Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 228203 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #700 on: December 08, 2011, 07:33:38 PM »
And wouldn't ya know it? They're not even gonna do a third season. :sadpanda:
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #701 on: December 08, 2011, 10:36:52 PM »
And wouldn't ya know it? They're not even gonna do a third season. :sadpanda:

I really doubt that. Haruhi is one of the most popular anime franchises ever and makes tons of money. They may be saying they're not going to do it now so that the hype is even bigger when they eventually go back on that. Aya Hirano (the actress who plays Haruhi) has recently hinted at being involved in some sort of big, semi-secret project at the moment...ya never know.

Anyway, do I take that to mean you've finished seasons 1 and 2? Have you seen Disappearance yet?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #702 on: December 09, 2011, 06:03:05 AM »
I'm currently about halfway through Disappearance. If not for finals week (and Endless Eight) I'd probably have muscled through the entire series in a day. :p

Edit: The only news about Haruhi on the 'net seemingly comes from this link: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-11-29/j-cast/kadokawa-has-no-plans-for-3rd-haruhi-tv-season
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 06:10:48 AM by Super Dude »

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #703 on: December 09, 2011, 09:39:49 AM »
I'm currently about halfway through Disappearance. If not for finals week (and Endless Eight) I'd probably have muscled through the entire series in a day. :p

Edit: The only news about Haruhi on the 'net seemingly comes from this link: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-11-29/j-cast/kadokawa-has-no-plans-for-3rd-haruhi-tv-season

Disappearance is the movie. The second season is just called "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 2" I think.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Secor

« Reply #704 on: December 09, 2011, 10:57:50 AM »
The second season killed my enthusiasm for the series. I have yet to see the movie :sad:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #705 on: December 09, 2011, 12:17:21 PM »
Definitely see the movie. I felt exactly the same about the second season (granted, my last episodes before the movie were from Season 1 due to the Haruhi order), and the movie won me back almost immediately.

What's weird is that what I hated about season 2 wasn't Endless Eight so much as the Sigh made Haruhi into a complete bitch, when up until that point I had been rooting for her somewhat.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: December 09, 2011, 10:58:08 PM »
The second season killed my enthusiasm for the series. I have yet to see the movie :sad:

The movie is, imo, the greatest animated film ever made.

Just to give you an idea.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Secor

« Reply #707 on: December 10, 2011, 01:10:59 PM »

The movie is, imo, the greatest animated film ever made.

Just to give you an idea.

Well, now you got me all excited! I guess I'll have to get it ASAP!

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #708 on: December 28, 2011, 05:45:42 PM »
I was gonna do a "Top 10 Animes of 2011" thing with writeups but I don't want to so instead here is just a list of only 5 animes:

5) Fate/Zero Part 1
4) Mawaru Penguindrum
3) AnoHana
2) Steins;gate
1) Puella Magi Madoka Magicka (DUHHH)

Basically if you like anime and you have not seen these 5 shows, what the fuck is wrong with you?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: January 07, 2012, 11:47:37 PM »
NEW SEASON IS UNDERWAAAYYYYAAYYYYY

So,

I've seen 6 of the new shows so far, they are:

Recorder to Randoseru
Kill Me Baby
Nisemonogatari
Mouretsu Pirates
Rinne no Lagrange
Senki Zesshou Symphogear

I've actually been pretty impressed with all of them so far. I'm gonna go ahead and give a recommendation for all of these shows except Lagrange. I need to give it a few more episodes to see if it's really worth checking out. The recommendation for Nisemonogatari is double if you watched Bakemonogatari and enjoyed it...if you haven't, get on it and watch Bakemonogatari and then watch Nisemonogatari when you're done.

