Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 228363 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #1505 on: August 22, 2016, 12:37:02 PM »
I'm not looking forward to FFXV that much so, no I haven't.

Jojo's been awesome though.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1506 on: August 22, 2016, 01:08:00 PM »
Late as hell, but I finally finished the first season of My Hero Academia and found it overall enjoyable.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1507 on: August 22, 2016, 01:12:37 PM »
Near the end of the season I got all caught up on the manga and I can't wait for the rest of this to get adapted. Speaking of I probably have a few more issues to read now.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1508 on: August 22, 2016, 01:15:01 PM »
I'll definitely be on the look out for the second season, and now I just have to catch up on the manga. :lol

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1509 on: August 22, 2016, 01:34:15 PM »
Is anybody else watching the Brotherhood FFXV series? While probably not a great show in its own right, I do like it for the purpose it serves.
I'm really hyped for FFXV, but sadly haven't been as into brotherhood. Watched the first two episodes, haven't gotten around to the third one.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1510 on: August 26, 2016, 02:46:27 PM »
It looks as though the stakes have finally been set in JoJo's. Duwang is easily the most immersive JoJo's part yet, so I'm excited to see how David Productions will proceed from here.

My top three this season, in no particular order, are Amanchu!, JoJo's, and Konobi. I expected to love the first two, so Konobi is the only surprise. Aside from Souma, no other currently airing anime comes close to those three.

After two bountiful seasons, Fall is surprisingly barren. Kyoani is putting out a sequel to their best work to date, Shaft is adapting a manga by the author of Honey and Clover, and the director of both Non Non Biyori and Tanaka-kun is releasing something. As much as I anticipate those three, literally nothing else on the seasonal chart looks interesting. That is, unless Koe no Katachi gets a US theater run.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1511 on: August 27, 2016, 10:23:31 PM »
Just started Food Wars tonight. It's good. A bit more pervy than I like, but that does kind of keep it fun. My wife and I were watching it together and definitely rolled our eyes more than a few times, but kept going anyway.

But yeah, I'm super addicted to Re:Zero now and can't wait for the next episode, even while I can see the show does have its flaws. Other than those two, Orange and Sweetness and Lightning are very high on my list. Haven't tried JoJo or Amanchu, but I might try the former soon.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1512 on: August 28, 2016, 08:34:58 AM »
Just started Food Wars tonight. It's good. A bit more pervy than I like, but that does kind of keep it fun. My wife and I were watching it together and definitely rolled our eyes more than a few times, but kept going anyway.

The first few episodes are the most perverted. It becomes more tame later on. There's still the occasional sexual reaction, but nothing on the level of the first episode.

Re: Sweetness and Lightning. I liked what it did, but every episode was essentially the same thing. Has there been any notable character progression since episode five? I don't find it entertaining enough to watch for the sake of watching it, and had gotten everything I wanted out of it by that point. If S&L becomes more than more of the same, I may pick it back up.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1513 on: August 28, 2016, 12:17:41 PM »
What are your guys' opinion on Soul Eater?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1514 on: August 28, 2016, 04:10:58 PM »
Re: Sweetness and Lightning. I liked what it did, but every episode was essentially the same thing. Has there been any notable character progression since episode five? I don't find it entertaining enough to watch for the sake of watching it, and had gotten everything I wanted out of it by that point. If S&L becomes more than more of the same, I may pick it back up.
Slowly but surely, it's getting there. The episode format has shaken up a lot recently, with something cooking food being only half of the episode, or not really occurring at all. The emotional complexity of the situation is also getting a lot more apparent, but still not to the point where you should expect a new development every single episode.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1515 on: August 28, 2016, 04:13:53 PM »
Watching the original Dragon Ball in sequence because why not. It has more personality than DBZ imo.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1516 on: August 28, 2016, 06:02:38 PM »
Slowly but surely, it's getting there. The episode format has shaken up a lot recently, with something cooking food being only half of the episode, or not really occurring at all. The emotional complexity of the situation is also getting a lot more apparent, but still not to the point where you should expect a new development every single episode.

Good to know. I'll likely give it another shot once the season is over.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1517 on: August 28, 2016, 07:44:16 PM »
Watching the original Dragon Ball in sequence because why not. It has more personality than DBZ imo.
I also agree that DB is the better show, but check out filler-less DBZ Kai afterwards.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1518 on: August 28, 2016, 10:16:20 PM »
What are your guys' opinion on Soul Eater?

