Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 232795 times)

Offline Outcrier

Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #1400 on: April 30, 2016, 04:29:16 AM »
Ok, fair enough. Sorry.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1401 on: April 30, 2016, 07:47:54 AM »
Ok, fair enough. Sorry.

You don't have to say sorry for that :P I think anyone who reads my posts can tell that I have issues. We are all better off if I don't go into detail.

Kyou no Go no Ni is shaping up to be pretty great. I like how they do comedy in this series. The entire scene about finding the missing bloomers was spot on. SLO MO PUDDING xD

Ok weirdness over
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 06:50:48 PM by SuperTaco »
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1402 on: May 01, 2016, 09:34:45 AM »
I finished with Death Note today. Very good overall.
The first 16 or so episodes were my favourite section. It lost a bit after that for me, because of the dynamic shift. Light got rid of the notebook and forgot for a while, so there wasn't that two way interplay between Light and L, and no Ryuk to lighten it up either. I felt the same section of the story was also a bit of a lull in the second Death Note movie, but it was much shorter in the movie, so I felt that worked better.

The movie omitted and changed most of the plot from Light getting out of isolation onwards, so that was all new to me. I don't know if it was for that reason I didn't enjoy a lot of what came after as much, or whether it just wasn't quite as strong. It got better once Light got the Death Note back, but the plot with the business men wasn't as interesting, and it got a bit unfocused imo once Kira became someone else. There was some great stuff once they went to trade the notebook in America, but the dynamic between Light and N felt like it was trying too hard to recapture the original Light/L dynamic, except without the factors it had with L being in the same location, and having the time to figure it all out, and knowing each other more personally. I liked N, but Mello was kind of worthless.
It also started to get confusing with all of the Death Notes with which one was where, and who could see which Shinigami etc. The last few episodes were great, and there was so much tension at the end of the second last episode, I almost couldn't watch, because I knew Light's plan wouldn't work. Light's downfall played out completely differently in the movies, which was better in some ways, and worse in others. I preferred that the movie ending included the original L instead, and without spoiling it, it felt much more fitting for his character. It also unfortunately introduced a couple of plotholes to the ending that the series didn't have (or maybe I just didn't notice them in all of my confusion about the Death Notes). I'm admittedly probably a bit biased by having seen the movies first, but both were an easy watch for me.

So I guess next up is Parasyte. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1403 on: May 01, 2016, 10:02:22 AM »
Parasyte was great.

Did they do the movie practical or CGI? I could imagine it looking really silly with CGI

...my name is Araragi.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1404 on: May 01, 2016, 10:12:17 AM »
Imagine what looking silly in CGI? Whatever it is, I'm sure it's CGI though. :lol

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1405 on: May 01, 2016, 10:27:21 AM »
Everything. The parasites. Like imagine how awesome that first scene with the woman and her husband would have looked if they had done practical effects.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1406 on: May 01, 2016, 10:32:05 AM »
I was actually really impressed with the CGI in the Parasyte movies. It looks very good. Some of the things the parasites do is so complex that I'm not sure how well they could have done it practically on a reasonable budget. It doesn't have the gory practical feel of something like Toyko Gore Police, but it doesn't look silly imo.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1407 on: May 02, 2016, 12:34:56 AM »
God I love the Parasyte anime so fucking much. I actually really dislike a lot of anime in recent years even when it comes to shows based off of my favorite manga, sometimes specifically because of that, but that show did fucking EVERYTHING right. It's spectacular. So power. So energy.

On that note, I was super, super excited to see an anime adaptation of Ajin and then I watched it. I...I just...The potential. It's like some one shit all over my already low expectations and then shoved that shit back up my ass and then I threw it up somehow. That's what it's like. Jesus fucking christ. "Hey guys, this manga is fucking awesome.

<.<

>.>

Let's FUCK IT ALL UP".

It's shit like this that has me so despondent about anime. I really don't like the vast majority of anime but I love manga so much it hurts. Then I look at Parasyte and think what a good manga could be translated into and I get hype all over again.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1408 on: May 02, 2016, 06:00:03 AM »
Hey guys I'm pissed about something, so lemme just exaggerate my displeasure by putting disgusting images in your mind. That makes me feel better.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1409 on: May 02, 2016, 08:22:45 AM »
God I love the Parasyte anime so fucking much. I actually really dislike a lot of anime in recent years even when it comes to shows based off of my favorite manga, sometimes specifically because of that, but that show did fucking EVERYTHING right. It's spectacular. So power. So energy.