Anyone else think my new avatar is kinda creepy?  :lol

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #710 on: January 08, 2012, 05:36:18 AM »
NEW SEASON IS UNDERWAAAYYYYAAYYYYY

So,

I've seen 6 of the new shows so far, they are:

Recorder to Randoseru
Kill Me Baby
Nisemonogatari
Mouretsu Pirates
Rinne no Lagrange
Senki Zesshou Symphogear

I've actually been pretty impressed with all of them so far. I'm gonna go ahead and give a recommendation for all of these shows except Lagrange. I need to give it a few more episodes to see if it's really worth checking out. The recommendation for Nisemonogatari is double if you watched Bakemonogatari and enjoyed it...if you haven't, get on it and watch Bakemonogatari and then watch Nisemonogatari when you're done.

Anyone else think my new avatar is kinda creepy?  :lol

What sorts of shows are these? Seinen, josei, etc.?

And yes. :P

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: January 08, 2012, 08:45:44 AM »
I think all of these fall into shonen or seinen, but I haven't really looked into them. Brief summaries:

Recorder to Randoseru: This show is about an 11 year old boy who looks and sounds like an adult and his 17 year old sister who looks and sounds like a child. Despite their appearances both siblings act their age. Most of the humour of the show so far has been pedophilia related.

Kill Me Baby: This is a comedy show about three girls. One is a normal girl, one is an assassin, and the last one is a ninja. It's very funny.

Nisemonogatari: Is the sequel to Bakemonogatari. The images I used for my avatar and sig came from the first episode of Nisemonogatari. Like I mentioned before, if you've seen Bakemonogatari you'll know what this show is like. If you haven't, you should watch Bakemonogatari first.

Mouretsu Pirates: Set in a Firefly-like future where outlying planets rebel against the central government, this anime follows the story of a girl who inherits a spaceship from her father whom she has never met, and has pirate adventures I guess (as of episode one we haven't been on the ship yet).

Rinne no Lagrange: High school girl becomes mecha pilot.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear: Singing robot magical girls.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #712 on: January 08, 2012, 10:56:38 AM »
I'll probably comment much more once I delve back into the world of anime but... Dude... If I were a Japanese native and happened to watch Bakemonogatari on TV, I would be so friggin' pissed at how fast those damned words appear at the beginning of the first episode. I mean truly!? Honestly and truly!? I know they're supposed to be super duper smart but how fucking fast can the Japanese read!?  :lol I had to pause and go back at least a handful of times. Either way, looks like an awesome show. Haven't had any kind of anime interaction in a long while. Been on a manga spree, that's for sure. No anime though. Honestly that section of Japanese entertainment has left a stale taste in my mouth. There are so many horrible anime adaptations of so many amazing manga. Just...fucking useless. It's nice to see teams that actually care about the material they're adapting. The shows that are originally created as motion pictures or series tend to be the best in my experience for reasons clear. They need to be appreciated and paid more but that's a hope that burned out long ago. Sadly it seems to be getting worse. I'll enjoy it while it lasts though.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: January 08, 2012, 11:13:14 AM »
Well, the thing with Bakemonogatari is a) it's shaft so they do crazy shit like that, and if you go into a shaft show you should be expecting it and b) it's based on a series of novels, and those random flashes of text are just lines of narration taken straight from the novel. I don't think they're really essential to your understanding of the show.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #714 on: January 08, 2012, 11:16:09 AM »
Ah, yes I forgot it was a series of light novels; my American self automatically assumes every friggin' piece of literature in Japan is Manga ( :P). What's a shaft!?!? ( :P x a million) No but srsly...never heard the term in the anime world.

P.S. Can't find a way to Google it without getting the Shaft movie and/or sitcom related to anime instead of...an anime term. Poop.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:31:27 AM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #715 on: January 08, 2012, 11:54:42 AM »
Shaft is an animation studio: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaft_(company)

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #716 on: January 08, 2012, 11:56:29 AM »
Ahh, gotcha. Thanks.

RIP DTP.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #717 on: January 12, 2012, 12:48:39 PM »
I've fallen in love with a harem series. Am I a bad person?

Not to mention it's the most fan-servicey franchise I have ever seen, film, book or TV.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: January 13, 2012, 08:51:19 AM »
I've fallen in love with a harem series. Am I a bad person?

