Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 228293 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #945 on: May 24, 2013, 09:24:02 PM »
Gonna have to agree with all of the other suggestions, and would like to also add on Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. One of the best animes ever, IMO. :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #946 on: May 25, 2013, 11:18:50 AM »
Gurren Lagann aired during my last, and probably final, big run of watching anime, and let me tell you, there's likely to be few people here into anime as long as I was. Watching Speed Racer and Marine Boy as a kid on a black and white TV in my room in the 70s, hanging out with anime fans who hooked together half a dozen VCRs (and one poor bastard's Betamax!) and duping someone else's fourth generation copy of the Macross movie and Megazone 23. Seeing Akira in a movie theater not once, but TWICE. Renting the slow trickle of badly dubbed anime that started flowing into video rental stores in the early 90s, buying series on VHS where you got two episodes a tape if you were lucky and you had to pick dubbed or subbed, and paid ten dollars more a tape subbed, into the days where anime DVDs and manga were omnipresent. A long ass haul.

And I loved Gurren Lagann, don't get me wrong. But Gurren Lagann was the last series I bought on DVD, and it marked, to me, the end of my interest in current anime. I haven't watched any new anime in years, since the completion of Gurren Lagann, which I liked so much I was torrenting the episodes as fast as someone fan subbed them. But since then, nothing coming out of Japan has really interested me. My favorite anime series remains Cowboy Bebop, and it's been that for fourteen years. Wow. This started as me heartily recommending Gurren Lagann and turned into a eulogy of my time watching anime.  :lol

Hey, though, I gave it over thirty years!
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #947 on: May 25, 2013, 03:27:25 PM »
Seeing Akira in a movie theater not once, but TWICE.

I would've loved to see it when it first came out in theaters here.  That was the first anime that really had me hooked (and is arguably my favorite anime film).  I was excited when I was in Tokyo in 2001 when I got a ticket to see the re-release in theaters during the Film Festival.  But then I had to sit through the second Armitage movie beforehand (didn't like it).

Atm, I've started a couple of series (the second season of K-On and Revolutionary Girl Utena).
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #948 on: May 25, 2013, 04:45:54 PM »
I am really interested in Utena but I've never watched it. I know the same Director made Mawaru Penguindrum, which I loved, and the same writer wrote on FLCL, NGE, Ouran, and Star Driver.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #949 on: May 27, 2013, 12:48:48 AM »

I would've loved to see it when it first came out in theaters here.  That was the first anime that really had me hooked (and is arguably my favorite anime film).  I was excited when I was in Tokyo in 2001 when I got a ticket to see the re-release in theaters during the Film Festival.  But then I had to sit through the second Armitage movie beforehand (didn't like it).

Oh, back then, seeing Akira in a movie theater, even with the less than passable Streamline dub, was like a religious experience for an anime fan. Anime on a freaking movie screen, man. I can't understand how awesome that was back then. Akira was also one of the first affordable anime videos to come out on VHS too, so it was pretty memorable for that as well. That first time was an amazing experience, and seeing it AGAIN was pretty damn cool too.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #950 on: May 28, 2013, 06:00:49 PM »

Oh, back then, seeing Akira in a movie theater, even with the less than passable Streamline dub, was like a religious experience for an anime fan. Anime on a freaking movie screen, man. I can't understand how awesome that was back then. Akira was also one of the first affordable anime videos to come out on VHS too, so it was pretty memorable for that as well. That first time was an amazing experience, and seeing it AGAIN was pretty damn cool too.

I bought the video and watched it so much I had all of Tetsuo's lines memorized  :lol  I didn't realize how bad the dubs were until I saw the reissue (and even now I still prefer the bad dubs). 

I started watching Future Diary.  I'm on episode 5 and am liking it.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #951 on: May 28, 2013, 09:07:28 PM »
Gawd DAYUM! Dat Titan. Eren is a fucking behemoth. I love this anime.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #952 on: May 28, 2013, 11:28:10 PM »
Gawd DAYUM! Dat Titan. Eren is a fucking behemoth. I love this anime.
:metal Every scene with that Titan was gold.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #953 on: May 30, 2013, 03:00:10 PM »
Has anyone seen Afrosamurai? I saw it tonight, and it was hillariously silly.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #954 on: June 12, 2013, 05:25:52 PM »
Whisper of the Heart was beautiful. Especially as a writer who's struggled with the same questions as the two leads, it really touched me at the core.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #955 on: June 12, 2013, 05:46:05 PM »
Seriously, if Titan keeps up the pace and continues with this awesomeness, it could end up being my favorite anime bar none. I am loving the shit out of this show. It's so crazy and amazing. I need this, given my precious Gantz is ending soon... I can't believe it....wahhh. Maybe they'll make an (another) anime of it soon... A justifiable one that's worthy. Anyone that likes Titan and doesn't mind manga should check out Gantz. Then you'll know why I'm comparing it...despite that Titan doesn't even come close to Gantz in my opinion...

