Author Topic: 2010-07-20 - Jiffy Lube Live - Washington, D.C.  (Read 14597 times)

Offline Slain

2010-07-20 - Jiffy Lube Live - Washington, D.C.
« on: March 21, 2010, 10:09:15 AM »
Yeah, formerly Nissan pavilion. Anyone get tickets for this one? I just bought one for standing room in the front.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:44:58 AM by cyberdrummer »
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline Slain

Re: 2010-07-20 - Jiffy Lube Live - Washington, D.C.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 07:15:34 PM »
*bump* anyone?  :biggrin: I'd like to see who of my fellow DTF'ers will be there
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline perfectchaos180

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 10:15:21 PM »
I might be there because its only $35 and I live 40 minutes away, but I doubt we would get much new stuff. Plus as of right now I have no one to go with, so if I can find someone I will probably go.

My anticipated setlist is

A Rite of Passage
Constant Motion
Wither
Panic Attack
Erotomania
Metropolis with extended solos

maybe replace Erotomania with As I Am or something (god I hope not)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 12:09:36 AM »
What a horrible name for a venue  :lol

Offline Slain

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 03:46:11 PM »

You're telling me, man. It went from Nissan Pavilion to what everyone calls "The Lube". And to think, I'm graduating there in a week. Egh.

Offline Slain

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 03:47:31 PM »
I might be there because its only $35 and I live 40 minutes away, but I doubt we would get much new stuff. Plus as of right now I have no one to go with, so if I can find someone I will probably go.

A Rite of Passage
Constant Motion
Wither
Panic Attack
Erotomania

I'm pretty positive there will be no erotomania. That's too long of an instrumental song, most IM fans would be bored or confused

Offline perfectchaos180

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 10:42:29 AM »
I am probably going to go now, just to see Home.

Plus I pretty much have to go. $31 for a seat, and the venue is 30 minutes from where I live, its the easiest concert to make it to ever...

Offline Slain

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 04:31:23 PM »
Hah, the venue is probably 10-15 minutes from me as well, so it's also close.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 05:56:43 AM »
Despite it being the closest venue to me, it's not the show I'm attending.  However, I am hoping to catch Rush in DC in September.

Offline Slain

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 09:31:34 PM »
Despite it being the closest venue to me, it's not the show I'm attending.  However, I am hoping to catch Rush in DC in September.

Same here, although I haven't bought tickets yet. I can't not go to "An Evening With Rush" concert near me, that'd be ridiculous.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 11:52:30 PM »
What is your avatar from Slain.  I know I've seen it somewhere, but I can't place it.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 06:42:05 AM »
I've also wondered that for a long time

Offline Slain

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 06:28:57 AM »
What is your avatar from Slain.  I know I've seen it somewhere, but I can't place it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbZnGk-q9kU

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 12:25:20 PM »
I'll be there in Secion 303. I would be more psyched for this show if not for the fact that I am seeing them in Madison Square Garden the week before. Still, it should be a fun show, especially if there are any shenanigans because it is the last night of the tour...

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 02:51:17 PM »
ah...good ole Tim & Eric.  I knew I saw that before.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »
I'll be attending this one. I'm so pumped. :caffeine:

Section 303 Row M Seats 61-64 with a few of my friends.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 06:54:33 PM »
Is anyone else going to this? It would be cool to meet some of you.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 07:40:39 AM »
Is anyone else going to this? It would be cool to meet some of you.

Did you actually read this thread?

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 08:43:06 AM »
Yes, but no one is planning any kind of meetup...
I AM A GUY

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 10:20:28 AM »
Yes, but no one is planning any kind of meetup...

I find it tough to arrange meet-ups at shows the venue former known as Nissan Pavilion. Between the traffic and the venue sitting in the middle of an industrial park, it is not like you can meet up somewhere and then walk to the venue. Plus, I know I will be coming from work, so that is going to add to the issues getting there in time to see DT for me at least.

However, I am all for putting some faces to the screen names here, so meeting up somewhere in between sets would be cool. Thoughts?

Offline Serpentor

• I am faster than 80% of all snakes
  • DT.net Member
  • I don't want a large Farva, I want a liter of cola
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 10:19:05 AM »

A Rite of Passage
Constant Motion
Wither
Panic Attack
Erotomania

If this show is with IM, then there are no changes to the setlist (see the setlist thread, page 1 if you want spoilers)
Dear Santa,
Please kill Icy for Christmas.

Love,

Everyone

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 06:37:38 AM »
SO EXCITED :caffeine: :caffeine:
I AM A GUY

Offline perfectchaos180

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 11:53:32 AM »
I have decided not to go.... I have no one to go with and really do not care about Iron Maiden, I really really want to see Home, but I will see it eventually.

Part of me wants to go try to scalp some tickets though.

Offline Slain

My First Dream Theater (and Maiden) Concert
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 11:06:07 PM »
It was completely awesome. I was right in the front, I was one of the DT fans singing along with As I Am, cheering and James Labrie pointed at me and nodded right in the beginning (in a cool sort of way, maybe it was my 25th Anniversary Shirt?). Right as they started playing As I Am, it started raining. It was probably the most epic thing I've ever seen. I unfortunately have a shitty iphone camera that couldn't take good pictures of it, but believe me, it was great. They performed all of the songs extremely well, and I was glad to see that there were a lot of DT fans there to get into it, as well as Maiden fans that were enjoying their songs. Some guy behind me and my friend was hillarious, when Jordan came to the front with the keytar he was screaming "OHH MY GOODDDDD HE HAS THE KEYTAR!! OH MY GODDD!!". And during constant motion, in place of some of portnoys vocals he said "RUN TO THE HILLS!" which was cool. Before constant motion they almost, just ALMOST started playing the trooper/run to the hills (they started part of both songs).... But I'm guessing that someone told them they couldn't, or maybe they just decided against it.

