Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 228442 times)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #980 on: August 13, 2013, 12:30:33 AM »
I do prefer FMA Brotherhood to the first anime, but the way serious moments would often be interrupted by little comedy bits bugged me at times. Much more interesting set of baddies, though!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #981 on: August 13, 2013, 12:45:44 AM »
I don't even regard the first adaptation, as I am a strong believer in canon material when it comes to anime that are based on original manga. I enjoyed the first anime when it came out, but Brotherhood is in a different league, especially since there's absolutely no filler and it adds some original material that actually adds to the overall story; as opposed to being created strictly as 'filler' to fill a void since the original caught up to the manga at the time.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #982 on: August 13, 2013, 02:39:56 AM »
I haven't even seen the original. Brotherhood is one of my favorites though.

Also, Female Titan is epic.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #983 on: August 13, 2013, 05:03:22 AM »
So I started watching True Tears. I'm six episodes in, and I'm liking it so far. The first episode took a while to reel me in, but once the characters were all in place, it clicked, and got good pretty quickly.

Also, that reveal at the end of episode 6; Bam! I predicted it I think somewhere during episode 4, but I think they intentionally set it up that way. The build up to that moment was really well done.

Great recommendation SD.

Ohhh don't thank me just yet. ::)

BTW, I started and finished the series about two months ago...let's just say you should be prepared to have the Aburamushi song stuck in your head for all eternity.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline TL

« Reply #984 on: August 13, 2013, 10:35:24 AM »
So I started watching True Tears. I'm six episodes in, and I'm liking it so far. The first episode took a while to reel me in, but once the characters were all in place, it clicked, and got good pretty quickly.

Also, that reveal at the end of episode 6; Bam! I predicted it I think somewhere during episode 4, but I think they intentionally set it up that way. The build up to that moment was really well done.

Great recommendation SD.

Ohhh don't thank me just yet. ::)

BTW, I started and finished the series about two months ago...let's just say you should be prepared to have the Aburamushi song stuck in your head for all eternity.

Have watched through episode 8 now. Not going to lie, there were points during that episode where I half-wanted to stop just because I like where things are for some of the characters, and with four or five episodes left, I know there's no way something bad isn't going to happen there.  :lol

I mean, the ending of episode 7 led to a bit of a downer bit, but was sort of inevitable, and certainly could have been worse for those involved. The ending of episode 8 is just all kinds of ominous.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #985 on: August 13, 2013, 11:10:28 AM »
Yes, you're about to see why half of the fanbase has retconned episodes 9 through 12. I think it's a great series personally, and people miss the point. Let me know if you see it.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: August 13, 2013, 11:45:12 AM »
I got interested enough in Attack on Titan that I read through the manga so far. I was amazed at how similar the anime is to it. Sometimes the manga is less chronological in its story telling (the whole military training section being a flashback is a good example). Other than that, every scene is line-for-line, angle-for-angle the same. It's as if they used the manga for storyboarding the anime. So if you have been debating checking out the manga, you aren't missing anything; unless you just want to read ahead.

I will say, though. I was expecting the identities of the human titans to be the big twist of the series, even though their identities were kind of obvious, but there are way bigger surprises in the future. I am so glad for that.

Offline TL

« Reply #987 on: August 13, 2013, 09:04:27 PM »
So I'm saving most of my reactions for when I finish the whole thing.

One quick reaction in the meantime though for how things are going for Noe by the end of episode 10. I'll let Mr. Charles Brown sum it up for me;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq9JaTp7pFo

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #988 on: August 14, 2013, 03:54:12 AM »
I got interested enough in Attack on Titan that I read through the manga so far. I was amazed at how similar the anime is to it. Sometimes the manga is less chronological in its story telling (the whole military training section being a flashback is a good example). Other than that, every scene is line-for-line, angle-for-angle the same. It's as if they used the manga for storyboarding the anime. So if you have been debating checking out the manga, you aren't missing anything; unless you just want to read ahead.

I will say, though. I was expecting the identities of the human titans to be the big twist of the series, even though their identities were kind of obvious, but there are way bigger surprises in the future. I am so glad for that.
I'm so glad I've been able to avoid major spoilers for this show.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #989 on: August 14, 2013, 04:09:51 AM »
So I'm saving most of my reactions for when I finish the whole thing.

One quick reaction in the meantime though for how things are going for Noe by the end of episode 10. I'll let Mr. Charles Brown sum it up for me;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq9JaTp7pFo

Hehe...yeeeeep...

Offline TL

« Reply #990 on: August 14, 2013, 10:14:09 AM »
So I finished it.

Overall, I thought it was pretty good. Not the ending I was hoping for, but they handled it pretty well anyway. Honestly, until the last five minutes or so of the last episode, I thought they were going the other way with it.
I also definitely see why they basically un-did one of the big reveals from earlier. If he only chooses something because every other possibility is off the table, the choice is pretty meaningless.