I read the recent chapter of Titan and the artwork is interesting...I think I'll stick with the anime, but it looks amazing.

RIP DTP.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #956 on: June 12, 2013, 09:12:02 PM »
I've recently been obsessing over Evangelion. Not just the TV series but End of Eangelion, Death & Ribrith, the Rebuilds, all of it.

while i may catch some flack for this I gotta admit that I think I like the Rebuild films more than the original series, but both have their strong points. I like the new story line and all the details of the old series more than the Rebuilds but I think the new films do a lot better job at executing their story than the original (because let's face it as good as the old series was it had a lot of problems due to budget and all that :lol )

just my thoughts though, pretty excited for 4.0 whenever that comes out.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #957 on: June 12, 2013, 11:13:38 PM »
I am really interested in Utena but I've never watched it. I know the same Director made Mawaru Penguindrum, which I loved, and the same writer wrote on FLCL, NGE, Ouran, and Star Driver.

I've watched both Utena and Mawaru Penguindrum, and yet I never realized that the same director made both series. But yeah, if you're interested in Utena, I'd highly recommend it. Especially if you loved M.P. I rank Utena up there with Gurren Lagann and Cowboy Bebop personally.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #958 on: June 17, 2013, 04:05:20 PM »
So I finally got around to watching Madoka Magica. I was very sceptical at first but in the end I really liked it. Thanks everyone who recommended it! 8/10  :tup

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #959 on: July 05, 2013, 04:59:48 PM »
Finished Future Diary and started Haruhi.  I'm confused when it comes to broadcast vs. chronological order.  I'm watching the original 14 episodes (I guess it's considered season 1).  Then when season two came out, they aired both seasons mixed up? I"m on episode 10 of the 14 atm.

I hadn't started this series before just because of this confusion.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #960 on: July 05, 2013, 08:19:24 PM »
Anyone here watch Psycho-Pass?

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #961 on: July 06, 2013, 09:39:52 AM »
It's on my "to watch sometime in the future" list. Is it good?

Offline BanksD

« Reply #962 on: July 06, 2013, 12:44:06 PM »
Anyone here watch Psycho-Pass?

I watched it back when it was airing and I personally loved it. It had some problems with character development and I thought it peaked a little early (episodes 13-17 or so were great) but overall a solid 8/10 in my book.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #963 on: July 06, 2013, 02:52:30 PM »
True Tears. Not great, but I like it more as time goes on.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #964 on: July 07, 2013, 01:25:31 PM »
It's on my "to watch sometime in the future" list. Is it good?

I really like it! It's a traditional dystopian cyberpunk type thing, but one of the more entertaining aspects of it that makes it more interesting for me is that there are a lot of references to classical literature and music, which are really cool, and are used to reinforce messages the show tries to get across. I definitely recommend it.

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #965 on: July 08, 2013, 09:52:53 PM »
Just wanted to say that Gurren Lagann is an absolutely amazing show.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: July 15, 2013, 11:47:08 PM »
I've been watching Attack on Titan. Almost caught up now. It's pretty good.

First real anime I've seen actually.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #967 on: July 16, 2013, 02:42:53 AM »
Nice! It's really great.  :tup

