Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 228238 times)

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2009, 08:34:31 PM »
So sad that nobody mentioned SAILORMOON series. Pretty cool story for me...

The show every teenage boy watched obsessively and hid the fact from their friends.

:metal
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2009, 08:49:13 PM »
I have never seriously watched any shojo show...seriously.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2009, 09:26:17 PM »
I have never seriously watched any shojo show...seriously.

this. I think I maybe have seen 15 minutes of Sailor Moon in total.

So sad that nobody mentioned SAILORMOON series. Pretty cool story for me...

The show every teenage boy watched obsessively and hid the fact from their friends.

Nope, just you.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2009, 12:57:19 PM »
 :blush
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2009, 02:45:25 AM »
Jesus fuck, I watched the remake of Evangelion, that 1.0 movie, and it's fucking amazing. The actual angel fights play such a larger role in these films then they did in the show. Not to mention how fucking intense the fights are. Also, they did a amazing job on the soundtrack. I already can't wait for 2.0 to get released.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2009, 02:55:14 AM »
I am watching an anime show that there is only one season of in english, but it is an addicting show.  I am not naming it here because it is much too embarrassing.
why must we spoil this otherwise awesome message board with an anime thread

:(

why

Agree to disagree. You can't wrap your mind around how one can enjoy an animated series (though comparing it to American cartoons is just silly), and I can't grasp why one would clearly come here only to provoke the people that do like anime. Well done. You've accomplished...nothing. Except touting your own childish mindset and pissing off a few anime fans. If you're going to bash something, do it with more grace and intelligence next time as opposed to typing up something my 14 year old sister could.
 :flame:

In other news, I just finished the 8th episode of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood and I'm loving it more and more. It most definitely emits a vibe closer to that of the manga than the original series did. Each has it's own pros and cons but I'm liking Brotherhood more thus far. Charming and witty.
I take offense

My apologies, buddeh. *Caresses head with the utmost, intense love*

Oh, do name! There is no shame here. Sailor Moon? Pokemans? Chobits? Love Hina? I've seen 'em all (not even close, really. But a shitload) my friend, both embarrassing to the public eye and to myself. I sometime ask "wtf am I watching?". Alas, if one enjoys, it matters not.  :tup
um.  ohshc.  there are the initials.  :blush

Ah, Ouran High School Host Club, nothing to be ashamed of!  :angel: Great shojo manga. I've never seen the anime but if you get through the entire series, tell me what you think, it'd be another good addition to the growing list. Shojo isn't really my thing, but I've read a few very intricate, well thought, well constructed manga that have caught more than just my attention. Good stuff.
I watched most of the first season.  it is the only season they made in english.  I don't like the japanese versions only because I don't like to read when I wastch something, and also I think the voices suit the characters better in the english version.
It is funny, lots of inside jokes, which is kinda cool.  It isn't for you if you are looking for a real great story line that goes throughout the episodes and has a big bloody ending.  it is something you would watch if you just feel like watching a cute and funny show.  yes, I just used the word cute to describe something other than an animal.  :blush
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2009, 09:39:08 PM »
yes, I just used the word cute to describe something other than an animal.  :blush
I use it to describe girls all the time

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2009, 10:08:29 PM »
yes, I just used the word cute to describe something other than an animal.  :blush
I use it to describe girls all the time
ok other than describing people and animals.
www.bedeceived.com

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2009, 02:14:05 AM »
I just finished the second season of Code Geass and...damn.

Near the end I had honestly no idea who I was supposed to be rooting for, which I guess was the intention. Great ending.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2009, 02:59:12 AM »
does ANYONE here like ohhc?
I feel alone  :blush
www.bedeceived.com

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2009, 09:44:15 AM »
Thread revival time!

Everyone get Baccano! (yes the ! is part of the name)

I'm not going to try explain what it is, but wikipedia says:

"Baccano", which Narita translates as "stupid commotion", is Italian for "ruckus". Each of the stories in the series involves several unrelated plots intersecting and crossing each other as events spiral further and further out of control. Immortal alchemists, mafia operated speakeasies, and many other elements of pulp fiction mashed together for a world straight out of the movies.

It's also not in chronological order, which makes it even more fun (like memento did)

I can't express how amazing it is. Plus it's only 16 episodes.

Go and get it now before you regret it :)

Sidenote: started the new FMA brotherhood series, liking how they are not dragging things on and just speedily getting through the material that was in the first anime series like they did with DBKai

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2009, 02:45:23 PM »
ANYONE!??!?!
www.bedeceived.com

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2009, 02:49:54 PM »
ANYONE!??!?!

Apparently not :p

Now that I have finished Code Geass I don't know what to watch. I have the following on my computer waiting to be watched:

Tokyo Majin (which I have been watching with a friend)
Serial Experiments Lain (which I have been watching with a friend)
Mushishi
Outlaw Star
Peace Maker Kurogane
Hellsing (the original, not the OVA, I've seen the OVA)

Also, I'm partway through watching School Days and Monster online.

