Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 228237 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2009, 01:03:26 PM »
Cowboy Bebop is probably a sci-fi/western (kinda) series, follows a misfit group of bounty hunters on their adventures and such. Great action, great sense of humor, and overall a really enjoyable anime.

Elfen Lied is a sci-fi/horror series about an escaped diclonius (a race of mutated humans that have advanced psychic powers and are incredibly violent), who loses her memory and doesn't realize she's a diclonius, and ends up being taken in by two cousins, all the while the government is hunting her, attempting to kill her. It's horrifically graphic, with buckets of blood and nudity, and a few truly disturbing scenes. It's also incredible.

I'd recommend both.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #141 on: August 10, 2009, 01:19:40 PM »
sci-fi/western

GETTING IT NOW!

Nah, I'm not a firefly fanboy  :D

Oh, do I want subs or the dub? While that may seem like a silly question, I've been told that Cowboy Bebop had a very very good sub so...

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: August 10, 2009, 01:25:41 PM »
sci-fi/western

GETTING IT NOW!

Oh, do I want subs or the dub? While that may seem like a silly question, I've been told that Cowboy Bebop had a very very good sub so...

I'd go with the dubbed, the voice acting is quite good.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #143 on: August 10, 2009, 01:28:27 PM »
You may have already seen it considering its popularity, but I highly recommend watching Spirited Away. It's a wonderfully fantastical film about a young girl and her mother and father that, while moving to a new home, a new place, discover a "road" to the spirit world. The young girl ends up getting stuck in this world by entering a bath house and discovers many different spirits and otherworldly customers of this bath house. It's such an amazing film in both score, visuals, and plot. And if you have seen it, watch it again so I didn't type this for nothing.  :P
sci-fi/western

GETTING IT NOW!

I'd go with the dubbed, the voice acting is quite good.

I second this. One of the only anime series that I actually prefer to watch dubbed.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline faemir

« Reply #144 on: August 10, 2009, 01:44:47 PM »
You may have already seen it considering its popularity, but I highly recommend watching Spirited Away. It's a wonderfully fantastical film about a young girl and her mother and father that, while moving to a new home, a new place, discover a "road" to the spirit world. The young girl ends up getting stuck in this world by entering a bath house and discovers many different spirits and otherworldly customers of this bath house. It's such an amazing film in both score, visuals, and plot. And if you have seen it, watch it again so I didn't type this for nothing.  :P

I'm impressed by it's awards, I shall get it too!

okay, screw it, everyone give me a top 3 of both film and series, I have a long summer ahead of me :D

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #145 on: August 10, 2009, 02:08:11 PM »
Top 3 anime movies:

Akira
Grave of the Fireflies
Perfect Blue

Top 3 series:
Elfen Lied
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
NGE

buuut based on your post I'll assume you saw those last two already so instead I give you:

Elfen Lied
Berserk
Azumanga Daioh

...my name is Araragi.

Offline faemir

« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2009, 02:18:22 PM »
Top 3 anime movies:

Akira
Grave of the Fireflies
Perfect Blue

Top 3 series:
Elfen Lied
NGE

buuut based on your post I'll assume you saw those last two already so instead I give you:

Elfen Lied
Berserk
Azumanga Daioh

On the subject of Umineko... you should really get the visual novel, it's so much better - characters are better done and there aren't chunks of story missing.

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2009, 02:19:27 PM »
Movies:
Grave of Fireflies
Akira

Series:
Neon Genesis Evangelion
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2009, 02:28:18 PM »
Top 3 anime movies:

Akira
Grave of the Fireflies
Perfect Blue

Top 3 series:
Elfen Lied
NGE

Elfen Lied
Berserk
Azumanga Daioh

On the subject of Umineko... you should really get the visual novel, it's so much better - characters are better done and there aren't chunks of story missing.

Has that been translated yet? As far as I know none of the Higurashi ones have been translated, so I didn't think it would have been, either.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline faemir

« Reply #149 on: August 10, 2009, 02:40:27 PM »
Top 3 anime movies:

Akira
Grave of the Fireflies
Perfect Blue

Top 3 series:
Elfen Lied
NGE

Elfen Lied
Berserk
Azumanga Daioh

Has that been translated yet? As far as I know none of the Higurashi ones have been translated, so I didn't think it would have been, either.

https://witch-hunt.com/

and higurashi has been, my friend has read it but I don't have it.

edit: https://sonozakifutagotachi.blogspot.com/ looks promising

« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2009, 03:58:04 AM »
So I just started watching the series Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When They Cry, in english) and what a fucking awesome show this is. The first series of 5 episodes left me absolutely terrified, some of the most scary storytelling everywhere. The premise of the show is that it is a murder series, with some what of a Majora's Mask twist. After every so many episodes the story restarts over, and a new story plays out with the same characters.