It's got some of the more interesting characters among the popular shounen stuff out there. There's tons of small creative decisions made to their world that I adore. I actually just finished rewatching the whole series on Netflix and while I wasn't head-over-heels for it like I was when I first watched it way back when, I still found it pretty enjoyable.

Well, except for, ya know, Courage Fist no Jutsu.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1519 on: August 30, 2016, 09:38:58 AM »
I'm finally getting back into Parasyte. I stopped after the first 4 episodes because it didn't really grab me, but I decided to resume viewing today, and am currently halfway through episode 9. It's getting better as it goes. I enjoy seeing the differences between this and the movies (which I saw first). It's been so long since I saw the previous episodes that I'd forgotten which scenes I'd seen in the anime already or just the movies. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1520 on: August 31, 2016, 01:50:40 PM »
Never seen Cowboy Bebop in my life.   But I saw the complete series on BluRay for $30 at WalMart, and the movie on BluRay for $10.   

Based on its reputation, I decided to pick it up.   

Which kindof sucks because my queue is getting a mile long and I'm not sure when I'm actually going to get to it. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1521 on: August 31, 2016, 04:52:56 PM »
Whatever else you have on your list, push it all to the back. I love the shit out of Bebop.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1522 on: September 02, 2016, 02:30:50 AM »
I just finished Parasyte. Very solid show after the first few episodes. I think it was getting stabbed in the chest and ditching the glasses that improved it. :lol After that, I flew through it.

Am I good to watch Assassination Classroom yet? I don't know if it's finished or not.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1523 on: September 02, 2016, 08:43:56 AM »
The second season of AssClass finished airing in June. I've heard that it finished adapting the manga, but don't hold me to that.  :biggrin:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1524 on: September 02, 2016, 09:24:03 AM »
Doesn't really matter, it's just easier to knock out a series in one go if possible. I won't hold you accountable. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1525 on: September 08, 2016, 10:43:22 AM »
I started Assassination Classroom today, watched the first 8 episodes. Really enjoying it so far. It's quite funny, especially a lot of the English text written on things, and some of the dialogue is so ridiculous and probably politically incorrect. I just don't like the blue haired thing. I think it was only the most recent episode I realized it's supposed to be a guy? I didn't even question it being a girl.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1526 on: September 08, 2016, 11:04:48 AM »
Jojo is so good right now.

Seriously, anyone who likes anime or can even tolerate it should be watching Jojo.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1527 on: September 18, 2016, 02:11:04 AM »
So years ago, through browsing and stumbling, I found this anime called My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU and I had a good impression on it.  I liked how the main character Hachiman perceived high-school life as the cliches as it was.  I think I could relate a good amount to the guy and took good notice of his mindset and apply it to real-life.

Anyway, I finally checked out the second season to "My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU" and it was really good.  Pretty much showing how much Hachiman has been wanting to be the martyr and the outcast in order to solve typical high school students' social problems, and how him wanting to always be the hated guy has put a huge strain on the relationships of the few people (whose in the same problem-solving club he's in) he managed to be friendly with.

It's a good series to watch.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1528 on: September 18, 2016, 06:54:00 PM »
I was looking forward to the shitstorm Re:Zero's final episode would trigger, but White Fox decided to cut the last few lines of dialogue.  :tdwn

Overall, I was not a fan. Every once in a while, it would execute something brilliant (eg. Emilia's split with Subaru, the snow shot at the end of ep 15, the entirety of 'From Zero'), but most of what bridged those moments is not to my liking, often unintentionally cringe-y, straight up stupid, or impossible to take seriously.

Though the final episodes of most shows haven't aired yet, I can confidently say that season isn't quite on the same level as Spring, but much better than both Winter and last Fall.

If Hibike! Euphonium S2 is anywhere near as good as the first, it will be my unrivaled AOTY.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1529 on: September 18, 2016, 07:11:32 PM »
I recently watched Princess Tutu, which i thoroughly enjoyed.

