Author Topic: 2010-07-20 - Jiffy Lube Live - Washington, D.C.  (Read 14526 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2010-07-20 - Jiffy Lube Live - Washington, D.C.
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2010, 12:34:18 PM »
Is that a real Destiny Of Chaos sighting?? I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen you around much. ..maybe it's me...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: My First Dream Theater (and Maiden) Concert
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2010, 12:36:13 PM »
I was getting pissed that DT was wasting time on their criminally short set list to appease the Maiden fans by teasing them. Thank God they didn't play a cover because A. That would have meant one less DT song for us die hards to heard and 2. It would have upstaged Maiden in every way (except for James not upstaging Bruce).

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2010, 12:36:48 PM »
Is that a real Destiny Of Chaos sighting?? I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen you around much. ..maybe it's me...

LOL this is just an illusion.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2010, 01:05:17 PM »
It doesn't excuse the fact that this:
Iron Maiden was boring and redundant.

I went with a Maiden/DT fan who said that Maiden's stage shows were so amazing. Ugh no..... space junk plus banner slides plus a goon walking around for one song does not make a better stage show than a virtuoso at every instrument and a VIDEO SHOW. But I thought Bruce was electric he's a great front man. The rest of the band was blash.
is utterly incorrect.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2010, 03:15:43 PM »
It doesn't excuse the fact that this:
Iron Maiden was boring and redundant.

I went with a Maiden/DT fan who said that Maiden's stage shows were so amazing. Ugh no..... space junk plus banner slides plus a goon walking around for one song does not make a better stage show than a virtuoso at every instrument and a VIDEO SHOW. But I thought Bruce was electric he's a great front man. The rest of the band was blash.
is utterly incorrect.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2010, 04:40:48 PM »
So you geniuses wouldn't agree that Bruce is an amazing front man, because that was part of what you guys quoted instead of bothering with something that could have been considered an intelligent rebuttal.  

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2010, 05:37:36 PM »
No, I agree with you on that.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2010, 06:03:18 PM »
Apparently not.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2010, 06:04:02 PM »
'Twas a mistake.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2010, 06:06:41 PM »
DOC, for my money, Iron Maiden is the best live band I've ever seen. You could also throw in Dream Theater. I suppose it's a matter of taste.

Had you seen Iron Maiden before?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2010, 06:10:43 PM »
I by no means have seen many concerts (~15 in the past two years), but both times seeing Maiden was pure enjoyment, amazement, and bliss, for the whole show. I saw them on the Somewhere Back In Time tour, and it was my first major concert, so it thoroughly blew my mind (what a way to start off concert-going!). Now, two years and 10+ major concerts later (including Metallica, Progressive Nation 2009, Alice in Chains, AC/DC, and more), they were even better than last time. From crowd participation, to stage show, to musicianship and live tightness, they excel on every level imaginable.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2010, 06:13:11 PM »
DOC, for my money, Iron Maiden is the best live band I've ever seen. You could also throw in Dream Theater. I suppose it's a matter of taste.

Had you seen Iron Maiden before?

No I had never seen Maiden prior to last night. I've never been able to get into their music. To "bland" for me I guess you could say. But their stage show was not all it was cracked up to be. But I could understand why Maiden Nation would love their shows so much. But when the music can't hold a candle to DT's, it won't keep my interest.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2010, 06:18:20 PM »
DOC, fair enough. Perhaps the expectation was too grand. Besides, NO ONE'S music holds a candle to Dream Theater.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2010, 06:18:44 PM »
NO ONE

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2010, 09:00:07 PM »
Destiny,  I agree about IMs stage show for this tour.  I was expecting pyros and whatnot because the alst tour was filled with them, they really had a great show last tour.  This year, was kind of like the AMOLAD tour where there were no pyros, just cool lighting.  It didnt make the show worse for me as a die hard IM fan, but I can see what youre saying in terms of stage show at least.  They did at least change the back drop just about every song and I really dug the back for el durado and when it was just the stars.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2010, 09:13:42 PM »
I was slightly disappointed with the lack of pyrotechnics as well, but not nearly as many songs warranted them this time around. The only noticeable lack of them was in "The Number Of The Beast", where they were extremely prevalent in last tour (and I was looking forward to them this tour). Otherwise, the lights did a great job of conveying the feel of the songs without extra effects (re: "Fear Of The Dark").

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2010, 10:21:46 PM »
I was slightly disappointed with the lack of pyrotechnics as well, but not nearly as many songs warranted them this time around. The only noticeable lack of them was in "The Number Of The Beast", where they were extremely prevalent in last tour (and I was looking forward to them this tour). Otherwise, the lights did a great job of conveying the feel of the songs without extra effects (re: "Fear Of The Dark").

I agree... I really thought the flames would come out after the intro... but nope only that little devil like figure in the top corner of the stage and some smoke.  I agree the songs didnt really warrant the pyros since all the newer songs never had pyros to go along with them (RIR, DOTR, and then during the AMOLAD tour) there are no pyros. 