If anything, I urge you to watch the first 2 episodes, these alone will probably engage you enough to want to watch the whole series.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: August 22, 2009, 08:17:05 AM »
Higurashi is probably tied with Elfen Lied for my favourite anime, I'd say it gets the edge because the characters are so friggin awesome. If you like it, Umineko No Naku Koro Ni (When the Seagull Cries) is a new anime at about 8 episodes so far made by the same people, you should check it out.

Speaking of Umineko, does anyone else who has watched it (or School Days, or Fate/Stay Night, or any other anime based on a visual novel (besides Higurashi since it mostly manages to avoid this)) get annoyed by the sloppy conversion of game mechanics? Like this red letter thing? Surely they could have come up with a better way to convert it than just having red letters fly across the screen? School Days was mostly ok with this, but there was one scene where someone asked Makoto a question and he paused for a really weird amount of time before answering correctly...just long enough to have picked a choice were it a game. Haven't fully seen Fate/Stay Night yet so I don't know if it does anything like that, but it was just an example :p.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline faemir

« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2009, 01:33:34 PM »
Speaking of Umineko, does anyone else who has watched it (or School Days, or Fate/Stay Night, or any other anime based on a visual novel (besides Higurashi since it mostly manages to avoid this)) get annoyed by the sloppy conversion of game mechanics? Like this red letter thing? Surely they could have come up with a better way to convert it than just having red letters fly across the screen? School Days was mostly ok with this, but there was one scene where someone asked Makoto a question and he paused for a really weird amount of time before answering correctly...just long enough to have picked a choice were it a game. Haven't fully seen Fate/Stay Night yet so I don't know if it does anything like that, but it was just an example :p.

Indeed, especially when I would understand some of it >=(

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: September 02, 2009, 04:56:57 PM »
Someone mentioned playing visual novels in here, and they're more of an anime thing than a game so I'll ask here: I'm playing one right now and I'm frequently waiting like 30 seconds between dialog boxes. Is this normal?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline faemir

« Reply #154 on: September 02, 2009, 05:46:15 PM »
Someone mentioned playing visual novels in here, and they're more of an anime thing than a game so I'll ask here: I'm playing one right now and I'm frequently waiting like 30 seconds between dialog boxes. Is this normal?

Not that I can remember, though I haven't read one in quite a while.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #155 on: September 02, 2009, 08:31:39 PM »
So...I watched Claymore. I don't know how many of you are familiar with it (it might have even been mentioned, but I'm too lazy to go and check and have forgotten), but it quickly became (about halfway through) one of my favorites. It's a shame that it was cut short (the last two episodes were filler, AKA non-canon, it was made up for the anime, while the manga went on), but as it is, it's a wonderful piece of work. The animation at times isn't the best, and the music repeats far too often, but that isn't a bad thing when every track is great. Voice acting is great, as usual from seiyu. The last two episodes, as to be expected, aren't as great or methodical as the rest of the show, but it's worthy I suppose.

I still wish oh so much that they'd continued the series...shame. Either way, highly recommended. After you watch Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop for those of you that haven't. For shame..

RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2009, 05:02:05 PM »
What the hell, Umineko?

What the fuck is WRONG with you, Battler? And also "Maria, it's about 10 years too early for you to be telling anyone to eat you. But make sure you tell me that in 10 years time." 1) Ew. 2) She's your COUSIN.

Also, Higurashi is now over  :sadpanda:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 05:13:36 PM by Genowyn »

...my name is Araragi.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #157 on: September 14, 2009, 01:49:14 PM »
I bought Elfen Lied on Saturday (found it used at a local store) and practically watched it all at once.  This is a great anime.  A good recommendation from the forum  :tup
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: September 14, 2009, 01:50:37 PM »
I bought Elfen Lied on Saturday (found it used at a local store) and practically watched it all at once.  This is a great anime.  A good recommendation from the forum  :tup
:tup :tup :metal

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: September 14, 2009, 02:15:04 PM »

Offline Neccy60

• Official Boards of Canada Fanperson
« Reply #160 on: September 14, 2009, 02:47:50 PM »

I was waiting for this thread to be revived.