This. I also had read the manga before watching the anime adaptation. It was so expertly adapted, they even "modernized" the characters (since that manga is nearly 30 years old).

Talking about manga, why 20th Century Boys never got an anime adaptation?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1410 on: May 02, 2016, 08:34:41 AM »
I watched the first episode of Parasyte today, and was somewhat mixed on it. It felt all over the place, glossing over certain things or putting them in a strange order that didn't work for me at all. I had to double check I hadn't missed an episode or something. The movie did a better job of presenting the basic premise imo, and I probably would have been very confused had I not seen that first.
On the positive side, the animation is very good, and it's got some good violence, so I look forward to seeing what happens from here. :tup

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1411 on: May 02, 2016, 09:39:41 AM »

Funny enough, I actually dropped Parasyte a few episodes into it as it aired. Nothing interested me; the characters were flat, the action boring, and I didn't care about anything that was happening.

On that note, I was super, super excited to see an anime adaptation of Ajin and then I watched it. I...I just...The potential. It's like some one shit all over my already low expectations and then shoved that shit back up my ass and then I threw it up somehow. That's what it's like. Jesus fucking christ. "Hey guys, this manga is fucking awesome. Let's FUCK IT ALL UP".

I haven't watched Ajin, but if you feel that way... Well, I really don't want to see your reaction to the upcoming Berserk adaptation. An arc after the Golden Age is finally animated, but in shitty CG. The show looks awful.

Which reminds me, I really need to pick that manga back up. I stopped during the eclipse because my device had issues loading the chapters correctly, and its been so long that I'll likely need to start from the beginning.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1412 on: May 02, 2016, 11:16:09 AM »

This. I also had read the manga before watching the anime adaptation. It was so expertly adapted, they even "modernized" the characters (since that manga is nearly 30 years old).

Talking about manga, why 20th Century Boys never got an anime adaptation?

Yessss. I really liked the look of the characters.

Funny enough, I actually dropped Parasyte a few episodes into it as it aired. Nothing interested me; the characters were flat, the action boring, and I didn't care about anything that was happening.

On that note, I was super, super excited to see an anime adaptation of Ajin and then I watched it. I...I just...The potential. It's like some one shit all over my already low expectations and then shoved that shit back up my ass and then I threw it up somehow. That's what it's like. Jesus fucking christ. "Hey guys, this manga is fucking awesome. Let's FUCK IT ALL UP".

I haven't watched Ajin, but if you feel that way... Well, I really don't want to see your reaction to the upcoming Berserk adaptation. An arc after the Golden Age is finally animated, but in shitty CG. The show looks awful.

Which reminds me, I really need to pick that manga back up. I stopped during the eclipse because my device had issues loading the chapters correctly, and its been so long that I'll likely need to start from the beginning.

See, I really loved the movies of Berserk, but in that case the CGI was done fairly well and wasn't entirely CGI. It was used how CGI should be used, I thought. It mixed really well with the actual artwork and hand drawn parts of the show. With Ajin, it just looks like a first-year college student slapped together these people. Granted, I do love the look of the IBMs, but after a certain point that's not why I loved the series so much, even though it's still super neat and a big aspect of it. It's also the fact that the manga has such interesting, unique artwork that would look just glorious in animation if they actually tried to mimic it and/or worked with the artist.

But that's interesting on Berserk...I didn't know they were making a post-Golden Age adaptation. I might just be salty over the CGI in general because I love my anime as hand drawn animation and if they mix in a little CGI, cool, but now it's almost the exact opposite, CGI with a little hand drawn animation. At least it feels that way to my eyes. But I do love the hell out of Ajin as a story and its characters so I might give it a try down the line; although I'm sure as hell not going to give it the time of day if this is it or if they have some half-assed filler ending as many of these adaptations do. I'm not sure on whether they're planning to follow the manga or continue it as the manga is still running. I suppose we'll see. Then again it does feel like the manga is nearing it's end soo..