Offline Slain

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2010, 10:35:26 PM »
I forgot to mention in my little write up that it started to rain right when DT got on stage. It was so epic. I was in section 303 near the back of the pavilion and I was getting a little wet myself. :lol

My post: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=11656.msg519515#msg519515

Also maybe the sound quality of DT had something to do with where my seats were, I'm not really sure. But to me they didn't sound very good.

I thought they sounded pretty good from the standing room pit.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline Slain

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2010, 10:37:47 PM »
I thought Maiden was great, Bruce Dickinson alone made their performance nothing short of amazing. He was spot on the whole night, and completely nailed every song (while running around like a maniac). It was a lot of fun.
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2010, 03:39:21 AM »
Destiny,  I agree about IMs stage show for this tour.  I was expecting pyros and whatnot because the alst tour was filled with them, they really had a great show last tour.  This year, was kind of like the AMOLAD tour where there were no pyros, just cool lighting.  It didnt make the show worse for me as a die hard IM fan, but I can see what youre saying in terms of stage show at least.  They did at least change the back drop just about every song and I really dug the back for el durado and when it was just the stars.

The Album Art For Brave New World has always been one of my favorites for any band, so I dug that banner the most.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2010, 09:18:41 PM »
Ive got a flag of the BNW album cover so its one of my favorites as well.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2010, 08:07:15 AM »
When a band is as good as Maiden is, they don't need any pyro or videos or anything else for that matter. They could have played on a minimal stage with nothing on it and the show would have been just as strong.

And for me, I don't really think pre-packaged videos do anything to enhance the concert experience. I think back to some of the videos played during the DT's RCMH concert and found them more to be a distraction from the music (particularly the cartoon) rather than an enhancement to it. A band like DT is another one that doesn't need to rely on pyro/videos/whatever to make the show. The talent in the band should be enough to engage and hold the interest of the attendees...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2010, 08:52:01 AM »
When a band is as good as Maiden is, they don't need any pyro or videos or anything else for that matter. They could have played on a minimal stage with nothing on it and the show would have been just as strong.

And for me, I don't really think pre-packaged videos do anything to enhance the concert experience. I think back to some of the videos played during the DT's RCMH concert and found them more to be a distraction from the music (particularly the cartoon) rather than an enhancement to it. A band like DT is another one that doesn't need to rely on pyro/videos/whatever to make the show. The talent in the band should be enough to engage and hold the interest of the attendees...

I remember thinking the same thing for TDEN.  It was refreshing to see DT in Worcester without the video screens.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2010, 11:34:48 AM »

I agree with the underlined part, and disagree with the italicized part.

They would be awesome without anything special, like you said, but effects (in this case) only enhance it. It's like getting a new car, but with the option for it to have... I don't know... movie screens (bad analogy, I know). It can only make it better, but it's still a nice car either way. That's the best I could come up with  :lol.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2010, 07:59:55 PM »
No, Iron Maiden was awesome.

The best part of the night was when the crowd was singing Fear of the Dark. The crowd was louder than Bruce!
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2010, 08:01:20 PM »
I was saying that the lights only added to the experience... so the show would've been less strong, but still amazing.

Offline Slain

« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2010, 11:38:56 PM »
So am I the only one who thought the videos for TDEN and 8VM were cool additions? I mean, come on it's not like they do it for every song

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2010, 04:52:26 PM »
Wait, videos were playing at your gig?

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2010, 06:53:41 AM »
Sounds great. Love the idea of doing the Maiden teasers.

Yeah, they started playing maiden and people started freaking out, I thought for sure they'd do it. Not sure why they couldn't, though.

I wouldn't say they ever intended to play a full Maiden song. They were just trying to tease the crowd I'm sure
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Slain

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2010, 10:27:02 AM »

Nope, was just saying that I liked the backing videos, when he said that it was refreshing to see DT without the videos. They didn't have any at the DC show.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2010, 01:40:58 PM »

Nope, was just saying that I liked the backing videos, when he said that it was refreshing to see DT without the videos. They didn't have any at the DC show.
Ah, yeah they didn't have them at all on this tour as far as I'm concerned. The two camera screens didn't even come on until about halfway through there set.

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2010, 02:04:14 PM »
It was the first time i saw Iron Maiden live and it was the first time i went overseas to see DT..
it was magical..(not in an iPad way,i mean really magical..)

Offline oh8wrx

• The Sassy Lass from Sassafrass
  • I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2010, 04:55:39 PM »
OMG I went to see them and was in the pit out in San Manuel.  Twas awesome beyond belief.  I'd have to say that Iron Maiden was still pretty rockin' too.
Beer: the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2010, 05:00:36 AM »
My first time seeing Maiden, and 2nd time seeing DT.

Both were great. Especially Maiden for not giving into fans and playing newer material. I am bummed I didnt see them on their Somewhere Back In Time tour, but glad to see new songs lilve. since that best represents where Maidens sound is now. Which I like bands to do, play new material and if we get lucky some gems.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2011, 08:24:09 PM »
Maiden and DT are a tie for my fave band! So jealous lol :p