I've been watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, which is basically FMA following the manga storyline, unlike the FMA anime that came before.  It's even better than the original FMA, apart from a few select scenes.  :metal

Quote from: axeman90210
Mr. Neccy, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: September 14, 2009, 07:35:17 PM »
What I've seen of Brotherhood seems...sorta lame to me. The (re-)addition of apparently random chinese royalty sorta throws me off.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2009, 10:44:48 AM »
So, a theater near me is going to be showing You Are (Not) Alone twice, which I was at first interested in, until I found out it's the dub. Why would I even want to see that? :\

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: September 22, 2009, 08:54:14 PM »
So, a theater near me is going to be showing You Are (Not) Alone twice, which I was at first interested in, until I found out it's the dub. Why would I even want to see that? :\

Well, as it turns out I won a free ticket from a contest that Anime News Network was doing, so I guess I'm going to see it :neverusethis:

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Neccy60

« Reply #164 on: September 22, 2009, 09:07:29 PM »

Well, as it turns out I won a free ticket from a contest that Anime News Network was doing, so I guess I'm going to see it :neverusethis:
lol

The Evangelion dub is good to me.  Obviously subs are better, but I still like it.  :smiley:

Mr. Neccy, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: September 22, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
Personally, I think the NGE dub is one of the worst I have ever heard. There are some I actually enjoy, and some dub actors I do like, but NGE is just...bad. Especially Shinji. His voice is more feminine than it was in Japanese and he's played by a man in English (was a woman originally).

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Neccy60

« Reply #166 on: September 22, 2009, 09:31:11 PM »
Personally, I think the NGE dub is one of the worst I have ever heard. There are some I actually enjoy, and some dub actors I do like, but NGE is just...bad. Especially Shinji. His voice is more feminine than it was in Japanese and he's played by a man in English (was a woman originally).
You've got a point with Shinji, lol.  But he's a pussy the entire series anyway, so yeah. D:

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #167 on: September 22, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Haven't posted in here in a while. I'm watching Dragonball Kai since it was such a beloved show in my childhood, and I was quite taken by how well they're 'remastering' the series. Granted, every time I watch the show I wish they would animate it as well as they do the intro; but aside from that, the voice acting is much better (quality-wise, the actors are the same), as is the rest of the audio (musically its much more vibrant and not so much a background track). But the real deal is the visuals, obviously; and for good reason, what they've done with it is amazing. I've watched the VHS version and Kai side by side and its surprising how much its been cleaned, re-colored, and...HQ-ified...(I'm.....Ron.....Burgandy?)

Anyway, good stuff. Aside from that I've been watching Code Geass, and just finished the first act, now on R2. Its an interesting show, but nothing spectacular, though there are a few scenes/instances that are really profound and well done. Yep. Re-watching Mushishi. I go to sleep to it every night, it's great.

RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: September 22, 2009, 10:27:16 PM »
Actually, Aya Hirano is playing Dende now, and she wasn't even born when the original show started, so it's not all the same cast :p

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #169 on: September 22, 2009, 10:34:01 PM »
Actually, Aya Hirano is playing Dende now, and she wasn't even born when the original show started, so it's not all the same cast :p

Oh, wow. Awesome. I had no idea they were completely redoing the voice overs. That's great news, this is the first time I've ever really watched the show in Japanese.

RIP DTP.

Offline faemir

« Reply #170 on: September 24, 2009, 09:15:16 AM »
What I've seen of Brotherhood seems...sorta lame to me. The (re-)addition of apparently random chinese royalty sorta throws me off.

No, it's awesome, and trust me, he plays a massive role later in the manga and so will in the anime  ;)

« Reply #171 on: September 24, 2009, 01:17:49 PM »

Because it is an amazing movie! The soundtrack is amazing, one of these days im going to get it.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: September 24, 2009, 09:48:37 PM »
I've seen the Japanese version, and I know it will be awesome to see on the big screen, but I just hate the dub so much :p

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Neccy60

« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2009, 12:58:04 PM »
I'm watching Akira.  For the first time.  I have no excuse for not having seen this sooner, but eh.  It's good so far.  :smiley:

Offline faemir

« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2009, 12:58:56 PM »
Umineko just keeps getting better and better.

But now i'm gonna go watch baccano!... again  ;D ;D

if you guys still need convincing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiSI_bYVl24