Poll

Please pick your FAVORITE BAND

Pink Floyd
51 (53.1%)
Porcupine Tree
45 (46.9%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Voting closed: March 27, 2010, 03:51:52 PM

Author Topic: A Champion We'll Coronate After Heat #8: Who is DTF's favorite non-DT band?  (Read 35973 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
:lol

I actually really like Bonnie the Cat.
Yeah that song is awesome. What the hell Reaper
Yeah that song is awesome. What the hell Reaper

I just gave it another listen, yup don't like it, the only redeeming factor is Gavin Harrison's drum work. I'm generally a fan of most PT but songs that are a miss for me are a huge miss.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
Can't believe Porcupine Tree made it to the end... so many of those other bands were so much better than them. 

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Apparently not.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Good call.  Those should probably all be deleted.  But still, not that this thread is bad or anything, but we never archive P/S threads.

I'm not really sure why there's some apparent exclusion against P/S archiving eligibility. I think a thread's own merits should dictate it's archivability not pretense. Also a lot of folks had a really good time following this thing and it'd just be nice to see all that love recognized by having it up there with other very-well received threads.

And I mean, not that there's anything wrong with this one, but it's just a bunch of random bands you picked to have people vote on (and you left off a bunch of good ones, too, by the way).  So why is it special enough to archive?

Knowledge is power:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=10640.0

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=10640.0

actually bosk, your wrong. We picked the band, and this is easily the most well put together poll I've ever seen on DTF. The fact that a lot of people paid no attention to it until later rounds, does not change the fact that he gave us the choice to submit five bands to be voted upon. They weren't random at all.

Thanks a bunch. It's feels awesome to see others showing support so I won't seem like some raving lunatic bent on getting his way.

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Pyroph

Sorry but I don't see how this was that hard to put together or worth archiving.

edit: That sounded mean, I don't mean that I don't appreciate it, I really do, it's a good survivor but for archiving I don't think so.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 07:28:52 AM by Pyroph »

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Wait, I saw talk about deleting my hkklo dtfppy ne thread. I invented a new word, don't delete my biggest contribution to the forum :p.

• DT.net Member
Wait, I saw talk about deleting my hkklo dtfppy ne thread. I invented a new word, don't delete my biggest contribution to the forum :p.

Sorry dude. Never meant to get an innocent bystander harmed.

Sorry but I don't see how this was that hard to put together or worth archiving.

edit: That sounded mean, I don't mean that I don't appreciate it, I really do, it's a good survivor but for archiving I don't think so.

I've actually spent between 15 and 20 hours total time between reading others' posts, strategizing format ideas, tabulating individual heat results, and gone to excruciating lengths including quadruple- and even quintuple-checking every heat's results-even the first two which had rosters of 106 and 76 bands respectively. My usual method was to look for the highest numbers first for bands like PT, Opeth, Rush, etc. and then work my way down so I could start with a ranked list and then I'd check the alphabetized results in the poll thread against my newly-typed Office document and then check the ranked list in the Office document against the alphabetized list in the poll thread. I lost my place a couple times during one heat's tabulation and may have checked a total of seven times.

Despite all the format-bashing I've witnessed throughout this series I haven't seen one person gripe about an error in tabulation which should bode well for my efforts.

I just don't get all the objections to archiving this thing as it was ridiculously popular if you take into account that the only other threads to ever get nearly 100 different people checking them out the first day they're posted are probably ones related to major DT news such as new album releases.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

• DT.net Member
And now DTF I introduce to you...

THE BEST THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
:dammitamanda:

Man this forum's tastes have gone downhill :P

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

If anything this shows that the forums taste has gone up. Pink Floyd is legend.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
But in no way better than Rush

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
W00t!

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

I dunno, PF never released 9 bad albums in a row, Rush has.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni

9 bad albums in a row? Which ones?

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
I didn't vote for them but am still happy with the result.

Btw bf, I appreciate the effort you put into this and don't see why the hell so many people are against archiving, as if it would be wrong or something ???

I'll start a poll on whether or not this should be archived, and then that can be archived too :neverusethis:
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you

Are you sure you're thinking of Rush? Like...THE Rush?
Rush has released only 3 weak albums. None of them were consecutive.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline contest_sanity

It's interesting how vocal the Rush fans are (and I am a huge one myself, so not bashing Rush fans).  If the result had been opposite, with PF losing to Rush, I don't think we'd have seen the long line of defiant Floydian defenders we've seen from the Rush camp.  Not that I'm surprised, really, since Rush fans are often extremely fanatical, but it's still a curious phenomenon.

• DT.net Member
I didn't vote for them but am still happy with the result.

Btw bf, I appreciate the effort you put into this and don't see why the hell so many people are against archiving, as if it would be wrong or something ???

I'll start a poll on whether or not this should be archived, and then that can be archived too :neverusethis:

Thanks pal!  :)

Ya know, I'd actually forgotten my initials were "bf"...Thanks for reminding me :blush

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
 :D
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
I would never have guessed the outcome of this series of polls.  Congrats PF!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
It's interesting how vocal the Rush fans are (and I am a huge one myself, so not bashing Rush fans).  If the result had been opposite, with PF losing to Rush, I don't think we'd have seen the long line of defiant Floydian defenders we've seen from the Rush camp.  Not that I'm surprised, really, since Rush fans are often extremely fanatical, but it's still a curious phenomenon.

Yeah, those Rush fans need to stop giving the rest of us a bad name, with all of their sobbing and whatnot. :P :biggrin:

Cool to see Floyd win.  Once my top 3 favorite bands all got to the final four, I would have been happy with seeing any of them win. :)

Offline contest_sanity

Yeah, those Rush fans need to stop giving the rest of us a bad name, with all of their sobbing and whatnot. :P :biggrin:

Cool to see Floyd win.  Once my top 3 favorite bands all got to the final four, I would have been happy with seeing any of them win. :)
Rush fan 1: "Wait a minute... you were ok with a band other than Rush winning???"

Rush fan 2: "you mean you listen to other bands???"

Rush fan 3: "KevShmev -- your Rush fandom has been revoked."

Rush fan 4: "ATTENTION ALL PLANETS OF THE SOLAR FEDERATION..."

Rush fans 1-3: "nevermind him; he's a little fanatical even for us"

• DT.net Member

Rush fan 1: "Wait a minute... you were ok with a band other than Rush winning???"

This post was as satisfying as eating Pizza Hut's pan crust pizza when you're absolutely starving.

Offline contest_sanity

This post was as satisfying as eating Pizza Hut's pan crust pizza when you're absolutely starving.
DTF: your number one forum destination for food similes :tup

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
 :rollin

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
As I posted in the What are you listening to right now Thread, today is Pink Floyd day.

I've started with A Momentary Lapse of reason, followed by The Division Bell.
Then I started from the top with The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, A Saucerful of Secrets, Soundtrack from the Film More and now moving to Ummagumma.

:heart Floyd
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
YAY! w00t for Pink Floyd winning.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
Happy that Pink Floyd. Was really not expecting that at the start.

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

• DT.net Member
Dark Side of the Moon band emerges as the Dark Horse.

Offline LTE

Glad to see Floyd leading.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member

Its over.
They won.

• DT.net Member

Its over.
They won.

"WE LANDED ON THE MOON!!"

/Jim Carrey

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
:dammitamanda:

Man this forum's tastes have gone downhill :P

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Happy that Pink Floyd.
They did? The whole thing?

Offline contest_sanity

Might I also mention