You should definitely pick up the manga for Berserk again. It definitely has it's slow moments but I love those just as much as the gory violent parts. It's picking up on action again and we're finally making headway with the story. It's on break right now (SURPRISE) but it's set to come back (supposedly) soon enough. I mean it said Summer so I'm assuming so. But any Berserk fan knows that that's about as good as a shot in the dark. I personally think it's worth it.

RIP DTP.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1413 on: May 02, 2016, 01:31:43 PM »
The Berserk continuation starts airing this Summer. I'm not going to watch it.

I put the manga on hold because the iPod app I was using would load the chapter, skip to the next one about 7 pages in, and then fail to load the rest of the previous chapter. The screen was also tiny, so it was a pain to read. I read my manga on an Android tablet now, and don't have either issue anymore. I just haven't found the motivation to start again.

My anime Berserk experience is limited solely to the 90s tv show, but I've seen some clips of the movies. I have no idea what you are talking about; the CG there looks terrible. Fate/Zero is an example of good CG. Almost everything except the characters is CG, and aside from the stuff meant to look otherwordly, like Berserker and Caster's monsters, I can't even tell the difference. I don't know what went right there, but even Ufotable couldn't replicate it in UBW.

Taco, I'm 3/4 of the way through GochiUsa's first season. I'll likely finish either tonight or tomorrow.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1414 on: May 02, 2016, 02:43:53 PM »

Taco, I'm 3/4 of the way through GochiUsa's first season. I'll likely finish either tonight or tomorrow.

Hopefully you're enjoying it :)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1415 on: May 02, 2016, 02:57:25 PM »
To each their own.

RIP DTP.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1416 on: May 02, 2016, 03:28:23 PM »
I admit the only Slice of Life anime i liked was Clannad and After Story. That genre isn't my cup of tea at all.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1417 on: May 02, 2016, 04:17:10 PM »
I admit the only Slice of Life anime i liked was Clannad and After Story. That genre isn't my cup of tea at all.

I'd consider that more of a drama than a slice of life, but I see what you mean. Everyone has their own reasons for watching.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1418 on: May 02, 2016, 04:25:25 PM »
GTO is cool too and SoL is one of the genres for it at MAL but i'm not sure it qualifies as SoL anime.

Disliked Ano Mita Hana.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1419 on: May 02, 2016, 04:55:52 PM »

I haven't seen After Story yet, but somewhat enjoyed the first season. IMO it's nowhere close to the peak of SoL.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1420 on: May 02, 2016, 05:35:07 PM »
At MAL, the best rated SoL are After Story, the Mushishis, GTO, Natsume, Aria, Ano Mita Hana. Really, the first Clannad is a bit far from the top.

Now, what is the peak of SoL for you?

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1421 on: May 02, 2016, 05:42:13 PM »
WTF half of those aren't even SoL.

Good SoL: Nichijou, Watamote, Lucky Star, K-on, and the unassailable all time king of the genre: Azumanga Daioh

Is it confirmed that the upcoming Berserk anime is in that awful style the recent movies were in? Very disappointing. The art of the manga is so good it deserves proper adaptation.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1422 on: May 02, 2016, 06:03:24 PM »

How so?

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1423 on: May 02, 2016, 06:13:33 PM »
At MAL, the best rated SoL are After Story, the Mushishis, GTO, Natsume, Aria, Ano Mita Hana. Really, the first Clannad is a bit far from the top.

Now, what is the peak of SoL for you?

Of those, the only ones I consider SoL are Clannad and Aria. Maybe Natsume as well, but I don't know much about it.

My favorites are So Ra No Wo To, Hyouka, and Non Non Biyori. The three elements I look for in SoL titles are characterization, character dynamics, and atmosphere, and all three titles excel in those areas. If not for a weak string of episodes halfway through, Hyouka would be my favorite. Aria will likely take the top spot once I finally continue watching it this summer.

I second most of Genowyn's picks. Nichijou is hilarious, K-on served as my introduction to SoL, and I love what I've read of Azumanga Daoih.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1424 on: May 02, 2016, 06:14:34 PM »

Good SoL: Nichijou, Watamote, Lucky Star, K-on, and the unassailable all time king of the genre: Azumanga Daioh

My choice for king of the genre: YuruYuri  :heart I did start Azumanga recently, but I really doubt it'll overtake YY at the top of my list xD Admittedly I'm biased towards SoL that also has Shoujo Ai/Yuri in it.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1425 on: May 02, 2016, 06:19:42 PM »
I'm not a fan of lighthearted or comedy animes. If these are part of an anime i'm watching, it's ok but, if all of the anime consists only of it, then it's not for me.