Also, man, those last four or five episodes were just relentless when it came to Noe. That stuff with her brother, some of those scenes by the shore, the tree; just, damn. Still, while things didn't end quite how I were hoping they would for her, and it certainly isn't all smooth sailing ahead for her, they did give the sense that she'll ultimately be okay.

So yeah, overall, good recommendation. I'm glad I watched it.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #991 on: August 14, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »
So I finished it.

Overall, I thought it was pretty good. Not the ending I was hoping for, but they handled it pretty well anyway. Honestly, until the last five minutes or so of the last episode, I thought they were going the other way with it.
I also definitely see why they basically un-did one of the big reveals from earlier. If he only chooses something because every other possibility is off the table, the choice is pretty meaningless.

Also, man, those last four or five episodes were just relentless when it came to Noe. That stuff with her brother, some of those scenes by the shore, the tree; just, damn. Still, while things didn't end quite how I were hoping they would for her, and it certainly isn't all smooth sailing ahead for her, they did give the sense that she'll ultimately be okay.

So yeah, overall, good recommendation. I'm glad I watched it.

My opinion of it was much lower when I finished, until the moment where I finally "got" it. And my interpretation was a little different from yours. It's as follows:

See, his thing with Hiromi is she's the one whose tears he wants to wipe away. That's all pretty and romantic, but isn't exactly a solid basis for a relationship. What's key and is the strong basis for a relationship is the one who, as his father says, "makes your heart quiver." Noe is the one who makes his heart quiver. He doesn't know it and inevitably will fail to make the connection, but that is a sign of who really is the one for him.

And that's precisely the point: he chose wrong, and he won't know it until it's too late. Most of us have that "Noe" in our lives and for most of us it's just a bittersweet memory or regret we once weren't able to fathom - she wasn't the one who got away, but the one we decided to let go. I made a similar mistake once, so I do kind of sympathize with Shin (lucky I decided not to make the same mistake twice and ended up with my current girlfriend).

You see this unfold and know it will probably turn out to be a great regret; Shin and Hiromi will wind up exactly like Shin's parents - everyone pretty much knows that. The point is not to chase the girls whose tears you want to wipe away, but those who make your heart quiver. He made the wrong decision, and this is for those of us who realized too late. Happily I can say I quickly mended that mistake in my own life, but I think this anime series as a whole is a cautionary tale in that way.

Offline TL

« Reply #992 on: August 18, 2013, 10:35:10 AM »
My opinion of it was much lower when I finished, until the moment where I finally "got" it. And my interpretation was a little different from yours. It's as follows:

See, his thing with Hiromi is she's the one whose tears he wants to wipe away. That's all pretty and romantic, but isn't exactly a solid basis for a relationship. What's key and is the strong basis for a relationship is the one who, as his father says, "makes your heart quiver." Noe is the one who makes his heart quiver. He doesn't know it and inevitably will fail to make the connection, but that is a sign of who really is the one for him.

And that's precisely the point: he chose wrong, and he won't know it until it's too late. Most of us have that "Noe" in our lives and for most of us it's just a bittersweet memory or regret we once weren't able to fathom - she wasn't the one who got away, but the one we decided to let go. I made a similar mistake once, so I do kind of sympathize with Shin (lucky I decided not to make the same mistake twice and ended up with my current girlfriend).

You see this unfold and know it will probably turn out to be a great regret; Shin and Hiromi will wind up exactly like Shin's parents - everyone pretty much knows that. The point is not to chase the girls whose tears you want to wipe away, but those who make your heart quiver. He made the wrong decision, and this is for those of us who realized too late. Happily I can say I quickly mended that mistake in my own life, but I think this anime series as a whole is a cautionary tale in that way.
(Was going to reply sooner but I was down in the States for a few days without internet).

I like that interpretation. Admittedly, my take that I mentioned was only a small part of it, and really would have made more sense if he had ended up with Noe.

I was kind of leaning toward a similar interpretation to yours, but wasn't sure if I was only thinking that because of how I wanted things to end up (the 'Hiromi is the wrong choice' angle). It definitely makes the whole thing more poignant and interesting, as well as relatable.

So yeah, definitely a great series. Any other recommendations?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #993 on: August 18, 2013, 02:24:04 PM »
I'll do one better: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/CVArk

Read that list, and I'm sure you'll find something that piques your interest. Or Genowyn's, he has a really extensive list. Oh and if you're in the mood for a movie, I learned about True Tears as a recommendation after having seen Whisper of the Heart.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #994 on: August 19, 2013, 12:09:54 AM »
Any other recommendations?

ATTACK ON TITAN

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #995 on: August 19, 2013, 01:06:24 AM »
Any other recommendations?

ATTACK ON TITAN

X 123948723592163509817240951823076452612986170858247 TO THE INFINITY POWER-UP

this recent episode was SUPERB. GOD DAMN this show knows how to create some intense suspense. I can't get enough of this shit. I haven't been this into a manga/anime since GANTZ.