Not to mention it's the most fan-servicey franchise I have ever seen, film, book or TV.

Ecchi harem shit

What show is it? :lol

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #719 on: January 13, 2012, 09:13:04 AM »
Rosario + Vampire. It's ridiculously funny, actually.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #720 on: January 22, 2012, 11:03:32 AM »
AllllRIGHT. So! I know DTF's anime fans can be counted on one hand and this thread doesn't get much action, so the idea of creating another anime-related thread would probably be pointless especially given what I'm about to say but- How about the manga fanatics? Recently I've all but given up on anime given that for numerous reasons, it can't hold my attention longer than an episode or two and if it does then it tends to be the ones that are standalone series and/or movies (Bebop, Champloo, etc.); but manga has been ruling my life for the past few weeks now so I'd love to discuss what people are reading.

It'd be perfectly fine to have this double as a manga thread considering other than a couple others I doubt anyone reads manga at all, let alone as much as numerous volumes a day (yeah I've got a life!). But I'd love to hear the contrary. Anyway, recently I've been consumed with these series, no order or anything but I'd love to do a favorites P.S. Gantz rules all  ;D

Corpse Party: Blood Covered (I'll also be reading CP: Another Child, though it just began)
Kamisama no Iutoori (this one is so kickass, recently discovered it)
Homonculus
Liar Game
Veritas
Deadman Wonderland
Ao No Exorcist
Baki
Berserk
Gantz
Highschool of the Dead
Soul Eater
(re-reading) Battle Royale

Anyone... anyone!?

RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: January 22, 2012, 11:16:33 AM »
I read Deadman Wonderland and Berserk. There's also a short series called Seven Billion Needles which I enjoy.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #722 on: January 22, 2012, 11:20:10 AM »
So the Rosario manga is about a hundred times better than the anime. Looking back I have no idea why I fell in love with that ecchi humor, the obvious aside. There's actually a story and I'm hooked.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #723 on: January 22, 2012, 11:29:57 AM »
I read Deadman Wonderland and Berserk. There's also a short series called Seven Billion Needles which I enjoy.

Nice! I really fell in love with the DM universe; there's a lot of really kick ass characters. Berserk has been on my back burner for a while but I'm getting back into it. I'll have to check out SBN.

So the Rosario manga is about a hundred times better than the anime. Looking back I have no idea why I fell in love with that ecchi humor, the obvious aside. There's actually a story and I'm hooked.

This is almost my exact reason why I love manga so much more than anime. The artists and writers seem to put so much more of their heart into it and work so much harder; nearly every anime I've watched that is based on a manga has been completely half-assed and it's so blatantly obvious that the (already underpaid) artists couldn't give a shit less whether their work lives up to what the manga set out to accomplish. It's nice when there's one in the handfuls of others but I just haven't been interested in one for a long, long time.

A good recent example is the series Bakuman (Death Note creators); I haven't gotten into it all that much but about five or six chapters in, I wondered how the anime was and I was reminded all too quickly why I hadn't watched any for so long. The art was horrendous compared to the slick, sharp style of the manga, the voice actors were the usual suspects and it felt about as bland as the Naruto or Bleach anime. There's just something huge missing from many anime I watch these days, something that can't be captured compared to manga.

RIP DTP.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #724 on: January 22, 2012, 11:30:40 AM »
^^

I haven't read much manga, but the ones I've read have been better (and have more depth) than the anime.  With the anime, it seems like they cut out a lot of plot and story to fit it in 13/26 episodes.  Elfen Lied is a big offender.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #725 on: January 22, 2012, 11:38:41 AM »
Ah, yes; I can't believe I forgot Elfen. I'm actually reading that series right now as well, but I'd already tried watching the anime a couple years ago and didn't get into it at all (back then I also wasn't into that brutal of storyline like I am now  :P). Lo and behold, I pick up the manga and tear through volume after volume.