Does Slice of Life has a definition or everyone has their own thinking about what consists a SoL anime?

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1426 on: May 02, 2016, 06:51:05 PM »
Does Slice of Life has a definition or everyone has their own thinking about what consists a SoL anime?

It might, but I consider SoL to be a work that takes an extreme character driven approach, with little to no overall plot. It's a bit more nuanced, though. I find it hard to explain why Hanasaku Iroha is a Slice of Life while Shirobako is not, even though they are both workplace drama/comedies that sport character progression.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1427 on: May 02, 2016, 07:02:31 PM »
It might, but I consider SoL to be a work that takes an extreme character driven approach, with little to no overall plot.

That's the main reason i don't like it. Little to no plot and episodic structure without a main plot is the two things that i loathe the most.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1428 on: May 02, 2016, 07:13:22 PM »
I mean, there are great animes that I wouldn't call Slice of Life which don't have overarcing plots... like Mushishi. I know that was on your list earlier, but I would describe that as a supernatural mystery show, not Slice of Life at all.

My taste for SoL has generally faded over the years. On some level I think Toaru Kagaku no Railgun broke it for me. Don't shoehorn your SoL into my sci fi magic action show! Misaka Mikoto is awesome! You didn't think you could make a show just based on her being badass, you needed to do shit like have an episode where she cleans a pool?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1429 on: May 02, 2016, 07:18:40 PM »
like Mushishi. I know that was on your list earlier, but I would describe that as a supernatural mystery show, not Slice of Life at all.

Blame MAL for that (i never watched Mushishi) :biggrin:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:32:20 PM by Outcrier »

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1430 on: May 02, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
It might, but I consider SoL to be a work that takes an extreme character driven approach, with little to no overall plot.

That's the main reason i don't like it. Little to no plot and episodic structure without a main plot is the two things that i loathe the most.

I'm the exact opposite. No matter how interesting the plot may be, if a title doesn't have well rounded characters, I get bored easily. Shinsekai Yori is literally the only exception.

Hopefully you're enjoying it :)

And now I'm done. I mentioned a few posts back that I look for three things in Slice of Life titles; characterization, character dynamics, and atmosphere. GochiUsa had all three, but they didn't complement each other as well as I would have liked. It's hard to explain, but something felt...off. I definitely enjoyed it, though. I've heard that the second season is an all around improvement, so I look forward to watching that once I watch Watamote for Genowyn.

I have no idea how I'll react to Watamote. Welcome to the NHK is also described as cringe comedy, but I never cringed when watching it.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1431 on: May 02, 2016, 07:45:35 PM »
Don't get me wrong, i care about the characters too. Absence of plot is what i don't like.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1432 on: May 02, 2016, 07:52:14 PM »

I have no idea how I'll react to Watamote. Welcome to the NHK is also described as cringe comedy, but I never cringed when watching it.

I never finished Welcome to the NHK, but what I saw never had anything on the level of Watamote, cringe-wise.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1433 on: May 03, 2016, 12:57:23 PM »
Don't get me wrong, i care about the characters too. Absence of plot is what i don't like.

But would you be able to watch a show that has a great plot, but nonexistent characters? I wouldn't, but can easily enjoy the reverse.

I have a feeling that you're going to hate Utena.   :(

I never finished Welcome to the NHK, but what I saw never had anything on the level of Watamote, cringe-wise.

I'm two episodes in, and the cringe count is at 0.

My first impressions are overall positive. I was surprised by how artsy it is. The director worked on a few SHAFT titles before Watamote, and it shows. Tomoko is the other element to stand out. She is one of the most relatable characters I've come across in anime. I get everything about her - her mindset, fantasies, anxieties, mannerisms, and so on. She is an heavily exaggerated version of myself when I was her age, and I can't help but love her.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1434 on: May 03, 2016, 01:40:45 PM »
But would you be able to watch a show that has a great plot, but nonexistent characters?

I have no idea. Any examples of that?