Poll

Please pick your FAVORITE BAND

Pink Floyd
51 (53.1%)
Porcupine Tree
45 (46.9%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Voting closed: March 27, 2010, 03:51:52 PM

Author Topic: A Champion We'll Coronate After Heat #8: Who is DTF's favorite non-DT band?  (Read 35955 times)

Offline LordCaptainMcKlockenstein

• M For Mancy.
I'm sorry that us 'old fogey's' actually like quality music.

You should try it sometime. ;)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
PT is great, but come on, it's the Floyd.

Of any of the bands that have been listed, PT is my favorite (that is the poll question, right??). Floyd is amazing as well, but they have not had quite the impact PT has had on me. So I'm not going to vote for them just because they are more "classic" or whatever. I think there is a lot of that on these forums. Older bands are automatically given a higher status and people act like you're crazy to like the newer band more (not saying you're doing this in particular, just mean the general attitude I've seen a lot). It was a tough choice, but when it comes down to which band I listen to more, PT wins by a mile.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Floyd is great, but come on, it's the Tree.

:biggrin:

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hard, two of my favorite bands.

Think I'll go with Floyd.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Pink Floyd, although I can enjoy some PT from time to time.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline contest_sanity

I'll go with Floyd over PT -- but I wish Rush could have at least been in the final.  Maybe next year.  And yes: archive, archive, archive  :tup

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
PT.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
30 vs 30  :omg: Epic poll
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Mladen

Pink Floyd

I've never listened to Porcupine tree, but if they win, I'll sure have to give them a listen.  :)

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
You should give them a listen anyway.

Porcupine Tree. I've never liked Floyd and I've tried on numerous occasions to change this, but they just don't click with me.
PT on the other hand, I've only been listening to for a few months but they're already a top 5 band!

And to the people saying 'should have been Rush' or 'should have been Opeth' or whatever; this isn't YOUR favourite band. This is DTFs favourite band collectively.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
Looks like I just made it a tie again!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
I also support the archiving of the final round (and the wrap up thread). We should do this every year, and then compare DTF's tastes from year to year.

Thanks man! You're welcome to crash on my davenport if you're ever too drunk too drive.

@Black_Floyd I loved the idea! I think it was a great idea, and I love how you set it up, and I think you did everything you could. Just don't like how the voting turned out.

Much appreciation to you good sir! I hear ya on the results thing but at least the "black" in "black_floyd"(Opeth's Blackwater Park is responsible for the first half of my name) made it to the final four and the "floyd"(obviously the other half of my name) is in the finals. Pretty good turnout for my username since they'll both be medalists :coolio

I'll go with Floyd over PT -- but I wish Rush could have at least been in the final.  Maybe next year.  And yes: archive, archive, archive  :tup

Glad you could show your support for the archiving as well. When I make my will should I pencil you in for Nirvana's Incesticide tablature book or the German portion of my beer bottle collection?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
I believe the standard term is 'crown', not 'coronate'.  ;)

Anyway, Porcupine Tree, just.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?

Anyway, Porcupine Tree, just.

Glad to oblige as soon as you can find me a number that rhymes with "crown."  ;)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
I like the pictures in OP. PF looking moderately happy, and PT looking like a member of their family died 5 mins ago.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Pink Floyd.  While I love PT, Floyd just resonates more deeply with me.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
33 vs 33....
yikes! gonna be a close one.

Offline contest_sanity

And to the people saying 'should have been Rush' or 'should have been Opeth' or whatever; this isn't YOUR favourite band. This is DTFs favourite band collectively.
I chose my wording carefully for this exact reason: "I wish Rush had at least made it to the final," so I don't think that's inappropriate.  I understand the concept of the poll.

Are they not synonyms?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I'm not really grasping why this thread should be archived.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline contest_sanity

Perhaps coronated, then?

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
am I the only one that would've never guessed this outcome?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Porcupine Tree? Yes. Pink Floyd? Not this high. I though it would stand between PT or Rush.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline rogerdil

Floyd.  Only for the sake of sniping Porcupine Tree.

+1.  They're both overrated, but PF much less so, and they're much more influential.  Yeah, not exactly the point of the poll, but had to get it off my chest.  :police:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni

Though I respect and will remember the amount of work black_floyd put into this, the way the membership has voted makes this series of polls seem more like A Nightmare to Remember to me.  Archiving it just because black_floyd put so much work into it would be a little bit like commemorating the death of some poor sod who died fighting in the Communist Revolution by holding a memorial of the children who died of malnutrition during Mao's "Great Leap Forward" years later.

+1.  They're both overrated, but PF much less so, and they're much more influential.  Yeah, not exactly the point of the poll, but had to get it off my chest.

Yeah. Voting PT over PF is kinda like voting Breaking Benjamin over Tool.  Both are good, but one is slightly undifferentiated, and wouldn't be there if not for the other.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 09:59:53 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
and wouldn't be there if not for the other.
Why does that even matter?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni

In the end, it doesn't really matter.

Offline contest_sanity

Nothing else matters.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Exactly.  Is the first man to ever play a guitar better than everyone else who has been played since, since they wouldn't have been there without him?  Of course not.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni

Then why did you say it in the first place?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
In the end, though, it's all about what people like.  And I haven't heard one thing from Pocrupine Tree which I like that wasn't done better previously by Pink Floyd.  Sure, Porcupine Tree have done things that don't sound like Floyd, but those are the things I generally don't like.  Bonnie the Cat comes to mind.

Saying I like PT better than PF would be like saying I like Rush better than Zeppelin-- but only because I love Rush's first album and don't care for the rest of the stuff.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Voting PT over PF is kinda like voting Breaking Benjamin over Tool.  Both are good, but one is slightly undifferentiated, and wouldn't be there if not for the other.
I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with this.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
That's OK.

Offline contest_sanity

Exactly.  Is the first man to ever play a guitar better than everyone else who has been played since, since they wouldn't have been there without him?  Of course not.
My parents are better than me, since I obviously wouldn't be here without them.

Offline robwebster

Of any of the bands that have been listed, PT is my favorite (that is the poll question, right??). Floyd is amazing as well, but they have not had quite the impact PT has had on me. So I'm not going to vote for them just because they are more "classic" or whatever. I think there is a lot of that on these forums. Older bands are automatically given a higher status and people act like you're crazy to like the newer band more (not saying you're doing this in particular, just mean the general attitude I've seen a lot). It was a tough choice, but when it comes down to which band I listen to more, PT wins by a mile.
Completely agree!

Pink Floyd have had so so much impact on the music world and I really respect them as true pioneers. Veterans of rock, a status that Porcupine Tree will probably never even come close to achieving.

But I prefer Porcupine Tree's music. I just... like it more! Not even a difficult decision. Really good, it is.