P.S. To those with androids or iPod/Phones, there's a really awesome Manga reading app called "Manga Storm" and it is my go-to app for when I'm traveling and don't have my laptop nearby. It's free, but the free version limits you to 10 chapters downloaded and I think you can 'favorite' 5 of them. However a mere $3 bucks and you can download and favorite as many manga as your device can hold. The app takes online manga sites like MangaFox, MangaReader and MangaEden, compiles them into one app, then lets you either read them online from the app itself or download manga from said sites and organizes them nice and neat in a download folder for you to read without having to stream them. It is by far and away my most used app. Highly recommended. Only downfall is that of course if a series is licensed where you are, you won't be able to read it. Lucky for me most of the manga I read isn't licensed in the U.S. so woot for that.

RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: January 22, 2012, 11:53:19 AM »
Y'know maybe it's just me but I always thought that removing the singing girl who pees herself from the Elfen Lied anime was a big improvement.

If you feel that way about anime maybe you should try watching some of the ones I've suggested in this thread :p

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #727 on: January 22, 2012, 11:56:38 AM »
Y'know maybe it's just me but I always thought that removing the singing girl who pees herself from the Elfen Lied anime was a big improvement.

If you feel that way about anime maybe you should try watching some of the ones I've suggested in this thread :p

:lol Gotta agree on both accounts there. I've been so consumed with manga recently I haven't so much as tried searching; but with me catching up with most of the series I'm reading, I'll have to look into them for sure.

RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #728 on: January 23, 2012, 12:09:36 AM »
Everyone needs to see this show:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/12321/Thermae_Romae

It's about a Roman bath designer who gets ideas for baths by visiting modern-day Japan.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #729 on: January 23, 2012, 05:50:29 AM »
Well, I've finally reached the point where I've not only read all the official English releases of the Rosario manga, but the scanlations for chapters that aren't even in tankobon format yet. It's gonna kill me waiting for the next release. :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #730 on: January 23, 2012, 07:37:27 AM »
God damn fucking government. I'm going to blow some shit up.

Of COURSE all the file sharing sites (completely legal, of course) either get shut down or scared into shutting down whenever I go into an anime frenzy. I just got into Durarara!!! and right as I'm about to finish it I can't find a single site that's alive. Crazy shit, our government. Lordy... MAN UP YOU INTERNETS. Although I wouldn't take the fall either so... Hrrm. Back to manga. Shit, at this rate my manga will be taken away... and when that happens. Ohhhh boy. 'Merica is fucked cause I'm going to stick my penis in it's heart hole and just kill everything. Manga is my lifeblood. URGH. Funny thing is I would gladly, happily go out and buy these series but god-damn 'merica screws it all up the moment a Japanese series is licensed. Is allll fucked up. I suppose I could import them as I did in the past; order online. Such a hassle...

/bitchyinternetrant#2323235

Back to basics.

RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: January 23, 2012, 08:32:15 AM »
If you really want to finish Durarara just watch it on CR.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #732 on: January 24, 2012, 12:25:13 PM »
Started watching Darker Than Black a few weeks ago (only a few episodes in though). I like it so far, im just waiting to be attached to the characters and see some plot development.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #733 on: January 24, 2012, 01:23:21 PM »
 :lol Good luck, Volk. Your thought is the same as mine was when I started watching it. I finished the first season but didn't bother with the second. It was flashy, it was cool, the animation/voice acting/music (especially) were all outstanding; but without characters I give two shits about or a concrete storyline aside from any shallow beginnings, it's all for naught. It wasn't a bad series, I was just disappointed with the end result. Good show if you're not into any other series at the moment or a rainy day.

RIP DTP.

Offline Secor

« Reply #734 on: January 27, 2012, 04:33:32 PM »
YESSSSSSSSSSS

It looks like there's a new Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop) anime airing in the spring called "Sakamichi no Apollon". It takes place in the 60's and it's about jazz and stuff.
Oh, and Yoko Kanno is doing the music.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-26/apollon-reunites-cowboy-bebop-director-composer-kanno