So which should I watch next, of these?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Secor

« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2009, 03:05:05 PM »
ANYONE!??!?!
I love Ouran High School Host Club :)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2009, 03:27:21 PM »
ANYONE!??!?!

Apparently not :p

Now that I have finished Code Geass I don't know what to watch. I have the following on my computer waiting to be watched:

Tokyo Majin (which I have been watching with a friend)
Serial Experiments Lain (which I have been watching with a friend)
Mushishi
Outlaw Star
Peace Maker Kurogane
Hellsing (the original, not the OVA, I've seen the OVA)

Also, I'm partway through watching School Days and Monster online.

So which should I watch next, of these?

The highest recommendation I can give is for Mushishi. I have friends that abhor anything anime/manga or for that matter Japanese related, and they themselves said that Mushishi was a work of art. That it is, to say the least; the music, the animation, the storyline, the voice acting, they all mesh and blend so well that you forget at times you're watching an anime. Wonderful series, even better manga.

Other than that, Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchō: Tō and its second season, Tō Dai Ni Maku, are wonderful anime, though nothing to spectacular, the artwork, animation, and storyline are great. The music and voice acting are forgettable though not bad by any means. Recommended AFTER you watch Mushishi.  :P

The others are in my eyes merely good at best, but I'm pretty picky when it comes to which anime I consider worth watching all the way through. A big "maybe" would be Outlaw Star, another one of Cartoon Network's anchor shows back in the day, I see it as a nostalgic anime, nothing more. But many people I know who are at least somewhat into anime say they loved it.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2009, 03:35:31 PM »
ANYONE!??!?!
I love Ouran High School Host Club :)
YES!  YOU ARE NOW ONE OF MY NEW FAVORITE MEMBERS!  ADDING USERNAME TO MEMORY NOW.
www.bedeceived.com

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »
I have come to a realization:

Gatsu from Berserk is the greatest song from any anime soundtrack, bar none. Hot damn.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2009, 12:56:42 AM »
Jesus fuck, I watched the remake of Evangelion, that 1.0 movie, and it's fucking amazing. The actual angel fights play such a larger role in these films then they did in the show. Not to mention how fucking intense the fights are. Also, they did a amazing job on the soundtrack. I already can't wait for 2.0 to get released.
Isn't this only in Japanese at the moment? Because I heard this is actually coming out soon with english dubs, which then I shall be all over it.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2009, 06:57:29 PM »
So I decided to continue with School Days (sorry Mushishi recommenders :p).

The people in this show make me angry. Sekai either needs to cut Makoto off until he actually breaks up with Katsura or he needs to man up and actually choose one of them. He seems to suffer from the same problem any primary male anime character faces if he gets within 10 meters of anything romantic: he's an idiot.

Edit: I finished it. Am I the only one who thought Makoto was an entirely unsympathetic character? Not that he deserved what happened to him, but he could have avoided it by not being such a manwhore.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 11:19:33 PM by Genowyn »

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: August 06, 2009, 03:50:36 PM »
Why is this thread so dead all the time?

Noone discusses things. Discuss things, guys. :p

...my name is Araragi.

Offline faemir

« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2009, 04:46:56 PM »
HEY GUYS! Remember how awesome Higurashi no naku koro ni was? Well the guy who made it made a new murder mystery called Umineko no naku koro ni (FYI higurashi... means when the cicadas cry, and umineko is when the seagulls cry).

ITS EVEN BETTER THAN HIGURASHI WOOOOO! Plus the anime adaption (I read the visual novel) is only on the sixth episode so you can catch up quick!

That is all.

Well not quite, go get Baccano! all your slackers, it's one of the best things ever. Promise.

Offline Kubla

« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2009, 09:48:53 PM »
Cowboy Bebop.
Samurai Champloo.
Monster.
Serial Experiments Lain.
Ergo Proxy.

I watched a chunk all of these in the same time period and it has been hard to get into other animes since then. It was just too much goodness all at once for me. Monster is the only one of these that I didn't finish. I forgot which episode I was on and it was like "oh damnit." I had gotten pretty far into the story too.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2009, 10:18:55 PM »
Cowboy Bebop.
Samurai Champloo.
Monster.
Serial Experiments Lain.
Ergo Proxy.

That is a massive chunk of win.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2009, 10:56:27 PM »
HEY GUYS! Remember how awesome Higurashi no naku koro ni was? Well the guy who made it made a new murder mystery called Umineko no naku koro ni (FYI higurashi... means when the cicadas cry, and umineko is when the seagulls cry).

ITS EVEN BETTER THAN HIGURASHI WOOOOO! Plus the anime adaption (I read the visual novel) is only on the sixth episode so you can catch up quick!

