General > General Discussion

Motorcycle Thread

(1/240) > >>

2Timer:
I just got my learner's permit, and I'm going to start off with my girlfriend's Honda Shadow since now is not the time for me to buy a motorcycle.
How many riders do we have here, and what do you have?

ReaperKK:
I've been riding for 5 years (since I was 18). A Honda Shadow is a great starter bike and since your girlfriend rides have her show you the basics. Go to a parking lot and practice doing slow maneuvers, shifting, parking and the works.

Take the MSF class, the class teaches in valuable techniques in riding a motorcycle and in some states it's required to get a license if you're under 18 years old, not to mention it'll lower your insurance rates.

My first bike was a Yamaha 600RR, basically a detuned R6. Had a great time learning on this bike as sports bikes were always my interest. My neighbor ended up totaling it a few days before I moved to college. I kept the insurance money for school instead of buying a new bike

I then bought a Honda CBR600 F2 for $900, the seller didn't know what he was selling and he thought the motor was shot when really it was just flooded. I pulled and cleaned the carbs as well as did a full service on the bike, rode it for a year before I sold it for $1800.

As of now I'm looking at an 08 GSXR 600 or an 08 R6, something to ride for this upcoming summer and something to take down to Miami.

Be safe man, it's crazy as hell out there on a motorcycle and thank god I never had to lay any of my bikes down but I've seen take a spill and it's scary as hell.

Also, one more thing, WEAR YOUR GEAR!!!!!!, spend the money and get breathable gear that is comfortable, if it's not comfortable you won't wear it. Don't be a squid and wear your gear (not just your helmet)

2Timer:
Yeah, my safety course starts in 3 weeks. If you pass it you get your license right on the spot, and since the class if free, it's stupid not to take it.

ReaperKK:
Wow, that sounds sweet, when I did MSF, it was a 3 day class that I had to pay $170 for.

It was well worth it.

What type of motorcycle are you looking to work your way up to?

2Timer:
I don't know yet. Right now the Shadow looks really cool to me. My ex-bass player has one too, and something about them makes me want to ride it. It's just an appealing bike to me. I don't know if I'll ever step up to a Harley, but if so I like Dyna WideGlides and Softails are pretty cool looking too. That's about the extent of what I know I like. I know I'm stepping into a whole new world, though, so there will be lots of things I'll see that I'll love and don't like.
What I do know is that I don't need anything powerful. I just want something nice to look at and dependable that I can just hop on, go and enjoy. A 750 is just fine with me. A friend at work said I should look at the Buell Blast to start out (500cc), but I saw a few pics and I don't like them at all. I love the price, I'm okay with the cc's, but I think they're ugly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version