RIP DTP.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #996 on: August 20, 2013, 04:16:42 AM »
Hey guys, I've reviewed From Up on Poppy Hill: https://hoppedonpop.com/2013/08/20/from-up-on-poppy-hill-2011/

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #997 on: September 14, 2013, 05:56:03 PM »
Holy hell, Attack on Titan just doesn't know when to stop being awesome. This and Breaking Bad ending on the same weekend will be both sad and epic.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #998 on: September 14, 2013, 07:13:03 PM »
I haven't started watching Attack on Titan... planning one waiting until it's all been released first.

I'm about halfway through Shinsekai Yori right now.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #999 on: September 14, 2013, 10:47:45 PM »
I really hope they pick the show back up after the manga gets far enough ahead because it is truly incredible. Fast becoming my favorite anime given the animation quality, soundtrack, and the fact that there are zero fillers. Granted, it might be a while, but I would love it if they kept it pure canon material and continued with season 2 after a while.

Just about to watch the most recent episode.

RIP DTP.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1000 on: September 15, 2013, 04:38:06 AM »
Attack on Titan ep1 spoiler: https://i.imgur.com/OCuIxPc.jpg

HUEHUEHUEHUEHUE
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #1001 on: September 15, 2013, 04:40:03 AM »
 :rollin

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1002 on: September 15, 2013, 07:44:24 PM »
That was an awesome AoT episode. And for those who've read the manga, I think I know exactly where the end to this run of the show is going to be. It'll be a cliffhanger right at the reveal of the biggest twist of the story so far. People are going to freak. I am excited.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #1003 on: September 15, 2013, 11:09:53 PM »
That was an awesome AoT episode. And for those who've read the manga, I think I know exactly where the end to this run of the show is going to be. It'll be a cliffhanger right at the reveal of the biggest twist of the story so far. People are going to freak. I am excited.
I'm going to die waiting for season 2.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1004 on: September 25, 2013, 05:51:30 AM »
I finally decided to start watching Cowboy Bebop. What the hell was I waiting for!?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1005 on: September 25, 2013, 11:38:13 AM »
No shit! It's such an incredible series. Such fond memories...which is oddly a very large theme in the show itself.

And yeah, it's pretty obvious where they'll end S1 of Titan, Implode. I'm excited too, it's going to be a huge WTF moment; I hope it's done well. I have my reservations about certain adaptations they've done in the show, but for the most part this is a very faithful translation of the show and I love most of the artwork (though Isayama gets the creepy, foreboding horrific moments down much better...mainly with 'smiles' or 'stares').

RIP DTP.

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #1006 on: September 26, 2013, 06:15:19 AM »
So Watamote is the funniest/cringiest thing ever.

And to the people who read/watched Attack on Titan, have you ever gone back and reread it, it's crazy all the foreshadowing they do.

Offline TL

« Reply #1007 on: September 26, 2013, 11:12:02 AM »
So Watamote is the funniest/cringiest thing ever.

And to the people who read/watched Attack on Titan, have you ever gone back and reread it, it's crazy all the foreshadowing they do.
I actually just came in here because of Watamote. Just finished watching through it on a recommendation. Great show.

I was wondering if anyone here could recommend anything similar to it.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1008 on: September 26, 2013, 11:21:27 AM »
There is indeed a good amount of foreshadowing in the manga, I started noticing it pretty early on but figured I was just over analyzing things till...*that moment*. For some reason, I haven't noticed it in the anime, and I have yet to do my usual 'compare manga/anime side by side' spiel that always happens once a series (hopefully just 'season' for AoT) ends. I've been too caught up in all the awesome animation.

Watamote is amazing and it's probably my next obsession, I love that crazy little chick. I'm only on ep4 but it's got me good.

RIP DTP.

« Reply #1009 on: September 26, 2013, 12:36:07 PM »
There is indeed a good amount of foreshadowing in the manga, I started noticing it pretty early on but figured I was just over analyzing things till...*that moment*. For some reason, I haven't noticed it in the anime, and I have yet to do my usual 'compare manga/anime side by side' spiel that always happens once a series (hopefully just 'season' for AoT) ends. I've been too caught up in all the awesome animation.

Watamote is amazing and it's probably my next obsession, I love that crazy little chick. I'm only on ep4 but it's got me good.

Warning: Major AoT spoilers

https://z.mhcdn.net/store/manga/8886/041.0/compressed/d024.jpg?v=11357928222

That really blew my mind when you know the big reveal a couple chapters later.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1010 on: September 26, 2013, 12:58:17 PM »
 :tup :tup Indeed, there's some great storytelling by Isayama. He certainly knows tension.

Also, boo to the naysayers about his artwork. It fits the vibe and feel of the manga perfectly. I cannot wait until these moments (especially the pic you posted, and that mini-arc) are translated into glorious, colored motion with that amazing soundtrack.

RIP DTP.

« Reply #1011 on: September 26, 2013, 05:45:03 PM »
Hopefully there will be a season 2. Maybe by then they will finally get to the basement.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #1012 on: September 28, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »
Just watched the Titan finale. Holy shitballs, time to read the manga :lol

« Reply #1013 on: September 28, 2013, 05:27:47 PM »
Just watched the Titan finale. Holy shitballs, time to read the manga :lol