That is all.

Well not quite, go get Baccano! all your slackers, it's one of the best things ever. Promise.

Really? So far none of the characters have been nearly as endearing to me. I love the main group (including Hanyuu and Shion), and then you have immense badasses like Akasaka and Kasai, plus the SOUL BROTHERS! Maria is like an annoying version of Hanyuu. Battler's pretty awesome though.

And I like to believe Bernkastel is Rika.

...my name is Araragi.

« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2009, 04:13:12 AM »
Isn't this only in Japanese at the moment? Because I heard this is actually coming out soon with english dubs, which then I shall be all over it.
There is a fan sub on the website where I saw it. IMO try to go for subtitles, most dubs suck massive cock.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2009, 06:28:45 PM »
There is a fan sub on the website where I saw it. IMO try to go for subtitles, most dubs suck massive cock.
So I found a good sub through Veoh, and all I can really say is HOLY FUCKING WOW! I'm a long time fan of the Eva series, and have digested whatever I can when it came to the anime (too lazy to ever read any manga :P)

This re-telling of the series is outstandingly well done. The angels, the characters, the emotion, the combat/action. All of it's there, but intensified 10x. I truly feel even more attached to the story and it's characters through this film than I did from that actual television series (not counting The End of Evangelion, nothing really compares to that though). The soundtrack is also something to be praised here. It just sounds so right for each situation given (my favourite being the scene where Shinji is given the option to fight the 4th angel, and the piano in that scene is just so haunting, but works so wonderfully).

I cannot wait for 2.0.

tl;dr I LOVED 1.0: You are (Not) Alone.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2009, 02:59:24 AM »
I read some spoilers for 2.0 on fiveeight and some of the shit in the movie is going to be fucking intense. And yeah, I watched it from veoh too.

Offline Neccy60

• Official Boards of Canada Fanperson
« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2009, 11:21:45 AM »
So I found a good sub through Veoh, and all I can really say is HOLY FUCKING WOW! I'm a long time fan of the Eva series, and have digested whatever I can when it came to the anime (too lazy to ever read any manga :P)

This re-telling of the series is outstandingly well done. The angels, the characters, the emotion, the combat/action. All of it's there, but intensified 10x. I truly feel even more attached to the story and it's characters through this film than I did from that actual television series (not counting The End of Evangelion, nothing really compares to that though). The soundtrack is also something to be praised here. It just sounds so right for each situation given (my favourite being the scene where Shinji is given the option to fight the 4th angel, and the piano in that scene is just so haunting, but works so wonderfully).

I cannot wait for 2.0.

tl;dr I LOVED 1.0: You are (Not) Alone.
Shit, I just did that today around midnight.  Yeah, it's pretty awesome.  It was condensed, but it didn't really lose any of the emotions or epicness that I thought it would.  Very well done.  I'm definitely getting 2.0.  :metal

Quote from: axeman90210
Mr. Neccy, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2009, 02:17:21 AM »
FINALLY THIS GODDAMN STUPID HARUHI ARC IS OVER. WOW THANKS FOR MAKING A NEW SEASON AND WRITING LIKE 2.5 EPISODE'S WORTH OF MATERIAL FOR IT GUYS. PLUS THE CREDITS SEEM TO INDICATE THAT THE SEASON IS OVER. ARGH.

On another note, I'm enjoying Mushishi quite a bit. Just watched the one with the mountain and the weird bell noise from nowhere.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2009, 09:54:33 AM »
FINALLY THIS GODDAMN STUPID HARUHI ARC IS OVER. WOW THANKS FOR MAKING A NEW SEASON AND WRITING LIKE 2.5 EPISODE'S WORTH OF MATERIAL FOR IT GUYS. PLUS THE CREDITS SEEM TO INDICATE THAT THE SEASON IS OVER. ARGH.

On another note, I'm enjoying Mushishi quite a bit. Just watched the one with the mountain and the weird bell noise from nowhere.

Nice, that's one of my favorites. I can't get over how amazing the soundtrack to that show is as well. I mean, most of it is ambient nature sounds and chimes and such, but it is so wonderful to chill/fall asleep to.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline faemir

« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2009, 12:11:16 PM »
Right guys, I need you to recommend me a) the best anime film and b) the best anime series that I simply must watch.

I've got ghost in the shell (but unwatched  :blush) and so would want something different as well if you are going to say that.

I like everything from slice of life to shonen action to gory stuff like higurashi... so you have a nice wide selection :)

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2009, 12:12:35 PM »
Film: Akira
Series: Cowboy Bebop

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2009, 12:36:01 PM »

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2009, 12:45:11 PM »
That works too.

Offline faemir

« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2009, 12:48:26 PM »
care to elaborate? I would wiki or something but I've been spoilered way too many times by stuff like that. crono dies