tup

If you liked NGE, you may also like the works of Kunihiko Ikuhara. To date, he has made three major series: Revolutionary Girl Utena, Mawaru Penguindrum, and Yurikuma Arashi, though I have yet to see the last one. His characters are all complex, and he brings the surreal and symbolic elements found in series such as NGE to the next level. My favorite work of his is Mawaru Penguindrum, so I recommend starting there. Just don't take anything literally, especially in the second half of the series. Focus on the characters and themes instead, and you should be fine.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #1209 on: July 10, 2015, 02:12:08 PM »
Evangelion is one of those shows that gets better and better each time you see it. There are so many minor details and subleties, in terms of lore, plot, characterization, character development, and so on that make rewatching the series such a rewarding experience. It is also my all-time favorite show.  :tup

This is really true, it's a series that is really made for watching more than once. You just pick up so many more details on each run through, for me on this time is was how the characters interacted, and the subtleties of their actions. I saw a lot more in how the relationships developed than I did the first time around, especially in Shinji/Asukas relationship, how it builds and breaks down. Obviously I mentioned it in my previous post but I am a fic writer, part of the reason I watched it again is because I'm working on something but it's also been on my to-do list for a long time. Over the last year I finally got my own place so I had somewhere to display my figures, and could finally afford to get the merch I wanted to (And the cosplay, Plugsuits are not cheap :P) so it was really rewarding to watch it. Although it was really emotionally exhausting to, it's always had that effect on me.

Utena is one I've always heard of, one of those ones that pops up on a lot of peoples top ten lists but I've never actually checked it out. I definitely need to do so, so I'll have to give it a shot. Mawaru Penguindrum I'll check out as well!

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #1210 on: July 12, 2015, 04:55:13 PM »
I've been rewatching Neon Genesis Evangelion (Someone else on this page a few months ago did the exact same thing) over the past week or so. Since watching it for the first time a number of years ago it shot into my favourite show of all time category and watching it has been an experience. So many things I missed out on the first times around and so many new things to love. It's actually one of the biggest influences on how my life has gone, if I didn't get into it I would never have gotten into writing fan-fiction of it, which spurred me into writing for a gaming site I had for a number of years which helped lead to my current job in the Games industry, a lot to be thankful for to it. Also cosplaying Shinji is a lot of fun :)

After it I've picked up Gainax's first proper series, Nadia to watch. Really looking forward to seeing that one :)

Unfortuneately I haven`t watched this series; it`s really hard to get a DVD of it in Germany, but I watched the first movie of the Rebirth of Evangelion series in TV recently (the other two will be aired during the next weeks) and I have to admit that it was pretty great.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: July 12, 2015, 06:04:28 PM »
You really shouldn't watch Rebuild without watching the original series. Rebuild, despite its name, is a sequel, not a reboot.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #1212 on: July 13, 2015, 06:33:53 AM »

Unfortuneately I haven`t watched this series; it`s really hard to get a DVD of it in Germany, but I watched the first movie of the Rebirth of Evangelion series in TV recently (the other two will be aired during the next weeks) and I have to admit that it was pretty great.

Yeah from what I understand the rights to the original series are up in the air right now. ADV had the rights to the original series, at least in the US/UK (Not sure about Germany) but ADV went under and the rights are currently with nobody, which is a huge shame because considering it's place in the history of the medium and it is the 20th anniversary it seems odd that no one has picked it up. Possibly a reason for it that is being kept under wraps but still odd.

Death/Rebirth and End Of Evangelion in the UK were licensed by Manga Entertainment, those rights have also expired as far as I know and are with nobody. So yeah only Rebuild is really avaliable to purchase/being produced. Even then Funimation haven't actually released 3.33 yet, they're apparantly working with Studio Khara on the Sub/Dub track for it. :/

----

I still haven't fully subscribed to the sequel theory just yet. I know there is a lot of evidence, especially when you couple it with Annos words about how Eva is a story that repeats. I'm just waiting for 3.0+1.0 to see the direction. 3.33 threw a ridiculous spanner in the works so I can only guess at what is happening.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1213 on: July 13, 2015, 07:04:38 AM »
Evangelion is not that hard to find on ebay, though you will need a region free player if you buy a US copy. I'm also not sure about ebay's international shipping charges.

If you do decide to go that route, I recommend getting a Platinum collection for the series, and the Manga release of End of Evangelion (though, unfortunately, it does not use the Japanese remaster, and therefore has variable video quality and is much too bright at times. There are no other non-Japanese releases of the film that I know of). Don't bother with Death and Rebirth. When looking for a copy of the original series, you need to look out for a few things. This page should help with that. It may take quite a bit of searching to find a legit copy for a low price, but it hopefully will not take too long. I would consider $60-80 to be a good price. The movie tends to go for around $35-50.

On the other hand,  the series is being rereleased on Bluray in Japan next month. It is possible that a company will pick it up for a Western release shortly afterwards, especially now that Rebuild of Evangelion is almost complete.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1214 on: July 13, 2015, 09:17:42 AM »
I don't think it really qualifies as a theory. The colour of the ocean and some of Kaworu's lines make it pretty clear what has happened imo.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1215 on: July 18, 2015, 04:31:49 PM »
Watching Sword Art Online for the first time.