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: July 16, 2013, 10:23:34 PM »
I caught up last night, and I really enjoy it. The themes are pretty similar to those in zombie apocalypse stories. I like the focus on how humanity reacts when on the brink of extinction and being backed into a corner. It's a great exploration of how different deal with fear too. That's a huge part of it. It seemed to really rush through the first few episodes, having large amounts of time pass frequently. Finding out later that it was a manga first makes perfect sense. I wouldn't say that detracted from the show at all though. Still very solid.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #969 on: July 16, 2013, 11:13:07 PM »
I'm caught up with the manga now; I just couldn't wait for the anime team to get to the point after that useless fucking recap episode... The worst thing about being an anime fan is having to put up with the occasional filler (or a shit-ton if you're into shonen...) even from amazing teams like Titan's. Eh, it's not a big deal but it was really not needed in the slightest this early (or at all...seriously, who picks up an anime in the middle and says "oh screw watching the episodes, they've got this nice recap episode just for me!"). The manga is fan-fucking-tastic, but I can completely see the anime bettering many parts of it. I can't wait to see how they fuck it up....*crosses fingers for an anime to begin AND end good for once*

RIP DTP.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #970 on: July 17, 2013, 12:05:44 AM »
Finished Future Diary and started Haruhi.  I'm confused when it comes to broadcast vs. chronological order.  I'm watching the original 14 episodes (I guess it's considered season 1).  Then when season two came out, they aired both seasons mixed up? I"m on episode 10 of the 14 atm.

I watched in chronological, but got bored halfway through the first season and gave up. I don't know if my mind would have been changed by the broadcast order. That stuff about Endless Eight pretty much convinced me to never come back though.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #971 on: July 17, 2013, 04:03:38 AM »
I'm caught up with the manga now; I just couldn't wait for the anime team to get to the point after that useless fucking recap episode... The worst thing about being an anime fan is having to put up with the occasional filler (or a shit-ton if you're into shonen...) even from amazing teams like Titan's. Eh, it's not a big deal but it was really not needed in the slightest this early (or at all...seriously, who picks up an anime in the middle and says "oh screw watching the episodes, they've got this nice recap episode just for me!"). The manga is fan-fucking-tastic, but I can completely see the anime bettering many parts of it. I can't wait to see how they fuck it up....*crosses fingers for an anime to begin AND end good for once*
I decided not to read the manga until the anime ends. I might cave though.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #972 on: July 17, 2013, 10:55:21 AM »
I've always been more of a manga fan than anime, so it wasn't a big deal for me; but it seems like the anime is doing a wonderful job adapting and expanding upon the manga, and the manga is not all that far ahead, so I'd wait. Chances are we'll run into either a hiatus or fillers at some point anyway.

RIP DTP.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #973 on: July 17, 2013, 04:13:14 PM »
Yeah, the biggest reason for me to not read the manga at this point is that my friends are watching the anime as well. I got tired of knowing more than them when we were watching Game of Thrones so I would like to keep it even now. Let the surprises come at the same time for all of us.

Offline TL

« Reply #974 on: August 10, 2013, 11:49:05 PM »
Edit to phrase a bit more eloquently;

Basically, yeah, I strongly disliked the ending to OreShura, and I knew most of the time watching it that my overall opinion was going to hinge heavily on the ending. The friend who recommended the show told me afterward that that sort of ending is typical for 'that kind of show', whatever that means. I don't have enough familiarity with these sorts of shows to know what's typical, or even to know what 'kind of show' this was.

Try True Tears.
Okay.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 11:11:46 PM by TL »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #975 on: August 11, 2013, 05:01:51 AM »
Try True Tears.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #976 on: August 11, 2013, 05:54:55 AM »
Just wanted to say that Gurren Lagann is an absolutely amazing show.

Gurren Lagann is my all-time favorite anime. I absolutely love that series to death. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline TL

« Reply #977 on: August 12, 2013, 10:27:11 PM »
So I started watching True Tears. I'm six episodes in, and I'm liking it so far. The first episode took a while to reel me in, but once the characters were all in place, it clicked, and got good pretty quickly.

Also, that reveal at the end of episode 6; Bam! I predicted it I think somewhere during episode 4, but I think they intentionally set it up that way. The build up to that moment was really well done.

Great recommendation SD.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #978 on: August 12, 2013, 10:33:09 PM »
I've been sorta rewatching Azumanga Daioh lately.  I started a new show, Shin Sekai Yori.  I've read good things on MAL about it, but haven't been in the mood for a heavy anime.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #979 on: August 12, 2013, 11:47:59 PM »
Attack On Titan just keeps getting more intense and more amazing episode after episode, if they keep up the quality of animation and don't do any fillers, then this could end up being my favorite anime in years.

I'm rewatching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and boy, is this a fantastic adaptation of a splendid manga. Really great quality and I am in love with the humor mixing with intense emotional storylines.

RIP DTP.