Maiden was amazing too, Bruce Dickinson completely nailed the beginning of number of the beast. I've seen them do the song a few times live (just from recordings) and he hasn't nailed it this well in a long time. They were all extremely energetic, and had a badass stage show (as in, Eddie coming out and basically fighting one of the guitarists). I'm a maiden fan, but I wasn't really familiar with a lot of the first half, it was great nonetheless. Fear of the Dark was so intense, I'm glad I finally got to see that live. Another plus was the really hot girl next to me that flashed during the set. I know, not part of the show... but I figure i'd mention it. Maiden is one of the best live bands I've ever seen. I couldn't believe how fun they were to just watch.

Anyone else have any cool stories from a maiden/DT show they went to? I saw the last one, at Jiffy Lube Live in VA, fyi.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
Re: My First Dream Theater (and Maiden) Concert
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 02:35:16 AM »
Sounds great. Love the idea of doing the Maiden teasers.

Offline Slain

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 06:55:41 AM »
Sounds great. Love the idea of doing the Maiden teasers.

Yeah, they started playing maiden and people started freaking out, I thought for sure they'd do it. Not sure why they couldn't, though.

Offline switzman

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 08:06:16 AM »

Yeah, they started playing maiden and people started freaking out, I thought for sure they'd do it. Not sure why they couldn't, though.

A buddy of mine worked crew for load in and load out and tells me the curfew is really tight at Jiffy Lube Live so DT had to keep to the 50 minute set. Funny that they started playing Maiden and MP had to stop and apologize to JP as he had a D-tuned guitar on for home and was having to transcribe the Maiden tunes on the fly!

Offline switzman

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 08:07:32 AM »

I agree. It will always be Nissan Pavilion in my brain. It is becoming known as "The Dipstick" around VA/DC

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 10:20:20 AM »
Oh my god, this concert was awesome.

I think DT didn't really sound that good and I'm not really sure why. When I saw them at PN 09, it was also at an outdoor venue but it was much smaller and they sounded incredible. I think for some reason they make the opening act sound like shit to make the headliner sound better, which I was really disappointed in. Although, I really gained a new appreciation for Constant Motion and As I Am. Home didn't work as well live as I thought it would and all they keyboard solos sounded terrible. Overall, I was a bit disappointed with Dream Theater.  :\

Iron Maiden, on the other hand, was fucking unbelievable. I really learned to appreciate their newer songs because of this performance, particularly Ghost of the Navigator and Blood Brothers. Fear of the Dark was incredible live with everyone singing and all of the classics were just as amazing as I thought they would be.

The funniest moment of the night was during DT's set when Pertucci started playing some Maiden and the guy in front of me yelled "Don't fuck with my emotions!" as if he thought they would play an entire Maiden song. Also, when Pertucci played a bit of The Trooper and had the wrong tuning on his guitar was hilarious.

Overall, it was a very fun night and I can't wait to see DT in a smaller venue. :D Also, I bought 2 shirts: 1 Iron Maiden and 1 DT but  :omg: IT WAS SO EXPENSIVE.
I AM A GUY

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 10:23:46 AM »
I forgot to mention in my little write up that it started to rain right when DT got on stage. It was so epic. I was in section 303 near the back of the pavilion and I was getting a little wet myself. :lol

My post: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=11656.msg519515#msg519515

Also maybe the sound quality of DT had something to do with where my seats were, I'm not really sure. But to me they didn't sound very good.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 10:33:48 AM by zxlkho »
I AM A GUY

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 11:49:06 AM »
Although, I really gained a new appreciation for Constant Motion and As I Am. Home didn't work as well live as I thought it would

Overall, it was a very fun night and I can't wait to see DT in a smaller venue. :D Also, I bought 2 shirts: 1 Iron Maiden and 1 DT but  :omg: IT WAS SO EXPENSIVE.
All of this exactly, except I bought two Iron Maiden shirts and one Dream Theater shirt.

WATER WAS FIVE FUCKING DOLLARS

EDIT: To avoid confusion, I was at the New York show  :P

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 11:59:13 AM »
:rollin
WATER WAS 4 DOLLARS AND PIZZA WAS 6 DOLLARS
I AM A GUY

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2010, 12:02:04 PM »
I starved instead of spending six (probably seven at Madison Square Garden) dollars on food. Although the contact high from the visible cloud of smoke surrounding the seating area did make me pretty hungry... and when I get hungry like that, I get HUNGRY.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2010, 12:04:52 PM »
Yeah I got extremely hungry right before Maiden went on. I actually missed the first song when I was getting pizza.  >:(
But yeah, the contact high made us all decide to go to Taco Bell afterwards. TASTED SO FUCKING GOOD.
I AM A GUY

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2010, 12:30:58 PM »
Dream Theater was incredible as usual. Iron Maiden was boring and redundant. I loved finally hearing Home live. I was disappointed with the short set, but can understand why it had to be done.

I went with a Maiden/DT fan who said that Maiden's stage shows were so amazing. Ugh no..... space junk plus banner slides plus a goon walking around for one song does not make a better stage show than a virtuoso at every instrument and a VIDEO SHOW. But I thought Bruce was electric he's a great front man. The rest of the band was blash.

Dream Theater owned as always.