What a great show. I'm into it So much.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1216 on: July 18, 2015, 05:10:02 PM »
Watching Sword Art Online for the first time.

What a great show. I'm into it So much.

I dropped it after a few episodes because I found everything about it except for the production values meh. It just is not my type of show.

What shows are you guys watching this season? My favorite so far is Gakkou Gurashi. I never really cared for Slice of Life until I watched K-on! and So Ra No Wo To earlier this year (the latter of which is absolutely beautiful both visually and thematically, and is a show that I highly recommend), and this one combines it with an unusual supplementary genre, horror. I cannot think of any other shows like it except for maybe Elfen Lied and Higurashi. I have a feeling that Genowyn may like it.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1217 on: July 18, 2015, 07:48:39 PM »
So far nothing, but I will definitely be catching up on Working!!! and Durarara!!x2. Gangsta seems like it could be good, will also be checking out God Eater because I love me some ufotable.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1218 on: July 19, 2015, 01:39:45 PM »
Honestly,  I prefer the show with japanese. My friends' netflix has it that way. Yet,  mine on my ps3 is in English.  ???
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1219 on: July 19, 2015, 03:07:44 PM »
Honestly,  I prefer the show with japanese. My friends' netflix has it that way. Yet,  mine on my ps3 is in English.  ???

Pause the video and press down; there should be a menu for audio and subtitles. That is assuming that I remembered the correct procedure; I rarely watch anime on Netflix.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1220 on: July 20, 2015, 05:00:30 PM »
Gawd I missed my anime/manga buddies and this thread while away.

I am absolutely loving Gangsta so far, I haven't read the manga but I might have to if they keep up this awesomeness. I am literally about to finish the first episode of God Eater and it looks pretty cool, I really love the art style; but it hasn't blown me out of the water or anything.

I tried to watch the anime of Tokyo Ghoul but my immense love for the manga wouldn't let me get past the first few episodes of Season 2. Hopefully it's done right later down the line but I don't have high hopes for that. Other than that, I've still pretty much been manga-only for a while but now that I've got Hulu I think I'm going to try and get into some new anime series...I just don't know what. There's TOO MANY!

I have a confession: I've never seen NGE or Ghost In The Shell, two anime that pretty much every otaku raves over. I think I might check those out before I delve into the current shows, but is there any other anime that aren't super new that is a must see? I'm prone to the darker and more dramatic shows.

Edit: I completely forgot Ushio and Tora, this is probably my favorite new show so far of the season. I haven't read the manga, but it totally looks like it was an old 90's series, but the animation is awesome and it's funny yet badass. Really excited about this one actually, I don't know how I forgot it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 10:52:35 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1221 on: July 21, 2015, 12:38:58 AM »
Just started watching Future Diary, I'm on Episode 3 and I'm hooked. Has anyone finished it, does it have a satisfying ending? I'm not even sure if it's based on a manga.

edit: oops...sorry to double post. Tired as hell.

RIP DTP.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1222 on: July 21, 2015, 07:42:12 AM »
Just started watching Future Diary, I'm on Episode 3 and I'm hooked. Has anyone finished it, does it have a satisfying ending? I'm not even sure if it's based on a manga.

edit: oops...sorry to double post. Tired as hell.

I have finished it, and, to put it lightly, let's just say that I didn't like it. It was entertaining enough for me to watch to the end, though. The ending to the TV series kind of sucked (though I liked how nihilistic it was, it was not in any way satisfying). Some say that the OVA, Redial, had a much better ending, but I found it to be inferior to even the TV ending.

And it is based on a manga.

In other news, I just finished my Fate/Zero rewatch yesterday. I liked it a lot more the second time around. The story was a lot darker than I had remembered, and now that I have read the Fate/Stay Night VN, I actually understood the last two episodes. Urobuchi makes great use of literary devices and his ability to write engaging dialogue. If only he was a bit better at writing characters, he would be one of my all time favorite authors.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: July 21, 2015, 10:35:34 AM »
In fairness to Urobuchi the characters in F/0 were created by Nasu and given to him. If you haven't you should certainly check out his other top-tier stuff, specifically Puella Magi Madoka Magicka and his (imo) masterpiece the VN Saya no Uta. If you're willing to read BL VNs I understand that Togainu no Chi and DRAMAtical Murder are also really good. (on this note, do you get the impression that Urobuchi might be gay? He writes a ton of BL, you've got Waver and Rider, when he does write male-female relationships they never come across as particularly healthy, and I won't spoil Saya no Uta but let's just say it seems like evidence in favor)

Also I really enjoyed Mirai Nikki. The very ending left a little to be desired but I'm not sure where else they could have gone with it tbh.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1224 on: July 21, 2015, 11:40:28 AM »
I have watched Madoka and read Saya no Uta, though I have not tried any of his other works aside from Fate/Zero.

As for him writing gay relationships, he hinted at a few in Madoka (with Madoka and Homura being the obvious one, but Sayaka and Kyoko exist as well). It's been a while since I've watched it, though, so I may be misremembering. Waver and Rider never came across as BL to me. Now that I think aboout it, his opposite sex relationships never end well.