I picked up watching Chobits again (which I started a long time ago), and hopefully will finish it this time. I think I had made it to ep 17 (Spoiler)((or where it got all scifi), but I lost interest and stopped.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1530 on: September 18, 2016, 11:59:06 PM »
I finished off Assassination Classroom, and it was very consistent. I felt like the ending was a bit too over-detailed, like we didn't need the closure of seeing every single character's future, leave something up to imagination. But at least it didn't leave you wanting. :lol
Also, the fate of Korosensei didn't seem necessary given earlier information, I wish they'd stuck one way or another on that.
Overall, I found it hilarious. Probably my favourite anime series I've seen so far.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1531 on: September 19, 2016, 06:07:48 PM »
I was looking forward to the shitstorm Re:Zero's final episode would trigger, but White Fox decided to cut the last few lines of dialogue.  :tdwn

Overall, I was not a fan. Every once in a while, it would execute something brilliant (eg. Emilia's split with Subaru, the snow shot at the end of ep 15, the entirety of 'From Zero'), but most of what bridged those moments is not to my liking, often unintentionally cringe-y, straight up stupid, or impossible to take seriously.

Though the final episodes of most shows haven't aired yet, I can confidently say that season isn't quite on the same level as Spring, but much better than both Winter and last Fall.

If Hibike! Euphonium S2 is anywhere near as good as the first, it will be my unrivaled AOTY.

Yeah, ugh, don't know what to think about Re:Zero. The Subaru/Emilia thing is so underdeveloped that it's almost laughable any time you're supposed to get catharsis from it.

That last episode of Orange... I had tears in my eyes the entire time. Dammit.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1532 on: September 20, 2016, 08:39:35 AM »
I recently watched Princess Tutu, which i thoroughly enjoyed.

Yup, that's one of my favorite anime series ever. Actually, now that I think about it, Princess Tutu is probably the series that I've had the highest number of repeating viewings of. Either PT or Nichijou, I think. It's really easy to get hooked and binge-watch that show in its entirety.

If you haven't already seen Revolutionary Girl Utena, I'd highly recommend that series too. It's a bit longer than PT and feels a little repetitive at times, since it's one of those 90's anime shows, but it has a similar theme of deconstructing fairy tales and their tropes.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1533 on: September 20, 2016, 09:02:02 AM »
If you haven't already seen Revolutionary Girl Utena, I'd highly recommend that series too. It's a bit longer than PT and feels a little repetitive at times, since it's one of those 90's anime shows, but it has a similar theme of deconstructing fairy tales and their tropes.

I started Utena but around episode 17 I kind of stopped watching.  I think I'll pick that one back up.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1534 on: September 20, 2016, 09:13:03 AM »

I started Utena but around episode 17 I kind of stopped watching.  I think I'll pick that one back up.

Definitely do so. The second half of the series is incredible.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1535 on: September 20, 2016, 09:13:55 AM »
Utena is well worth it. If you like it, be sure to try Ikuhara's other work.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1536 on: September 20, 2016, 08:05:38 PM »
SEIZON

SENRYAKUUUUUUUUUUU

That's the only of his stuff I've seen but I loved it. Does Utena have a similar vibe?

Also looking at their list of works it seems that the quality of White Fox peaked real early with Katanagatari and Steins;gate.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1537 on: September 21, 2016, 03:48:58 AM »
SEIZON

SENRYAKUUUUUUUUUUU

That's the only of his stuff I've seen but I loved it. Does Utena have a similar vibe?

Also looking at their list of works it seems that the quality of White Fox peaked real early with Katanagatari and Steins;gate.

You're talking about Mawaru Penguindrum, right? If so, the answer is a resounding hell yes. Utena gets pretty damn surreal at times and has a lot of sexual themes present.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1538 on: September 27, 2016, 03:21:50 PM »
My top 3 of Summer 2016:
1. Amanchu!
2. Konobi
3. Mob Psycho 100

MP100 was the surprise of the season. I did not like last fall's One Punch Man, so the strong character writing in Mob caught me off guard. OPM's metal soundtrack was more to my liking, but I greatly prefer how Mob handled literally everything else.

My top 3 of 2016 is occupied entirely by Slice of Life. My favorite genre has received a really strong showing this year, so I couldn't be happier. I hope at least one of Fall's drama titles will find their way into that list.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1539 on: September 28, 2016, 06:40:24 AM »
When does fall begin? I'm dying this week... lol.